PDA

View Full Version : Car Dealership getting us in trouble??

Collier11
4/18/2006, 02:36 PM
I have NO facts, NO links, just heresay...that being said, has anyone heard that some of our players have been caught getting cheap or free leases from a Norman Dealer, like I said I know nothing but I have heard this rumor twice now in the last week???

OklahomaTuba
4/18/2006, 02:38 PM
Well, if they have have a job and 199 Dollars, they can have a special at big red sports and imports.

Collier11
4/18/2006, 02:41 PM
thats exactly who im talking about

usmc-sooner
4/18/2006, 02:53 PM
I think those rumors started on an OSU board or Jim Traber.com because my OSU fan was bringing this up to me last week.

Collier11
4/18/2006, 02:58 PM
It was a OSU fan both times that I heard it from, so maybe that explains it

The VIIIth
4/18/2006, 03:05 PM
This deal is three weeks old, it's been investigated by OU compliance simply because there may have been an appearance of improprietry. It centered around loaner cars during a car repair, not free cars.

There was none (no NCAA violation) and then the issue was exacerbated by the sudden dismissal of McRae (pitchman) and Bob Grey the GM. Hudiburg bought BR and simply changed the guard.

There are a bunch of pseudonym bearing whorns on Rivals who are trying to stir up something that is a dead horse.

I mentioned this entire deal to jkm in a PM a while back simply so there would be no bad pub against OU posted publicly.

Some moron on Rivals (imagine that) started the thread publicly like a bozo and then I, like, bozo jr. injected a few facts to clear up the BS and got rained on in the board.

Heck, I thought they might want a little clarity because some of them were roping Bomar into the deal and he has nothing to do with the AD/BR dead horse...anyways, rest easy.

Collier11
4/18/2006, 03:07 PM
well thanks for that, I was just wondering...anytime the names that were named are mentioned, it needs to be clarified

Collier11
4/18/2006, 03:14 PM
To whoever messaged me that this is a ignorant and stupid thread...I have no idea where you could be coming from. I heard that two or three of our star players have been recieving benefits and Im sorry if that cast bad light on our program, but stuff like that needs to be cleared up cus we all know how rumors are. I didnt present it as fact, I merely asked if anyone had heard and obviously several of you have, so I dont see it as ignorant or stupid to ask.

The Consumate Showman
4/18/2006, 03:24 PM
I think it's rather funny to watch some of the seniors when it gets near the end of the season. Like Clint Ingram this year, I saw that he was driving a Caddy a week before the Holiday Bowl and at the Red/White game, he had traded it in for an Isuzu Rodeo...I guess his agent broke it to him that he might not go real high in the draft...

But oh yeah, I remember some whorn fan trying to say that AD had broke NCAA rules by accepting an Escalade from one of the dealers in Norman...Word got around to just about every surface of the Earth before it was claered up...what a bunch of faggots. I'll bet good CA$$$$H that VY was rolllin' in a dope car/suv while he was at Sexat. They were just a little upset over the fact that AD pickd us over them...

picasso
4/18/2006, 03:27 PM
ok people and especially you oSu dork wannabe football fans. I've seen our best and brightest player, one Adrian Peterson, out and about in Norman and let me tell you he isn't driving a snazzy new car.

The Consumate Showman
4/18/2006, 03:31 PM
To whoever messaged me that this is a ignorant and stupid thread...I have no idea where you could be coming from. I heard that two or three of our star players have been recieving benefits and Im sorry if that cast bad light on our program, but stuff like that needs to be cleared up cus we all know how rumors are. I didnt present it as fact, I merely asked if anyone had heard and obviously several of you have, so I dont see it as ignorant or stupid to ask.

I'm with you Collier. This is a REALLY important issue to clear up because if it isn't, then we COULD be faced with all kinds of investigations and scrutiny. I sure don't want to be reading any bad pub about OU any time soon...we've had enough in the 80's.

Now, I will say that I think it is our frosh-juniors that need to be weary of things like this. The seniors can get away with a little more. They can go out and justify, some of them, getting a nice ride while still in school. I mean, just like Mark Clayton and Jammal last year...they both had some nice rides their senior years and rightly so. They sure as hell can afford it now...

The Consumate Showman
4/18/2006, 03:32 PM
ok people and especially you oSu dork wannabe football fans. I've seen our best and brightest player, one Adrian Peterson, out and about in Norman and let me tell you he isn't driving a snazzy new car.

