PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoman: Brokeback Cowboys Rat Out Sooners

SoonerShark
4/20/2006, 05:09 AM
http://newsok.com/article/1820988/?template=sports/ou

Sampson: "OSU turned us in"

By George Schroeder and Mike Baldwin
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Bedlam extended into the NCAA’s investigation of the Oklahoma basketball program.

Former Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson told NCAA investigators that Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton once called out Sampson for the actions of an assistant coach. And Sampson said he first had an inkling his program was under NCAA investigation when recruits said OSU coaches had told them that.

“Every kid that we were recruiting... Oklahoma State told them that we were going to be banned from this or put on probation for that if we were getting investigated,” Sampson told NCAA investigators during the second of four interviews. “Every kid that we recruited, they had told them that.”

Sampson said he heard similar stories from recruits over the course of several years. The NCAA investigation began in 2001; OU did not receive the official notice of inquiry until May 2004.

Sampson, who took the Indiana job last month, is scheduled along with OU officials to meet with the NCAA committee on infractions committee on Friday in Park City, Utah. There, they will be questioned about allegations of more than 550 impermissible telephone calls to 17 recruits from 2000-04. According to transcripts of interviews obtained under terms of the state’s open records law, Sampson said Sutton approached him in an airport and informed him that then-assistant Ray Lopes had made an improper phone call to speak to juniors in a hotel room during a summer tournament.

Sampson also said then-SMU coach Mike Dement had informed him of a rules violation involving then-OU assistant Jim Shaw.

Eddie Sutton, who has taken a leave of absence while facing DUI charges related to a car accident, was not available for comment. But his son, OSU interim coach Sean Sutton, acknowledged his father’s conversation with Sampson.

“We had some concerns what was going on with some phone calls that had been going on during the summer,” Sean Sutton said Wednesday. “I know my dad had a conversation with Kelvin to address those concerns. We were told Kelvin was not aware of those things taking place, that he would address it and it would not be an issue in the future.”

Although Sampson said Eddie Sutton approached him only once, he said “Oklahoma State turned us in on a bunch of stuff, I know that.’ And he said OSU coaches routinely engaged in “negative recruiting” against OU, saying among other things, they told recruits OU was a football school and OSU was a basketball school.

Sean Sutton declined comment when asked if OSU turned OU in to the NCAA. He denied OSU coaches told recruits OU was going on probation - “We never said that,” he said - and said the OSU staff had not engaged in negative recruiting.

“That is not true,” Sean Sutton said. “One thing we believe in very strongly is we do not negative-recruit people. We have one of the best places in the country to go to school to play basketball... We never spend time downgrading other schools.”

Sean Sutton did say OSU sometimes would “show a recruit the facts.”

“But it’s more a positive about your school than a negative about another school,” Sean Sutton said. “When you have one of the best arenas in the country, win championships and have players in the NBA and good graduation rates, you want to showcase those things compared to other schools.”

Sampson told investigators OU coaches did not negatively recruit. And he said OSU was the only school that consistently negatively recruited.

“It’s only one school,” Sampson said. “It’s never Kansas. It’s never ... Texas ... O-State was the only one. The only thing I surmised out of that, well, who knows with those people."

SoonerShark
4/20/2006, 05:18 AM
Seriously, why would anyone go to OSU? Have you heard Sean speak? He sounds like one of Nicholas Cage's characters. I cannot see the dope dealers that OSU recruits putting up with that if something shoddy were not going on up there. It cannot be Eddie's pulling out his willy and urinating on public middle schools that draw them, though Byron Houston commented that is why he continues to be proud of his affiliation with the Brokebacks between probation appearances for his numerous felonious transgressions.

Taxman71
4/20/2006, 06:52 AM
Another example of why the pukes are beneath us in every way. The penis envy of OU now extends to the Sutton family.

The VIIIth
4/20/2006, 07:14 AM
This is merely one raison d'etre I hate these aggie c@cksckers and their legendary inferiority complex...

False indignance from an alchoholic hypocrite...the lady he ran into shOUld sue the drunk scumbag, osu and his car door head son just for being one of the ugliest human beings I have ever seen and whose pathetic replies in this article make me think even less of him than I did before

By George Schroeder and Mike Baldwin
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Bedlam extended into the NCAA’s investigation of the Oklahoma basketball program.
Reynolds asks out of letter of intent

Former Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson told NCAA investigators that Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton once called out Sampson for the actions of an assistant coach. And Sampson said he first had an inkling his program was under NCAA investigation when recruits said OSU coaches had told them that.

“Every kid that we were recruiting... Oklahoma State told them that we were going to be banned from this or put on probation for that if we were getting investigated,” Sampson told NCAA investigators during the second of four interviews. “Every kid that we recruited, they had told them that.”

