PDA

View Full Version : Spankings in school

AllAboutThe'O'
4/16/2006, 11:15 PM
So I was talking to a coaching buddy of mine tonight and the subject turned to discipline in school. Even though I'm a few years older than him, and he graduated from high school in the early '90s, he maintains some "old-school" values. He also served time as a vice principal and one of his main duties was to carry around the ol' paddle and administer whippings to the unruly. While most schools have done away with the concept of "corporal punishment," he said that his school still took pride in doling out much-needed discipline to the unruly.
I remember my elementary school and junior high days when I could vividly remember the crack of the paddle. Especially in junior high, where the assistant principal went all the way with his paddle in which you could clearly hear paddle against posterior from one end of the building to the other. And no, if you're wondering, I was never on the receiving end of one of those beatdowns.:cool:
But it got me to thinking, how did your schools handle corporal punishment and are you still in favor of it today? After listening to him, I'm firmly in favor of a little c.p.

GottaHavePride
4/16/2006, 11:17 PM
My schools didn't do any of that. They probably should have, though.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/16/2006, 11:17 PM
Corporal? Heck, I'm in favor of Capital punishment for some of those little ones.

royalfan5
4/16/2006, 11:21 PM
I'm getting thread Deju vu on this one. FWIW, we haven't had corporal punishment in Nebraska schools for a long time, and all the teachers in my family (of which there are several) seem to indicate they do just fine without it. For the parents might be another case.

yermom
4/16/2006, 11:23 PM
as long as it's not abused and the parents are notified or consenting

i spent a whole lot of time trying to get out of school because i had a teacher that was too paddle happy in grade school

i still maintain my Napoleonic theory on elementary school teachers ;)

jacru
4/16/2006, 11:25 PM
Corporal? Heck, I'm in favor of Capital punishment for some of those little ones.
true dat!

bigdsooner
4/16/2006, 11:48 PM
i got my a$$ busted many time in school, mostly jr high and a few times in elementary. i always hated getting swats, but i had to learn the hard way. i still think they should be allowed, alot of kids need discipline in school cause their parents are pathetic, and wont deal with it at home.

the hardest swats i ever got were from my jr high principal mr jones, only time i ever got teary eyed

SOONER44EVER
4/16/2006, 11:51 PM
Getting spanked by teachers or principals was no big deal. Now getting whacked by a coach was a whole different story. :(

jacru
4/17/2006, 12:05 AM
When I went to school, alot of the Female teachers used to get the coaches to give swats for them.

BajaOklahoma
4/17/2006, 12:28 AM
I was boring - never even sent to the Principal.

Corporal punishedment isn't allowed in our district. But our district is known for letting parents make too many decisions and lawsuits from the few who didn't get their way.

crawfish
4/17/2006, 07:37 AM
I remember the principal at Longfellow Middle in Norman used to make you lean over and grip the desk, and he took five steps before hitting you with his 3-foot paddle. It also had holes in it to reduce air friction. :)

GDC
4/17/2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not opposed to it, but I taught for several years in a district where it wasn't allowed so I had to develop other ways to maintain discipline.

Kels
4/17/2006, 09:30 AM
I had teachers, Assistant Principals, and Coaches all wear me out with a paddle in elementary, middle school, and junior high.

Without a doubt, never leave your pads out in the locker room. Coach Thornton was worse than the rest of them combined.

IB4OU2
4/17/2006, 09:49 AM
I spanked my little brother's English teacher once...:eek: