PDA

View Full Version : Blackest member

OUDoc
4/17/2006, 12:41 PM
By Carol Biliczky
Beacon Journal staff writer

Kent State University officials have placed the Chi Omega sorority on probation for giving a ``blackest member'' award to a white woman.

The sorority will not be able to hold social functions while officials investigate the incident, which occurred at a formal dinner-dance at the Student Center Ballroom on Saturday.

The president of Chi Omega's KSU chapter, marketing major Marisa Stroud, released a written statement to the media apologizing for the award. She declined to comment further or answer questions.

On Thursday, three sorority members met with black students and KSU administrators for an hour, according to Sasha Parker, president of Black United Students.

Parker said the Chi Omega members told the group that the award -- one of many bestowed that night -- was a joke among friends, not a slap at black students.

Parker said she could accept that explanation, noting that the student who received the award brought a black date to the event.

``We don't believe they're racist,'' she said. ``We just think it's an insensitivity issue.''

Heh, they said "member".

I think I'd find a black student awarded "whitest member" pretty funny, actually. But since I'm white I can't say that. ;)

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/ohio/news/14341337.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_news

yermom
4/17/2006, 12:51 PM
i thought you were talking about members here ;)

:dolemite:

Viking Kitten
4/17/2006, 12:51 PM
On Thursday, three sorority members met with black students and KSU administrators for an hour, according to Sasha Parker, president of Black United Students.

People need to find better ways to spend their free time.

yermom
4/17/2006, 12:54 PM
i'd have to say that was a pretty retarded thing to do

now, Biggest Retard, THAT would be a good award ;)

OUDoc
4/17/2006, 12:56 PM
And I'm guessing you wouldn't want to GIS that award.
Except maybe Howzit would. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
4/17/2006, 12:59 PM
Mrs. THA commented on the fact with Hip Hop and Rap so prevalent and mainstream that perhaps that was what they were referring to. I mean the "urban" or "ghetto" lifestyle is so out there, why would it be an issue if you call someone "the blackest"? Just asking?

Now, I'm sure no one would want to be called "the whitest" as it would probably not be considered hip, with it or cool...;)

1stTimeCaller
4/17/2006, 12:59 PM
heh. when I was in college I made a pledge wear a Lambda Chi party shirt during house cleans if I deemed him 'Chop of the Week'. The other members didn't think it was funny and made me stop after three weeks.

OUDoc
4/17/2006, 01:01 PM
heh. when I was in college I made a pledge wear a Lambda Chi party shirt during house cleans if I deemed him 'Chop of the Week'. The other members didn't think it was funny and made me stop after three weeks.
Cruel and unusual. ;)

Not gonna ask how you got the shirt.