PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Bowl

SouthernSooner
4/18/2006, 09:23 AM
Has anyone heard any new news on the Cotton Bowl contract for the RRS? I live in ATL and don't get much news from home anymomre.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/18/2006, 09:25 AM
Yes, they have not made any contracts as of yet. Someone (not saying who) wins a MNC and all of a sudden they are too good for the cotton bowl

mrowl
4/18/2006, 09:39 AM
the Anarchists of Dallas have not moved any further on the cotton bowl renovation proposals because they have to save $40M to construct an f'ing homeless shelter. And because they owe $1 Billion to their employees in backpay

TexasLidig8r
4/18/2006, 09:42 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mrowl
4/18/2006, 10:06 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

can we get together a class action suit against the city for stupidity? And the settlement will be a do-over on the last 15 years?

spaceman
4/18/2006, 10:57 PM
can we get together a class action suit against the city for stupidity? And the settlement will be a do-over on the last 15 years?
It would be stupid to waste taxpayer money on that dump. Especially since Jerry is building a brand new state of the art stadium. Just move it over to Jerry's world. After the first year, people will forget about that dump in Dallas.

badger
4/18/2006, 11:17 PM
and... thus ends the state fair of you-know-where.

TrueSooner
4/20/2006, 07:48 AM
Texas holdout
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
4/20/2006

Longhorns mum on staying in Cotton Bowl
The silence coming out of Austin, Texas, is deafening. It sends a loud and clear message that the long-term future of the Oklahoma-Texas football game remaining in Dallas is in serious trouble.

This is a case where no news is horrible news to those who understand and love it that the Red River Shootout is one of this country's most unique sporting events.

The Cotton Bowl is split right down the middle on the second Saturday in October. Half filled with burnt-orange Longhorns' fans, the other half with red-clad OU supporters, while the Texas State Fair rages outside the stadium's west side.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds' steadfast refusal to commit to keeping the game in Big D past its current contract is an ominous sign to those who have closely monitored the situation.

The current contract runs through the 2008 season. There is an escape clause to leave after the 2007 game, which would be the 78th consecutive year at the Cotton Bowl.

The issue of the game's future was supposed to be settled in January, when OU officials confirmed they wanted to continue the storied tradition instead of going to a home-and-home series.

Dodds said in December

that he needed 30 days to get a report from engineers on the condition of the venerable stadium. Dallas officials said they will make massive renovations to the Cotton Bowl if both schools sign a long-term contract.

More than four months after Dodds said he needed a month to reach a decision, the Texas AD remains noncommittal.

"We made our statement in January," Sooner AD Joe Castiglione said. "It's really now just Texas figuring out what it wants to do."

Dodds was unavailable for comment Wednesday. But UT senior AD for communications Nick Voinis, who said he discussed the OU-Texas game at length with Dodds on Tuesday, said, "We're in no hurry."

No kidding? The longer the Longhorns drag their hoofs, the steeper the odds become of keeping the game in Dallas. UT's reluctance to commit in January along with OU means Dallas won't have time before the 2006 game to start the $50 million in expansion and renovations officials promised if both schools agreed not to move the game to Norman and Austin.

It's a classic Catch-22 situation: Dallas won't upgrade the Cotton Bowl until it has a long-term contract. And Texas, at least superficially, said it won't commit because it's not certain if the proposed improvements are satisfactory.

"We don't want to move the game," Voinis said. "But a few years back, it was promised that a new stadium was going to be built downtown or at the Cotton Bowl (site).

"If that were true, you and I wouldn't be having this conversation."

The city of Dallas decided not to join the Dallas Cowboys in demolishing the Cotton Bowl and using the land to build a new stadium for the NFL franchise. The Cowboys will move instead to Arlington, where voters approved a tax increase to help build a $650 stadium.

Dodds is already on the record as saying UT won't agree to move the game to the Cowboys' new facility.

"Dallas missed the opportunity to put the new Cowboys stadium out at the state fairgrounds," Dodds told the Dallas Morning News in January. "That was a disappointment to us because we were prepared to be there for the next 20 years or more with the new stadium there. It's (staying or going) going to be a hard decision, not one we want to make, but one we have to make."

Does that sound like someone who wants the game to stay put?

Heck, no. It sounds more like an AD who has found the perfect out to get the heck out of town.

If the tradition, started in 1929, dies after the current contract, look for UT to use several reasons why they killed it. Some include playing OU every other year in Austin, giving thousands of UT fans a chance to see a game they can't see in Dallas because of limited ticket supply. And UT will state that another home game every other season will help pay for planned renovations to Royal-Memorial Stadium's west and north sides.

Here's what I think and know from excellent sources: Both teams can make more money staying in Dallas than taking the game home-and-home. Of course, that could change if the ticket prices are jacked up in a home-and-home series, which I guarantee you would happen.

And what I think is that this issue has created a gut-check for UT, and the Longhorns have found themselves lacking in intestinal fortitude. They are sick of the huge amount of free media publicity OU receives every October in the Metroplex, which helps the Sooners recruit blue-chip prospects throughout the Lone Star State.

I imagine the emotions created by losing five straight games to OU, before snapping the streak last season, also helped convince UT to get the heck out of Dodge (or Dallas) as soon as possible.

OU could maintain a presence by playing a big-name nonconference foe in the Metroplex. The Sooners have games scheduled with Notre Dame, Miami, Tennessee and Florida State.

The only reason I think Dodds hasn't already confirmed that the Longhorns are taking their football and going home, is that he's assessing the political fallout. OU put itself in the good-guy role and UT in a difficult spot by recognizing that most fans want the tradition-rich game to remain in Dallas.

"I don't think we are the bad guys," Voinis said. "And I don't care where you play it; it's going to be a great game."

You think that sounds like the Longhorns are staying in Dallas? If you do, you haven't been listening to the other sounds . . . the sounds of silence coming out of Austin..

soonerhubs
4/20/2006, 10:14 AM
The sound of a bunch of chicken-**** Whorns screwing up tradition.

BoomerJack
4/20/2006, 10:56 AM
I don't remember hearing that the City of Dallas opted out of building a new stadium at the Fair Grounds for Jerry's Kids. I know folks in the Metroplex have mixed feelings about Jerry but a new stadium or a total, inside out renovation of the old Cotton Bowl with the Cowboys being the main tenant would have been the best way to go. I think it would benefitted the City of Dallas immensely.

But that shipped has sailed and all that's left is what seems to be to put a very large band-aid on the Cotton Bowl. IMHO, the series isn't staying in the Cotton Bowl and it probably isn't gonna stay in the DFW area. It'll be home & home after the current contract expires.

mrowl
4/20/2006, 11:14 AM
I don't remember hearing that the City of Dallas opted out of building a new stadium at the Fair Grounds for Jerry's Kids. I know folks in the Metroplex have mixed feelings about Jerry but a new stadium or a total, inside out renovation of the old Cotton Bowl with the Cowboys being the main tenant would have been the best way to go. I think it would benefitted the City of Dallas immensely.

yes, the city, and the county said: "no way ho-say, we have to save money for a $40M homeless center"

MikeInNorman
4/20/2006, 11:29 AM
Never, never, never, never will the OU/:texan: game be in Jerry's house. It doesn't seat nearly enough, it's in the epicenter of remote, soul-less urban sprawl, and all pre and post game would be in a freaking parking lot.

Okay, Dodds and Joe C don't care the tiniest little bit about reasons 2 and 3. But they both care about #1, which is dollar bills, y'all.

This will be a home and home, not a new site in Dallas.

mrowl
4/20/2006, 11:33 AM
Never, never, never, never will the OU/:texan: game be in Jerry's house. It doesn't seat nearly enough, it's in the epicenter of remote, soul-less urban sprawl, and all pre and post game would be in a freaking parking lot.

Okay, Dodds and Joe C don't care the tiniest little bit about reasons 2 and 3. But they both care about #1, which is dollar bills, y'all.

This will be a home and home, not a new site in Dallas.

jerry world is going to seat and have standing room up to 92,000 with 500 luxury suites. Thats a damn good reason to have the game there.

Arlington isn't really a "suburb"

soonervegas
4/20/2006, 12:38 PM
Texas, Texas, Texas..........cutting of its nose to spite its face.

Texas fans are going to be po'd......I mean PO'D when OU is having annual games (in Jerry World) against the likes of:

Tennessee
LSU
Arkansas
Bama
etc, etc.

They are not going to limit OU's recruting ability.....they are going to enhance the SEC ability in the state of Texas.

toast
4/20/2006, 12:41 PM
"They are sick of the huge amount of free media publicity OU receives every October in the Metroplex, which helps the Sooners recruit blue-chip prospects throughout the Lone Star State."

Great point Dave, without all of the free publicity OU receives ut would have 3,589 verbal commitments for their 2007 recruiting class and not just the 18 they already have. What a maroon. :rolleyes:

TheBigRedMachine
4/20/2006, 12:46 PM
The Cowboys will move instead to Arlington, where voters approved a tax increase to help build a $650 stadium.

That must be a hell of a stadium! :P

mOUse
4/20/2006, 12:54 PM
From Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/DN-cotton_20edi.ART.State.Edition1.90f18c4.htmlHow to Keep Texas-OU: Nothing says love like a well-placed donation