Exactly! The only nice car I've seen him in is his buddies Jeep Liberty.

picasso
4/18/2006, 03:41 PM
Exactly! The only nice car I've seen him in is his buddies Jeep Liberty.
I saw him last winter at an eating establishment. he was exiting his car. it wasn't new or trendy or sharp by any means. it was well kept though and had new wheels on it.

yermom
4/18/2006, 05:25 PM
I saw him last winter at an eating establishment. he was exiting his car. it wasn't new or trendy or sharp by any means. it was well kept though and had new wheels on it.

i can vouch for this, unless he's gotten something else pretty recently

jackietreehorn
4/18/2006, 05:41 PM
i would take Bomar's car now over any kia on the lot.

The Consumate Showman
4/18/2006, 06:46 PM
you get negged too. Message boards do not clear anything up. Thanks for helping to promote rumors. assclown.

I would just love to know who put this on my rep.? Someone who obviously doesn't have the balls to put a name to it.

Oh, btw, I'm not promoting rumors. If I wanted to do that I might put some stupid BS on here that claims AD is driving around Norman in a Hummer, which he's not. Look COWARD, this is a message board and we talk about stuff on here, controversial and non, if you don't like that, go join another board and leave....TROLL.

Collier11
4/18/2006, 07:02 PM
The only reason this jerk is negging people is probably cus it was one of his buddies that got fired...None of us have promoted rumors, none of us has presented it as fact. When there is the possibility of something going on wrong, youve got to deal with it, not run from it cus it wont die. You my friend...whoever is negging us and being an ***, are a coward who likely runs from all of your problems as well

OklahomaTuba
4/18/2006, 07:02 PM
AD has a Hummer?

oumartin
4/18/2006, 07:20 PM
So, you guys are spreading rumors now huh? ;)
Some fans you are.. let me know when you find out who's negging u.

goingoneight
4/18/2006, 10:30 PM
[LoSur] "uo is a bunch of cheeters who by there players.peterman shoulda playded for us." [LoSur]

picasso
4/18/2006, 10:33 PM
how clever is their calling him Peterman? the kid only has about 500 yards on them in 2 games.:D

Ruuuuuufus
4/18/2006, 10:36 PM
If you "work" at the dealership can't you drive around in one of their cars?

badger
4/18/2006, 10:37 PM
did bubba paris ever get Courtney and Ashley their cars? If so, the aggies will have a field day.

[stupid aggie]A donor just bought the Paris twins new cars. That's the only way OU gets talent [/stupid aggie]

starclassic tama
4/19/2006, 12:42 AM
i saw ad driving an older oldsmobile i think it was... in decent shape with nice wheels but certainly not anything that you would look and say i wonder how he got that...

Ruuuuuufus
4/19/2006, 01:12 AM
OU looked into Peterson’s car deal

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Oklahoma officials recently reviewed a car deal involving star tailback Adrian Peterson, but ultimately found it to be legitimate.

No NCAA violations were discovered in Peterson's aborted purchase of a late-model Lexus from a Norman car dealer. Peterson's mother said he drove the car for several weeks last winter before returning it, but officials from OU's compliance department determined that the practice was not out of the ordinary for customers of Big Red Sports and Imports.

During the course of the review, OU officials considered several potential penalties, including a one-game suspension. But since it was determined Peterson had not received an extra benefit - defined by the NCAA as something provided to a student-athlete that is not available to the general student body of the university - no punishment will be levied.

Citing federal privacy legislation, OU officials declined specific comment about Peterson, who will be a junior next fall and is expected to be a leading contender for the Heisman Trophy. But in a statement released Tuesday by the school, associate athletic director Keith Gill acknowledged OU had initiated and conducted the review.

"We have pursued the matter in exhaustive fashion over a five-month period," Gill said in the statement. "Based on the information we have gathered, we do not believe NCAA rules violations have occurred."

OU officials also questioned Big Red's employment of football players, but found no violations. They do not intend to file a report with the NCAA. However, it is possible the NCAA could decide to investigate.

Brad McRae, who until recently was a part-owner of Big Red, said Peterson signed a sales contract several months ago to buy the Lexus. Peterson's mother, Bonita Jackson, said she had heard many rumors in recent weeks and months about the deal.

"I've heard a lot of different stories," Jackson said. "None of them are true."

Jackson said her son returned the car because the family determined it would not be able to afford the monthly payments. McRae said the dealership regularly allowed customers who signed contracts to drive the cars for a period of time before financing had been secured.

"We didn't do anything wrong," McRae said. "Is it standard operating business practice? Yes, it's standard operating business practice."

McRae was recently "fired or quit, however you want to put it," he said, because of a dispute with Big Red's majority owner. The dealership was then sold to the Hudiburg Auto Group of Oklahoma City. McRae said his departure and the subsequent sale was not related to OU or Peterson.

McRae said in recent weeks he had heard plenty of rumors, including one that many OU players were driving cars from Big Red. OU officials had heard the rumors, as well, and received at least one call to a compliance hotline maintained to allow the public to provide tips.

Most of the rumors concerned Peterson's aborted car deal. Peterson could not be reached Tuesday for comment, but his mother and step-father said the car deal was legitimate.

According to McRae and Jackson, Peterson had his mother's permission to purchase the Lexus, and financing had been secured.

"We were gonna purchase the car, but the payments were gonna be too high, so we took the car back," Jackson said.

Peterson's step-father said Tuesday his family was committed to keeping Peterson eligible for football.

"This is our child's future," Frankie Jackson said. "We don't want anything to happen to him because of some silly car deal. We're not going to do anything to jeopardize his future."

Last fall, Peterson was forced to sit out two practices after missing too many classes, triggering the punishment phase of OU's class attendance policy for athletes. Had he missed any more classes in the fall semester, he would have been suspended for the next game.

OU officials are prevented by privacy laws from discussing Peterson's status in regard to the class attendance. However, sources said Peterson has not had further class attendance problems.

http://newsok.com/article/1819933/?template=sports/ou

Collier11
4/19/2006, 02:27 AM
THANK YOU! Whoever made themselves look like an idiot by attacking me, there ya go d*ck weed! Not only did I not present this as fact, but this proves that my questions were legit and all I was doing was trying to squash any rumors. SO before you make an idiot out of yourself again, make sure you can back up your claims when calling someone ignorant and stupid.

OUAndy1807
4/19/2006, 05:27 AM
Last I saw, Peterson drives a Cadillac Catera with 20's, but that was like a year and a half ago.

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 08:10 AM
Last I saw, Peterson drives a Cadillac Catera with 20's, but that was like a year and a half ago.

I had heard this was a family car...

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 08:11 AM
THANK YOU! Whoever made themselves look like an idiot by attacking me, there ya go d*ck weed! Not only did I not present this as fact, but this proves that my questions were legit and all I was doing was trying to squash any rumors. SO before you make an idiot out of yourself again, make sure you can back up your claims when calling someone ignorant and stupid.

AMEN Collier! Whoever negged us sure looks like a real ********* now.......I knew they wouldn't have the balls to show themselves!!!!

SkipTracer
4/19/2006, 08:30 AM
aggots wouldn't know a nice car if they saw one. You call this nice?:D

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9376/mercedes27as.jpg

Norm In Norman
4/19/2006, 08:30 AM
Hey, let's stop the name calling and crap.

I saw AD just last night snorting cocaine while driving a monster truck full of hookers. I believe he was carrying a sawed off shotgun or maybe a machine gun. I couldn't tell for sure because it was obstructed by the American flag he had just lit on fire.

I am a bit worried though. I think his tag was expired.

Soonrboy
4/19/2006, 08:38 AM

I saw AD just last night snorting cocaine while driving a monster truck full of hookers. I believe he was carrying a sawed off shotgun or maybe a machine gun. I couldn't tell for sure because it was obstructed by the American flag he had just lit on fire.

I heard it was Gerald McCoy carrying the gun.

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 09:11 AM
whiney *** mofo. you didn't post the story, you were just talking about rumors, moran

Yet another jackass Sooner Fan, or so-called Sooner. No, I didn't report the story and no, I never said I was reporting a story. Yes, I was talking about rumors with everyone else on here trying to figure out what's true and what not true. If you, COWARD, would have read the DO, you would know that it in fact wasn't a RUMOR and was an actual, legit story that OU themselves looked in to.

Sorry Norm, but these ghey "soonerfans" that can't even sign a name to their negging really get my blood pumping.

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 09:15 AM
"LOCK IT UP"

usmc-sooner
4/19/2006, 09:18 AM
boycott BigRed

for the most annoying commercials in the world

picasso
4/19/2006, 09:20 AM

was that Doogie Howser I saw standing in the sunroof?

