PDA

View Full Version : Capital vs. Capitol

1stTimeCaller
4/17/2006, 12:03 PM
As I was headed home yesterday from my Mom's in Chickasha to my mansion in Fort Worth I noticed the Rush Springs watertower just south of RS on Hwy 81.
It says, " Rush Springs <pic of watermelon> Watermelon Capital"

C'mon folks. I should've snapped a pic but I'm sure it will be there for me the next time I drive by.

And for the Chickasha football schedule that is painted on a wall by the HS they seemed to get it right every other year. Some years we played Capitol Hill, some years we played Capital Hill.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/17/2006, 12:05 PM
A “capitol” is always a building. Cities and all other uses are spelled with an A in the last syllable. Would it help to remember that Congress with an O meets in the Capitol with another O?

1stTimeCaller
4/17/2006, 12:10 PM
I guess they got it correct. I'm stupid. I always thought that capital was only used for $. I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried.

Hamhock
4/17/2006, 12:10 PM
I knew a gal in college that was from chickasha. Whenever she hit the sauce she would go around yelling: Chick, A-Sha, Chick-Chick, A-Sha.

It would have been really annoying 'ceptin she was hawt.

1stTimeCaller
4/17/2006, 12:11 PM
I knew a gal in college that was from chickasha. Whenever she hit the sauce she would go around yelling: Chick, A-Sha, Chick-Chick, A-Sha.

It would have been really annoying 'ceptin she was hawt.

didja get'ny?

Hamhock
4/17/2006, 12:13 PM
5th

crawfish
4/17/2006, 12:27 PM
Maybe they make money from their watermelons. Didja think about that? Huh?

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2006, 12:36 PM
I guess they got it correct. I'm stupid. I always thought that capital was only used for $. I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried.

dont kid yourself, had you tried, you certainly could have been even more wrong than you originally believed

C&CDean
4/17/2006, 01:32 PM
There is only one "Capitol." It's in Washington, DC. It's where our senators and congressmen meet.

All other state capitals are spelled "capital." The proper spelling of the state capital buildings is "capital." This includes the building. I did research on this several years ago.

TUSooner
4/17/2006, 01:35 PM
There is only one "Capitol." It's in Washington, DC. It's where our senators and congressmen meet.

All other state capitals are spelled "capital." The proper spelling of the state capital buildings is "capital." This includes the building. I did research on this several years ago.

I never knew, til now.

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2006, 01:39 PM

You must have been really bored. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/17/2006, 01:43 PM

All other state capitals are spelled "capital." The proper spelling of the state capital buildings is "capital." This includes the building. I did research on this several years ago.There's also Capitol Records, one-time label of the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Nat Cole, and many others. Don't even know if the company still exists.

frankensooner
4/17/2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.classbrain.com/artstate/publish/article_554.shtml

SBSB is correct.

See these also:
http://www.oklahomadome.com/

http://www.odl.state.ok.us/oar/resources/dome/

silverwheels
4/17/2006, 01:47 PM
There's also Capitol Records, one-time label of the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Nat Cole, and many others. Don't even know if the company still exists.

Yeah, they do. Still going strong, actually...

Howzit
4/17/2006, 01:49 PM
This thread is capitol!

C&CDean
4/17/2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.classbrain.com/artstate/publish/article_554.shtml

SBSB is correct.

See these also:
http://www.oklahomadome.com/

http://www.odl.state.ok.us/oar/resources/dome/

The only recognized "capitol" in this country is in Washington, DC. It is named after the temple of Jupiter on the Capitoline Hill in ancient Rome. Over the years, all the hillbilly states decided to call their own capital buildings "capitol" buildings. But they're wrong. Just because you decide to call it a "capitol" doesn't make it so.

OUinFLA
4/17/2006, 02:26 PM
Dayum.............Dean is edumacated.
You just a wannabe Hillbilly.

frankensooner
4/17/2006, 03:01 PM
Tis true, it is the only recognized federal capitol building in the US! ;)

OCUDad
4/17/2006, 03:08 PM
The proper spelling of the state capital buildings is "capital." This includes the building.As a newbie, the very last thing on Earth I would want to do is to argue with Dean. So I need to be very careful how I phrase this:

Webster's shows the following definition for "capitol."

Main Entry: cap·i·tol
Pronunciation: 'ka-p&-t&l, 'kap-t&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin Capitolium, temple of Jupiter at Rome on the Capitoline hill
1 a : a building in which a state legislative body meets b : a group of buildings in which the functions of state government are carried out
2 capitalized : the building in which the U.S. Congress meets at Washington

This would indicate that only the U.S. Congress meets in the "capital c" Capitol, while state legislatures meet in a "lower-case c" capitol? Is this a variant on Dean's interpretation? Does this mean that one refers to the "U.S. Capitol," but the "<your state here> capitol"? Or do we all need to go down to the folks at Webster's and administer an ***-kicking? What's the definitive reference on this? This interests me -- really it does. I had not heard the Dean version.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/17/2006, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah, wise guy, what about Capitol Paint and Body, Jackson MS?????Huh?Are they WRONG to name their business that way? What about it, huh, huh?

proud gonzo
4/17/2006, 05:17 PM
dictionaries only tell you how people use the words. just because people use the word doesn't mean it's historically accurate.

GottaHavePride
4/17/2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah. I mean, dictionaries put "ain't" in them because people use the word. That doesn't mean it's correct. ;)

OCUDad
4/17/2006, 09:11 PM
Dicitionaries do not tell you how people use words. They tell you how people should use words. And dictionaries call out "ain't" as improper usage. I saw no such warning on the definition of "capitol."

But the real question was "what's the definitive reference?" Maybe it ain't the dictionary, but what IS it? That was my question.

Hamhock
4/17/2006, 09:25 PM
But the real question was "what's the definitive reference?" Maybe it ain't the dictionary, but what IS it? That was my question.

SO

ywia

49r
4/18/2006, 09:54 AM
Somewhere about midway down this thread, after saying the word over and over in my head, I started to think that "Capitol" sounded like some sort of over the counter laxative or maybe sleep aid. I could see the cheesy 80's television commercial...

[guy in lab coat]"get a good night's sleep/healthy dump with all-new "time release Cap-i-tol", and get your life back in order!@!!"[/guy in lab coat]

proud gonzo
4/18/2006, 11:29 AM
Dicitionaries do not tell you how people use words. They tell you how people should use words.

How do you think dictionaries get their definitions? they research what words people use and how they use them. a dictionary is a resource, not an instruction manual.

1stTimeCaller
4/18/2006, 11:34 AM
How do you think dictionaries get their definitions? they research what words people use and how they use them. a dictionary is a resource, not an instruction manual.

but who says that ain't isn't a word? Is it 'they' that said so?

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/18/2006, 11:37 AM

You pomos really **** me off.

Norm In Norman
4/18/2006, 12:11 PM
Capitol comes from the Latin Capitolinus Mons in Ancient Rome. It was the seat of the Roman Republic and today is the seat of the Mayor of Rome.
OK.

cap·i·tol (kăp'ĭ-tl) pronunciation
n.

1. A building or complex of buildings in which a state legislature meets.
2. Capitol The building in Washington, D.C., where the Congress of the United States meets.

So...

"Capitol buildings are cool!" is incorrect
"Capital buildings are cool!" is incorrect
"The Capitol is cool!" is correct

"Our state Capitol has an indian on it." is incorrect
"Our state capital has an indian on it." is incorrect
"Our state capitol has an indian on it." is correct

"That Capitol Q is sort of neato." is incorrect
"That capitol Q is sort of neato." is incorrect
"That capital Q is sort of neato." is correct

Right?

RacerX
4/18/2006, 12:14 PM
This is better than band smack.

49r
4/18/2006, 12:43 PM
^^^ Yeah, but is it a capital "C"?

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/18/2006, 01:31 PM
OK.

So...

"Capitol buildings are cool!" is incorrect
"Capital buildings are cool!" is incorrect
"The Capitol is cool!" is correct

"Our state Capitol has an indian on it." is incorrect
"Our state capital has an indian on it." is incorrect
"Our state capitol has an indian on it." is correct

"That Capitol Q is sort of neato." is incorrect
"That capitol Q is sort of neato." is incorrect
"That capital Q is sort of neato." is correct

Right?
I think "indian" should be capitelized.

Mjcpr
4/18/2006, 01:33 PM
Capitol is a menstral cramp medication, I believe.