PDA

View Full Version : OU preview on front page of yahoo sports

KStatePike
4/18/2006, 04:42 PM
I don't think that theres anything on here that you guys don't already know. I'm a bit puzzled by his first sentence though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf;_ylt=AuSUBqV0SnMX6rpf.bsuAuw5nYcB

Jello Biafra
4/18/2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think that theres anything on here that you guys don't already know. I'm a bit puzzled by his first sentence though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf;_ylt=AuSUBqV0SnMX6rpf.bsuAuw5nYcB

seriously?

stewart mandel? he may as well be howie mandel or nickzepp mandel.......

2 mediocre seasons? as soon as i read that and then looked at his picture......i closed the page. no use in even wasting any more time with it.

BASSooner
4/18/2006, 04:47 PM
I think he was talking about the defense being mediocre the last 2 seasons

NickZeppelin
4/18/2006, 04:52 PM
Defense hasn't been that good the last 2 seasons.

tbl
4/18/2006, 04:57 PM
For the whole story....

Spring bonanza

Stewart Mandel, SI.com

Let's get right to it -- the latest news, notes and observations from spring practices around the country.

• Word out of Oklahoma is that after two uncharacteristically mediocre seasons, the Sooners' defense, led by a trio of veterans -- linebacker Rufus Alexander and defensive ends Calvin Thibodeaux and C.J. Ah You -- should return to dominance this fall. The bigger mystery is how OU's ultra-young offense will develop.

Sooners offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson knows he has at least one luxury at his disposal, a fully healthy Adrian Peterson, but beyond that there are a lot of unproven commodities. Sophomore quarterback Rhett Bomar is still a work in progress, and four of the five starting offensive linemen from the end of last season are gone, as are veteran receivers Travis Wilson and Jejaun Rankins. Injuries along the line have prevented Wilson from getting a full read on that unit, but he raved last week about sophomore receivers Malcolm Kelly, Juaquin Iglesias and Manuel Johnson, who join senior Paul Thompson, a converted quarterback.

"This group is as talented, if not more talented, than two years ago [when OU had Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley, Travis Wilson, Brandon Jones and Will Peoples], it's just the experience is lacking," said Wilson, who assumed the coordinator's role when Chuck Long became the head coach at San Diego State. "Malcolm Kelly could end up being one of the great receivers ever to play here."

Traditionally, under Bob Stoops, Oklahoma has excelled at reinventing itself offensively from one year to the next (think 2002-03, when the Sooners went from a powerful running season led by Quentin Griffin to a pass-happy season in which Jason White won the Heisman), but the team struggled mightily with the post-White transition last year. (Peterson's ankle injury certainly didn't help.) Not until the final six games, five of them Oklahoma victories -- including a 17-14 upset of 10-1 Oregon in the Holiday Bowl -- did it seem like everyone was finally on the same page.

For the second straight year, however, the O-line will be undergoing a major face-lift, with promising sophomores Branndon Braxton and Duke Robinson considered cornerstones of the future. Besides using Peterson as a pass-catcher more often, Wilson has offered little clue as to what direction the offense will take in 2006, mostly because he himself doesn't know.

"I don't want to give the ball to Number 28 all the time; I'm trying to be attack-oriented," said Wilson. "But everything will be determined by what the line can handle, and what [Bomar] can handle."

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2006, 05:00 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before negging NickZeppelin again.:O

Jello Biafra
4/18/2006, 05:04 PM
my Defense hasn't been that good the last 2 weeks.

gotcha fixed up there, spanky.

Jello Biafra
4/18/2006, 05:05 PM
I think he was talking about the defense being mediocre the last 2 seasons

i guess i shut the page a couple of words early....i still disagree. i don't think our defense was that bad two years ago.

OUstud
4/18/2006, 05:37 PM
In 2004 we held Oregon to 7 points, BU and Saxet to 0, and CU to 3.

NickZeppelin
4/18/2006, 05:54 PM
i guess i shut the page a couple of words early....i still disagree. i don't think our defense was that bad two years ago.

The defenses the last 2 years are about like the defense was early in 1999 to early 2000 and 2002.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/18/2006, 06:21 PM
Early or late 2000....doesn't matter

That D was the shiznit

XingTheRubicon
4/18/2006, 06:22 PM
'04 defense gave up 125 points to aggy, aggy and SC down the stretch.

