PDA

View Full Version : The Board Is Slow And It's Not Tuesday, So.....

FaninAma
4/17/2006, 10:48 AM
I thought I would ask a question related to the Texas Longhorns>

What is your opinion of Mack's strategy to fill his recruiting class so early? I know this strategy came back to bite Joe Paterno in his wrinkled arse at Penn State, but is Mack a better evaluator of talent? I think UT is approaching 20 commits before May. That is just astounding and even more agressive than Penn State's strategy in the late 90's.

From my understanding Stoops hasn't offered but a handful of potential recruits so far, but even so the early commits OU has is ahead of what the Sooners usually have at this point in the year.

picasso
4/17/2006, 11:16 AM
I think Roscoe knows what he's doing when it comes to recruiting. I've never really given Texas recruiting much thought myself.

NormanPride
4/17/2006, 11:24 AM
Texas has a way of taking whatever recruits they get and turning them into a pretty strong, uninspired team. I'm really curious as to how they'll do now that they've lost their dancing inspiration.

Herr Scholz
4/17/2006, 11:34 AM
I'm really curious as to how they'll do now that they've lost their dancing inspiration.
Umm, we've still got Studdard. :D

FaninAma
4/17/2006, 11:58 AM
Mack has always signed a lot more early signees than Bob has but it's only been the last 2 years where the majority of the UT class was committed before August. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

IMO, this strategy originated from the year that Texas lost Bomar and AD to OU because of thre horn's losses in the RRS. After that year Mack went to a strategy of putting a full court press on Texas players to sign early.

caphorns
4/17/2006, 12:09 PM
This trend really started last year. Not sure if it was related to the Perrilloux fiasco. But, I think from trial-and-error, Mack finds that his best selling point is when kids come for their campus visit. Mack likes to run these before the season starts so there is less distraction during the year. Our junior days were really productive this year. Not sure about the history of Paterno's decisions (maybe they weren't selective??), BUT last year's Texas class would not have been much different IMO if picked at the end rather than the beginning. I think we ended up with nearly half of the Top 10 in Texas from year end???? Right now, we have 5-7 of the Top 10 locked up (depends on which service is rating them). So it seems to be a good strategy.

Most schools have to recruit the entire US. The biggest exceptions I can think of right now are Texas and LSU. Texas has been able to lock down the top Texas talent and that's pretty much what we need to stay competitive with OU, ND, etc. USC can lock down their class from the State of California, but seems to take a broader look accross the country. I think their coaching staff has a leg up in terms of being the team where "NFL talent" goes - like Miami had for years. I think Texas is smart to stay away from going head-to-head with USC outside of Texas recruits.

picasso
4/17/2006, 12:16 PM
Mack has always signed a lot more early signees than Bob has but it's only been the last 2 years where the majority of the UT class was committed before August. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

IMO, this strategy originated from the year that Texas lost Bomar and AD to OU because of thre horn's losses in the RRS. After that year Mack went to a strategy of putting a full court press on Texas players to sign early.
I heard Stoops say on the radio a few months ago that he didn't put much stock into how much our winning the Texas game sways our recruiting battles with UT. He was of the opinion that there's plenty to go around from the state.
I think that was just coach speak myself.
That's how we got AD. without a doubt.

Herr Scholz
4/17/2006, 12:31 PM
It's been the same strategy all along. Mack's staff indentifies the players in the Junior class they want to look at. By the time our Junior days roll around in March, they know who they think the can't miss players are. After they get a look at them on the UT campus during the Junior days, they offer these guys. It's not a shotgun approach. They offer a limited amount and do their homework. We've got 19 verbals right now, for example. Only 2 of the kids we've offered haven't accepted. The kids who want to come to UT are just getting on board earlier is all instead of waiting around.

Now, the 'ultimatum' (if you want to call it that) to Mallett was probably a result of losing out on big name QBs such as Perriliar and Bomar in the past few classes. Didn't want to miss out on Brantley while Mallett was making up his mind.

