PDA

View Full Version : My wife works with a genius

Okla-homey
4/16/2006, 09:30 AM
Friday, the departments at her horspital pooled their resources and did a Good Friday "pot-luck"

One lady brought in a bowl of hard-boiled eggs -- somewhat reminiscent of Napolean Dynamite at the egg farm I might add.

Anyhoo, one of my wife's fellow nurses opined that the eggs were beautiful and she wondered how the egg-boiling donor had managed to boil them and avoid any of the micro-crackage which normally accompanies egg boilage.

At that point, boiled-egg admiring woman attempted to peel one. Of course, you can imagine what happened. That's right, they were'nt boiled at all:eek: --which explained absence of hair-line cracks as well.

My wife opined that the donor had clearly brought the wrong bowl of eggs from home.

At that point, nameless genius stated, "well, maybe its just that one that's raw and the rest are boiled. Maybe we should check the rest."*

seriously.

Fortunately, egg donor was contacted, acknowleged her error and had son bring the bowl of BOILED eggs she had left in the fridge to the hospital.

*yes, she's a blonde.:D

Later, one of the old hands at work remarked about Ms. Egg Admirer: "That gal is just skin stretched over stupid"

proud gonzo
4/16/2006, 01:29 PM
heh

Soonerbabeinbama
4/16/2006, 03:26 PM
Hey, it's an honest mistake. I could see it happening and yes - I'm blonde!! The only problem I have with the dumb blonde is bringing a bowl of hard boiled eggs to a pot luck in the first place. Deviled eggs maybe, but just a bowl of hard boiled eggs? Yuck!! I always thought blondes had more imagination than that.;)

soonerhubs
4/16/2006, 03:47 PM
Later, one of the old hands at work remarked about Ms. Egg Admirer: "That gal is just skin stretched over stupid"
I've never heard that phrase before. Classic!

Okla-homey
4/16/2006, 06:51 PM
Hey, it's an honest mistake. I could see it happening and yes - I'm blonde!! The only problem I have with the dumb blonde is bringing a bowl of hard boiled eggs to a pot luck in the first place. Deviled eggs maybe, but just a bowl of hard boiled eggs? Yuck!! I always thought blondes had more imagination than that.;)

Well, to her credit, they were presented in a festive bowl with Easter-themed decor. I agree though, the only way boiled eggs should be brought to a pot-luck is in the form of deviled eggs on the proper serving piece -- commonly called a "deviled-egg plate," which every proper Southern woman gets as a wedding shower gift or inherits from her mee-maw.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/16/2006, 06:58 PM
Well, to her credit, they were presented in a festive bowl with Easter-themed decor. I agree though, the only way boiled eggs should be brought to a pot-luck is in the form of deviled eggs on the proper serving piece -- commonly called a "deviled-egg plate," which every proper Southern woman gets as a wedding shower gift or inherits from her mee-maw.
Question: were the boiled eggs dyed different colors in keeping with the Easter theme? I sure hope so. I'm just trying to picture everyone cracking open their eggs at the potluck with shells flying everywhere - or in the case of your wife's potluck - yolks flying everywhere. Yes, deviled egg plates are a proper southern thang. Since I'm an Okie by birth and not a true blue southerner - I inherited my deviled egg plate from someone else's meemaw - in the form of a yard sale!;)

Okla-homey
4/16/2006, 07:07 PM
Question: were the boiled eggs dyed different colors in keeping with the Easter theme? I sure hope so. I'm just trying to picture everyone cracking open their eggs at the potluck with shells flying everywhere - or in the case of your wife's potluck - yolks flying everywhere. Yes, deviled egg plates are a proper southern thang. Since I'm an Okie by birth and not a true blue southerner - I inherited my deviled egg plate from someone else's meemaw - in the form of a yard sale!;)

But you HAVE a deviled-egg plate!

Nope, just plain, undyed eggs. Evidently, the replacement eggs were boiled but also undyed.

jacru
4/16/2006, 07:50 PM
Blonde "genius" is a nurse?!:eek:
May I never be one of her patients.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/16/2006, 07:56 PM
But you HAVE a deviled-egg plate!

Oh hay-ul yes I have a deviled egg plate. I'd be booted out of the southern sisterhood if I didn't!!:D

MamaMia
4/16/2006, 08:57 PM
I make deviled eggs every Easter. I too have a deviled egg plate that I got as a wedding gift. :D

I have a great recipe to share, if ya''ll would like to have it.