You can't say a defense is good if they give up 55 points in one game. It's kind of a rule.

NickZeppelin
4/18/2006, 08:04 PM
Early or late 2000....doesn't matter

That D was the shiznit

That defense really matured about midseason then shut teams down. Really their stats look similar to last years overall.

2001 was by far the most dominant defense OU's had under Stoops.

goingoneight
4/18/2006, 10:15 PM
In 2004 we held Oregon to 7 points, BU and Saxet to 0, and CU to 3.

Oregon sucked in 2004, BU is BU, and Nebbish and "others" both held a better CU team to three points.

OU's D has been lacking fire since late 2003. The defense was key to OUr successes as Bob Stoops was once known for top-notch defenses, hopefully OU has gotten past the sloppy tackle bug, the butter-fingers syndrome, and the swing and miss "don't tackle them, just hit them, it looks cooler."

goingoneight
4/18/2006, 11:31 PM
Oregon sucked in 2004, BU is BU, and Nebbish and "others" both held a better CU team to three points.

OU's D has been lacking fire since late 2003. The defense was key to OUr successes as Bob Stoops was once known for top-notch defenses, hopefully OU has gotten past the sloppy tackle bug, the butter-fingers syndrome, and the swing and miss "don't tackle them, just hit them, it looks cooler."

fixed it to be a little more Tuesday-friendly...

Big Red Ron
4/18/2006, 11:46 PM
Defense hasn't been that good the last 2 seasons.http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

Niether have you.:twinkies:

Sooner in Tampa
4/19/2006, 06:10 AM
I really suck and should grow up and get a freakin clue about OU Football :eddie: :twinkies:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/19/2006, 08:30 AM
Defense hasn't been freakishly good the last 2 seasons and I like to keep it on the down low

Fixed

Sonner magic923
4/19/2006, 10:43 AM
The key to a successful draft is being savvy enough to find a diamond in the rough like Mark Clayton or Richard Dent (both eighth-round picks) and being lucky enough to avoid selecting the next Ryan Leaf (No. 2 pick overall in 1998).

what the f#*k??

caphorns
4/19/2006, 11:07 AM
By Bob Stoops' very high standards, your defense has been mediocre the past couple of seasons. Two years ago it was your secondary - which f'n Greg Davis/Mack Brown failed to exploit AT ALL. Last year it was still secondary issues but also an inexperienced DL. This year your front 7 looks amazing and up to the Stoops standard but you guys would have to tell me what the improvement will be in the secondary.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 11:14 AM
By Bob Stoops' very high standards, your defense has been mediocre the past couple of seasons. Two years ago it was your secondary - which f'n Greg Davis/Mack Brown failed to exploit AT ALL. Last year it was still secondary issues but also an inexperienced DL. This year your front 7 looks amazing and up to the Stoops standard but you guys would have to tell me what the improvement will be in the secondary.

Actually our DL last year was better then it was in 2004.

RedstickSooner
4/19/2006, 03:16 PM
Hey, quick question about the 2001 defense (which was amazingly good). What was the deal with the Bugeater game that season?

I've watched the game a couple times on ESPN Suffering (AKA, ESPN CLassic), and I still don't get how they were able to run all over us at will. I mean, they mounted a ground game, for heck's sake.

Was it one of those "the right offense to exploit our weaknesses" thing, or was it a momentum thing, or what? Given how good our 2001 defense was, I've never been able to totally grok what went wrong against Nebraska. (And it didn't seem like it was just our offense's fault, either.)

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 03:31 PM
That was the lowest total Nebraska had rushing all that year. At half-time against Miami they had more rushing yards.

CincySooner
4/19/2006, 03:53 PM
@ redstick: Actually, outside of the trick play, the defense did pretty dang good in that game. 13 first downs. 164 rush yds. 165 passing (63 of which came you-know-when) Also, dont forget that Nebraska was very, very good a running the ball that year. It was inevitable that they would put together at least one long, TD drive.

I dont blame anyone for that game.... great game between 2 great teams. the home crowd and a JW injury were the difference to me.

