PDA

View Full Version : Defense

RedstickSooner
4/19/2006, 03:09 PM
So, I'm reading in a locked thread over here, and a fellow Sooner seems to be trembling like a Chiuhaha in Alaska at the menacing beast which is Mr. Chuzzlewitt's defense. Or whatever the **** the name is of the Tejan defco.

Dude even went so far as to call him the Mike Leach of defense.

Which got me thinking.

Isn't Bob Stoops supposed to be one of them whatchamacallits... Defensive smarty-pants? Have we lost faith to such an extent that we no longer expect more than, say, above-average coaching on defense, if that?

I mean, c'mon - depth wise, talent-wise, this may be the best defense we've had. Sure, we don't have a superstar like Roy Williams, but we've got very good to superb players across the board.

More importantly, the thing which has defined the better Stoops units has been rotation. We thrive on having fresh DTs and DEs on the field at all times, and this season we can afford to do so constantly -- we've got endless depth at DE, and very good depth at DT. Short of a half-dozen defensive linemen getting injured (I wouldn't put it past the footbal gods) we'll have dudes out there every snap playing as if they were about to get yanked for the rest of the game -- 'cuz the odds are good they *will* get yanked for the rest of the game.

Linebackers are, yet again, a solid, strong unit. One of the, what, top 5 in the country? Certainly top ten.

Corners are awesome. For the first time in years, we've got two corners who can each run with anyone, and stay right on their hip in man coverage. There were about 4 years in a row (mostly the Mike Stoops years) when it seemed like we couldn't get a cover corner no matter what we did. Now we've got two of the best.

I haven't heard as much analysis about the safeties, and safeties are something I don't really feel qualified to judge -- always seems like the only time you hear their names called is when somebody screws up. But folks seem to feel ours are decent, right?

So, you add it all up, you've got a defense without gaps. Without a weakness. Why isn't this grounds for chest-thumping, smack-talking enthusiasm? Just because we don't have Chuzzlewitt running the show?

Heck, we've got Bob Stoops. And he seems to think Venables is capable enough of handling things. Venables, for his part, seems to be taking things a bit more seriously this season - anyone notice him yelling at people after every play in the Spring game?

If we can't produce a dominant, best-in-the-land defense with the players we've got this season (barring injury) then I say we fire Venables, demote Bobby Jack Wright, and give Stoops the defco hat.

After all, it isn't like we aren't paying the boy enough.

Being scared of the Horns defco? WTF? I could've sworn we already had a defensive genius on the payroll. If there's some other defensive genius better 'n ours, we sure as hell shouldn't be shelling out the kinda cash we're shelling out to keep ours on staff, now should we?

Stoops is a name that used to strike fear into opposing offenses. (And, no, I *don't* mean Mike) I say this is the season where they remember that fear.

BASSooner
4/19/2006, 03:13 PM
Chizik is great but he is no mike stoops/brent venables. This will be the time for Venables to prove how great he is at controlling the whole unit. OUr defense will be better than the steers. I'm not worried

MojoRisen
4/19/2006, 03:20 PM
As long as we are playing with a Physical presence on Defense we should be great- We need to get our mean on- and it sounds like the Safty's are going to be good- Nic Harris and Keenan Clayton are big and fast and great athletes who can hit- Jason Carter is a gamer and a huge competitor where he lacks in size and athletiscism - although he is not bad in that department either- Darren Williams is not a bad player at all- I hear about more upside in the other two though.

RedstickSooner
4/19/2006, 03:21 PM
Seems to me that Venables (and maybe even Stoops) is one of those "grand plan" sorts of defensive coaches. What I mean by that, is that they want a total package to implement their ideal defense. They don't like to design a gimmick defense to take advantage of a few strengths and try to mask some weaknesses.

Mike seemed better suited to an attacking defense that could mask its weaknesses -- it'd pressure the opposing offense so much that it rarely had time to realize that our coverage had broken down, or whatever. But that sort of defense, if the offense adjusts well, can get totally punked. As we saw a few times.

