PDA

View Full Version : No Scottie Reynolds = NIT at best next year

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/19/2006, 10:54 AM
That is unless some other top guard switches to OU. I like Austin Johnson and I think he will progress but as a back-up PG he is good as the #1, not so great right now. Don't get me started if Chris Walker is the back-up. I'd much rather have Kellen Sampson.

If Reynolds isn't coming to OU then things could unravel rather quickly.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 11:16 AM
We are probably in the NIT with him here next year. I still think he's OU bound.

sooner518
4/19/2006, 05:18 PM
welcome to 3 weeks ago. He's coming. . We've established this

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 05:36 PM
If he gets his head straight he still could come.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 05:38 PM
We'll find out a lot more after Capel talks to him tomorrow if that's still on. I don't think OU would release him if he decides on a Big 12 school.

NormanPride
4/19/2006, 06:06 PM
FWIW, Hale's said that "OU wil relese hem if hi axs nicly"

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/20/2006, 11:27 AM
FWIW, Hale's said that "OU wil relese hem if hi axs nicly"

I suppose it is better that Scottie asked for his release now instead of after he has met with Capel but I think it is going to be a tough sell to keep him coming to OU.

Presuming we lose Scottie the challenge gets even bigger keeping James and then we have to hope all the other guys qualify. Then we have another decision. Do we try to get a juco guard late in the game to have another body? That got us Chris Walker last year. Or is the scholly better held back for a higher rated HS or Juco player next year?

What is disppointing is that we had a chance to avoid major rebuilding with a top recuiting class. I think Austin Johnson will do just fine but really if we lose Reynolds we are not replacing him with AJ (because both were going to get a lot of minutes), we are replacing him with Walker or we try to play Crocker or Neal out of position. 2-3 years down the road we should be fine but I was holding out hope that we could still win right away.

stoopified
4/20/2006, 05:14 PM
This sucks.It is all the f'ing cowpukes fault.

Sooner in Tampa
4/21/2006, 05:44 AM
This whole "the sky is falling" metality is really getting old. Damn, since when did a school the size of OU depend on just one kid???

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/21/2006, 08:17 AM
This whole "the sky is falling" metality is really getting old. Damn, since when did a school the size of OU depend on just one kid???

Since the school is already down one scholarship, 95% of the top 150 players have committed and the depth at PG is woeful. The size of OU is irrelevant. It's not that Reynolds walks on water or anything but he can play PG which is the most important position in college basketball. I wouldn't feel much better if Reynolds was definitely on board and Austin Johnson was going to miss next year.

I don't know that I think the sky is falling but I'm saying that OU with Reynolds and AJ playing PG is at least 4-5 wins better than OU with AJ and Chris Walker or Kellen Sampson.

suncoastsooner7
4/21/2006, 08:25 AM
We are probably in the NIT with him here next year. I still think he's OU bound.

We would probably increase the boards IQ by an average of 10 points if you stopped posting. I still think you are internet bound.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/21/2006, 08:27 AM
We are probably in the NIT with him here next year. I worked as a fluffer for the Discovery Channel for a while. I still think he's OU bound.

Fixed

soonerbub
4/23/2006, 06:13 AM
we had a chance to avoid major rebuilding with a top recruiting class

Anytime a coach leaves unexpectedly you have major rebuilding IMO.

We've got AJ at the 1 (he will need help of course), Neal as a 2, Taylor as a swingman and I'd take my chances with Longar inside. 3 or 4 quality role players and you have a competitive squad.

I really don't understand why everyone is so worried--dollars to donuts we win more ballgames than the hoosiers next year :twinkies:

wishbonesooner
4/27/2006, 05:30 AM
It's not that our coach left, he left with our program facing possible NCAA probation for improprieties, while that coach was head of the ethics committee!

GDC
4/27/2006, 07:56 AM
Capel's after the PG from San Antonio, according to the Tulsa World.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/27/2006, 08:37 AM
Capel's after the PG from San Antonio, according to the Tulsa World.

Sounds like he could be a decent second option. From what I've read it doesn't sound like Capel would have to be after him too hard to get him. Crocker has been doing the recruiting.