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 09:21 AM
boycott BigRed

for the most annoying commercials in the world

Thank God McRae got fired!

usmc-sooner
4/19/2006, 09:26 AM
was that Doogie Howser I saw standing in the sunroof?

he seemed so horny

makes me hungry for white castle

walkoffsooner
4/19/2006, 09:54 AM
Last time I was at big red there was some players detailing cars didn't look like they were getting anything for free.

caphorns
4/19/2006, 10:07 AM
So this dealership's normal practice was to allow "the public" to drive cars around for several weeks before purchasing them? You guys have it good there in Norman I guess ;)

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 10:12 AM
So this dealership's normal practice was to allow "the public" to drive cars around for several weeks before purchasing them? You guys have it good there in Norman I guess ;)

I've heard that VY and his boys have it mcuh better in Awesten...

Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

Quack 10
4/19/2006, 10:12 AM
[LoSur] "uo is a bunch of cheeters who by there players.peterman shoulda playded for us." [LoSur]

Hey. hey. hey! Don't be dragging my fine alma mater into your dirty little secrets. I saw Brady Leaf flying Uncle Phil's jet; I think you'll be okay.

caphorns
4/19/2006, 10:15 AM
I've heard that VY and his boys have it mcuh better in Awesten...

allegedly :)

sooneron
4/19/2006, 10:21 AM
Actually, when I was in the process of buying a Frontier in OKC, they said I could drive it for a few days to help me make up my mind.

I was not a player for the OU football team.

i promise

Vaevictis
4/19/2006, 10:38 AM

shrug, if I was a high-ish end car dealer, and I had a potential client like Peterson, I'd let them test drive it around for a few weeks.

1. AD will be good for the money. C'mon, you know he will.
2. If you're a salesman, why the hell wouldn't you want to start that relationship as soon as possible? The guy is going to have wads of disposable income in the future.
3. AD is probably noticed wherever he goes. AD in a Lexus == Advertisement.
4. He ain't gonna steal it. He's too well known, and has too much to lose.
4. Car is insured anyway. Liability is limited.

caphorns
4/19/2006, 10:38 AM
So I'm sure they would have let you run a used luxury vehicle around for "several weeks" to try it out?

I agree its not unusual to give a qualifying person (someone with $$ and a good credit history) a couple of days with a new car before finalizing the deal.

caphorns
4/19/2006, 10:39 AM
shrug, if I was a high-ish end car dealer, and I had a potential client like Peterson, I'd let them test drive it around for a few weeks.

1. AD will be good for the money. C'mon, you know he will.
2. If you're a salesman, why the hell wouldn't you want to start that relationship as soon as possible? The guy is going to have wads of disposable income in the future.
3. AD is probably noticed wherever he goes. AD in a Lexus == Advertisement.
4. He ain't gonna steal it. He's too well known, and has too much to lose.
4. Car is insured anyway. Liability is limited.

That's exactly the kind of thing that's prohibited by the NCAA. You can't imagine the offers these kids would get otherwise. I'm just sayin.

Vaevictis
4/19/2006, 11:10 AM
That's exactly the kind of thing that's prohibited by the NCAA. You can't imagine the offers these kids would get otherwise. I'm just sayin.

I thought the prohibitions were mostly geared towards special compensation associated with the *school* and actual direct compensation.

He wasn't getting special compensation for going to OU, and he wasn't actually getting any compensation; the dealer, in effect, extended him credit and a level of customer service associated with the kind of customer they expect him to be. Is that actually against NCAA regs?

I mean, hell, plenty of companies line up to extend credit to college students, especially those that they think will make big bucks. How is that different?

caphorns
4/19/2006, 11:20 AM
I thought the prohibitions were mostly geared towards special compensation associated with the *school* and actual direct compensation.

He wasn't getting special compensation for going to OU, and he wasn't actually getting any compensation; the dealer, in effect, extended him credit and a level of customer service associated with the kind of customer they expect him to be. Is that actually against NCAA regs?

I mean, hell, plenty of companies line up to extend credit to college students, especially those that they think will make big bucks. How is that different?

Seriously, could you imagine the level of mischief if this were to be acceptable with college athletes? Have you noticed that this level of credit is not exactly allowed until they sign on with an agent - suddenly they've got the wheels and the bling. It's not a coincidence. It's a rule.

Collier11
4/19/2006, 11:23 AM
It's a rule.

That is true, in the state of oklahoma, anything and everything about the state or university of texass is worthless and one day will break off into the gulf of mexico where it belongs! Rules are rules man

caphorns
4/19/2006, 11:25 AM
so if AD is worthless (being from the state of Texas) and corrupt to boot ;), can we have him back??

Vaevictis
4/19/2006, 11:40 AM
Have you noticed that this level of credit is not exactly allowed until they sign on with an agent - suddenly they've got the wheels and the bling. It's not a coincidence. It's a rule.

sheesh, where have you been? I've seen atheletes coming out of high school, ostensibly going into college, that get this kind of service.

MikeInNorman
4/19/2006, 01:14 PM
... the issue was exacerbated by the sudden dismissal of McRae (pitchman)

I'll bet they demanded that McRae lose the mullet and he said Hell No.

MikeInNorman
4/19/2006, 01:18 PM

Next thing you know, players would be getting free boots and all kinds of crap. Can't let that happen.

Collier11
4/19/2006, 02:35 PM
boots from dillards?

yermom
4/19/2006, 02:49 PM
So this dealership's normal practice was to allow "the public" to drive cars around for several weeks before purchasing them? You guys have it good there in Norman I guess

i've seen this more than once with used cars in Norman

did they ever say anything about the Lexus? they aren't all that expensive... some are basically just rebadged Camrys with better interiors and stuff

picasso
4/19/2006, 02:53 PM
hurry up! I'm losin wood...

MikeInNorman
4/19/2006, 03:35 PM
boots from dillards?

nah. That was just for caphorns.

Taxman71
4/19/2006, 04:45 PM
I thought Whorns only wore Redwings.

Hublah
4/19/2006, 09:50 PM
I think it's rather funny to watch some of the seniors when it gets near the end of the season. Like Clint Ingram this year, I saw that he was driving a Caddy a week before the Holiday Bowl and at the Red/White game, he had traded it in for an Isuzu Rodeo...I guess his agent broke it to him that he might not go real high in the draft...

But oh yeah, I remember some whorn fan trying to say that AD had broke NCAA rules by accepting an Escalade from one of the dealers in Norman...Word got around to just about every surface of the Earth before it was claered up...what a bunch of faggots. I'll bet good CA$$$$H that VY was rolllin' in a dope car/suv while he was at Sexat. They were just a little upset over the fact that AD pickd us over them...

I saw AD in a Subaru the other day...and it was from Big Red!!!

Jason White's Third Knee
4/19/2006, 10:04 PM
AD has a Hummer?

No dude. AD got a hummer. We were taking a page out of the colorado playbook. Remember, hillbilly chicks got no teeth.

caphorns
4/20/2006, 09:33 AM
I saw AD in a Subaru the other day...and it was from Big Red!!!

I'm a proud Subaru driver.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud.

Look, I know a crapload about Subaru incentives. And in no instance am I aware of a regular practice to allow people "several weeks" of test driving before buying the car (or maybe I'm just the one idiot that's not getting this deal).

caphorns
4/20/2006, 10:17 AM
Next thing you know, players would be getting free boots and all kinds of crap. Can't let that happen.

or full length mink coats :)

The Consumate Showman
4/20/2006, 10:45 AM

Like the one VY was reported wearing.......:rolleyes:

Taxman71
4/20/2006, 10:52 AM
In all fairness, it was probably a swamp rat coat. VY would not know the difference any more than he can count.

The Consumate Showman
4/20/2006, 10:53 AM
OUCH......

caphorns
4/20/2006, 11:10 AM
Like the one VY was reported wearing.......

Did you seriously think that was Jamelle in a Burnt Orange uniform THROWING for 3 hundy and picking apart your defensive scheme?

Collier11
4/20/2006, 12:36 PM
Lets not even talk about getting your defense picked apart cus im pretty sure that heupel and white completely exposed you guys to the count of say...60 frickin points

footballfanatic
4/20/2006, 12:45 PM

Too bad AD picked the wrong school and blew his chance at a national championship. Oh well, he'll still go high in the draft.

yermom
4/20/2006, 01:20 PM
I'm a proud Subaru driver.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud.

Look, I know a crapload about Subaru incentives. And in no instance am I aware of a regular practice to allow people "several weeks" of test driving before buying the car (or maybe I'm just the one idiot that's not getting this deal).

