PDA

View Full Version : Now That Easter Is Behind Us

VeeJay
4/17/2006, 01:14 PM
I've always considered myself a Christian. Born and raised a Southern Baptist, and pulled all the typical drinkin' and hell raisin' that good Southern Baptists do periodically. When I use the phrase, "as nervous as a Baptist in a liquor store" I can relate. Those are my people.

Now, there's a certain in-law of mine who, at numerous times yesterday exclamed "He is risen!" Like the first time I saw said in-law, and said "Happy Easter" - just being nice and all. "He is risen!" was the greeting I got. Then, at a separate gathering, after the food was blessed, again "He is risen!" to close out the prayer.

This in-law kept on and was badgering someone about - well... their lack of participation in the festive moment, I suppose...and someone else said "OK, no more Biblical pop quizzes, please." By this time, everyone just wanted to eat. I just wanted to go home.

This in-law also has been known to make statements such as "The Jews are all going to hell because they don't believe in Jesus." As, in, telling her granddaughter, a 15 year old with a Jewish father, that well...she's going to hell.

I don't berudge anyone for what they believe. I do get a little uncomfortable where the conversation with one person always, without a doubt, ends up with discussions of prophecy or biblical passages.

And I have reservations about someone telling their own grandchild that they are going to hell because their religious beliefs differ.

That is all.

Partial Qualifier
4/17/2006, 01:28 PM
people like that kill me. And 99 times out of 100, they don't really know the Bible like they'd have you believe. It doesn't take much sense to know you probably shouldn't go where he went with the "Jews going to hell" thing, to a 15-year-old no less. If he lacks sense there, he lacks it everywhere else too probably.

Hand him a bible & ask him to show you where it defines Hell as a place where "people who don't believe Jesus was the messiah" wind up.

NormanPride
4/17/2006, 01:38 PM
Oh boy. IBTH

;)

OUDoc
4/17/2006, 01:43 PM
Does he wear a foil hat at night?

swardboy
4/17/2006, 02:57 PM
people like that kill me. And 99 times out of 100, they don't really know the Bible like they'd have you believe. It doesn't take much sense to know you probably shouldn't go where he went with the "Jews going to hell" thing, to a 15-year-old no less. If he lacks sense there, he lacks it everywhere else too probably.

Hand him a bible & ask him to show you where it defines Hell as a place where "people who don't believe Jesus was the messiah" wind up.

Matthew 10:28, 32

swardboy
4/17/2006, 02:58 PM

Acts 4:12

Partial Qualifier
4/17/2006, 03:50 PM
Swardboy, I said ask HIM :) but to play devil's advocate here, and admittedly I am no bible scholar myself, just using online resources... none of those verses address the question I posed, and only one even mentioned the word 'hell' (Matt. 10:28) and that was not in every translation I looked up. Not that I care, just sayin'

I have a sore spot for the religious zealot types VeeJay described, I work with one and it took 4 years to convince him that, no, I don't feel shame and guilt about not "being saved", specifically by his Baptist church.

Veritas
4/17/2006, 04:11 PM
Holy carp, my MIL called my wife and I yesterday morning and that was the FIRST thing she said.

MIL: He is risen!
V: He's a raisin?

Fortunately she thought it was funny. Evidently she wanted us to answer "he is risen indeed." One of those tradition that Moms try to start for the sake of tradition that never catch on.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 04:22 PM
I slept in. Until the dog woke me up.

Hamhock
4/17/2006, 04:23 PM
obligatory religion post

swardboy
4/17/2006, 04:24 PM
Partial...nothing personal, but your questione implied there is no mention of hell in the bible, as I understood it. And I agree some people come across in hardly a "winsome" manner.

You will come to your own conclusion about the veracity of the bible. And doubting it is a valid position. I just don't want it to be rejected based on misperception (is that a word?) of what it says. And I agree that some Baptists have some misperceptions of what it really says. :D I prefer to be known as a "Christian only", following the bible only, and not some church creed or dogma.

And I do believe both verses exactly hit your main point: There is salvation is no other name but Jesus, is their claim. Biblical salvation is being preserved from some form of everlasting judgement: Hell. It's not being saved from Longhorns.....wait,

skeeterou
4/17/2006, 04:28 PM
flying spaghetti monster is so much cooler.

Ramen.

Partial Qualifier
4/17/2006, 04:29 PM
Partial...nothing personal, but your questione implied there is no mention of hell in the bible, as I understood it. And I agree some people come across in hardly a "winsome" manner.

You will come to your own conclusion about the veracity of the bible. And doubting it is a valid position. I just don't want it to be rejected based on misperception (is that a word?) of what it says. And I agree that some Baptists have some misperceptions of what it really says. :D I prefer to be known as a "Christian only", following the bible only, and not some church creed or dogma.

I wasn't very clear. I meant that, I really doubt someone could say "Everyone who doesn't recognize Jesus the way my religion does, is going to hell" and be able to back that up in scripture. Thanks for the note, I think I'm on the same path as you with this subject.

StoopTroup
4/17/2006, 04:39 PM
At the "Last Supper", Jesus talks about the one who will betray him and that it would be better if he had not been born.

Not that Hell is mentioned, but the idea that it would be better to have not been born would indicate to me that the betrayer or anyone who acted in such manner would not end up in a very nice situation.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 04:59 PM
I prefer to be known as a "Christian only", following the bible only, and not some church creed or dogma.

Heh.

TopDawg
4/17/2006, 05:25 PM
And I agree that some Baptists have some misperceptions of what it really says. :D I prefer to be known as a "Christian only", following the bible only, and not some church creed or dogma.

That last part is actually very close to historic Baptist principles. Quite shocking, I know.

VeeJay
4/17/2006, 07:09 PM
Holy carp, my MIL called my wife and I yesterday morning and that was the FIRST thing she said.

MIL: He is risen!
V: He's a raisin?

Fortunately she thought it was funny. Evidently she wanted us to answer "he is risen indeed." One of those tradition that Moms try to start for the sake of tradition that never catch on.

Holy carp indeed!

That's what I was referring to when my MIL got scolded for scolding the lady standing next to her. The other lady didn't say "Indeed" after MIL said "He is risen." You're supposed to say "indeed," apparently.

I've never heard that before.

Apparently that has caught on for the hard liners, veritas.

OUDoc
4/17/2006, 08:23 PM
Wow. We just say "Happy Easter" and fix drinks at the poker table. <--Catholics :D

slickdawg
4/17/2006, 08:27 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

TopDawg
4/17/2006, 10:06 PM
The other lady didn't say "Indeed" after MIL said "He is risen." You're supposed to say "indeed," apparently.

I've never heard that before.

Apparently that has caught on for the hard liners, veritas.

First time for me this year, too.