PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Mountain Bike

Taxman71
4/18/2006, 06:56 AM
Alright, I am buying a mountain bike for the first time since I was 12. I pretty much know the model, size, etc. from numerous visits to bike shops and the internets (Trek, Raleigh). My question: do bike shops "deal" on their prices? Just wondering if I can't bargain a 20 spot here or there.

And, please do not forward this to bikerfox.

OUAndy1807
4/18/2006, 07:24 AM
it's been my experience that they can figure out ways to get the price down (closeouts from last year, demo models, etc...), but that if you want something specifically, you're not going to get them down too much lower than the price marked. The internet has really made the bike shops more competitive with their pricing on new bikes.

That being said, I would go to several bike shops. If they try to sell you something without fitting you or asking you a lot of questions about your riding style (or what kind of riding you're interested in) leave and find a better shop. Now that the internet has taken all of the margin out of bikes and accessories, the biggest differentiater is service. Find a shop that you're comfortable with, buy the bike from them, even if they're not the lowest (without grossly overpaying) and you'll have a much better experience when you have to deal with them for service in the future.

SoonerWood
4/18/2006, 08:28 AM
You can do some wheeling and dealing on some upgrades when you buy the bike. Upgraded brakes, shocks, wheels, etc. If they can sell you a bike and not lose money on a few extras, I'm sure they'll save you some money there.

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 08:48 AM
I bought my bike from Andy (thanks again andy!) so I don't know about dealing with that. But I have been able to get a few bucks knocked off here and there on accessories (pedals, cleats, etc) if you mention you have been "researching online but would rather buy locally".

Taxman71
4/18/2006, 08:55 AM
I would prefer to make my purchase from one of the shops in Norman so it will be easy to go back for adjustments, etc. The prices in the shops are obviously lower than MSRP from the manufacturer's website, but I haven't priced them in OKC to compare. I may do that this weekend so I have some ammo when I go to make the purchase. Thanks to all.

The sad part is I am currently so far out of the loop that I don't even know what upgrades are worthwhile. This from a guy who had a Kuwahara and Redline as a kid and used to ride to the bike shop every day.

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 09:05 AM
I'm looking to buy a new saddle. a GIRL saddle. anybody have any recommendations????

(this should be good)

OUAndy1807
4/18/2006, 09:06 AM
Buchanan Bikes is your friend.

Taxman71
4/18/2006, 09:21 AM
Never been there. I will give it a shot.

Oldnslo
4/18/2006, 01:47 PM
A couple of things. First, there's not much margin on bikes, so unless it's last year's model, don't expect that to be where a deal is made. However, accessories are fair game. T-Town Bicycles usually gives purchasers 15% off accessories for a year.

Second, junk saver saddles are wonderful for both boys and girls. They were actually invented for the ladies, and men later enjoyed the benefits. TD2K, try either Specialized's Body Geometry saddles or Terry's Butterfly saddles.

You're welcome.

n8v_ndn
4/18/2006, 02:21 PM
That being said, I would go to several bike shops. If they try to sell you something without fitting you or asking you a lot of questions about your riding style (or what kind of riding you're interested in) leave and find a better shop. Now that the internet has taken all of the margin out of bikes and accessories, the biggest differentiater is service. Find a shop that you're comfortable with, buy the bike from them, even if they're not the lowest (without grossly overpaying) and you'll have a much better experience when you have to deal with them for service in the future.

Went through that last weekend :D The advancements in MTBs are incredible. My GT Aggressor--with it's grip shift & caliper brakes--couldn't handle the clay & hills like I hoped.

A shop here had a Jamis Dakar XC Comp ('05) reduced. I felt like it was steal for such a lightweight full suspension bike w/ quality components.

I can't say enough about disk brakes & lightweight, strong frames :)

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 02:28 PM
Second, junk saver saddles are wonderful for both boys and girls. They were actually invented for the ladies, and men later enjoyed the benefits. TD2K, try either Specialized's Body Geometry saddles or Terry's Butterfly saddles.

You're welcome.

I've heard of the Butterfly one. I'll check out the others too. Thanks!

Howzit
4/18/2006, 02:35 PM
There needs to be a women's Venus Butterfly saddle. Just because.

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 02:36 PM
There needs to be a women's Venus Butterfly saddle. Just because.

with wings.

Howzit
4/18/2006, 02:40 PM
Mmmm, wings.

Taxman71
4/26/2006, 02:39 PM
Alright, I have narrowed it down to the Trek 4300 and the Hardrock Specialized Sport. Virtually same price. One is at Al's and the other at Buchanan's Bikes. Anyone have a preference between these?

Jimminy Crimson
4/26/2006, 03:07 PM
Alright, I have narrowed it down to the Trek 4300 and the Hardrock Specialized Sport. Virtually same price. One is at Al's and the other at Buchanan's Bikes. Anyone have a preference between these?

They're both decent outfits.

I've usually bought my bikes from Al's, ever since I was a kid.

BigRedJed
4/26/2006, 04:16 PM
I bought a couple of Univega comfort bikes from Al's and felt like I got pretty good service.

IronSooner
4/26/2006, 04:25 PM
I got my last two from the Bicycle Store on 122nd back when it was on Penn. Always got good service from them and they had a pretty decent selection. Both of those were Giants though.

BeetDigger
4/26/2006, 04:41 PM
with wings.

No, batteries and a fully variable speed control. The bike trails would be full of women with smiles on their faces.

BigRedJed
4/26/2006, 04:44 PM
I got my last two from the Bicycle Store on 122nd back when it was on Penn. Always got good service from them and they had a pretty decent selection. Both of those were Giants though.
I bought a Giant hybrid there a few months ago and felt the same way. Funny that I have a couple of nice bikes, and I never ride them. One is more or less art in my office, one in my living room.

Oldnslo
4/26/2006, 04:46 PM
If one is more comfortable, that is, fits better, buy it.

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 04:47 PM
I bought a Giant hybrid there a few months ago and felt the same way. Funny that I have a couple of nice bikes, and I never ride them. One is more or less art in my office, one in my living room.

Sounds like you and Taxman need to get together and work out a deal.

IronSooner
4/26/2006, 04:52 PM

You could always go back to college. ;)

TopDaugIn2000
4/26/2006, 07:32 PM
Ordered a Terry's Butterfly saddle. Can't WAIT to try it out!

Scott D
4/26/2006, 07:37 PM

I bet you can't..pervert ;)

TopDaugIn2000
4/26/2006, 07:37 PM
:mad:

olevetonahill
4/26/2006, 07:38 PM
I'm looking to buy a new saddle. a GIRL saddle. anybody have any recommendations????

(this should be good)
You find a HAWT one see if we can make a deal for 2 ,one for you one for me ;)

Al Gore
4/26/2006, 07:56 PM
I bought a Giant hybrid there a few months ago and felt the same way. Funny that I have a couple of nice bikes, and I never ride them. One is more or less art in my office, one in my living room.What's the going price?????

Oldnslo
4/26/2006, 09:52 PM
Can I have your old one?

Scott D
4/27/2006, 08:42 AM
:mad:

:P :cool: :D

TopDaugIn2000
4/27/2006, 07:08 PM
Can I have your old one?

it's just the standard bianchi saddle, nothing special. figure I'll keep it to put back on the bike should I ever decide to sell.