NTTAWWT

really ;)

caphorns
4/20/2006, 01:40 PM
Lets not even talk about getting your defense picked apart cus im pretty sure that MIKE LEACH completely exposed THE UT DEFENSIVE COACHING STAFF to the count of say...100+ frickin points

Fixed that one for you.

Collier11
4/20/2006, 01:45 PM
have at it

MikeInNorman
4/20/2006, 02:35 PM
Too bad AD picked the wrong school and blew his chance at a sweet new pimped-out Escalade. Oh well, he'll still go high in the draft.

Fixed that for you.

jeremy885
4/20/2006, 03:23 PM
So I'm sure they would have let you run a used luxury vehicle around for "several weeks" to try it out?

I agree its not unusual to give a qualifying person (someone with $$ and a good credit history) a couple of days with a new car before finalizing the deal.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with caphorns. I've never heard of a dealership allowing anyone weeks to decide on whether or not they were going to buy the car, while they drove it around.

I'm not saying he broke any rules, but it sounds like he received special treatment. But then again, it was Big Red so who knows.

yermom
4/20/2006, 03:27 PM
he had signed a contract, and they were working out financing

i had a buddy do a similar thing a few years ago. the dealer was pushing so hard to make the sale, they let him drive it for two weeks or so to make up his mind, they even let him drive it to Dallas for a weekend

then he decided the payments were going to be too high and that he didn't want it

jeremy885
4/20/2006, 03:36 PM
Did he have to pay anything for the time he had the vehicle (AD and your friend)?

yermom
4/20/2006, 03:37 PM
nope

they did have his trade-in at the lot the whole time

i'm assuming the case with AD was similar

with used cars they aren't usually too stingy about that sorta thing

(this wasn't Big Red either)

jeremy885
4/20/2006, 03:53 PM
interesting. Learn something new today.

yermom
4/20/2006, 04:05 PM
not that anyone could get that sort of treatment though, i'm sure your average college kid would not get this type of deal on a regular basis

i'm just saying that it does happen for people that aren't named Adrian Peterson

MamaMia
4/20/2006, 04:37 PM
Did I mention that when I was a student at OU, and a waitress at the Mont, Big Red Auto cheated me out $2,400.00? It had taken me 2 years of riding a bicycle and waiting tables to save up enough to buy a used car from them. They changed the oil before I drove it off the lot and forgot to replace the oil pan. The oil light didnt work. A couple days later the oil leaked out and the block cracked. When I went to see them with the mechanic that had rescued me on the highway they laughed about it and told me "Tough luck", and said that I bought the car "as is." Real bunch of honest folks they have there. :rolleyes:

The VIIIth
4/20/2006, 04:39 PM

or brunch at the Four Seasons...

The VIIIth
4/20/2006, 04:57 PM
I hate to say it, but I have to agree with caphorns. I've never heard of a dealership allowing anyone weeks to decide on whether or not they were going to buy the car, while they drove it around.

I'm not saying he broke any rules, but it sounds like he received special treatment. But then again, it was Big Red so who knows.

Very common practice at dealerships where one has exhibited good credit, has been a regular customer for several car purchases (some folks still buy a new car every year, God knows why, but they do) or some similar circumstance that distinguishes them to the dealership. It's probably practiced at every dealership on the Mile...it seems like a pretty competitive business, I suspect any edge they can cheat you out of is a good edge...I don't mind the sales guys, it's that "I gotta check with the manager" BS that infuriates me...but the worst of all of 'em are the finance guys. They'll load you up with warranties and undercoating crap without even asking you...

Hate Big Car dealerships...:texan:

footballfanatic
4/20/2006, 05:15 PM
Fixed that for you.

You have to admit it's pretty ironic that Peterson chose OU over UT because "he wanted to win a National Championship." Now, he'll just have to dream about it, because though he may have a great career, ain't no way OU is gonna do it in the next two years.

MamaMia
4/20/2006, 05:23 PM
Remind me not to buy a car from a dealership who lets people ride around in them for free for weeks at a time.

BASSooner
4/20/2006, 05:26 PM
You have to admit it's pretty ironic that Peterson chose OU over UT because "he wanted to win a National Championship." Now, he'll just have to dream about it, because though he may have a great career, ain't no way OU is gonna do it in the next two years.
What makes you think that can't happen? Maybe not the year that is coming up but the year after...I don't see why you say we can't do it... We'll have veterans on both sides of the field and we'll be freakishly good.

footballfanatic
4/20/2006, 06:25 PM
What makes you think that can't happen? Maybe not the year that is coming up but the year after...I don't see why you say we can't do it... We'll have veterans on both sides of the field and we'll be freakishly good.

