PDA

View Full Version : So Apparently I'm Diabetic...

SicEmBaylor
4/18/2006, 08:20 PM
Found out I was diabetic today. My blood sugar was over 500 which apparently is pretty high. But, I can treat it with a pill instead of insulin shots.

The thing of it is apparently almost everything I eat now I can't.
Anyone have any suggestions for stuff I can snack on throughout the day without it running up my blood sugar?

Dio
4/18/2006, 08:22 PM
Zima?

Seriously though, that's a bummer about the diabetes.

jacru
4/18/2006, 08:23 PM
m&m's. live hard die young.
did I just say that. oops.

mrowl
4/18/2006, 08:29 PM
dude... what have you been eating?????

SicEmBaylor
4/18/2006, 08:32 PM
m&m's. live hard die young.
did I just say that. oops.

I almost agree.
I'm going to cut out all of the obvious big sugar items like candy bars and what not, but to be honest I really can't see myself sitting around counting calories, watching the starches, etc.

I knwo that's crazy considering what it can do to me and the health problems it can cause...

royalfan5
4/18/2006, 08:34 PM
Just don't end up like my Grandpa did with one kidney and no legs. Of course he quit wearing pants, that may or may not be a plus for you.

jacru
4/18/2006, 08:36 PM
Seriously, there are alot of candies made with sugar alcohols instead of regular sugar. They taste the same but don't elevate blood sugar levels.

SoonerInKCMO
4/18/2006, 08:38 PM
Lots of :twinkies: :twinkies: :twinkies:

No, seriously give this book a look: The First Year. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1569245460/sr=1-2/qid=1145410493/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7915483-4080802?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books) A co-worker got it a few months ago and swears by it.

BajaOklahoma
4/18/2006, 08:50 PM
Your insurance company should pay for you to get diet counseling.
You are going to have to learn to count carbs - no way around it. But you can make a list of your most commonly eaten foods and their carbs count.

And, FYI, they can now do bloodwork to see what your average blood sugar was over the prior three months - so cheating is out. If you don't do what you know you need to do, you will be looking at insulin injections. And that is a major pain compared to the oral meds.

Tailwind
4/18/2006, 08:50 PM
I almost agree.
I'm going to cut out all of the obvious big sugar items like candy bars and what not, but to be honest I really can't see myself sitting around counting calories, watching the starches, etc.

I knwo that's crazy considering what it can do to me and the health problems it can cause...
Sorry to hear that you've joined us. It's really not so hard once you get used to it. You don't have to completely give up anything, just watch how much you eat, and add more healthier options. Are you taking Metformin?

OUDoc
4/18/2006, 08:55 PM
That sucks, man, but don't fart around with diabetes. It's a huge lifestyle change, but give it your best effort. Go to a diabetes class and talk to a dietician. Watch all the silly sugar you don't even realize you take in. Watch breads and pastas. Check your sugar, especially when you're sick and not eating, as they often go up due to stress/illness. Good luck.

49r
4/18/2006, 09:00 PM
It never fails. Whenever I go to QT, there's always a line of folks waiting to pay for their big-a5s (bigger-than-should-be-legal) sodas. I just shudder a little bit inside. Not that I blame the QT or the folks buying all that liquid sugar or anything, most folks just don't really know any better.

But it still makes me sad in my pants to see it.

Okla-homey
4/18/2006, 09:11 PM
Its beef jerky time!

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2006, 09:13 PM
Its beef jerky time!
I thought it was peanut butter jelly time.:confused:

SnappyDaze
4/18/2006, 09:18 PM
I cut out sugar in my diet around Valentines Day, and haven't looked back since. There are alot of sugar free products out there that are very good.

handcrafted
4/18/2006, 09:20 PM
Trust me, after a while you won't miss the candy and sodas. I quit them several years ago just for weight loss reasons. Now, whenever I do drink sodas (which is seldom) or eat chocolate (almost never), they make me feel ill and give me the runs something terrible.

I do believe that meat is allowed for diabetics. Steak and grilled vegetables for you!

SicEmBaylor
4/18/2006, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear that you've joined us. It's really not so hard once you get used to it. You don't have to completely give up anything, just watch how much you eat, and add more healthier options. Are you taking Metformin?

Glyburide at the moment until this Actos comes in then I'm switching to that.

Chuck Bao
4/18/2006, 09:28 PM
I don't like the taste of sugar or anything sweet. My doctor wants me to try cutting out whiskey. I'm not so willing to do just that.

Good luck, SicEmBear.

handcrafted
4/18/2006, 09:31 PM
I think for diabetics whiskey and beer are bad, but dry wine and vodka are okay. Check with the doc, tho.

Tiptonsooner
4/18/2006, 09:56 PM
Be very aware, sugar alcohols are very good laxatives. They also give you bad gas, so the combination is similiar to russian roullette. I aquired this knowledge the hard way.

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2006, 09:58 PM
Be very aware, sugar alcohols are very good laxatives. They also give you bad gas, so the combination is similiar to russian roullette. I aquired this knowledge the hard way.
Here is a list of the things that don't give me gas:

I think that covers it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/18/2006, 10:06 PM
Found out I was diabetic today. My blood sugar was over 500 which apparently is pretty high. But, I can treat it with a pill instead of insulin shots.

The thing of it is apparently almost everything I eat now I can't.
Anyone have any suggestions for stuff I can snack on throughout the day without it running up my blood sugar?Sorry dude, but you can't be losing any weight because of this. Aren't you a pretty little guy to begin with?

SicEmBaylor
4/18/2006, 10:11 PM
Sorry dude, but you can't be losing any weight because of this. Aren't you a pretty little guy to begin with?

Yeah, I need to gain weight which is why this watching what I eat is going to suck. I've always had a metabolism like you wouldn't believe. I snack around and eat tons of junk food constantly and I can't gain a pound. But I've been losing weight and stuff for awhile so maybe that was an affect of the diabetes...I don't know.

Scott D
4/19/2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I need to gain weight which is why this watching what I eat is going to suck. I've always had a metabolism like you wouldn't believe. I snack around and eat tons of junk food constantly and I can't gain a pound. But I've been losing weight and stuff for awhile so maybe that was an affect of the diabetes...I don't know.

junk food is the dumbest way to gain weight, all you do is create more for your body to burn off, not exactly build any mass. If that was what your original intent was, you'd have been better off going the route of eating more of pastas and rices than stuffing your face with snickers and twinkies.

The dietary changes aren't as extreme as you are usually led to believe. I live with two diabetics, a type 1 and a type 2. I'm not diabetic, but I eat the same meals at home that they do. They're really pretty much the same, you just need to look at cutting down certain aspects of things. Eat an apple instead of a candy bar, drink juice instead of soda(pop, coke, whatever you call it). Increase your daily intake of water.

Stuff like eating grilled chicken instead of beef at times can be helpful. Basically you want to cut down on fried stuff, and go more with grilled/baked stuff. You'll probably find that the stuff you are switching over to actually tastes better than some of the stuff you've cut down on eating in the first place.