Bob was more what a big-time school should be able to support -- a guy who needed every player to play well, so offenses couldn't adjust. But what the heck do I know. Only thing I *do* know is that a love-in for coach Chicklet annoys the crud out of me. Texas doesn't have some sort of monopoly on the defensive brain trust, yo.

Chicklet sure didn't seem like much of a genius in the Rose Bowl, either -- like someone said on another thread, you give up that many points, you don't have a stellar defense.

toast
4/19/2006, 03:25 PM
I believe ut's defensive performance in last year's game had more to do with us having a down offensive year and AD's injury, but that's just me.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 03:27 PM
I mean, c'mon - depth wise, talent-wise, this may be the best defense we've had. Sure, we don't have a superstar like Roy Williams, but we've got very good to superb players across the board.

2000 and 2001 were deeper and had NFL prospects all over the lineups. I'm not so sure if we have as many Pro guys here or as many good college guys on this team. Every position in 2001 was atleast a good college player. I don't know if you can say the same thing with positions like DT, or safety on paper right now. Lets go down the list of starters in 01.

DE-Jackson, Wilkerson, Cody redshirted in 01. Wilkerson is in the NFL. Jackson was a great college player. A solid reserve was Corey Heinecke
DT-Tommie Harris, Kory Klein-Again Tommie was a great player and is gonna be a great pro for years to come. Klein was a really good college player. Bary Holleyman was a reserve on this team. He was a solid college player.

LB-Calmus-Great player, NFL career has been killed by injuries. Brandon Moore-Solid player, still in the NFL. Teddy Lehman-Great player, still in the NFL

CB-Derrick Strait-Great player still in the NFL. Andre Woolfolk-Really good player, still in the NFL. I know there was another starter just can't remember who it was. Thompson hurt himself in a car accident in the spring of 2001 so it wasn't him.

S-Everage and Roy Williams. Roy speaks for himself. Don't need to even say much more then just Roy Williams there. Everage at times was as good as Roy. 2001 and 2002 he was flat out special at times. If he leaves after the 2002 season he's probably a 2nd round draft pick.

Jello Biafra
4/19/2006, 04:50 PM
Or whatever the **** the name is of the Tejan defco.

i call him choadlicker.

he likes to touch fat dawg innapropriately.

he's no mike leach.

Soonerman08
4/19/2006, 04:55 PM
I will agree with all of the above.....our defense which finally has some stability from the Defensive Coaching standpoint should start to get consistency. I trust whole heartedly in Venables....Stoops gave him a title that Mike Stoops never held (Defensive Coordinator). Mike and Venables were co-coordinators, for some reason Stoops would never allow a designated coordinator. Though it did seem that Mike had the final say in the defensive calls. I wonder how much Bobby Jack Wright has in say for the defensive playcalling. From my understanding when he was at UT he had the number one secondary in the nation.

Jello Biafra
4/19/2006, 05:02 PM
2000 and 2001 were deeper and had NFL prospects all over the lineups. I'm not so sure if we have as many Pro guys here or as many good college guys on this team. .

how da f*&k do you know?!?!?

they are mostly sophmores and juniors. when did RW BECOME? when did you know jack sheite about teddy lehman? calmus? Q? JW? do i need to continue? stop being ignorant and combative, look at the situation this team is in and then tell me you KNOW we don't have as much NFL talent. you didn't know in 2004 either because they weren't proven players in 2002 or 2003.

Jello Biafra
4/19/2006, 05:04 PM
From my understanding when he was at UT he had the number one secondary in the nation.

number 3 and number 1 in the two years he coached there......

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 05:12 PM
how da f*&k do you know?!?!?

they are mostly sophmores and juniors. when did RW BECOME? when did you know jack sheite about teddy lehman? calmus? Q? JW? do i need to continue? stop being ignorant and combative, look at the situation this team is in and then tell me you KNOW we don't have as much NFL talent. you didn't know in 2004 either because they weren't proven players in 2002 or 2003.

You could end up being right with this group. But right now looking at the 2001 D which shut down everyone but KSU really. We don't have as much proven at DT or Safety. And I don't think we are as good as we were in 01 at LB or CB. DEs may actually be better this year because of the depth.

AzianSooner
4/19/2006, 08:56 PM
I am sure this time AD will run all over the so-call chizik-the-horn-dog defense.

We will also drop quite a few touchdown from the air this time. I believe OUr chance is great.

down the horns.

sooneron
4/19/2006, 09:23 PM
I think that this D, can become as dominant as the past defenses of the 00 - 01 years by the middle of the season. It's going to take a few games to get some more cohesion and trust. Trust is very important out there. They have to stick to their assignments and trust that their teammates will have their backs at their assignments.
I think the talent and the will is there.

sooneron
4/19/2006, 09:25 PM
number 3 and number 1 in the two years he coached there......
I'd like to see who they played those years. That is the proof in the pudding.

shavedmarmoset
4/19/2006, 09:41 PM
There were about 4 years in a row (mostly the Mike Stoops years) when it seemed like we couldn't get a cover corner no matter what we did. Now we've got two of the best.

Stoops is a name that used to strike fear into opposing offenses. (And, no, I *don't* mean Mike) I say this is the season where they remember that fear.

Are you saying Mike was a bad D coordinator? Excuse me, but I believe this guy coached Derrick Strait (4-year starter) and the three scariest years of Stoops defense (2000, 2001, 2002). When he left, our D got blatantly worse (see: 2004, arguably 2005).

I miss Mike, he had our secondary in order.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 10:12 PM
2002 wasn't a great year for the D. It was inconsistant at time. OSU lit us up. Texas scored some on us. Texas A&M lit us up. But it wasn't as bad as 04 or 05 either.

TexasBoomer
4/19/2006, 10:19 PM
I believe ut's defensive performance in last year's game had more to do with us having a down offensive year and AD's injury, but that's just me.

I'm not sure why we thought we'd have a great team last year when we knew we were rebuilding. I agree with what you say.
We have great athletic players, one of the best defensive coaches in college fb ( and moving up in the chain) and the best head coach. We will have a great team this year no doubt in my mind.
We need to quit talking about UT, and talk about how great the OU players, coaches, alumi and the tradition of OU football are and have been for years. OU's defense was one of the best in the country last year and will be the best this year.
I believe this team will match our great teams of the past which includes the best of Bud's and Barry's, and I was there for all of those years.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 10:37 PM
Texas' D wasn't all that last year. OU just didn't have any offensive talent and they weren't well coached.

SoonerJedi
4/19/2006, 10:53 PM
2000 and 2001 were deeper and had NFL prospects all over the lineups. I'm not so sure if we have as many Pro guys here or as many good college guys on this team. Every position in 2001 was atleast a good college player. I don't know if you can say the same thing with positions like DT, or safety on paper right now.

I agree that going into the year 2001, that defense had an "invincible" feel about it. Those were the years that the defense could will the team to victory despite the offense.

Still, this defense has a lot of things to look forward to. And I think you're comparison is fun.

2006 DEs – Ah You, Thibodeaux. Not only are they returning starters, they may be able to go pro after this year. Birdine would be in the pros save a ton bicep. John Williams looked awesome for the few snaps he got to play before tearing his ACL. Dotson is another supposedly great defencive end. These five have most sooner fans excited. Add to that Alan Davis and Auston English and this is probably the best defensive end group in the nation.

2006 DTs – Gone is Dvoracek, but Pendleton is a returning starter. Bennett and Coleman both played a lot and may have started a few games Dusty was out. But the real excitement is the two youngsters DeMarcus Granger (#1 Defensive Tackle 2005 recruiting) and Gerald McCoy (#1 Defensive Tackl 2006 recruiting). Granger was a monster on for the scout team as he redshirted and McCoy is supposedly even better.

2006 LBs – Rufus is the next great OU linebacker who appears destined for the NFL. Ryan Reynolds either started some games or at least was the first LB off the bench in every game as a freshman. Demarrio Pleasant was another who saw significant playing time. Lewis Baker who started at safety last year moves back to linebacker. This may work out well for coverage if the front four are getting to the QB by themselves. Also there are two freshmen who are battling for the middle spot Curtis Lofton and Lamont Robinson. Both were highly recruited last year.

2006 DBs – Wolfe, Smith, and Walker (if healthy) are three fair/good corners. Reggie Smith can go either corner or safety but with Walker’s injuries, he may be forced to be a starting corner. He’s possibly the best player in the secondary right now. Darien Williams is a returning starter and I think the other safety is Nic Harris who everyone is high on. There is a lot of depth at safety who may step in besides Harris. Keenan Clayton and Brett Bowers were both highly recruited.

Between 2001 and 2006 I’d say:
DEs – 2006
DTs – Likely 2006 (Depends on how good Granger and McCoy are.)
LBs – 2001
DBs – 2001

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2006, 10:56 PM
I agree that going into the year 2001, that defense had an "invincible" feel about it. Those were the years that the defense could will the team to victory despite the offense.

Still, this defense has a lot of things to look forward to. And I think you're comparison is fun.

2006 DEs – Ah You, Thibodeaux. Not only are they returning starters, they may be able to go pro after this year. Birdine would be in the pros save a ton bicep. John Williams looked awesome for the few snaps he got to play before tearing his ACL. Dotson is another supposedly great defencive end. These five have most sooner fans excited. Add to that Alan Davis and Auston English and this is probably the best defensive end group in the nation.

2006 DTs – Gone is Dvoracek, but Pendleton is a returning starter. Bennett and Coleman both played a lot and may have started a few games Dusty was out. But the real excitement is the two youngsters DeMarcus Granger (#1 Defensive Tackle 2005 recruiting) and Gerald McCoy (#1 Defensive Tackl 2006 recruiting). Granger was a monster on for the scout team as he redshirted and McCoy is supposedly even better.

2006 LBs – Rufus is the next great OU linebacker who appears destined for the NFL. Ryan Reynolds either started some games or at least was the first LB off the bench in every game as a freshman. Demarrio Pleasant was another who saw significant playing time. Lewis Baker who started at safety last year moves back to linebacker. This may work out well for coverage if the front four are getting to the QB by themselves. Also there are two freshmen who are battling for the middle spot Curtis Lofton and Lamont Robinson. Both were highly recruited last year.

2006 DBs – Wolfe, Smith, and Walker (if healthy) are three fair/good corners. Reggie Smith can go either corner or safety but with Walker’s injuries, he may be forced to be a starting corner. He’s possibly the best player in the secondary right now. Darien Williams is a returning starter and I think the other safety is Nic Harris who everyone is high on. There is a lot of depth at safety who may step in besides Harris. Keenan Clayton and Brett Bowers were both highly recruited.

DEs – 2006
LBs – 2001
DBs – 2001

You're a noob so will let you slide. Nick is a dumb***, you'll pick up on that pretty soon.;)

Jimminy Crimson
4/19/2006, 10:56 PM
...CLAP! CLAP!

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2006, 10:58 PM
Texas' D wasn't all that last year. OU just didn't have any offensive talent and they weren't well coached.
do you actually believe half the s*** you post?

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 11:15 PM

DEs – 2006
LBs – 2001
DBs – 2001

I could see DEs just for the depth. But the 2001 guys weren't that bad. DTs I disagree with completely. No one we have if as good at Tommie Harris and we don't know if anyone we have is as good as Kory Klein. I would say maybe Pendelton is that good. But outside of that it's guys that have barely played.

soonerhubs
4/19/2006, 11:24 PM
Blah blah blah, **** on every soonerfans hopes and dreams.
So Nick. How about some good news?

:rolleyes:

OKC-SLC
4/19/2006, 11:36 PM
heh.

bigdsooner
4/19/2006, 11:40 PM
So Nick. How about some good news?

:rolleyes:

dude, thats debbie downer yer talkin to. good news doesnt exist to him

SoonerJedi
4/20/2006, 12:31 AM
I could see DEs just for the depth. But the 2001 guys weren't that bad. DTs I disagree with completely. No one we have if as good at Tommie Harris and we don't know if anyone we have is as good as Kory Klein. I would say maybe Pendelton is that good. But outside of that it's guys that have barely played.

Harris was a true Freshman in 2001.

There are two Freshmen this year that are possibly as good as Harris, and maybe even better (Granger and McCoy).

Pendleton and Klein are a wash.

CatfishSooner
4/20/2006, 12:46 AM
Nick don't be a di;;.....

okienole3
4/20/2006, 01:14 AM
Nick sucks.

David Earl
4/20/2006, 06:59 AM

Your bashing is beyond old. Go find another place to play.

RooseveltRoughRider
4/20/2006, 07:48 AM

OU did not have any offensive talent?? WOW...:rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
4/20/2006, 09:26 AM
OU did not have any offensive talent?? WOW...:rolleyes:

Not to placate Debbie Downer, but for all but 2 plays in the entire RRS, our best 4 Offensive players were Davin Joseph, Joe Jon Finley, Malcolm Kelly, and Chris Messner.

RedstickSooner
4/20/2006, 09:33 AM
I don't think it's fair to write off this year's DTs, but we do need to keep in mind how scary good TH was as a true freshman. He was the AD of that season.

Still, I stick by my guns -- the difference this year is that we've got great depth, everywhere. We're finally at the point now where our backups are our future starters -- for the first chunk of Stoops' tenure, the backups were future backups.

How many of the backups from that squad eventually became starters? I honestly mean it as a question -- I don't know the answer. Any of you stat monkeys care to step in and drop some numbers? After all, maybe I'm wrong :D

Scott D
4/20/2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know why any of you bother arguing with Nick, he just finds the right stats to justify his point of view. He doesn't actually 'see' what goes on in games, just looks at the stat sheet.

XingTheRubicon
4/20/2006, 10:25 AM
I don't know why any of you bother arguing with Nick, he just finds the right stats to justify his point of view. He doesn't actually 'see' what goes on in games, just looks at the stat sheet.

In Nick's defense, (just this once) all he stated was that OU w/o AD was not that or well coached or talented of an offense in the '05 RRS.

Is this right or wrong?

What would an objective college football fan think if they watched that game?

Scott D
4/20/2006, 02:40 PM
In Nick's defense, (just this once) all he stated was that OU w/o AD was not that or well coached or talented of an offense in the '05 RRS.

Is this right or wrong?

What would an objective college football fan think if they watched that game?

I think you'll agree with me Xing that Nick's statement is defensible in regards to the RRS in '05 because the statistics support his argument. Now while this is a case where the statistics support the conclusion, the erronious thought process is that statistics always define the conclusion. That is where people are beating their heads against the wall in regards to Nick. X factors never come into play with Nick, and that was the point I was getting at.

This was most glaring with the argument over how great a running back Bo Jackson was. Nick's assessment was that the guy was injury prone and not very good because he never played a full season and never broke 1k yards in a season. He never once researched to see why the guy never played a full season and just assumed it was because he was injury prone.

Bevo-Stevo
4/20/2006, 02:48 PM
Corners are awesome. For the first time in years, we've got two corners who can each run with anyone, and stay right on their hip in man coverage. There were about 4 years in a row (mostly the Mike Stoops years) when it seemed like we couldn't get a cover corner no matter what we did. Now we've got two of the best

I keep reading stuff like this about your "all-world" corners over here. Who are they? Where were they last year? Did they transfer in or something? Are these the same corners who helped lead ou to a #56 national ranking against the pass last year? How did they go from average to All Big XII over the course of 4 months? I think you guys are in for a severe rude awakening against Oregon and most certainly against the Horns.

XingTheRubicon
4/20/2006, 03:00 PM
I keep reading stuff like this about your "all-world" corners over here. Who are they? Where were they last year? Did they transfer in or something? Are these the same corners who helped lead ou to a #56 national ranking against the pass last year? How did they go from average to All Big XII over the course of 4 months? I think you guys are in for a severe rude awakening against Oregon and most certainly against the Horns.

That Bob Stoops guy, yeah, that guy.... The one that GM's in the pros keeps begging him to bolt for the NFL... He mainly has been praising our corners so far. and our best DB, Reggie Smith was forced to play Safety last year because of depth issues, is playing corner this year. His natural spot.

So, if you don't understand something, or the confusion seems insurmountable, read more and post less.

Soonerman08
4/20/2006, 03:05 PM

You honestly think the Horns are a big passing threat????? I don't think so, Oregon poses our biggest passing threat. Texas' main threat is their running backs, they don't have a proven quarterback that can throw. Everyone thought Mock and Young could throw when they started and they had a good O-Line to hide behind with "great" receivers. Whorns arguments are funny. :P

Bevo-Stevo
4/20/2006, 03:15 PM
You honestly think the Horns are a big passing threat?????

As usual over here, no answers to a very simple question. Wasn't claiming that UT will have a huge passing attack this year. Just simply asking how your very mediocre secondary suddenly became the best collection of DB's in the country. Hook 'Em!!

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 03:19 PM

As usual over here, no answers to a very simple question. Wasn't claiming that UT will have a huge passing attack this year. Just simply asking how your very mediocre secondary suddenly became the best collection of DB's in the country. Hook 'em!!

Hmm...

Scott D
4/20/2006, 03:22 PM
As usual over here, no answers to a very simple question. Wasn't claiming that UT will have a huge passing attack this year. Just simply asking how your very mediocre secondary suddenly became the best collection of DB's in the country. Hook 'Em!!

It probably has to do with the fact that the secondary isn't a collection of first year players as either freshmen, or position changers. Not to mention they've now gotten more time together as a unit with spring ball complete.

BASSooner
4/20/2006, 04:11 PM
and the fact that the secondary will go up against a brand new QB who has never taken a college snap before in his life.

shavedmarmoset
4/20/2006, 06:37 PM
I'm not as stoked about our secondary as I am about our pass rush. It's going to be sick. We have so much depth at DE that McCoy or Snead will be on their back all day.

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 07:26 PM
I'm not as stoked about our secondary as I am about our pass rush. It's going to be sick. We have so much depth at DE that McCoy or Snead will be on their back all day.

That's true. We have at least 4 starter quality guys at DE. The Spinner is coming back.

goingoneight
4/20/2006, 09:57 PM
So, I'm reading in a locked thread over here, and a fellow Sooner seems to be trembling like a Chiuhaha in Alaska at the menacing beast which is Mr. Chuzzlewitt's defense. Or whatever the **** the name is of the Tejan defco.

Dude even went so far as to call him the Mike Leach of defense.

Which got me thinking.

Isn't Bob Stoops supposed to be one of them whatchamacallits... Defensive smarty-pants? Have we lost faith to such an extent that we no longer expect more than, say, above-average coaching on defense, if that?

More importantly, the thing which has defined the better Stoops units has been rotation. We thrive on having fresh DTs and DEs on the field at all times, and this season we can afford to do so constantly -- we've got endless depth at DE, and very good depth at DT. Short of a half-dozen defensive linemen getting injured (I wouldn't put it past the footbal gods) we'll have dudes out there every snap playing as if they were about to get yanked for the rest of the game -- 'cuz the odds are good they *will* get yanked for the rest of the game.

Linebackers are, yet again, a solid, strong unit. One of the, what, top 5 in the country? Certainly top ten.

Corners are awesome. For the first time in years, we've got two corners who can each run with anyone, and stay right on their hip in man coverage. There were about 4 years in a row (mostly the Mike Stoops years) when it seemed like we couldn't get a cover corner no matter what we did. Now we've got two of the best.

I haven't heard as much analysis about the safeties, and safeties are something I don't really feel qualified to judge -- always seems like the only time you hear their names called is when somebody screws up. But folks seem to feel ours are decent, right?

So, you add it all up, you've got a defense without gaps. Without a weakness. Why isn't this grounds for chest-thumping, smack-talking enthusiasm? Just because we don't have Chuzzlewitt running the show?

Heck, we've got Bob Stoops. And he seems to think Venables is capable enough of handling things. Venables, for his part, seems to be taking things a bit more seriously this season - anyone notice him yelling at people after every play in the Spring game?

If we can't produce a dominant, best-in-the-land defense with the players we've got this season (barring injury) then I say we fire Venables, demote Bobby Jack Wright, and give Stoops the defco hat.

After all, it isn't like we aren't paying the boy enough.

Being scared of the Horns defco? WTF? I could've sworn we already had a defensive genius on the payroll. If there's some other defensive genius better 'n ours, we sure as hell shouldn't be shelling out the kinda cash we're shelling out to keep ours on staff, now should we?

hope you're right, really do. The only reason people see them doing anything next year is because of Chizik. If you want to play football expert and flame me for what I've seen with my own eyes (that UT defense is no longer the joke of the RRS), then be my guest. But it's been OU's misfortune to underestimate opponents ever since 2001 that has beaten them out of four oppurtunites for National Titles.

I'd love nothing more than to see OU go bash everyone like we did in 2000. But it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than a good depth chart to do that. Heupel's offense was great (no dispute), but T. Marshall and TRRW's D was the REAL story of 2000.

sanantoniosooner
4/20/2006, 09:59 PM
Your bashing is beyond old. Go find another place to play.
no parties?

How did everyone overlook this?

JohnnyMack
4/20/2006, 10:04 PM
no parties?

How did everyone overlook this?

Surely it's not the coveted "perma-baned" is it?

sanantoniosooner
4/20/2006, 10:08 PM
Surely it's not the coveted "perma-baned" is it?
I don't know, but don't call me Shirley.

JohnnyMack
4/20/2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know, but don't call me Shirley.

It's a continuing effort on my part to desensitize you into not noticing we're at a Russian bath house together.

sanantoniosooner
4/20/2006, 10:11 PM
It's a continuing effort on my part to desensitize you into not noticing we're at a Russian bath house together.
This is why there is a 6 foot rule.

JohnnyMack
4/20/2006, 10:13 PM
This is why there is a 6 foot rule.

If I turn the steam way up, you won't notice until it's too late.

soonerhubs
4/20/2006, 11:18 PM
I could just read posts from Johnny Mack and SAS all day long. Don't let that discount you other awesome posters, but these two just make me laugh till I cry.

RooseveltRoughRider
4/21/2006, 12:24 AM
That is a good question....I hear people here crying about OU''s secondary and now people think they are the next best thing. Interesting...
If I was an OU fan I would be realistic and cautious. I see people getting giddy and excited over media predictions and all these neat little articles by the same ESPN, and Associated Press that everyone here was ridiculing ohhh4 months ago.

It makes one wonder is the same media setting up OU fans worldwide like it did in 2005, giving OU a unrealistic preseason rank and then looking like "what happened?" when they fell short. We shall see...
I believe in optimisnm, but I think a few of you are really getting ahead of yourselves by thinking everything is better in 4 months.

Here is a question I would like a die hard Sooner fan to answer in a unbiased manner. If AD is out for the season, how many games do you REALLY think OU wins? Honestly..

Harry Beanbag
4/21/2006, 08:57 AM
Here is a question I would like a die hard Sooner fan to answer in a unbiased manner. If AD is out for the season, how many games do you REALLY think OU wins? Honestly..

Look, another stupid question from a dumbass Hook 'em . How many games would Texas have won without Vince last year? Totally irrelevant.

sooneron
4/21/2006, 10:06 AM
That is a good question....I hear people here crying about OU''s secondary and now people think they are the next best thing. Interesting...
If I was an OU fan I would be realistic and cautious. I see people getting giddy and excited over media predictions and all these neat little articles by the same ESPN, and Associated Press that everyone here was ridiculing ohhh4 months ago.

It makes one wonder is the same media setting up OU fans worldwide like it did in 2005, giving OU a unrealistic preseason rank and then looking like "what happened?" when they fell short. We shall see...
I believe in optimisnm, but I think a few of you are really getting ahead of yourselves by thinking everything is better in 4 months.

9-10

I think Patrick has the chance to be pretty darn good and I like the thought of a scat back type runner in Murray. I'm not sure how the other guys are looking coming into the season- Gute, et al.

And, I am cautiously optimistic about the secondary. I think we finally have talent to match the scheme and positions - it is all predicated on brain farts.

BASSooner
4/21/2006, 10:08 AM
Oh I didn't know that AD was the only offense we had. I thought we had Bomar, Thompson, Iglesias, JJ, and Kelly too...:rolleyes:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/21/2006, 12:00 PM
Chizik is a very good defensive coach. I don't see how that is deniable. He arguably saved Tubberville's azz at Auburn and then had great success at Hook 'em last year. He is the primary reason why I don't see us running up 50 points on :mack: next year. He will move on and probably be a pretty good head coach somewhere soon.

I'm certainly not ready to give the guy deity status.

Texas did lose some playmakers on defense and our offense is going to be a LOT better next year that it was at that point last year.

Add to that the defense is going to go Clan of the Cave bear on whatever poor guy has to be the Hook 'em QB next year.

The whole OU def next year will be tough, including the secondary.

NormanPride
4/21/2006, 01:21 PM
Apparently, 90% of the horn fan base thinks that their orange-clad humpers will be lining up against a solitary running back in October.

We'd still win.

MojoRisen
4/21/2006, 01:30 PM

There are only 22 people on the field at once- All this talk and it will be won in the trenches-

The Saxet QB's are going to get hurt playing in the Coton bowl and they better understand that and not get too nervous about being hit everytime they step back to pass.

goingoneight
4/21/2006, 09:31 PM
As usual over here, no answers to a very simple question. Wasn't claiming that UT will have a huge passing attack this year. Just simply asking how your very mediocre secondary suddenly became the best collection of DB's in the country. I'm gay!!!

I never said the secondary would rock and roll, but having a tall converted superstar HS receiver covering is nice. And Reggie seems to be taking to corner quite nicely. I would be willing to bet on the secondary outstaging the rush D this season. Still optimistic about the total 2006 package, though.

SoonerJedi
4/22/2006, 10:44 PM
I think you guys are in for a severe rude awakening against Oregon

You mean that high-powered Oregon team OU's defense shut down in the Holiday Bowl?

I said last year that Texas benefited from playing OU early. I think OU is too good for Texas this year.

Soonerman08
4/23/2006, 10:42 AM
Texass fans are in for a rude awakening.....they think they have this solid Running back tandem that will just light us up. Their quarterback had more rushing yards with fewer attempts than both running backs combined. The tandem of Peterson, Gute, Patrick, Murray, Madu, and Brown. Now that is a solid running back corps.

shavedmarmoset
4/23/2006, 06:21 PM
The tandem of Peterson, Gute, Patrick, Murray, Madu, and Brown. Now that is a solid running back corps.

No joke, especially when Gute gained 173 yards in his first career start. Seems pretty solid to me.

goingoneight
4/23/2006, 07:33 PM
UT has a uniquely different touch on their defense under Chizik. They hit harder, they tackle better, and they penetrate Offensive Lines with ease. But for the whorns who think AD is a joke...

Take some time to look at this video www.soonerscooter.com
hit the "sooner flashbacks" then venture to 'AD 2004 vs Texas' look at how that guy levels the beloved Huff. OUr running threat is still alive when you have a freight train running like AD.