Sampson said he heard similar stories from recruits over the course of several years. The NCAA investigation began in 2001; OU did not receive the official notice of inquiry until May 2004.

Sampson, who took the Indiana job last month, is scheduled along with OU officials to meet with the NCAA committee on infractions committee on Friday in Park City, Utah. There, they will be questioned about allegations of more than 550 impermissible telephone calls to 17 recruits from 2000-04. According to transcripts of interviews obtained under terms of the state’s open records law, Sampson said Sutton approached him in an airport and informed him that then-assistant Ray Lopes had made an improper phone call to speak to juniors in a hotel room during a summer tournament.

Sampson also said then-SMU coach Mike Dement had informed him of a rules violation involving then-OU assistant Jim Shaw.

Eddie Sutton, who has taken a leave of absence while facing DUI charges related to a car accident, was not available for comment. But his son, OSU interim coach Sean Sutton, acknowledged his father’s conversation with Sampson.

“We had some concerns what was going on with some phone calls that had been going on during the summer,” Sean Sutton said Wednesday. “I know my dad had a conversation with Kelvin to address those concerns. We were told Kelvin was not aware of those things taking place, that he would address it and it would not be an issue in the future.”

Although Sampson said Eddie Sutton approached him only once, he said “Oklahoma State turned us in on a bunch of stuff, I know that.’ And he said OSU coaches routinely engaged in “negative recruiting” against OU, saying among other things, they told recruits OU was a football school and OSU was a basketball school.

Sean Sutton declined comment when asked if OSU turned OU in to the NCAA. He denied OSU coaches told recruits OU was going on probation - “We never said that,” he said - and said the OSU staff had not engaged in negative recruiting.

“That is not true,” Sean Sutton said. “One thing we believe in very strongly is we do not negative-recruit people. We have one of the best places in the country to go to school to play basketball... We never spend time downgrading other schools.”

Sean Sutton did say OSU sometimes would “show a recruit the facts.”

“But it’s more a positive about your school than a negative about another school,” Sean Sutton said. “When you have one of the best arenas in the country, win championships and have players in the NBA and good graduation rates, you want to showcase those things compared to other schools.”

Sampson told investigators OU coaches did not negatively recruit. And he said OSU was the only school that consistently negatively recruited.

“It’s only one school,” Sampson said. “It’s never Kansas. It’s never ... Texas ... O-State was the only one. The only thing I surmised out of that, well, who knows with them people.

Newbomb Turk
4/20/2006, 07:21 AM
I didn't really need another reason to hate the aggies.

sooner518
4/20/2006, 07:25 AM
“When you have one of the best arenas in the country, win championships and ....

wtf?

since 1970, they've won one outright conference championship and shared another.

auto
4/20/2006, 07:46 AM
The article did get one thing right OU is a football school and the other isn't:D

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 07:54 AM
From another site...

http://www.oubasketballblog.com/graphics/ratboy.jpg

OklahomaTuba
4/20/2006, 08:20 AM
So, not only is eddie a drunk, he is a POS drunk.

And to think I actually liked the guy at one time. What an ***.

milesl
4/20/2006, 08:34 AM
son of a btch. didnt texas tell on us with darrell royal on our football program. i think payback is a btch, and we should hire investigators to find sht on their programs.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/20/2006, 08:44 AM
Illegal phone calls. Ooooo boogey boogey boogey.

OUstud
4/20/2006, 08:44 AM
I hate Aggy more than anyone or anything.

OUstud
4/20/2006, 08:45 AM
He's always been a piece of shiite. A drunk and a cheater. What could be better? :eddie:

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 08:56 AM
He's always been a piece of shiite. A drunk and a cheater. What could be better? :eddie:

Okay, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but does it seem strange to anyone else to call Sutton a cheater in a thread where he allegedly turned us in for........cheating?

I hate aggy as much as the next guy but I'm kind of thinking that if you don't want to get turned in for NCAA infractions, you might want to consider not committing them. Maybe it's just me.

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 09:07 AM
I can't believe the world of **** OU is in for some extra phone calls while Texas is buying houses and vehicles for parents of recruits and nobody gives a second thought about that. ****ing bull****. :mad:

TopDaugIn2000
4/20/2006, 09:08 AM
“When you have one of the best arenas in the country, win championships and have players in the NBA and good graduation rates, you want to showcase those things compared to other schools.”

Can't.......stop......laughing.......

“It’s only one school,” Sampson said. “It’s never Kansas. It’s never ... Texas ... O-State was the only one. The only thing I surmised out of that, well, who knows with those people."