@ nick: check your facts...... I thought your statement was a little wonkey, so I went back to the play-by-play..... by my count, NU had 95 yds at halftime against miami. NU finished with 197.

Jello Biafra
4/19/2006, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=CincySooner
I dont blame anyone for that game.... .[/QUOTE]

i do. BY GAWD!!!! the refs. again.

we got a 15 yard face mask on 4th and long on an obvious 5 yard infraction that gave those homeowners the first down to continue the drive that gave em the trick play that sealed our fate. still irritated at that......:cool:

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 04:15 PM
If I remember right Nebraska had about 40 yards on one run by Eric Crouch. That would set put the pass play he later got on that drive. Take out those 2 plays and they have about 90 less yards of offense.

Nebraska was really good at running the ball that year. But we held em down rushing for most of that game. I haven't seen that game in a while. I just can't watch the end of it. But our defense dominated their run game.

Jello Biafra
4/19/2006, 05:06 PM
If I remember right Nebraska had about 40 yards on one run by Eric Crouch.

i think it was an exact replica of the play we tried to run on them a series or two before. a rb pass to the qb. the difference in the outcome was crouch didn't trip over the column of ants.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 05:15 PM
That was later in that same drive though. If you remember right they were backed up at their own 5 or so. It may have been deeper. Crouch had his first big run of the game and got to about the 40. Then maybe the next play or one or two plays later they ran that trick play we ran.

caphorns
4/19/2006, 05:53 PM
Actually our DL last year was better then it was in 2004.

maybe I've got my years mixed up but your DL didn't seem very threatening without Dan Cody. Dan was really a one-man wrecking crew IMO. An exceptionally consistent and aggressive dude. Of course, the DL hasn't been quite the same since big boy Harris left anyway.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 06:05 PM
As a team OU had 45 sacks 29 by the DLine. In 04 OU had 39 total. 30 by the DLine.

NormanPride
4/19/2006, 06:29 PM
Hybl tripping on that play was the definition of his year. Poor guy just couldn't seem to get anything right.

EDIT: You know, I just couldn't let it go. That play happened right in front of me and it's one of those that gets burned in your memory. I'll never forget seeing him fall down as the ball arced towards him. Heck, he probably wouldn't have scored anyway, but it was a sad moment nonetheless. That was the first Sooner loss I had ever seen in person. :(

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 06:44 PM
There wasn't a Husker anywhere close to him. The only way he doesn't score on that play is if he falls down.

NormanPride
4/19/2006, 06:46 PM
Dude, do you remember how slow he was? The DTs could have caught him. ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/19/2006, 06:49 PM
Dude, do you remember how slow he was? The DTs could have caught him. ;)
As many concussions as he had, he might have got a safety on that play.

NormanPride
4/19/2006, 06:58 PM
As many concussions as he had, he might have got a safety on that play.

In hindsight, I'm just glad the pass wasn't picked off for a TD. :D

caphorns
4/20/2006, 09:45 AM
As a team OU had 45 sacks 29 by the DLine. In 04 OU had 39 total. 30 by the DLine.

So marginally better on sacks by the DL. But as I recall, back in 2003, Tommie didn't get sacks but took care of anywhere between 3 to 5 offensive linemen (plus a couple of blocking backs and maybe a tight end or two) while your LBs got their choice of sacking technique to use (the only issue being that sometimes Lehman would get there so fast you couldn't even tell there was a sack) ;)

toast
4/20/2006, 11:09 AM
So marginally better on sacks by the DL. But as I recall, back in 2003, Tommie didn't get sacks but took care of anywhere between 3 to 5 offensive linemen (plus a couple of blocking backs and maybe a tight end or two) while your LBs got their choice of sacking technique to use (the only issue being that sometimes Lehman would get there so fast you couldn't even tell there was a sack) ;)

Of course, Lehman/Harris combined for as many or more RRS touchdown's as such great ut players like tfrw, el ced, so on and so on ;)

caphorns
4/20/2006, 11:13 AM
My bad. I forget how much you guys are bursting at the seams to bring back the old school smack.

toast
4/20/2006, 11:20 AM
My bad. I forget how much you guys are bursting at the seams to bring back the old school smack.

No problem, you keep pitching them up there and we'll keep knocking them out of the park.