PDA

View Full Version : So am I done?

ChickSoonerFan
4/17/2006, 10:22 PM
I THINK I am done with my taxes....honestly I am confused.

I completed mine and at the VERY end, it said to file electronically you had to have your 2004 adjusted income...I can't find my 2004 copy between now and midnight...so then I skipped (I think) that part then it said completed? Oh well...they owe me money so I guess they won't be too upset if I get it in tomorrow.

I am still confused. It said I would get an email in a day or two.

Anyway...I am done as far as I am concerned...with an hour and a half to spare.

:D

I need a drink.

Tailwind
4/17/2006, 10:46 PM
which e-service did you use? I followed Norm's advice about taxslayer.com and did my son's and then his friend's........if you don't have the 2004 thing, they just use your birthdate. They both get back more than I did.....but I am getting gratuities from both of them. :D

Stanley1
4/17/2006, 10:47 PM
Chick, I don't think you are done yet. If you didn't find your '04 AGI, you didn't efile. The other option is to just print it off and mail it, in which case you are gonna be late.

mrssoonerhubler
4/18/2006, 12:09 AM
Wow....mine is already in back and spent two months ago....My sister the accountant always gets hers in at the last minute too...last year she was late...no worries.

Norm In Norman
4/18/2006, 07:31 AM
I think you have the choice of either using your AGI from last year then entering a pin number to electonically sign it or sending in a signed piece of paper to the irs/state. They may not send the refund without the signature.

It's probably a good idea for you to keep your previous year's tax information.

Mjcpr
4/18/2006, 07:34 AM
Dear People,

Next year's tax filing deadline will be approximately April 15th!

You're Welcome!

IB4OU2
4/18/2006, 07:48 AM
Question is?......Why didn't Stan do this for you weeks ago?

MamaMia
4/18/2006, 08:22 AM
I had to pay. I'm poor again. :(

Osce0la
4/18/2006, 08:33 AM
Mine was back and spent before mid-March...Having a baby really looks good when the tax refunds get here ;)

Hamhock
4/18/2006, 08:42 AM
Dear People,

Next year's tax filing deadline will be approximately April 15th!

You're Welcome!

I just wish they would fix a date for Christmas so people could prepare ahead of time.

ChickSoonerFan
4/18/2006, 09:03 AM
Wow....mine is already in back and spent two months ago....My sister the accountant always gets hers in at the last minute too...last year she was late...no worries.

As long as you owe, I think they are OK with it being a little late. Years ago I went to the IRS to file an extension and they told me that it wasn't necessary really as long as I was due a refund.

I do keep my taxes, I just couldn't find 2005 last night...found 98-2004 though.

Stan did offer to help last time I went to visit, I left my stuff at home.

I am printing and mailing them today...it would not accept my e-file. :eek:

Mjcpr
4/18/2006, 09:06 AM
I do keep my taxes, I just couldn't find 2005 last night...found 98-2004 though.

2004 is what you were looking for.

Stanley1
4/18/2006, 09:11 AM
2004 is what you were looking for.

She knows, she mistyped it. I talked with her last night and she had through 2003, but couldn't find 2004.

ChickSoonerFan
4/18/2006, 09:12 AM
Oh yeah...that is what I meant. :O

Thanks.

Hamhock
4/18/2006, 09:16 AM
As long as you owe, I think they are OK with it being a little late. Years ago I went to the IRS to file an extension and they told me that it wasn't necessary really as long as I was due a refund.

Stan did offer to help last time I went to visit, I left my stuff at home.

I am printing and mailing them today...it would not accept my e-file. :eek:

As long as you DON'T owe they are ok with it being a little late. Late filing penalties are based on tax due, so there are none if you are due a refund.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2006, 09:20 AM
Why do they keep moving around the date when taxes are due? :bsmf:

This is so irritating. :mad:

crawfish
4/18/2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/Steve_Martin_Biography_2.jpg
Two words:

I......FORGOT.

Tear Down This Wall
4/18/2006, 09:25 AM
Dudes, this was a good tax season. Mucho refundo! Next year will be even better because of the health care pesos we've paid out to have this new kid. It hurt writing the checks in February, but next year the reimbursements and new deduction will be the perfect elixir!

Wee-hee! Taxes are fun!

Okla-homey
4/18/2006, 09:30 AM
Dudes, this was a good tax season. Mucho refundo! Next year will be even better because of the health care pesos we've paid out to have this new kid. It hurt writing the checks in February, but next year the reimbursements and new deduction will be the perfect elixir!

Wee-hee! Taxes are fun!

Refunds? pffttt. Why do you love loaning the gubmint money and giving them a pass on paying you interest?

Stanley1
4/18/2006, 09:37 AM
Refunds? pffttt. Why do you love loaning the gubmint money and giving them a pass on paying you interest?

I really think that is a rediculous way of looking at things.

Hamhock
4/18/2006, 09:48 AM

Ideally, come April 15, you want to owe the gubm't as much as possible, without incurring underpayment penalties. I stop withholding when i reach last year's liability safe-harbor, then put the money in savings for when the taxes are due.

Hamhock
4/18/2006, 09:49 AM

Wee-hee! Taxes are fun!

Don't forget that medical expenses are only deductible to the extent they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. IOW, if your AGI is $100,000 and you pay $7,000 of medical bills you get nuttin'. If you pay $8,000 of medical bills, you get to deduct $500.

Scott D
4/18/2006, 04:44 PM
Chick, I don't think you are done yet. If you didn't find your '04 AGI, you didn't efile. The other option is to just print it off and mail it, in which case you are gonna be late.

If you don't find the '04 AGI (which I didn't) you can efile, you just have to print out a 4868 within 2 days of the IRS accepting it to sign and mail in.

More importantly Chick, why are you dating an accountant and not making him do your taxes for some extra freaky lovin?

Okla-homey
4/18/2006, 04:46 PM
I really think that is a rediculous way of looking at things.

and that is why Stanley will always be a working stiff.;)

IB4OU2
4/18/2006, 05:00 PM

and Stan get's nervous when your'e late........:eek:

Stanley1
4/18/2006, 05:06 PM
and that is why Stanley will always be a working stiff.;)

I'm just sayin. Most people are getting relatively small refunds (a few thousand maybe, tops). First of all, they'd probably spend it. If not, it might just be sitting in a checking account not drawing interest. And even if they did "invest" it, you aren't getting much on that small of an amount.

I've just never really understood the reasoning. Like someone mentioned above, if you are talking ideal situations, it is to owe the government as much as possible (without incurring penalties), invest that amount, and pay them on the 15th. Right?

skycat
4/18/2006, 05:24 PM
Follow this recipe for tax fun.

Get married. Preferably your signifigant other should have depreciable assets. Also it helps if a houses were bought and sold. Try to have capital gains in a few different asset classes, all for the first time. Add a dash of "creative record keeping." And finally, make sure that your significant other's former "accountant" is your new mother in law.

Good times follow.

BeetDigger
4/18/2006, 05:40 PM
http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/Steve_Martin_Biography_2.jpg
Two words:

I......FORGOT.

You FORGOT to do your taxes?

Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE