PDA

View Full Version : I've developed an affinity for Red Beans and rice

royalfan5
4/19/2006, 06:08 PM
I didn't start eating this stuff until recently. In hindsight I should have started eating red beans and rice earlier, however it's really not a typical midwest dish. Also on the downside, I'm eating out of a box from a store and I am sure it's much better from a real Cajun resturant, of which are in short supply here.

Scott D
4/19/2006, 06:12 PM
mmmmmm red beans and rice......with cornbread and lots of hot sauce.

royalfan5
4/19/2006, 06:14 PM
mmmmmm red beans and rice......with cornbread and lots of hot sauce.
crud, I didn't even think of having cornbread with it. I should have though since cornbread makes everything better.(smacking forehead)

Scott D
4/19/2006, 06:16 PM
you missed the important part..lots and lots of hot sauce...quit bein so caucasian :D

NormanPride
Cornbread is the delicious golden dinnercake of the masses. And yes I just made up "dinnercake".

walkoffsooner
flour and corn tortilla's are good to

royalfan5
4/19/2006, 06:17 PM
you missed the important part..lots and lots of hot sauce...quit bein so caucasian :D
I'll add the hot sauce when I finish off the leftovers tomorrow.

SoonerWood
4/19/2006, 06:24 PM
mmmm red beans and rice

Pearl's is beckoning

yermom
4/19/2006, 06:25 PM

i take offense to this remark :D

SoonerWood
4/19/2006, 06:26 PM
if your making them at home, add a little bit of liquid smoke while your cooking them, it's a secret ingredient that certain cajun places use

Scott D
4/19/2006, 06:27 PM
i take offense to this remark :D

I send you a negative image of your avatar ;)

goodonya
4/19/2006, 06:42 PM
I was fortunate enough to marry a real live coonass back in 1984. My culinary universe expanded 3-fold. I discovered dirty rice dressing for T-Giving, spring crawfish, and a plethora of delights since. Keep foraging through the sector and you'll find a feast.

etouffee
4/19/2006, 06:54 PM
Also on the downside, I'm eating out of a box from a store and I am sure it's much better from a real Cajun resturant.Actually no. I've been eating RBR for 35 or so years now, and I've only found ONE restaurant that makes it anywhere as good as you can do it at home. Very few so-called "Cajun" restaurants, even here in Louisiana, even get CLOSE to good Cajun/Creole cooking. Most of em' just shake a buncha pepper on their food so it's absurdly hot, and call it Cajun. That seems to be what the tourists want, but that's not the real deal.

You can actually make a damned fine pot of RBR starting with one of those boxed kits. You just need to add the right spices. And when it's cooked, mash up some of the beans and stir them back in, to thicken the gravy; it shouldn't be watery, it should be almost pasty.

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2006, 07:31 PM
Red beans and rice are VERY tastey. I prefered it as the poor-college student meal of choice over Ramen noodles.

slickdawg
4/19/2006, 07:44 PM
Come get 'em every Monday down here.

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 08:17 PM
Actually no. I've been eating RBR for 35 or so years now, and I've only found ONE restaurant that makes it anywhere as good as you can do it at home. Very few so-called "Cajun" restaurants, even here in Louisiana, even get CLOSE to good Cajun/Creole cooking. Most of em' just shake a buncha pepper on their food so it's absurdly hot, and call it Cajun. That seems to be what the tourists want, but that's not the real deal.

You can actually make a damned fine pot of RBR starting with one of those boxed kits. You just need to add the right spices. And when it's cooked, mash up some of the beans and stir them back in, to thicken the gravy; it shouldn't be watery, it should be almost pasty.
I don't know how it works with red beans, but with pinto beans you thicken the gravy by cooking the hell out of the beans. Soak them overnight, then cook them all day with plenty of salt pork, garlic, and jalepenos. They are done when the juice is thick and they start turning a bit darker color. Or at least that's how I do it. Screw the rice though, just make plenty of sweet cornbread.

I don't know a lot, but I know how to cook some damn good pinto beans. Red beans? Not so much.

olevetonahill
4/19/2006, 08:25 PM
I don't know how it works with red beans, but with pinto beans you thicken the gravy by cooking the hell out of the beans. Soak them overnight, then cook them all day with plenty of salt pork, garlic, and jalepenos. They are done when the juice is thick and they start turning a bit darker color. Or at least that's how I do it. Screw the rice though, just make plenty of sweet cornbread.

I don't know a lot, but I know how to cook some damn good pinto beans. Red beans? Not so much.

Norm Are you a dayum Yankee ?
Red beans = pinto
And "sweet cornbread " :eek:

etouffee
4/19/2006, 08:32 PM
Red beans = pinto
sorry, but red beans definitely NOT = pinto

perhaps you're thinking kidney beans?

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2006, 08:36 PM
Popeye's red beans and rice = nummins.

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 08:42 PM
Norm Are you a dayum Yankee ?
Red beans = pinto
And "sweet cornbread " :eek:
I'm 100% okie
Brown beans = pinto
Red beans = Red beans
And sweet cornbread rules. I frickin' hate the crumbly stuff. The crust on sweet cornbread is one of the best things known to man.

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 08:45 PM
Oh, and you finish that up with fried potatoes cooked with onions (wild garlic with the greens are better), iced tea, and a hunk of watonga cheddar cheese. You may also throw in a green onion if you desire.

etouffee
4/19/2006, 08:48 PM
all sounds good cept the sweet cornbread part. i prefer the unsweet kind made with white cornmeal, not yellow.

slickdawg
4/19/2006, 08:48 PM
all sounds good cept the sweet cornbread part. i prefer the unsweet kind made with white cornmeal, not yellow.

Ditto - that's yer suthurn roots showing. :)

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/19/2006, 08:51 PM
Oh, and you finish that up with fried potatoes cooked with onions (wild garlic with the greens are better), iced tea, and a hunk of watonga cheddar cheese. You may also throw in a green onion if you desire.

Maybe it's just the beer talking, but I've never found you more attractive than I do at this moment.

C&CDean
4/19/2006, 08:51 PM
For the first time in his entire existence, Norm posted something worth reading. True story. Only jalapeno cheese cornbread instead of sweet and you got it goin' on.

I eat RBR at least once a week. Lots of Lousiana hot sauce, a little shredded cheddar on top, sometimes a dash of vinegar. It's especially good with fried pork tenderloins or blackened fish (crappie, walleye, bass, bluegill). Momma makes blackened fish in a cast iron skillet on the grill. Damn good stuff.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/19/2006, 08:53 PM
Dean, you make the rbr from a mix or from scratch?

Let me rephrase that... Your wife make the rbr from a mix or from scratch?

C&CDean
4/19/2006, 08:55 PM
Dean, you make the rbr from a mix or from scratch?

Let me rephrase that... Your wife make the rbr from a mix or from scratch?

She starts with a box of Zatarains and then takes it from there. I've seen her dump hunks of ham, onions, peas, and all kinds of spices/veggies/animal by-products in it. It's always damn good eats.

etouffee
4/19/2006, 09:03 PM
sounds like a pretty tasty variation on a theme, but i'll stick with the traditional version. red beans, rice, unsweet cornbread, and some good smoked sausage.

yermom
4/19/2006, 09:05 PM
For the first time in his entire existence, Norm posted something worth reading. True story. Only jalapeno cheese cornbread instead of sweet and you got it goin' on.

I eat RBR at least once a week. Lots of Lousiana hot sauce, a little shredded cheddar on top, sometimes a dash of vinegar. It's especially good with fried pork tenderloins or blackened fish (crappie, walleye, bass, bluegill). Momma makes blackened fish in a cast iron skillet on the grill. Damn good stuff.

you know, i thought it was you posting at first, all i saw were the stars. it wasn't until someone quoted him and said his name did i realize it was :norm: and not :dean:

and i don't care what kinda cornbread it is :D

olevetonahill
4/19/2006, 09:08 PM
sorry, but red beans definitely NOT = pinto

perhaps you're thinking kidney beans?
Nope Im thinkin Red
Just what my family has called em ALL my life ! so far that is :D

yermom
4/19/2006, 09:12 PM
yeah, Pinto Beans are the brown ones with the spots on them

i think Red Beans and Kindey Beans are the same thing

C&CDean
4/19/2006, 09:14 PM
sounds like a pretty tasty variation on a theme, but i'll stick with the traditional version. red beans, rice, unsweet cornbread, and some good smoked sausage.

She does them with andouille and "debris" too. Momma don't waste nothin'. She even made them with leftover Slovacek Jalapeno sausages once. You just pretty much can't **** up RBR.

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 09:39 PM
VZDs uses andouille sausage and green chilis in their RBR. it's good.

And maaaan - you guys are missing out on the sweet cornbread.

olevetonahill
4/19/2006, 09:41 PM

Naw I want MY cake after supper ;)

ChickSoonerFan
4/19/2006, 09:43 PM
I know this it totally off subject and not to thread-jack or anything....but......

I am not sure I have ever seen Norm, Beano and Dean all post in the same thread so close together...I mean I am sure it has happend but I don't think I have ever witnessed it till now...

It was kind of confusing in a scary sort of way. :confused:

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2006, 09:59 PM
She starts with a box of Zatarains and then takes it from there. I've seen her dump hunks of ham, onions, peas, and all kinds of spices/veggies/animal by-products in it. It's always damn good eats.

If you haven't tried it, have momma bust out Zatarains Dirty Rice and add all that stuff. We have it at least once a week made with ground turkey.

Nummins.

GottaHavePride
4/19/2006, 09:59 PM

What has to happen to transform regular cornbread into sweet cornbread? I may try this out next time I'm in a cornbread mood.

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 10:03 PM
I put about 3/4 cup of sugar in the mix. Hold on - I'll get my recipe...

GottaHavePride
4/19/2006, 10:06 PM
I eagerly await the Recipe of the Norm.

(And I figured a bunch of sugar was involved; I was wondering if there are any other tweaks.) ;)

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 10:11 PM
Did you hold on?

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil/ melted shortening
1.5 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
2.25 tsp baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat to 450
grease 8 or 9" square pan
Combine ingredients in order listed
Stir until smooth
Pour batter in pan. If it's not pourable, add a little milk
Bake 20-25 minutes

OK - that's the recipe, but I put at least half a cup of sugar in it, but usually more like 3/4. The sugar makes it take a little longer to cook too, probably more like 30 minutes. The top should be brown and the insides shouldn't stick too much to a toothpick when you insert it into the middle (although it should NOT be really clean when you pull it out). The best is to grease a cast iron skillet, put it into the oven until it is scalding hot, pour the batter in there THEN cook it. But you should perfect the basic recipe first before you go messing with it.

Zbird
4/19/2006, 10:20 PM
One word for y'all wantin' the easy way out Zatarains. Best mix around for RBR or dirty rice. Want it better? Add a few boiled shrimp and or Andouille to ther RBR plus Louisiana Hot Sauce NOT Tobasco. For the dirty rice, add a little ground chorizo or just a little Jimmy Deans hot ground sausage.

IIIIIIIIIIaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeee!

Zbird
4/19/2006, 10:26 PM
yeah, Pinto Beans are the brown ones with the spots on them

i think Red Beans and Kindey Beans are the same thing

WRONG! red beans are about 1/3 the size of kidney beans and not as dark red.

GottaHavePride
4/19/2006, 10:30 PM
Did you hold on?

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil/ melted shortening
1.5 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
2.25 tsp baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat to 450
grease 8 or 9" square pan
Combine ingredients in order listed
Stir until smooth
Pur batter in pan. If it's not pourable, add a little milk
Bake 20-25 minutes

OK - that's the recipe, but I put at least half a cup of sugar in it, but usually more like 3/4. The sugar makes it take a little longer to cook too, probably more like 30 minutes. The top should be brown and the insides shouldn't stick too much to a toothpick when you insert it into the middle (although it should NOT be really clean when you pull it out). The best is to grease a cast iron skillet, put it into the oven until it is scalding hot, pour the batter in there THEN cook it. But you should perfect the basic recipe first before you go messing with it.

Excellent.

GottaHavePride
4/19/2006, 10:33 PM
One word for y'all wantin' the easy way out Zatarains. Best mix around for RBR or dirty rice. Want it better? Add a few boiled shrimp and or Andouille to ther RBR plus Louisiana Hot Sauce NOT Tobasco. For the dirty rice, add a little ground chorizo or just a little Jimmy Deans hot ground sausage.

IIIIIIIIIIaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeee!

similarly I had a guy tell me that in order to properly doctor the Zatarain's jambalaya mix you add an extra cup of rice, and out of the total amount of water needed for all that rice you replace one cup of water with an 8 oz. can of plain tomato sauce.

His exact words were "Zatarains made that **** too damn hot. Thin it out, and if you want it hot you put Tabasco sauce on it like God intended!"

Zbird
4/19/2006, 10:35 PM
I eagerly await the Recipe of the Norm.

(And I figured a bunch of sugar was involved; I was wondering if there are any other tweaks.) JIF Muffin Mix -- Cheap, Sweet, Good! I'm with Norm on this one, but I also like a few chopped hot peppers added but Miz Zbird doesn't so I don't get it that way unless she's gone and I cook.

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 10:38 PM
JIF Muffin Mix -- Cheap, Sweet, Good! I'm with Norm on this one, but I also like a few chopped hot peppers added but Miz Zbird doesn't so I don't get it that way unless she's gone and I cook.
I've always wanted some jalapenos in the mix, but my wife won't let me. I like sweet and spicy hot combined. With the beans, she'll only let me throw in 1 jalapeno with all of the seeds removed. I like to put 2 or 3 in there that are just split in half, but "that's too hot".

I don't like that vinegary hot sauce (like tobasco or Louisiana) in my beans.

Zbird
4/19/2006, 10:41 PM
similarly I had a guy tell me that in order to properly doctor the Zatarain's jambalaya mix you add an extra cup of rice, and out of the total amount of water needed for all that rice you replace one cup of water with an 8 oz. can of plain tomato sauce.

His exact words were "Zatarains made that **** too damn hot. Thin it out, and if you want it hot you put Tabasco sauce on it like God intended!"

Yeah, Zatarain's Gumbo mis is good, but needs Okra, stewed tomatos and MEAT of your choice, chicken, turkey, Andouille, shrimp, or crawfish. I prefer the latter two,

Zbird
4/19/2006, 10:42 PM

Yeah, Zatarain's Gumbo mix is good too, but needs Okra, stewed tomatos and MEAT of your choice, chicken, turkey, Andouille, shrimp, or crawfish. I prefer the latter two,