PDA

View Full Version : I'm adopting a rescued dog

TopDaugIn2000
4/17/2006, 10:24 AM
My parents live in the sticks of eastern OK and last week a puppy appeared in their backyard. She is very friendly and was STARVING. Mom fed her some bacon, cheese slices (she got ahold of a plastic cheese slice wrapper and had eaten it before mom could get it away from her), several slices of whole grain bread (to flush out the plastic wrapper), and anything else they could find. The next evening (thursday I think) they got her some dog food and she scarfed down as much as she could get. Poor thing. She has been living in the pasture behind the house and has nearly starved. Her mouth is stained purple from eating berries and such, whatever she could find to stay alive. Every time they go outside she appears from behind my stepdad's shop or out of the pasture. Guess she's made that her home. They would keep her, but they don't have a fenced yard and are afraid she'll go out to the busy road in front of the house and get killed.
When they rubbed her ears she would cry, and they discovered she is covered with ticks and her ears are very sore. My stepdad found some flea & tick spray and soaked her with it, he's gonna get some dip today and dip her to get rid of all the ticks. Then he'll take her to the vet to get her started on shots, heartworm meds, frontline, etc. I'll probably go pick her up this weekend and bring her home with me.
I haven't seen a pic yet, mom is supposed to take one tonight and MAYBE I can talk her thru the whole attachment process so she can email it to me (she's NOT computer savvy AT ALL). Apparently she is "brown, with some black on her back" and is going to be a big dog, judging by her feet. The vet will give them some idea of age and breeds hopefully. She will be an outside dog, and will be an adjustment for my chihuahua who has a BAD case of the "only child" syndrome. He'll learn to get along, or she'll just grow up and beat the crap out of him.
I'm excited. Hopefully it'll all work out. If not, I may be posting a "WHO WANTS A DOG" thread. Like if she eats my garden or something.
I think I'll call her "Mia".

Mjcpr
4/17/2006, 10:48 AM
Good for you taking in the little guy!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

IB4OU2
4/17/2006, 10:50 AM
Good for you taking in the little gal!

I agree and she's a girl doggy MJ........:rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 10:52 AM

You send out thank you cards for sex now?

TopDaugIn2000
4/17/2006, 11:06 AM
I've always gotten my animals from a breeder so this is a new thing for me. Wish me luck!!!!! Mom says she is VERY sweet, hopefully she'll make a good dog. Wish a little sweetness would rub off on the chihuahua!!!!!

soonerbrat
4/17/2006, 11:08 AM
mutts are always the best dogs.

ousoonerfan
4/17/2006, 11:11 AM
I've always gotten my animals from a breeder so this is a new thing for me. Wish me luck!!!!! Mom says she is VERY sweet, hopefully she'll make a good dog. Wish a little sweetness would rub off on the chihuahua!!!!!

Our last three dogs have been strays/rescued and have been the best dogs. Annie, sheperd and beagle mix,died last Thanksgiving. She was ten years old and my wife's baby.
Ellie, black lab, is eight and great with our kids (5 and 2).
Roxy, golden retriever and hound, 13 weeks old and has the sweetest temperment. (She's my bird dog to be... I hope:) )

Anyway, congrats and good luck!

IB4OU2
4/17/2006, 11:16 AM
Our Lab/shepperd mix outweighs our miniature schnauzer by 80 pounds but the schnauzer is the Alpha dog.......he intimidates the lab for self preservation. It's pretty funny, The lab could take the schnauzer out in one bite....but just let's the schnauzer run the show.they're great buddies too.

TopDaugIn2000
4/17/2006, 11:22 AM
it'll take some time, but I think he'll get used to the new one.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/17/2006, 01:39 PM
Just watch The Dog Whisperer.
- You need to be the pack leader, so be the boss
- Affection does not mean hugging the dog or kissing it, it could mean giving it food, shelter and a leash to run on...
- Only give affection when the dog is calm submissive

slickdawg
4/17/2006, 05:10 PM
MEGASPEK to you for giving that baby a home!!!