09:20 AM CST on Monday, February 20, 2006

Money talks. And the city of Dallas, for a change, has said all it needs to say.
It's time to let professionals handle this. We may not always like it, but this is the way big, important things often get done.
The Dallas City Council has done its part. That's agree to put $50 million in its next bond package to spruce up the Cotton Bowl enough to satisfy the universities of Texas and Oklahoma so they keep their annual football blood feud in Dallas.
No denying the economic impact. Hotels, restaurants and (especially) bars live for the annual boost. Those tens of thousands in burnt orange or crimson probably grab a tank of gas, a Slim Jim and a Dr Pepper for the ride home, too.
Texas-OU is big. So let the big boys from the State Fair of Texas handle it.
We know $50 million is a lot to keep one game, but we can swallow the cost if – and only if – Texas and OU commit long term. That means at least 12 years, starting with the 2008 game.
Supposed hurt feelings by some council members that Mayor Laura Miller isn't keeping them in the loop matter not. She may be the city's face on this, but her influence is limited to assuring all parties that there's $50 million at the end of the rainbow. Internal discord only reinforces the notion that Dallas is a lousy place to do business and makes the real negotiators' job that much harder.
And no offense to Oklahoma, Grambling, Prairie View, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and/or Oklahoma State, but they are the stick, cornmeal batter and mustard on this corny dog.
The weenie is the University of Texas. No meat, no meal.
If you want to influence UT to re-up in Dallas, your next call should be to William Powers Jr. He has been university president for less than a month, but we suspect he'd listen to well-placed alumni.
Tell him about that spare million or two you have gathering dust; you can be sure the deep pockets who want the game played in Austin and Norman are doing the same.
Stress history, tradition and, most of all, that spare million or two. The clock is ticking. The city wants a November bond vote, and there's no reason to put the Cotton Bowl on the ballot without a headline act.

soonervegas
4/20/2006, 01:15 PM
"And no offense to Oklahoma, Grambling, Prairie View, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and/or Oklahoma State, but they are the stick, cornmeal batter and mustard on this corny dog.
The weenie is the University of Texas. No meat, no meal."

Nothing like some standard Texas arrogance. I always knew OU has just sucking at the power teat of the Universtiy of Texas. Must be why we have that 7 to 4 NC lead.

How I can't wait to prove them wrong if they F this up....

BoomerJack
4/20/2006, 01:40 PM
Like it or not, IMO, the ball is now in UT's court. If the big cigars there decide they want their team to play OU in the Cotton Bowl, they will tell Dodds to come to the table and renew the contract. Fans, alumni, sportwriters, students or posters on this site or Hornfans aren't gonna count.

BoomerJack
4/20/2006, 01:42 PM
By the way; what is the sentiment about this in the UT community?? Can AustinTxHorn and the TxLidigator(?) shed some light on this??

toast
4/20/2006, 01:49 PM
"The weenie is the University of Texas. "

Nothing like some standard Texas arrogance. I always knew OU has just sucking at the power teat of the Universtiy of Texas. Must be why we have that 7 to 4 NC lead.

How I can't wait to prove them wrong if they F this up....

Well, he was right on that part.

TexasLidig8r
4/20/2006, 01:55 PM
All Texas fans that I know, friends, casual acquiantances, whoever, are STRONGLY for leaving the game at the Cotton Bowl. Well-healed alums to the newest grads favor leaving the game in Dallas.

Granted, some of the youngest, or the kids in school would prefer to see it go home and home to increase the likelihood of them seeing the Texas - OU game.. but those types don't seem to grasp the overall weekend experience that is the game.

For what little it's worth.. I have written Dodds.. and he actually responded. and not in a form letter.

The "presence of OU" to help recruiting in Texas is a red herring. With practically all games being televised now, and with Norman being a 3 hour trip from the Metroplex, yes, granted, the game does give OU a one weekend a year presence in the Metroplex, but with your tradition and history, you will get great players from Texas regardless.

There's a big, behind the scenes push from guys like me.. who give enough money to the school but not tens or hundreds of thousands every year, to find a way to keep the game in Dallas.

But, with the incompetence of Dallas City Hall, with the complete lack of respect in the corporate community that the esteemed mayor and the other lackeys on the City Council have... it looks increasingly like the game, the tradition.. is gone.

And, with all the good that Dodds has done.. losing one of the last, great traditions in all of college football may become his lasting legacy.. moreso than the black ink the UT athletic department has.. moreso than the stadium expansion.

soonervegas
4/20/2006, 01:57 PM
Why is UT so anti-Jerry World? That seems like the best plan B.

toast
4/20/2006, 02:07 PM
... it looks increasingly like the game, the tradition.. is gone.

Lid,

What would be your current guess at the chances the game will not be in Dallas after '07? 50/50? 60/40?

Hopefully, ut is just using the stick they currently have and everything will work out in the end.

BoomerJack
4/20/2006, 02:11 PM
Why is UT so anti-Jerry World? That seems like the best plan B.

I believe that from Dodds' POV, making the game home & home will enable his Ath. Dept. to generate more revenue to pay for the recent expansions and/or upgrades made to their football stadium.

I don't know what is being charged per seat for regular season games at UT but you watch. The ticket price for the first game against OU in Austin will carry a heavy premium vis-a-vis prices for other games. And, the times being what they are, the same thing is gonna happen in Norman when UT comes to town.

Dallas, its mayor, the State Fair, all have some responsibility for this situation but, to a large degree, this is an inexorable trend. A.D.'s have to generate the big bucks to pay for their new facilities, pay their high priced coaches and keep their big cigar alums and donors happy in their luxury boxes and suites. It's almost like a nuclear arms race.

TexasLidig8r
4/20/2006, 02:47 PM
Lid,

What would be your current guess at the chances the game will not be in Dallas after '07? 50/50? 60/40?

Hopefully, ut is just using the stick they currently have and everything will work out in the end.

Perhaps.. 80% chance it's gone. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: