PDA

View Full Version : Java-based apps, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

Veritas
4/18/2006, 11:08 AM
1) Incessant memory leaks, despite oh so craptastic garbage collection.
2) Ridiculous load times. If I wanted to wait 30 seconds for a program to fire up, I'd get a Gateway with Windows ME and load the Studio on it.
3) Kludgy filefolder trees. Just emulate .NET and be done with it.
4) Annoying fonts and general look and feel. Again. Just look like a regular damn Windows app. I hate having to retrain my mind to use interfaces.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/18/2006, 11:21 AM
I had a client that insisted on one of those java apps that mimics waves and such. After about 30 seconds of that thing running in your browser window, the 'incredibly loud, but it doesn't matter because the temperature is getting really high' fan came on inside my computer.

While I was testing I always turned it off because it was making the load times, like you said, at least 15-20 seconds on each refresh.

yermom
4/18/2006, 11:44 AM
slow to load is annoying, sure

what really kills me is how they never work well across platforms or browsers (isn't that supposed to be the upside?)

DOWN WITH JAVA!

thenotman
4/18/2006, 11:46 AM
101 Reasons Java is better than .NET (http://www.manageability.org/manageabilityWiki/WhyJavaIsBetterThanDotNet)

yermom
4/18/2006, 11:52 AM
if we are talking Java as middleware or whatever, fine, just keep it off the client machine

i'm no .NET advocate either, btw... i don't know much about it though

JohnnyMack
4/18/2006, 11:56 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/69/1362/320/ogre.jpg

Veritas
4/18/2006, 12:02 PM
101 Reasons Java is better than .NET (http://www.manageability.org/manageabilityWiki/WhyJavaIsBetterThanDotNet)
Despite the way my post may sound, I'm not Microsoftie.

The simple fact is, I don't give a **** about what OS, what chipmaker, what language, what webserver, what IDE, etc. I just want stuff to work.

So correspondingly, I don't give a **** about lists of "101 Reason Why My Platform of Choice is Better Than Yours." If your platform of choice does the job better/faster than mine, I'll happily poopcan mine and use yours. But if your platform of choice sucks, I'm not going to use it. I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to use anything purely on principle.

thenotman
4/18/2006, 12:06 PM
HEH!

Hell I dont know anything about either :)

Veritas
4/18/2006, 12:09 PM
Oh, and FWIW, the ranty tone of my most recent post isn't really aimed at you, notman, I'm just annoyed with nerds that carry a torch for some platform merely because they a) are in love with it, b) hate the counterpart, c) some combination of both.

I've had to do quite a bit of personnel management lately and the "devotion to the cause" mentality makes me want to shoot myself in the face. :D

Partial Qualifier
4/18/2006, 12:38 PM
slow to load is annoying, sure

what really kills me is how they never work well across platforms or browsers (isn't that supposed to be the upside?)

DOWN WITH JAVA!

IN.

not from a developer's perspective but we have two Java-based, weblogic-hosted apps (pplsoft & agile) which were converts from the MS API, client piece on the end-user, etc.

While it is nice to have a web-based client & avoid client upgrades, etc. we often have to upgrade the desktop's JRE ... doh

It hardly makes up for the flakiness and comparatively low performance of the Java-based version. And as time goes on, it's obvious there's a layer of uncertainty or miscommunication between the original developers and the guys paid to support/modify the app through it's lifetime. I asked a consultant from Agile why the switch and he told me it's because "Java programmers are cheap and abundant" I read: India. Neat.

colleyvillesooner
4/18/2006, 05:18 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/69/1362/320/ogre.jpg

Okay good. I meant to do something along these lines earlier, but got distracted. Good to see it was covered. :D

Ike
4/18/2006, 05:27 PM
Oh, and FWIW, the ranty tone of my most recent post isn't really aimed at you, notman, I'm just annoyed with nerds that carry a torch for some platform merely because they a) are in love with it, b) hate the counterpart, c) some combination of both.

I've had to do quite a bit of personnel management lately and the "devotion to the cause" mentality makes me want to shoot myself in the face. :D

If I can't do it in python, it ain't worth doing. ;)

well, not really...I'll just find something else that does it.

skycat
4/18/2006, 05:31 PM

I'd stay away from collegiate sports and related websites.

;)