TEEEHEEEHEEEHEEE

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/20/2006, 09:21 AM
Little know fact:

:eddie: once worked as a fluffer on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

I find nothing in this story suprising, except the fact that Sutton bothered to talk to Sampson at all.

crawfish
4/20/2006, 09:29 AM
Sutton obviously doesn't regard the laws against drunk driving as important enough to follow...not sure why he cares about phone calls. :)

Crimsontothecore
4/20/2006, 09:30 AM
Not surprising at all. The phone calls were illegal...period, but what about head coaches drinking on campus? What about campus police helping a staggering-drunk coach get into his car and allowing him to drive away? What about all those assistants (Sean?) who were part of the cover-up? Oh...I forgot...osu did an investigation and found no wrong doing on the part of ANYONE! unbelievable. Just another illustration of how classless the "Jealous kid sisters" are.

Crimsontothecore
4/20/2006, 09:31 AM
Sutton obviously doesn't regard the laws against drunk driving as important enough to follow...not sure why he cares about phone calls. :)
TRIPLE-DOUBLE DITTO!!

TheHumanAlphabet
4/20/2006, 10:35 AM
My response to the Joklahoman...Wonder how long it will be up?

Simply AMAZING! The LosuRs to the north are so envious of OU that they resort to denigrating OU on the recruiting path while trying to grab recruits. Sad state when the aggies can't get recruits on the merits of their own program, but have to beat down the other program in the state. Before defending what Sutton, did, perhaps those in aggieville should look closer to home to the drinking at work, the cover-up by LosuR police and athletic department officials and the drunk driving and accident causing coach who hadn't reformed from when he was booted out of Kentucky! I would be so proud if I wer an aggie. At least all Sampson and his staff did was CALL people, not run into them while breaking the law!
Eric, Houston - Apr 20, 2006 10:33 AM

Taxman71
4/20/2006, 10:51 AM
Should we rat out Eddie for urinating on the Stillwater Middle School during a secret recruiting visit to an 8th grader?

SoonerShark
4/20/2006, 12:33 PM
Should we rat out Eddie for urinating on the Stillwater Middle School during a secret recruiting visit to an 8th grader?

In all fairness, it was at least an 8th grade girl he was recruiting.

Collier11
4/20/2006, 01:47 PM
Seriously guys, I realize it is kind of grade school playground-ish to turn in OU over phone calls, but in all fairness Eddie did go to Kelvin first and give him a chance and Kelvin is the one who broke the rules. Maybe its about time that Kelvin stopped whining and took responsibility for his actions??

TheHumanAlphabet
4/20/2006, 01:52 PM
I'm real close to negging you just for standing up for aggie!!! ;)

Collier11
4/20/2006, 01:54 PM
I got ya there, but trust me im not standing up for Eddie or any other aggie Im just wanting Kelvin to be a man about this. He represented OU well for so long and now its like he forgot what responsibility for himself is all about

TheHumanAlphabet
4/20/2006, 01:59 PM
Got you there...He seems to be minimizing in order to get a whooo...

How can you not know how many calls are made? His fault for not using untraceable throw away cell phones like the other people use...;)

Collier11
4/20/2006, 02:03 PM
possibly, whats funny to me is he says alot of those were when he called and didnt get an answer. Well ****, if I was a recruit and this guy was basically stalking me just to talk to me I would start to wonder. "hey uh coach, its good to hear from you.....for the 22nd time this week, ya I love you too coach" ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
4/20/2006, 03:36 PM
Our Coaching staff called recruits too much..
There coach tried to kill a woman with his White Durango hitting her 3 times......

Is running over someone<calling someone?....

Scott D
4/20/2006, 03:39 PM
I find irony in Eddie Sutton turning anyone in for 'illegal' activities when he was well known for having his staff fed ex payments to recruits parents when he was at Kentucky.

william_brasky
4/20/2006, 03:54 PM
If someone were to know about illegal activities, it would be Eddie. The NCAA should employ Eddie after he "retires" to be their crime dog.

Also, Kelvin needs to stop crying like a little girl. Wahhh! Poor wittle Kelvy.

Collier11
4/20/2006, 07:13 PM
No one ever said what eddie did was less serious than what kelvin did. They are completely different circumstances and we are not talking about what eddie did, we are talking about kelvin taking responsibility for his actions. No one is saying that kelvin is a bad person, but he did screw up and I still dont think he has stepped up and said he was wrong, he has just whined and blamed it on others

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 07:32 PM
No one ever said what eddie did was less serious than what kelvin did. They are completely different circumstances and we are not talking about what eddie did, we are talking about kelvin taking responsibility for his actions. No one is saying that kelvin is a bad person, but he did screw up and I still dont think he has stepped up and said he was wrong, he has just whined and blamed it on others

Not that I'm defending Kelvin or anything, but from what I hear, making a few phone calls is child's play compared to what many many other schools are doing in basketball recruiting. There is another school in the Big 12 South that is making the Albert Means ordeal look like pocket change, but the really serious crap just gets ignored, almost appearing to be accepted even.