:D

BajaOklahoma
4/17/2006, 05:48 PM
Congrats! And big dogs could be house dogs too. I have three of them.

TopDaugIn2000
4/17/2006, 06:35 PM
it depends on how well the chihuahua gets along with her. hopefully she can come in from time to time.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2006, 06:38 PM
it depends on how well the chihuahua gets along with her. hopefully she can come in from time to time.
do chihuahuas get along with anything?

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 06:47 PM
do chihuahuas get along with anything?

Granted I'm not a dog person, but my woman has a chihuahua and he's got a tremendously outgoing personality. That and he doesn't bark.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2006, 06:50 PM
Granted I'm not a dog person, but my woman has a chihuahua and he's got a tremendously outgoing personality. That and he doesn't bark.
Then it's an imposter of some kind.

There's a MIL gene in every one of those little naggers.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 06:55 PM
Then it's an imposter of some kind.

There's a MIL gene in every one of those little naggers.

He's neurotic to the core, but very sweet natured.

My brother and his wife have 3 of 'em. 2 of them need to be punted over the back fence while the 3rd one is actually very sweet. By my calculations, you have a 50/50 shot of getting a good one.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2006, 07:09 PM
He's neurotic to the core, but very sweet natured.

My brother and his wife have 3 of 'em. 2 of them need to be punted over the back fence while the 3rd one is actually very sweet. By my calculations, you have a 50/50 shot of getting a good one.
2 bad out of 3 would be a 33% chance of getting a good one.

Very optimistic IMHO.

walkoffsooner
4/17/2006, 07:13 PM
I took in a stray 6 months ago best dog Ihave ever had.I think it appreciates having a home and food.

BajaOklahoma
4/17/2006, 07:28 PM
My son and girlfriend took in a cat a ouple of months ago. I am a dog person, not a cat person (though I had cats when I was a child). This cat is so greatful for the life of ease it now has, it is almost dog like. It comes when it is called, hops on strangers laps for attention, loves belly rubs, lets kids play with it even when they aren't the most gentle.
It is terrified of my dogs - who are terrified of it (son's previous cat was from heJJ), And that is the worst that I can say about the cat.

We have huge crates for the mutts. We could actually put two of them in one of the crates, if needed. We did the crate thing for awhile, but rarely use it now. I do have them secured in a room as one of the them likes to eat things that weren't intended to be eatern. Crates aren't mean - Ben likes to go sleep in it sometimes, just for the peace and quite.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 07:40 PM
2 bad out of 3 would be a 33% chance of getting a good one.

Very optimistic IMHO.

I factored in mine as well. That's 2/4.

TopDaugIn2000
4/17/2006, 07:47 PM
I've had 2. they've both been mean little rotten animals but I love/d them.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2006, 07:51 PM
I've had 2. they've both been mean little rotten animals but I love/d them.
honesty spek

TopDaugIn2000
4/17/2006, 07:56 PM
my mom just called. they just figuered out the Mia is in fact a boy. oops.

think were now gonna name him Moses, you know, since he's been wondering around out in the wilderness all this time.

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 08:35 AM
Mom managed to take some pics, but only got one attached (and not a very good one). I'm gonna talk her thru sending more this afternoon so I can post some better ones.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3850/moses14qf.jpg

1stTimeCaller
4/18/2006, 08:55 AM
my mom just called. they just figuered out the Mia is in fact a boy. oops.

think were now gonna name him Moses, you know, since he's been wondering around out in the wilderness all this time.

Pat knew that yesterday.

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 08:58 AM
yeah, I know, she must have ESPN.

Mjcpr
4/18/2006, 08:59 AM
yeah, I know, she must have ESPN.
Boy dogs have weiners.

YWIA

I can also take pictures and attach them to emails. :D Not of dog weiners, just in general.

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 09:03 AM
Boy dogs have weiners.

YWIA

I can also take pictures and attach them to emails. :D Not of dog weiners, just in general.

yeah, thanks for that advice. My mom thought since he squatted to pee he was a girl. they got a view of the underside last night and discovered otherwise.

and computers are NOT her thing. she's an elementary music teacher. she sings and dances for a living.

Mjcpr
4/18/2006, 09:04 AM
I think all puppies squat to pee for a while......I could be wrong.

TopDaugIn2000
4/18/2006, 09:06 AM
yes. they are usually older before they learn to hike, and usually after another dog has showed them how.

TopDaugIn2000
4/19/2006, 09:03 AM
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5396/moses29gg.jpg

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6575/moses31zv.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6919/moses46jl.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9060/moses52am.jpg

Mjcpr
4/19/2006, 09:04 AM
Why is that person trying to choke it?

JohnnyMack
4/19/2006, 09:08 AM
Why is that person trying to choke it?

:les:SPCA!!!!!!!!!!

Howzit
4/19/2006, 09:10 AM
Sure is a lot of orange clothing in those pics. Anything you want to tell us?

1stTimeCaller
4/19/2006, 09:11 AM
and the other is tempting him with an empty plate. That's not nice.
But I do like how they are color coordinated with your dad's shirt and your mom's pants, that's cute. ;)

Mjcpr
4/19/2006, 09:12 AM
Does your mom have the flaming aggy logo on her orange toenails too??!! :mad:

Howzit
4/19/2006, 09:13 AM
YEAH, JUST BUY THE FREAKIN DOG A FREAKIN HOOK 'EM COLLAR WHY DON'T YOU!!!!1

TopDaugIn2000
4/19/2006, 10:18 AM
yeah, my light skinned blonde mother swears she looks good in orange, so she wears a lot of it. makes me sick. I don't own ANYTHING orange. And my step-dad wears whatever she tells him to.

and the plate was empty cause he had just scarfed down his dog food with some GRAVY poured on top.

walkoffsooner
4/19/2006, 11:30 AM
That looked like a box of rat poison

TopDaugIn2000
4/19/2006, 11:34 AM
High powered tick collar. Poor thing is covered with em. Apparently it's supposed to work better than anything else.

TopDaugIn2000
4/22/2006, 11:57 AM
parents took him to the vet this morning for his shots and stuff. said he's part golden part german shephard. gonna be about 70 lbs. and that he still has his baby teeth, so he's about 3 months old.

the biggest dog I've EVER had was about 15-20 pounds. YIKES!

Scott D
4/22/2006, 11:59 AM
so what's the over/under on him eating the rat eventually? :D

BajaOklahoma
4/22/2006, 12:14 PM
Big dogs are better. And 70 lbs barely makes it as a big dog, IMO.
Just remember that what is cute in a puppy isn't always cute as a 70 pounder - so don't encourage the lapdog stuff. Mine like to lay beside me, which is good as they are over 80 lbs each (Ben is over 100).

Congrats! He is a cutie.

TopDaugIn2000
4/22/2006, 12:50 PM
70 lbs is big to me, since I've only had small dogs. But I think I can get used to it. Even though I have a good sized back yard, I'll still have to walk him a lot to run out the energy.

Where is the dog park in Norman? As soon as I get him from my parents I plan on taking him there a LOT to get him used to people/other dogs so I don't have ANOTHER anti-social elitist bastage like the one I have now. (I know breed has a lot to do with it, but I've seen a few friendly chihuahuas, neither of mine though)

MamaMia
4/22/2006, 02:50 PM
TopDawg, thank God for people like you. I know you will both be great friends for one another. :)

TopDaugIn2000
8/14/2006, 07:13 PM
well, the parents ended up getting attached to this puppy and he was really turning into a great dog.
last night when I talked to Mom on the phone she said Moses was sick, that he had thrown up and was walking funny, sort of stumbling around. Said they'd take him to the vet today. Well, this morning he was worse, and while they were waiting on the vet to open he started having seizures and it went downhill from there. Ended up losing him. Poor guy. He was really gonna be a great dog, such a great personality and so loveable. Guess he had a better life in the past 4 months than he would have ever had. R.I.P Moe. you were awesome.

Tailwind
8/14/2006, 07:42 PM
Awwww.damn it! poor little thing. :(

BajaOklahoma
8/14/2006, 09:46 PM
So sad. I'm sorry.