PDA

View Full Version : CFN: All-Time Best Running Back U and QB U

Octavian
4/17/2006, 10:45 AM
Of course Im biased but I think OU is ranked too low on both lists, but especially the RB's

All-Time "QB U" List
http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Features/HistoricalDebate_QB_Fiu.htm

7. Oklahoma
There's no greater gap in styles than there is in the Oklahoma quarterbacks. You have some of the greatest option runners of all-time mixed in with Heisman-caliber passer. If nothing else, OU might have the most fun-to-watch quarterbacks of all-time whether it's J.C. Watts flinging a pitch to a streaking Billy Sims, Jamelle Holieway juking and cutting up the field or Jason White letting it fly deep.

Oklahoma's five greatest quarterbacks
1) Jamelle Holieway - He never made an All-America team and wasn't in the Heisman mix. However, he's generally considered the greatest option quarterback of all-time and led the Sooners to the 1985 national title. Always a top runner leading the team in rushing in his sophomore and junior seasons, he became an improved passer by his senior year with a 161.73 efficiency rating.
2) Jason White - White had a Heisman and two national title appearances, Holieway has a championship. Flip a coin as to which one deserves the top spot.
3) Josh Heupel - The quarterback in the resurgence of Sooner football, he was the steady leader that brought OU the 2000 national title and was the runner-up in the Heisman race with a 33 touchdown, 3,850-yard season. His threw for 7,456 yards in two seasons.
4) J.C. Watts - The best option quarterback ever until Holieway came along, Watts led the Sooners to two Big 8 championships and two Orange Bowl wins.
5) Jack Mildren - A three-year starter, Mildren suffered from being the quarterback of some monster OU teams at the same time Nebraska was at the height of its power. He had a passer efficiency rating of 199.52 in 1971.

All-Time "RB U" List
http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Features/HistoricalDebate_RB_Fiu.htm

7. Oklahoma
The Sooners have enjoyed some of the most exciting and talented backs college football has ever seen. Getting to play in one of college football's premier rushing attacks during the 1970s and 1980s, players like Billy Sims, Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington and Marcus Dupree were some of biggest stars in the game. Even though the offense became more pass oriented under Bob Stoops, there were still some decent backs highlighted by the underrated Quentin Griffin.

Oklahoma's five greatest running backs
1) Billy Sims - The two-time All-American and 1978 Heisman winner was one of the greatest players of all-time. He ran for 4,108 yards and 53 touchdowns scoring a whopping 45 times in his final two seasons. Most impressive was his career 6.9 yard-per-carry average.
2) Adrian Peterson - This might be a bit premature, but few backs have ever possessed the combination of size, speed and skills Peterson has shown.
3) Steve Owens - Yeah, he breaks the 1970 rule for these rankings, but he comes close enough. The 1969 Heisman winner was a touchdown machine setting the OU record with 57 in his three seasons to go along with his 4,041 yards.
4) Joe Washington - The two-time All-American ran for 3,995 career yards and scored 39 touchdowns finishing his career as OU's all-time leading rusher. He finished third in the 1974 Heisman as "Little Joe" led the Sooners to the national title.
5) Quentin Griffin - The diminutive Griffin never received the credit he deserved amassing 4,732 total yards over his last three seasons to go along with 41 rushing touchdowns. Even with all of his touches, he almost never fumbled. Greg Pruitt should probably be here.

FaninAma
4/17/2006, 10:55 AM
Their lists are goofy.

In regards to the QB list:
FSU, Nebraska and Florida are rated way too high....especially Nebraska. Michigan is rated too low. OU is about right.

In regards to the RB list:
OU is rated way too low and should be at least # 3 behind USC and Texas. Auburn and Penn State are rated too high.

The Consumate Showman
4/17/2006, 11:10 AM
In regards to QB...I would take Heupel every day of the week before Jamelle and Jason.

RB's...AD will soon pass Billy. What will be interesting to see is if DeMarco and C. Brown can compete at that same high level the greats competed at...

Octavian
4/17/2006, 11:15 AM
In regards to the RB list:
OU is rated way too low and should be at least # 3 behind USC and Texas. Auburn and Penn State are rated too high.

Texas is solid but I'd probably rate us at 2 or 3...neck and neck w/ tOSU and behind USC

Sooner in Tampa
4/17/2006, 11:33 AM
I call Bull**** on the bugeaters being ahead of us.

LSUdeek
4/17/2006, 11:37 AM
auburn gains a lot of points for having stephen davis and bo jackson counted among their alumni. also having two top 10 picks last year doesn't hurt.

they have four running back alumni who start for their respective NFL teams. cadillac, brown, davis (hurt), and johnson. these guys attended AU consecutively. freakin amazing.

edit: davis was released by carolina on march 1, but i think my point is still valid.

snp
4/17/2006, 11:49 AM
Penn State being ranked ahead of us is horse pucky.

Their top four:
1. Curt Warner 3,398
2. Blair Thomas 3,301
3. Curtis Enis 3,256
4. D.J. Dozier 3,227

Our top four:
1. Billy Sims 4,118
2. Joe Washington 4,071
3. Steve Owens
4. Quentin Griffin 3,938

And that doesn't include AD.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/17/2006, 11:50 AM
In regards to QB...I would take Heupel every day of the week before Jamelle and Jason.

Wouldn't it matter what type of offense you are running? I wouldn't want Heupel running the wishbone, nor would I want Hollieway running the spread attack. I think they are both best at that type of O.

sooneron
4/17/2006, 11:56 AM
How does Wisc finish ahead of Nebraska for RB's??? That's giving WAY too much cred for Dayne.

Sooner in Tampa
4/17/2006, 11:56 AM
Penn State being ranked ahead of us is horse pucky.

Their top four:
1. Curt Warner 3,398
2. Blair Thomas 3,301
3. Curtis Enis 3,256
4. D.J. Dozier 3,227

Our top four:
1. Billy Sims 4,118
2. Joe Washington 4,071
3. Steve Owens
4. Quentin Griffin 3,938

And that doesn't include AD.You are correct. Total BS!!!! I would like to know who was actually behind figuring this thing up because I am confused.

sooneron
4/17/2006, 12:02 PM
And another thing, why does he make a big deal about breaking the 1970 rule in regards to Steve Owens and NOT Throat slasher Simpson??

Octavian
4/17/2006, 12:04 PM
You are correct. Total BS!!!! I would like to know who was actually behind figuring this thing up because I am confused.

Pat Fiutak...writer for collegefootballnews.com

edit: although he wrote it down....most likely its a joint effort of the CFN staff

toast
4/17/2006, 12:05 PM
nm

tbl
4/17/2006, 12:19 PM
At least they got this right in regards to USC and Leinart...

"one national title, two AP national titles"