PDA

View Full Version : How come Passover and Easter...

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 10:38 AM
...and Hannukah and Christmas are at the same time? I don't get that.

Partial Qualifier
4/17/2006, 10:43 AM
Because Wal-Mart wants it that way.

Howzit
4/17/2006, 10:50 AM
It's synchronicity in action.

Colleyville will probably screw it all up.

Octavian
4/17/2006, 10:55 AM
...and Hannukah and Christmas are at the same time? I don't get that.

yo fool, you forgot Kwanzaa

Soonrboy
4/17/2006, 10:56 AM
It's Spring Holiday, bub.

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/17/2006, 10:59 AM
Since the Passover Meal is what Jesus shared with the Disciples at the Last Supper, Easter and Passover will always be at the same time. Easter is the first Sunday after the first Full Moon of the Spring Equinox, because that's when Passover is. Ash Wednesday is 40 days (not counting Sundays) before that. Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday.

I don't know why Hannukah and Christmas coincide. I think it has something to do with the Winter Solstice.

They all sound like feminine fertility rituals to me.

ChickSoonerFan
4/17/2006, 11:00 AM
Jesus was crucified, died, burried and rose again during the Passover so they fall at the same time.

I don't know why Hannukah and Christmas fall around eachother...I should know more about it. My dad is Jewish.

soonerbrat
4/17/2006, 11:02 AM
Since the Passover Meal is what Jesus shared with the Disciples at the Last Supper, Easter and Passover will always be at the same time. Easter is the first Sunday after the first Full Moon of the Spring Equinox, because that's when Passover is. Ash Wednesday is 40 days (not counting Sundays) before that. Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday.

I don't know why Hannukah and Christmas coincide. I think it has something to do with the Winter Solstice.

They all sound like feminine fertility rituals to me.

sounds like someone has been reading The Da Vinci Code ;)

crawfish
4/17/2006, 11:03 AM
Damn Jews stealing all our holidays. :mad:

ChickSoonerFan
4/17/2006, 11:09 AM
Damn Jews stealing all our holidays. :mad:

I think it is the other way around...they had the holidays first.

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/17/2006, 11:14 AM
sounds like someone has been reading The Da Vinci Code ;)

No, I'm Catholic. We got all that stuff drilled into our heads by sadistic Irish nuns.

Oldnslo
4/17/2006, 11:21 AM
1. Yes, the holidays were ours first. The Last Supper was a Seder.

2. Christmas and Hannukah coincide only every so often. The Hebrew calendar is lunar, and there's a Leap MONTH. Two years ago, Hannukah was nowhere near Christmas. And nobody bitched about saying "happy holidays".

soonerbrat
4/17/2006, 11:23 AM
No, I'm Catholic. We got all that stuff drilled into our heads by sadistic Irish nuns.

the pagan ritual stuff? fertility goddess stuff?

that was to what i was referring :)

Octavian
4/17/2006, 11:26 AM
Two years ago, Hannukah was nowhere near Christmas. And nobody bitched about saying "happy holidays".

yeah but thats a vital issue!!....there's a War on Christmas!!

FoxNews will remind us again in 7 months ;)

TUSooner
4/17/2006, 11:35 AM
1. Yes, the holidays were ours first. The Last Supper was a Seder.

2. Christmas and Hannukah coincide only every so often. The Hebrew calendar is lunar, and there's a Leap MONTH. Two years ago, Hannukah was nowhere near Christmas. And nobody bitched about saying "happy holidays".

Had enough matzoh? ;)

handcrafted
4/17/2006, 11:35 AM
The Jewish holidays and Christian holidays don't always coincide, in fact that only happens once every 5-10 years depending on the lunar calendar. Jewish (and Muslim, FYI) holidays are based on the same reckoning system, so the holidays get earlier and earlier until the leap month gets inserted and they all reset. Last year, Passover was a month after Easter.

The Christian holidays are dated to coincide with ancient pagan festivals, because Emperor Constantine was a consummate politician and though he converted to Christianity (at least publicly), he felt the need to appease the pagan population and maintain the festival dates as part of the "new religion".

OklahomaTuba
4/17/2006, 11:38 AM
yeah but thats a vital issue!!....there's a War on Christmas!!

FoxNews will remind us again in 7 months ;)

That, or the ACLU will, when they sue some kids for singing Christmas carols again.

yermom
4/17/2006, 11:44 AM
the pagan ritual stuff? fertility goddess stuff?

that was to what i was referring :)

that's where the eggs and bunny and stuff come from

the actual date is based loosely on the Jewish calendar

soonerscuba
4/17/2006, 11:57 AM
I think that we as a global society need to pick one holiday and go balls to the wall. Maybe St. Pat's that way all the fake Irish in the US and abroad can celebrate the fact that they come from beyond the pale, and the rest of us can celebrate the fact that we aren't Irish.

The tricky part is the non-western world, we need a global cease fire on St. Pat's, and if you drink, drink. If it against your religion (I'm looking at you Persia) you get your choice of camel racing or soccer. Everyone wins.

yermom
4/17/2006, 12:01 PM
i'd pick Festivus over St. Pats

you can get blitzed anytime, you need a special day for the Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength

soonerscuba
4/17/2006, 12:06 PM
That is what I thought to, but I think it would be easier to get around an existing and popular holiday and take it over the top.