GDC
4/17/2006, 01:02 PM
Hurry the **** up, Tuesday.

Herr Scholz
4/17/2006, 01:18 PM
Fan, I think gdc's calling you out for starting a Longhorn thread.

GDC
4/17/2006, 01:27 PM
No, I'm calling you out for being a stinking whorn.

NormanPride
4/17/2006, 01:31 PM
I'm really curious about how these classes are going to turn out in the end. I looked at both OU's and Texas' classes and, with a couple exceptions, there just doesn't seem to be the huge names that we're used to. Everybody is good, there's just not many world-beaters. I'm not sure about this year's class, though I remember seeing a pretty sick RB commit to UT. I've never really been scared of Texas' RBs, with the offense they seem to run...

Herr Scholz
4/17/2006, 02:18 PM
No, I'm calling you out for being a stinking whorn.
Yeah, I'm sure you'd be fine with the Longhorn talk if it were only Sooners. Right. :rolleyes: Why don't you stop calling out your fellow Sooner posters and the moderators all the time?

jacru
4/17/2006, 02:22 PM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2170/gdc8se.jpg
Ride'em hard gdc!

GDC
4/17/2006, 02:25 PM
yee haw:texan:

NormanPride
4/17/2006, 02:58 PM
Ew.

caphorns
4/17/2006, 03:25 PM
I'm really curious about how these classes are going to turn out in the end. I looked at both OU's and Texas' classes and, with a couple exceptions, there just doesn't seem to be the huge names that we're used to. Everybody is good, there's just not many world-beaters. I'm not sure about this year's class, though I remember seeing a pretty sick RB commit to UT. I've never really been scared of Texas' RBs, with the offense they seem to run...

The "huge" names for last year's Texas class were Sergio Kindle - a LB that probably will be either starting or first off the bench by the time of the RRS this year and Jevan Snead. Those guys will be the immediate type impact players. Eddie Jones was another 5 star. We did get a good RB, but not so much a big name guy. This year it has to be our 2 likely 5-star QB commits - Chiles and Brantley. Plus, you have the best OL in the nation - Trey Allen.

You guys have had GREAT classes of late. You had big name guys - Gresham, Murray come to mind. Right now you have some solid defensive players committed for 2007.

But possibly the story that inspired this hopeful thought - that we'd go the way of PSU - is contrast to the fact that Mack has pretty much locked up his strongest in-state class ever with the 2007 early commits - and its only April.

C&CDean
4/17/2006, 04:45 PM
Just a friendly FYI to the board:

I will be flying to Baltimore tomorrow. I will be getting to my hotel tomorrow evening. If there's longwhorn talk, and you are the originator, you can expect swift, severe, and just punishment.

TIA.

FaninAma
4/17/2006, 09:06 PM
The "huge" names for last year's Texas class were Sergio Kindle - a LB that probably will be either starting or first off the bench by the time of the RRS this year and Jevan Snead. Those guys will be the immediate type impact players. Eddie Jones was another 5 star. We did get a good RB, but not so much a big name guy. This year it has to be our 2 likely 5-star QB commits - Chiles and Brantley. Plus, you have the best OL in the nation - Trey Allen.

You guys have had GREAT classes of late. You had big name guys - Gresham, Murray come to mind. Right now you have some solid defensive players committed for 2007.

But possibly the story that inspired this hopeful thought - that we'd go the way of PSU - is contrast to the fact that Mack has pretty much locked up his strongest in-state class ever with the 2007 early commits - and its only April.

Cap, I'm not saying UT will suffer the same results Penn State did but I still think the success(or lack thereof) of Mack's last 2 classes has yet to be determined. At the time Penn State's classes were also rated fairly high but proved to be less than spectacular on the field. Of course other factors went into the Nitanny Lions down turn such as asst. coaching turnover.

goingoneight
4/17/2006, 09:34 PM
Umm, we've still got Studdard. :D

and Mack Brown can still "wiggle a lil'." ;)