PDA

View Full Version : OU Women's Hoops Off-Season Thread

AllAboutThe'O'
4/16/2006, 04:18 PM
Thought I would break the monotony of the various "Goodbye Kelvin/Hello Jeff" threads and talk a little about the Sooner women. ESPN.com has them at No. 6 in the 2006-07 preseason poll while the latest issue of Sports Illustrated has the Sooners ranked third behind Maryland and North Carolina, which surprises me, quite frankly, because we're ranked ahead of those blueblood programs at Tennessee, UConn and Stanford. Right now, I think we're closer to four or five than third but preseason rankings don't really amount to a hill of beans. Especially after who has won the national title the last two seasons.
Hopefully, the new recruits will be able to mesh with the returnees and it'll be interesting to see what Courtney can do after a full season of experience. If we can get great play from our guards and if we can stay injury-free (thankfully, we were able to do that last season), we've got a great chance of making the Final Four and perhaps win it all. Maybe we can go through another Big 12 campaign unscathed.

NormanPride
4/16/2006, 05:25 PM
How many of the new recruits will see significant playing time this coming year?

AllAboutThe'O'
4/16/2006, 05:47 PM
How many of the new recruits will see significant playing time this coming year?
Your guess is as good as mine.

badger
4/16/2006, 09:23 PM
Just trying to start conversation.

Hmm... Will they bring back the "make your own sign" promo? That was fun.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/17/2006, 12:48 AM
From what I've read, the girl from Chicago, and the Olajuwon girl both might crack the starting lineup.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/17/2006, 10:04 PM
From what I've read, the girl from Chicago, and the Olajuwon girl both might crack the starting lineup.
I'll take a stab at the starting five for next season, then:
G - Britney
G - Higgy
F - Leah
F - Thompson
C - Courtney
Ashley, Abi O., Kendra, Chelsi, Krista all coming off the bench. Wow, our second five could compete in the Big XII.

Ruuuuuufus
4/17/2006, 10:39 PM
I've seen Thompson live and she is a very very good player. Her game reminds me alot of Sophia Young.

With that said it's hard to say where she will fit in our offense next year. Could be a 3 or a 4...

The main things I would look for improvement over the offseason:
Brit maintaining the high level of play she finished.
Ashley getting alot stronger which should help with some of those under the basket issues, also possibly extending her short jumper range.
Erin creating more seperation behind the arc.
Kendra's continuing improvement with the outside shot, more of the same with her sparkplug tenacity, good defense.
Courtney FT

overall better defense. We allowed alot of points this year although alot of that was created by us scoring alot too :)

BudsBoy
4/19/2006, 09:23 PM
This team will only get better (move up in the finale poll) IF and it is a big if, one or more of the incoming freshmen can dribble and create her own shot. All of the returning guards are stand catch and shoot players and will not win anymore games than they did this year. Hopefully Hammond, Thompson or the Ark. girl can move and create open shots with the ball. That is modern BB and if you can't play it you do not play on the national level. Inside players do not win you NC. They can help out a bunch, but guards win the NC games. OU will be good to very good depending how far the guards can carry them. That was my quote at the beginning of the year and it applies to this year also.