Okla-homey
4/16/2006, 09:56 PM
I make deviled eggs every Easter. I too have a deviled egg plate that I got as a wedding gift. :D

let-r-rip

bigdsooner
4/16/2006, 10:01 PM

love deviled eggs, please share :)

MamaMia
4/16/2006, 10:22 PM
Okay. My pleasure. :)
It only takes about 15 minutes to make them but you need to chill them for an hour or two. I always double the recipe since the girls love them.

Deviled Eggs With Capers
6 large eggs, hard cooked and peeled
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon butter, softened at room temp.
2 teaspoons drained capers
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives (I grow my own but Super Walmart has them as well)
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste I like to use white pepper sometimes for a change, but any kind will do.

Paprika if you like. Its good for color.

Some Fresh parsley sprigs if you want.

Okay, you cut your eggs in half lengthwise and carefully remove the yolks.

Mash up your yolks

Stir in your mayonnaise and the next 4 ingredients.

Stir in some salt and pepper to taste. Spoon or pipe the egg yolk mixture evenly into egg white halves.

Cover and chill at least 1 hour or until you are ready to serve. Sprinkle with paprika and top with parsley sprigs, if desired.

If you're having company and want to serve them the next day its okay to make them the evening before hand.

-----

*I also have another recipe that I got from my granny for those of you who dont care for capers.

Grannys Tarragon Deviled Eggs with Chives
1 dozen large eggs, hard cooked and peeled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco or Louisianne is fine)
2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh tarragon (or you can use 1 and 1/2 teaspoon dried tarrogon but the fresh is better)
1/2 teaspoon salt ( I like to use the sea salt)
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
Garnishes with chopped fresh chives and some fresh flat leafed parsley sprigs or cilantro

Cut you eggs in half lengthwise and carefully remove your yolks.

Mash up your egg yolks and then stir in your mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce, and next 4 ingredients.

Spoon or pipe the egg yolk mixture evenly into egg white halves.

Cover them with some plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour or until they're ready to serve. Garnish with some parsley, if you like.

Let me know how you like them. :)

GottaHavePride
4/16/2006, 10:27 PM
I've never had deviled eggs, and I intend to keep it that way. The whole concept just seems unnatural. ;)

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/16/2006, 10:37 PM
These recipes are not for "deviled eggs." They are for stuffed eggs, which is a species of a completely different flavor.

Deviled Eggs absolutely must have some Deviled Ham in them, or they are not deviled eggs. To wit:

1 Doz. eggs, hardboild, peeled
2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp chives or green on-yons
Dash Salt
Dash Cayenne Pepper
1 can Deviled Ham, drained
If you don't have Underwood Deviled Ham in your area, then the meat from one pickled pigs foot will do (Black and Deckered). So will three slices of processed ham (B&D'ed). It's all the same...

Slice eggs in half lengthwise, remove yolks. Mash yolks with all other ingredients. Spoon carefully into egg halves. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Chill and serve.

MamaMia
4/16/2006, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=GulfCoastBamaFan]These recipes are not for "deviled eggs." They are for stuffed eggs, which is a species of a completely different flavor.

Deviled Eggs absolutely must have some Deviled Ham in them, or they are not deviled eggs. QUOTE]
Actually that is incorrect. Deviled means to prepare or cook with a spicy seasoning. It can be meat or eggs.

A deviled egg is a halved hard-cooked egg with the yolk mashed with mayonnaise and seasonings and returned to the white. It doesnt have to be deviled "ham" eggs, eventhough you could consider that a variation.

You even admitted such by contradicting yourself in saying "Deviled Eggs absolutely must have some Deviled Ham in them, or they are not deviled eggs", but then going on to say "If you don't have Underwood Deviled Ham in your area, then the meat from one pickled pigs foot will do (Black and Deckered). So will three slices of processed ham (B&D'ed). It's all the same..."

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/16/2006, 11:13 PM
Ok. You stuff'em.

I'll devil'em.

;)

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/16/2006, 11:36 PM
Wait...

He said egg donor. Did he not?

[perk]

jacru
4/16/2006, 11:36 PM
My egg usage is limited to: fried, scrambled, and cookie dough.