PDA

View Full Version : So is THIS what a deposition is like?

OUstudent4life
4/17/2006, 11:02 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I present one of the largest donors to the horns, Joe Jamail...

Actually, he's running the deposition, and is to the right of the camera.

Fat boy :texan: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12sqYYLJxA&search=Joe%20Jamail)

Phil
4/17/2006, 01:40 PM
Yikes. Seems as though there were a large number of giant *******s in that room. Ol' Joe seems to think he's a judge or something.

Hamhock
4/17/2006, 01:45 PM
LONG LIVE WIKIPEDIA!!

I hadn't heard of the guy.

Joe Jamail
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Joe Jamail (born October 19, 1925 in Houston, Texas) is a billionaire American attorney. In 1985, Mr. Jamail represented Pennzoil in a lawsuit against Texaco. Pennzoil won the case and paid him one billion dollars. Mr. Jamail has given large donations to The University of Texas at Austin. The football field at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium is named Joe Jamail Field in his honor.

Jamail is known for his passionate, aggressive, sometimes abrasive advocacy on behalf of his clients — a tendency that has been noted in the National Law Journal, by the Supreme Court of Delaware[1] as well as other sources. In April 2006, a particularly sharp exchange, titled "Joe Jamail takes a deposition defended by Edward Carstarphen. Hilarity ensues" or "Texas-Style Deposition", appeared[2] on various blogs and internet sites (particularly related to American law).

Jamail is a graduate of The University of Texas (B.A., 1950) and The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 1953).

TheHumanAlphabet
4/17/2006, 02:53 PM
I've summarized depositions for my advisor while I was a grad student.

Some of the most boring stuff I have ever read, then there is the hilarity...

Like:
"He touched your Johnson"; yeah; "Where"; here (pointing); "No, where did this occur?"; oh, at the bar; "What did you do?"; I slugged him...

"Were you on the cell phone when the train hit you?"; yes, but I didn't see any warning lights or heard nothing...

TheHumanAlphabet
4/17/2006, 03:08 PM
Just how BIG is this file? Its been loading for like 5 minutes...

TexasLidig8r
4/17/2006, 03:10 PM
Those depositions are rare.. but.. a lot of fun when they do happen...

I had a brief deposition this morning... the only even slightly ascerbic thing said was me asking, "Do you have a problem understanding the Queen's English?"

Phil
4/17/2006, 03:56 PM
I prefer "English is your mother tongue, isn't it?"

GDC
4/17/2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/aidan/b3ta/b3ta_english.jpg

StoopTroup
4/17/2006, 04:16 PM
How big a boy are ya?

LMAO@that one...

http://www.capitol-nashville.com/images/large_Roy%20D.Mercer_4.jpg

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 04:21 PM
Classy guy to have representing your foozball team.

LoyalFan
4/17/2006, 07:58 PM
Hmmmmm....lemme seeeeee.

OK! The arrogant phuque was spawned circa '25. That makes the SOB 81 years old, give or take.
Not to worry, he'll be dead soon.
Oh, what WILL the Whorns do?

LF

Al Gore
4/17/2006, 08:42 PM
Those depositions are rare.. but.. a lot of fun when they do happen...

I had a brief deposition this morning... the only even slightly ascerbic thing said was me asking, "Do you have a problem understanding the Queen's English?"In construction you see more of these types.....All of us contractors are a-holes!!!!

Oldnslo
4/17/2006, 09:14 PM
I have never taken a depo like that. However, I have defended one.

See, Dude was having an affair with his client and wanted to put on a show. That was a fun case. Then the stupid bastard indicated in a brief that he witnessed the accident and that the girl was unconscious. Et viola, he had information no one else did. One motion later, and he was a witness and I deposed him.

The case settled immediately after. :)

TheHumanAlphabet
4/18/2006, 09:29 AM
I can't see it it, has anyone been able to see it? All it says is loading...

Does someone have a copy I can download? TIA.

1stTimeCaller
4/18/2006, 09:52 AM
In construction you see more of these types.....All of us contractors are a-holes!!!!

true dat. My favorite thing to do is let the a-hole finish calling me whatever he wants to call me then I just say 'Are you done?'. Then I calmly read them their contract where it says they will do what I'm wanting them to do. I then hand over a 72 hour Notice to Cure.

Being calm when folks are fired up usually makes them angrier. Especially when a 27 yo is telling a guy that has been in the businees longer than 27 years how the cow eats the cabbage.