PDA

View Full Version : Any VW Jetta owners here?

slickdawg
4/18/2006, 04:49 PM
Comments? Likes, dislikes?

We're thinking about getting slickwife one for her commute. The diesel
one gets 50MPG or so, and with gas going over $3 very soon, it's looking
like a good idea.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2006, 04:51 PM
We had one. Traded it in. It was a good car. It was silver.

mrowl
4/18/2006, 04:51 PM
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/article/675/675510/brokeback-mountain-20051213061537535.jpg

yermom
4/18/2006, 04:56 PM
i don't think they quite hit 50, more like 40's and that is the EPA rating, not actual mileage

i don't know about the new ones, but the previous generation ones were pretty nice, they are really skimping on the warranty now though

slickdawg
We had one. Traded it in. It was a good car. It was silver.

If it was so good, then why did you trade it? ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Hamhock
hot tea?

slickdawg
4/18/2006, 04:57 PM
hot tea?

You can talk about my momma, but you better not ever say that again.

Okla-homey
4/18/2006, 04:58 PM
We got a gasoline one for the kid to drive. Its been a pretty good car for her. Nothing major has gone wrong with it in almost four years and counting. The minor stuff was all covered by the warranty. Knock on wood.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2006, 04:59 PM
If it was so good, then why did you trade it? ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Lease was up.

slickdawg
We got a gasoline one for the kid to drive. Its been a pretty good car for her. Nothing major has gone wrong with it in almost four years and counting. The minor stuff was all covered by the warranty. Knock on wood.

YMSSRA!

Thanks!!

1stTimeCaller
I heard that there are tons of problems with the windows. Specifically that they just drop down into the door and that's it's an engineering problem because you have to have it fixed over and over and over and over and over.

slickdawg
Lease was up.

How did you like the lease option? I've never used a lease, I've always bought. I suspect for high mileage, it's not a good deal.

Hamhock
4/18/2006, 05:00 PM
Dave Ramsey says never lease.

slickdawg
4/18/2006, 05:00 PM
I heard that there are tons of problems with the windows. Specifically that they just drop down into the door and that's it's an engineering problem because you have to have it fixed over and over and over and over and over.

Well, since it's hot in tejas and a drought, that's not too big of a deal. ;)

JohnnyMack
4/18/2006, 05:01 PM

Dave Ramsey would have you sit in a dark cave with your cash in mason jars never spending a dime on anything.

slickdawg
4/18/2006, 05:01 PM

He's a pretty SMRT guy!

slickdawg
4/18/2006, 05:02 PM
Dave Ramsey would have you sit in a dark cave with your cash in mason jars never spending a dime on anything.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JohnnyMack again.

yermom
the Driver's option thing is lame

if you can afford to get a regular loan it's a much better thing

JohnnyMack
How did you like the lease option? I've never used a lease, I've always bought. I suspect for high mileage, it's not a good deal.

Got another VW product. It was painless. I will say lease options can be a bad deal if you drive a lot. They will force you to buy a motorcycle with a sidecar.

sanantoniosooner
Not true.

Money is a tool to be used wisely, not flushed down the toilet.(like my corn)

Okla-homey
4/18/2006, 05:03 PM

He also says never buy new. He's right that the depreciation you suffer when you drive it off the lot is like throwing money out the window, but I'm a knucklehead I guess because I like to get 'em new then drive the suckas for ten years.

1stTimeCaller
Got another VW product. It was painless. I will say lease options can be a bad deal if you drive a lot. They will force you to buy a motorcycle with a sidecar.

yep

Howzit
I had an '87 years ago. I had problems with the CV joint boots tearing, but that was about it.

Oh, and they don't like being driven through roof-height water.

slickdawg
4/18/2006, 05:05 PM
I had an '87 years ago. I had problems with the CV joint boots tearing, but that was about it.

Care to expand?

Okla-homey

That said, I bet they got some real peaches marked waaaay down in and around NOLA these days.

sanantoniosooner
Care to expand?
I think he means that you can't drive underwater.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2006, 05:06 PM
Screw Dave Ramsey. Sure I could buy a car and then drive it for 10 years, but I can handle the payments of a lease, and I get a little bit nicer car to boot, so eff off DR.

