PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezers Who Grew Up in Moore

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/18/2006, 11:31 PM
In doing some research I found out there used to be a pool in the Regency Park Addition off 27th and Janeway. It seems like I heard there was a pool there, but by the time my family moved to that addition in 1978, the pool must have been filled. Evidently there was a country club there too.

Does anyone know what happened to the pool and country club?

Jimminy Crimson
4/18/2006, 11:42 PM
I'm guessing the pool got filled in.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks Edmond Somebody!

Okla-homey
4/19/2006, 07:50 AM
Its now a mobile home park.

OUDoc
4/19/2006, 07:57 AM
My wife's an old geezer from Moore, but I don't think she moved there until the very late 70's. The 1970's, not her 70's.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 08:02 AM
My wife's an old geezer from Moore, but I don't think she moved there until the very late 70's. The 1970's, not her 70's.Then she won't know about the pool.

And no Homey, it is not a mobile home park.

Okla-homey
4/19/2006, 08:17 AM
Then she won't know about the pool.

And no Homey, it is not a mobile home park.

But I thought Moore was zoned for mobile homes exclusively.;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 08:20 AM
But I thought Moore was zoned for mobile homes exclusively.;)Nope

http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/OK/City/MOORE

Dio
4/19/2006, 08:37 AM
I don't know anything about a country club, but in the early 70's there was a YMCA just south of Regency Park Baptist Church and across from Kelley, and they did have the only public pool in Moore at that time. I don't remember swimming there after I was about 6 (1976), so I'm guessing the pool was filled in not long after that. The old Y building wound up being used by the school district for awhile, until that entire end of the world was raked clean by the May 3 tornado.

Crap, I guess this means I'm old:mad: :D

TUSooner
4/19/2006, 08:51 AM
I don't know anything about a country club, but in the early 70's there was a YMCA just south of Regency Park Baptist Church and across from Kelley, and they did have the only public pool in Moore at that time. I don't remember swimming there after I was about 6 (1976), so I'm guessing the pool was filled in not long after that. The old Y building wound up being used by the school district for awhile, until that entire end of the world was raked clean by the May 3 tornado.

Dang, I was afraid I would know something about this. :rolleyes: I was going to say what Dio said, but my experiences were even earlier. There was indeed a YMCA with a nice, big pool in that area. My family spent a ton of great times there, with lots of friends and neighbors and folks we knew from 1st Methodist Church in Moore. My brothers and sister and I took all swimming lessons, and I learned lifesaving there. I recall coming home from there in 1969 in time to watch the first moon landing. Good times !!

Mjcpr
4/19/2006, 08:54 AM
Dang, I was afraid I would know something about this. :rolleyes: I was going to say what Dio said, but my experiences were even earlier. There was indeed a YMCA with a nice, big pool in that area. My family spent a ton of great times there, with lots of friends and neighbors and folks we knew from 1st Methodist Church in Moore. My brothers and sister and I took all swimming lessons, and I learned lifesaving there. I recall coming home from there in 1969 in time to watch the first moon landing. Good times !!

Wow. Tell us what it was like before electricity, TU!

;)

TUSooner
4/19/2006, 09:04 AM
Wow. Tell us what it was like before electricity, TU!

;)
Life was a gas!

Howzit
4/19/2006, 09:12 AM
I recall coming home from there in 1969 in time to watch the first moon landing. Good times !!

Well I would hope you recall, weren't about 30?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 09:39 AM
The Y must have purchased the pool property from the Regency Park developers. There are some fun stories on the Oklahoman archives about that neighborhood. Evidently when they first opened it, it was the biggest neighborhood in the state and the only one with a big pool like that. One weekend in the late 50s they partnered with a bunch of car dealers and if you bought a house they would sell you a nice used car for $10.

I wonder why they decided to cover the pool though? I bet it coincided with them building that big pool on 5th Street.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 09:40 AM

Crap, I guess this means I'm old:mad: :DIs it where SEARCH used to be? I think it is some kind of motorcycle repair shop now.

TUSooner
4/19/2006, 10:00 AM
Well I would hope you recall, weren't about 30?
Be careful......

IB4OU2
4/19/2006, 10:14 AM
Sorry SB can't help.......back then I wasn't allowed to drive the horse and buggy north of Rock Creek road.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 10:20 AM
Sorry SB can't help.......back then I wasn't allowed to drive the horse and buggy north of Rock Creek road.Heh. A friend of my mom's grew up across the street from where 12th Street Park in Moore is. She wasn't allowed to go to the Big TG&Y on SW 74th Street because it was too far. Of course, they went anyway.

BeetDigger
4/19/2006, 10:54 AM
The country club was closed, due to a decline of membership that began in the early 1970's. Prior to that, the country club, which featured 18 holes, fine dining, swimming and tennis, was a considered the place to be a member and where the elites of Moore and the surrounding areas would meet on weekends for club activities and dinnner. The pool, which went into decline due to lack of upkeep as a result in the decline of membership, was drained in about 1973. It was filled in a year or so later.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 11:19 AM
The country club was closed, due to a decline of membership that began in the early 1970's. Prior to that, the country club, which featured 18 holes, fine dining, swimming and tennis, was a considered the place to be a member and where the elites of Moore and the surrounding areas would meet on weekends for club activities and dinnner. The pool, which went into decline due to lack of upkeep as a result in the decline of membership, was drained in about 1973. It was filled in a year or so later.Where did you find that info or do you just remember it? Where exactly was all that stuff?

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2006, 12:26 PM
The country club was closed, due to a decline of membership that began in the early 1970's. Prior to that, the country club, which featured 18 holes, fine dining, swimming and tennis, was a considered the place to be a member and where the elites of Moore and the surrounding areas would meet on weekends for club activities and dinnner. The pool, which went into decline due to lack of upkeep as a result in the decline of membership, was drained in about 1973. It was filled in a year or so later.

Moore had/has elites?

camman71
4/19/2006, 12:31 PM
First post. Long time lurker. My family moved to Moore in September of 1973. I remember swimming there the following summer of 1974 with the next door neighbor girl who was fourteen and I was fifteen. I remember this because she wore a bikini and was quite shapely for fourteen. I think it was filled in shortly after because of the new pool on fifth street.

RacerX
4/19/2006, 12:37 PM
Moore had/has elites?

Notice the sentence about declining membership.

TUSooner
4/19/2006, 01:47 PM
First post. Long time lurker. My family moved to Moore in September of 1973. I remember swimming there the following summer of 1974 with the next door neighbor girl who was fourteen and I was fifteen. I remember this because she wore a bikini and was quite shapely for fourteen. I think it was filled in shortly after because of the new pool on fifth street.
The bikini was filled in? :confused:

:D

So finally - When we talk about the YMCA and the country club are we talking about the same pool and the same piece of real estate, only at different times? I think so, but I don't remember anything about a country club.

camman71
4/19/2006, 01:57 PM
Yes it was filled in. She was probably a D cup at fourteen. She used to sunbathe in her bikini in the backyard of her house. It was alot for a fifteen year old to endure. My parents often wondered why I spent so much time at the kitchen window.

reevie
4/19/2006, 04:48 PM

The thing I remember about that pool was that it was in the shape of Oklahoma. The old Y building was used for Kindergarten classes when I was in K. That would have been, say the 1977-78 school year? I remember swiming in the pool, but don't remember if it was still open at that point. I would assume they had closed it with 5 year olds running around.

reevie
4/19/2006, 04:54 PM

So, would the country club be a few blocks North of the Y on Janeway? I'm thinking where the road that goes west, into the apartments, is where a country club may have existed?

Dio
4/19/2006, 05:00 PM
Is it where SEARCH used to be? I think it is some kind of motorcycle repair shop now.

Yeah, it became the SEARCH building. I thought Regency Baptist bought that land after the tornado, but I could be wrong- I try to stay off Janeway because of all the cops.;)

reevie
4/19/2006, 05:02 PM
The Y must have purchased the pool property from the Regency Park developers. There are some fun stories on the Oklahoman archives about that neighborhood. Evidently when they first opened it, it was the biggest neighborhood in the state and the only one with a big pool like that. One weekend in the late 50s they partnered with a bunch of car dealers and if you bought a house they would sell you a nice used car for $10.

I wonder why they decided to cover the pool though? I bet it coincided with them building that big pool on 5th Street.

This is what I remember of the "Dairy Queen Pool". I remember some guy in my boy scout troop doing a project to sod the area around the pool for his Eagle badge. So I ended up helping out laying sod, from what I remember on the west side of the pool. I'm thinking that was in the 1982/3 timeframe. I'm not sure how long this project was done after the pool opened, but I doubt the pool would have been open for more than a year at that point.

Dio
4/19/2006, 05:06 PM
I think it was filled in shortly after because of the new pool on fifth street.

IIRC, the pool on 5th wasn't opened until the early '80s. We had to come down to Norman to swim at Westwood.

reevie
4/19/2006, 05:07 PM
Yeah, it became the SEARCH building. I thought Regency Baptist bought that land after the tornado, but I could be wrong- I try to stay off Janeway because of all the cops.;)

Yep, after Kelley lost kids to other schools and didn't need the space the district used the building for SEARCH. There was also a smaller building behind the Y building that Kelley used for classrooms. They may have used it for something like SEARCH as well after I left.

Yes. The church did buy the land after the tornado, had the city close the street that seperated the two and have built the new church on the location of the Y and the Y pool.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, it became the SEARCH building. I thought Regency Baptist bought that land after the tornado, but I could be wrong- I try to stay off Janeway because of all the cops.;)Yeah I've been pulled over 4 times there in front of Kelley. Good times.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 05:46 PM
The bikini was filled in? :confused:

:D

So finally - When we talk about the YMCA and the country club are we talking about the same pool and the same piece of real estate, only at different times? I think so, but I don't remember anything about a country club.In further research I think it was more like a "clubhouse." The Regency Park developers promoted the neighborhood as being the only one in the state with its own pool in the late 50s and early 60s and they held big block parties there and stuff.

Later the developer allowed the Y to use the pool and clubhouse but I don't know if they ever sold it to them. Finally the property was sold to the school district so that's why they used it for Kindergarten and SEARCH. I never went to SEARCH, but I heard all the smart kids talk about the pool.

BTW, they talked about building a city pool in the late 60s, but never actually did it until they built the one on 5th Street in 1980.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 05:47 PM
So, would the country club be a few blocks North of the Y on Janeway? I'm thinking where the road that goes west, into the apartments, is where a country club may have existed?The address in the Oklahoman archives says 2009 N Janeway. So my guess is that big field north of 19th Street (can't remember if it is still there).

reevie
4/19/2006, 06:08 PM
The address in the Oklahoman archives says 2009 N Janeway. So my guess is that big field north of 19th Street (can't remember if it is still there).

2009 would put it right there at the Y or the church. Kelley is 1900 N. Janeway.

reevie
4/19/2006, 06:10 PM
In further research I think it was more like a "clubhouse." The Regency Park developers promoted the neighborhood as being the only one in the state with its own pool in the late 50s and early 60s and they held big block parties there and stuff.

Later the developer allowed the Y to use the pool and clubhouse but I don't know if they ever sold it to them. Finally the property was sold to the school district so that's why they used it for Kindergarten and SEARCH. I never went to SEARCH, but I heard all the smart kids talk about the pool.

BTW, they talked about building a city pool in the late 60s, but never actually did it until they built the one on 5th Street in 1980.

So why are you doing all this research?

Jimminy Crimson
4/19/2006, 10:18 PM
So why are you doing all this research?

The same reason SicEm is doing his congressional database. :texan:

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2006, 10:45 PM
The same reason SicEm is doing his congressional database. :texan:

This probably true fact makes me sad in my pants.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 10:51 PM
I'm actually doing research on something else and I got sidetracked when I read about this pool. Now I'm ****ed I never got to swim in it. Reevie, where did you go to HS?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 10:53 PM
2009 would put it right there at the Y or the church. Kelley is 1900 N. Janeway.It's where the Y and SEARCH used to be. I always wanted to be in SEARCH, but my test scores in math sucked. I bet the SEARCH kids got to swim in that pool.:mad:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/19/2006, 10:57 PM
Actually Jimminy, this research I am doing is just your cup o' tea. If I needed a research assistant, I'd hire you.

reevie
4/20/2006, 06:51 AM
It's where the Y and SEARCH used to be. I always wanted to be in SEARCH, but my test scores in math sucked. I bet the SEARCH kids got to swim in that pool.:mad:

I don't know if they had SEARCH going when I was at Kelley or not. I do remember my brother going to SEARCH.

reevie
4/20/2006, 06:52 AM
I'm actually doing research on something else and I got sidetracked when I read about this pool. Now I'm ****ed I never got to swim in it. Reevie, where did you go to HS?

Westmoore

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/20/2006, 07:55 AM
WestmooreThe Bestmoore!

TUSooner
4/20/2006, 09:53 AM
In further research I think it was more like a "clubhouse." The Regency Park developers promoted the neighborhood as being the only one in the state with its own pool in the late 50s and early 60s and they held big block parties there and stuff.

Neato - all this stuff brings back some nice memories of bare feet on very hot pavement, rides in unairconditined cars (a few) and "finally" getting to the pool. The little kiddie section of that pool, by the way, extended from the corner of the pool just like the Oklahoma panhandle.