Ouside of AD, there isn't much else on the offensive side of the ball. The offensive line is the big liability. Too much inexperience, not enough star players. The defense is very good, not great, but the o-line problems, plus the lack of a threat in the passing game make the team too one-dimensional. It's not that the team is bad, but being good won't cut it to win the whole thingy. Expect to see USC back on top, perhaps OSU, (Ohio State, not the other OSU) or even a Southeastern team, but I think the Big 12's three consecutive appearances in the title game will end this year, possibly for some time, IMO.

TheGodfather889
4/20/2006, 06:33 PM
I've only heard that Adrian Peterson was seen buying a Lexus at the dealership. I'm not saying he got the money from boosters and I know Adrian isn't poor but he's not rich. And he's certainly not rich enough to buy a Lexus.

shavedmarmoset
4/20/2006, 06:35 PM
Ouside of AD, there isn't much else on the offensive side of the ball. The offensive line is the big liability. Too much inexperience, not enough star players. The defense is very good, not great, but the o-line problems, plus the lack of a threat in the passing game make the team too one-dimensional. It's not that the team is bad, but being good won't cut it to win the whole thingy. Expect to see USC back on top, perhaps OSU, (Ohio State, not the other OSU) or even a Southeastern team, but I think the Big 12's three consecutive appearances in the title game will end this year, possibly for some time, IMO.

USC? No sir. Not number one. I'd say LSU or ND (god forbid I'm right).

Malcolm Kelly I think is the playmaker this team needs at receiver. If Bomar can get the ball to him just a little more, the whole conference will be talking about him. He made some great catches last year.

BASSooner
4/20/2006, 07:06 PM
all the stuff that is in bold is where you are wrong.

The Consumate Showman
4/20/2006, 07:35 PM
footballfanatic, are you a Lester fan??? The Big XII is one of the toughest conferences out there next to the SEC and Big 10. IMO, OU will be Dancing in Arizona this year on the foeld of the Fiesta Bowl after they win the NC game...We are tough on D and will be extremely dangerous on O with new wrinkles in the passing game....keep your eyes closed if you must, they will be opened in early January....

footballfanatic
4/20/2006, 08:43 PM
USC? No sir. Not number one. I'd say LSU or ND (god forbid I'm right).

Malcolm Kelly I think is the playmaker this team needs at receiver. If Bomar can get the ball to him just a little more, the whole conference will be talking about him. He made some great catches last year.

USC is possibly even better, if that's possible. They are so deep, it's almost unfair.
Both of last year's backup qb's are back--both would have started for almost any other school (excluding, of course, my beloved Horns--though this year I'd take them in a heartbeat) I don't think Bomar is bad--just not great, at least yet. The real concern of you is continuing troubles in the line. Any team's success begins in the line--without a great one, you can't win the whole enchalada.

footballfanatic
4/20/2006, 08:45 PM
all the stuff that is in bold is where you are wrong.

Hardly. It's not unfair for me to state that until the line proves itself (and there is no proof they'll be better), the team must be considered suspect. Hey, I'm not nonobjective--I don't see my Horns doing anything special, either.

footballfanatic
4/20/2006, 08:53 PM
footballfanatic, are you a Lester fan??? The Big XII is one of the toughest conferences out there next to the SEC and Big 10. IMO, OU will be Dancing in Arizona this year on the foeld of the Fiesta Bowl after they win the NC game...We are tough on D and will be extremely dangerous on O with new wrinkles in the passing game....keep your eyes closed if you must, they will be opened in early January....

Sorry, I honestly don't know who Lester is. The Big XII one of the toughest conferences? Compared to what, Texas and Oklahoma 5A football? While we did okay in the bowls, we aren't terribly formidable. Few teams have experienced QB's, recent powers like Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas State are struggling (and that's being charitable in the case of CU), and even the recent dominating schools like UT and OU are rebuilding. While no conference is truly dominant, we aren't what we used to be. New wrinkles in the passing game are great, but I have yet to see one preseason article raving about the OU receivers.

Collier11
4/20/2006, 08:57 PM
USC is possibly even better, if that's possible. They are so deep, it's almost unfair.
Both of last year's backup qb's are back--both would have started for almost any other school (excluding, of course, my beloved Horns--though this year I'd take them in a heartbeat) I don't think Bomar is bad--just not great, at least yet. The real concern of you is continuing troubles in the line. Any team's success begins in the line--without a great one, you can't win the whole enchalada.

So is the line the reason we beat you 5 straight years or was it just that chrissy and vince were handing the ball to us left and right??

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
4/20/2006, 09:27 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't see how they can be better after they lost their starting backfield, 2 of which are projected to go at least in the top-10 if not top-5. If nothing else, the season OU last year proved that with an inexperienced QB a team has reason to worry.
Texas had better worry too. Texas was one player away from being 2001 OU. A team with a great D, but an offense that made you want to change the channel everytime they got the ball. This year's Texas team without VY=Baylor:D
Is it to early to give the horns a hard time? I think notHook 'em

yermom
4/20/2006, 10:05 PM
I've only heard that Adrian Peterson was seen buying a Lexus at the dealership. I'm not saying he got the money from boosters and I know Adrian isn't poor but he's not rich. And he's certainly not rich enough to buy a Lexus.

that's what this whole story is about, he couldn't afford it, so he gave it back

BASSooner
4/20/2006, 11:20 PM
after losing 2-3 guys who will go 1st round to the NFL draft(Leinhart, Bush, White), their entire 3-4/5s of their offensive line, dominique byrd, their fullback, bing, and half of their defensive line, do you honestly think these guys will be better?

Collier11
4/21/2006, 12:01 AM
Ya, whoever is STILL negging me(1st grow up and get over yourself), obviously this is a big deal or so many people wouldnt have weighed in on the topic. If you want to keep negging me every damn day I really dont care one bit about spek points so if it makes you feel better about yourself continue, I realize some people have low self esteem and need to feel like they are asserting power over people to feel better about themselves so do as you wish :chicken: -sh*t

footballfanatic
4/21/2006, 06:51 AM
So is the line the reason we beat you 5 straight years or was it just that chrissy and vince were handing the ball to us left and right??

It's without a doubt the most important reason. Whomever has the dominating line will win a football game at any level 90% of the time.

footballfanatic
4/21/2006, 06:53 AM
after losing 2-3 guys who will go 1st round to the NFL draft(Leinhart, Bush, White), their entire 3-4/5s of their offensive line, dominique byrd, their fullback, bing, and half of their defensive line, do you honestly think these guys will be better?

I may have overstated how good USC will be. They may be a year away, but trust me, there are dominating backs, and strong players at every position.

footballfanatic
4/21/2006, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how they can be better after they lost their starting backfield, 2 of which are projected to go at least in the top-10 if not top-5. If nothing else, the season OU last year proved that with an inexperienced QB a team has reason to worry.
Texas had better worry too. Texas was one player away from being 2001 OU. A team with a great D, but an offense that made you want to change the channel everytime they got the ball. This year's Texas team without VY=Baylor:D
Is it to early to give the horns a hard time? I think notHook 'em

Like I said, Texas won't go be very good either. But Peterson won't see the NC game again in his career, at least from the field.

BASSooner
4/21/2006, 09:13 AM
Oh he'll be at the tite game in 2007. There's no question about that. We'll be to OUr fullest by then. That's why the canes are on OUr schedule that year.

planosooner
4/21/2006, 04:20 PM
Like I said, Texas won't go be very good either. But Peterson won't see the NC game again in his career, at least from the field.

Texas won't be good this year? Maybe not NC caliber, but still a very tough team defensively with lots of talent on offense. All depends on if whichever of the two QB's sh!ts the bed in October or against Ohio St. Chizik will keep them in the game. Man I wish it would start again tomorrow. I cant wait through all of this hot summer and baseball garbage.

Herr Scholz
4/21/2006, 05:01 PM
This year's Texas team without VY=Baylor:D
So, you're conceding a loss in the RRS game then? I figure a neutral field should give us at least 3 points over a double overtime game in Norman.

1stTimeCaller
4/21/2006, 05:04 PM
we already played Baylor this year?

who knew?

Herr Scholz
4/21/2006, 05:09 PM
we already played Baylor this year?

who knew?
No, but you guys have to go to the dreaded WACO this year. ;) Bears cover.

1stTimeCaller
4/21/2006, 05:10 PM
rut roh!!!! ;)