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2006, 05:08 PM
Screw Dave Ramsey. Sure I could buy a car and then drive it for 10 years, but I can handle the payments of a lease, and I get a little bit nicer car to boot, so eff off DR.
Dude just wants you to live well and leave something for the kids.

slickdawg
4/18/2006, 05:09 PM
That said, I bet they got some real peaches marked waaaay down in and around NOLA these days.

Funny you mention NOLA, I drove to through today and a lot of the city
still looks like a ghost town.

There's a brigde called the "High Rise" on I-10 (it is built high so that
ships can pass under it). The gree interstate sign in the middle lane that used to read "New Orleans" had a piece ripped off, reveling a g where the
s was, so the sign read "New Orleang"

JohnnyMack
4/18/2006, 05:09 PM
Dude just wants you to live well and leave something for the kids.

I have no cc debt, I'm socking money away for that and if I wanna spend $100 more a month on a car payment, then I will.

Howzit
4/18/2006, 06:17 PM
Care to expand?

It didn't look THAT deep.

;)

opksooner
4/18/2006, 06:49 PM
VW message board (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=17)

YWIA

yermom
4/18/2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.hpamotorsports.com/index.htm

YWIA ;)

SCOUT
4/18/2006, 07:26 PM
The wife picked up a 2005 Jetta (unleaded instead of deisel) about 9 months ago. She is leasing but really doesn't drive all that much.

So far I would recommend the car. It handles well, has decent acceleration and gets about 24 mpg. The 24 mpg are real world mileage of about 40% highway and 60% city. The only problem she has had is the door speaker on the driver side rattled from day one. They fixed it under warranty so it wasn't an issue.

Cam
4/18/2006, 07:39 PM
I love my 2000 Passat. Has over 45K and all I've had to do is replace the head light bulbs.

Norm In Norman
4/18/2006, 10:07 PM
I wanted a VW when we purchased a few weeks ago. The deciding factor? Cable VW is way the hell on the other side of OKC. I didn't want to drive that far to test one and I didn't want to drive that far if something went wrong with it. Also, since there aren't any other VW dealers in the area, they dont' really have to haggle at all on the price.

Oh, and the japanese car's resale value is really high so I don't see what the big deal about buying new is. I mean, you can basically save like 1k on a 20k car by buying used. Bob Howard has this walkaway insurance program going on where the insurance will pay you like 7k if you decide you don't want the car for any reason. Let's see here...

You pay 20k for a car, they give you 13k trade for the car plus your 7k from the insurance to pay off your bill. Then they go and resell the car for 19k and make 6k pure profit (plus the profit they made on the first sale). They are making out like bandits.

Jimminy Crimson
4/18/2006, 10:09 PM
My brother bought a new Jetta last year. No probs, so far, for him.

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2006, 10:11 PM
Buick owners
Volvo owners
VW owners

annoying

Jimminy Crimson
4/18/2006, 10:24 PM
old, liberal, and ghey. respectively. /:dean:

;)

yermom
4/19/2006, 06:07 AM
I wanted a VW when we purchased a few weeks ago. The deciding factor? Cable VW is way the hell on the other side of OKC. I didn't want to drive that far to test one and I didn't want to drive that far if something went wrong with it. Also, since there aren't any other VW dealers in the area, they dont' really have to haggle at all on the price.

Oh, and the japanese car's resale value is really high so I don't see what the big deal about buying new is. I mean, you can basically save like 1k on a 20k car by buying used. Bob Howard has this walkaway insurance program going on where the insurance will pay you like 7k if you decide you don't want the car for any reason. Let's see here...

You pay 20k for a car, they give you 13k trade for the car plus your 7k from the insurance to pay off your bill. Then they go and resell the car for 19k and make 6k pure profit (plus the profit they made on the first sale). They are making out like bandits.

looking back, my gf probably shouldn't have gotten her VW for this reason

a VW dealer on The Mile would be awesome.... unless that happens she probably won't replace her Jetta with another VW