Basketball recruiting is a vicious, filthy business, and if being on the frequent caller plan is all Kelvin's program was guilty of, I can see why he would be a little perturbed about the situation.

william_brasky
4/20/2006, 07:36 PM
Eddie told on Kelvy. Now Kelvy is cwying, and Eddie has to sit in the corner for being a naughty boy. This all reminds me of little childrens.

william_brasky
4/20/2006, 07:38 PM
We were under investigation from 2001-2004 I believe, and that's all they can come up with? We're clean, clean, clean. If sanctions are more than what we've imposed on ourselves, I'll be to'd (ticked off).

OUGreg723
4/20/2006, 07:54 PM
**** OSU. They have to resort to lying to be great. And they still arent. Cheaters never prosper. I knew great schools like Kansas and Texas would never sink to that level. They dont need to be liitle girls. They've been there. This is why OSU never has and never will be great. **** THEM.

goingoneight
4/20/2006, 10:22 PM
Do we need a No-Brokeback-Day of the week like Tuesday special?

GottaHavePride
4/21/2006, 12:59 AM
Way to **** on your football program, there, :eddie:.

Crimsontothecore
4/21/2006, 02:38 AM
I find irony in Eddie Sutton turning anyone in for 'illegal' activities when he was well known for having his staff fed ex payments to recruits parents when he was at Kentucky.
Eddie Sutton's bitterness is what drives him to rat on OU. Don't forget, Kentucky was his dream job until they ran his cheating, drunken, player-paying a** out of town. he only took the osu job because it was the only school in the nation that would hire him. Imagine how depressing it must be to know the only job you can get is at that hellhole in stoolwater. kinda makes sense why he tried to stay sloshed.

CobraKai
4/21/2006, 09:15 AM
Imagine how depressing it must be to know the only job you can get is at that hellhole in stoolwater

For some reason I am picturing Nigel St. Tufnells of Spinal Tap singing "Hellhole" right now...

"In a Hellhole...you know where you stand in a Hellhole...please get me back to my Hellhole..."

Didn't realize he was singing about Stillwater, but it makes sense.

Taxman71
4/21/2006, 09:49 AM
Eddie Sutton's bitterness is what drives him to rat on OU. Don't forget, Kentucky was his dream job until they ran his cheating, drunken, player-paying a** out of town. he only took the osu job because it was the only school in the nation that would hire him. Imagine how depressing it must be to know the only job you can get is at that hellhole in stoolwater. kinda makes sense why he tried to stay sloshed.

Kind of explains why Eddie isn't in the basketball hall of fame and likely won't be in the near future. Surely, other coaches don't take kindly to a fellow coach being a rat on top of a cheat.

SoonerShark
4/21/2006, 10:44 AM
Do we need a No-Brokeback-Day of the week like Tuesday special?

Outside of Gallagher Hall there is a statue of sweaty men rolling on the ground together. In 2002, when we went to Stillwater for the OU-osu football game, my sister-in-law was walking into the game, spotted the writhing pair in the statue and exclaimed, "Oh my God, what are they doing?" Of course, it was a depiction of wrestlers, but to the uninitiated, it seemed like two of the Village People warming up full contact before their Fire Island Tribute to Sodomy show.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/21/2006, 11:05 AM
Outside of Gallagher Hall there is a statue of sweaty men rolling on the ground together. In 2002, when we went to Stillwater for the OU-osu football game, my sister-in-law was walking into the game, spotted the writhing pair in the statue and exclaimed, "Oh my God, what are they doing?" Of course, it was a depiction of wrestlers, but to the uninitiated, it seemed like two of the Village People warming up full contact before their Fire Island Tribute to Sodomy show.

<<<<<It wasn't those guys by chance?

"Keeping it on the down-low: A History of OSU wrestling" where Men's Health and Animal Husbandry books are sold.

picasso
4/21/2006, 11:28 AM
Sean does have us on the NBA statement. that's one thing that always bugged me about Sampson.

SoonerShark
4/21/2006, 12:31 PM
<<<<<It wasn't those guys by chance?

"Keeping it on the down-low: A History of OSU wrestling" where Men's Health and Animal Husbandry books are sold.

You forgot about its sequel "Peggin' Hiney."

Jeopardude
4/22/2006, 10:08 PM
Bitter runts. That's all they are.

You can come to OU, learn the humanities, philosophy, sciences or the world of business. Or you can go to Stoolwater and learn where to plant alfalfa and how to give your livestock enemas.

No wonder "those people" have such chips on their shoulders.