PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered the Shelby Foote Civil War trilogy

royalfan5
4/16/2006, 05:09 PM
Some summer reading WOOT.

Okla-homey
4/16/2006, 06:45 PM
The illustrated verson Time-Life is pimping or the classic three volume set?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the bells and whistles, but I think it makes for more volumes and thus more $$$ for Time-Life. Methinks you can pick up a new boxed three volume set in paperback for under 50.00.

royalfan5
4/16/2006, 06:54 PM
The illustrated verson Time-Life is pimping or the classic three volume set?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the bells and whistles, but I think it makes for more volumes and thus more $$$ for Time-Life. Methinks you can pick up a new boxed three volume set in paperback for under 50.00.
I got used versions of all three in the original, for 35 bucks all told.

Okla-homey
4/16/2006, 07:05 PM
I got used versions of all three in the original, for 35 bucks all told.

great. Enjoy them. They are some of the best narrative history ever written in the English language.

That said, I've known my share of history Ph.D.'s who disparage ol' Shelby because he wasn't degreed in history. I always retorted with something like, "well, your scholarly volume on the 'Impact of Conscription on Federal Recruiting in Cook County, Illinois: Sept 1864-Feb 1865' published by 'Re-Cycled Doctoral Thesis Press,' while a stunning expose on the subject -- sold what? Four copies?" :D

Just history smack.

Between Foote, Ed Bearss, Bruce Catton and Douglas Freeman (none of which had history Ph.D.'s) there have been more important books sold by non-Ph.D's than by those with.

royalfan5
4/16/2006, 07:14 PM
I agree, I have read the Foote triliogy before but it's probably been 10-12 years. I enjoyed them throughly the first time.

jacru
4/16/2006, 07:34 PM
Just because you have knowledge of a subject doesn't mean you can write worth a damn about it.