PDA

View Full Version : Colts should go "Ditka" and trade it all for Reggie Bush

JohnnyMack
4/15/2006, 10:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/bill_syken/04/13/scorecard.daily/index.html

Not a bad article. Indy would be pretty scary with him in the mix.

jacru
4/16/2006, 12:16 AM
They need a good back to make play action work and block. They don't need to sell the farm for Reggie Bush.

westcoast_sooner
4/16/2006, 08:13 PM
Uhhhh - no.

emoinwinter
4/16/2006, 08:47 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the colts (Chiefs man myself. Glad they signed Q), but it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to get a decent running back now, and then sell the farm next year for AD. I think he would be a greater asset than Bush to an NFL team.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/16/2006, 11:23 PM
Another huge Colts fan here...and believe it or not, I have joked around with friends about the possibility of doing this. Assuming you might only have to give up several picks and 1-2 players (not of elite quality), there's several great reasons WHY to do something bold:

(1) No more quality RBs in free agent market.

(2) Quality of RB available at #30. After Bush and D. Williams, you are looking at a Laurence Maroney or Brian Calhoun, assuming LenDale White is off the board or is passed on because of health concerns. I'm not a big Calhoun fan, because I think his Wisconsin numbers are misleading. Maroney might be ok, and he certainly has NFL quality attributes (size, breakaway speed, etc.). But there is no doubt that a Maroney would be in a RB-by-committee next year, as he's not ready to step in and contribute snap after snap. Which is what Indy needs....

(3) Time to win is NOW. Indy needs a back that can step in and deliver now, not 2 years from now. Manning, Harrison, and Wayne are all in the primes' of their career. The defense showed flashes of dominance last season. If Indy is going to make a real Super Bowl push, it must happen in the next 2-3 years.

(4) Bush isn't going to be an every-down back in the NFL, but with Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, and a back like Rhodes who can pound between the tackles (like White at USC) it would maximize both Reggie's potential on the field and make Indy, well, flat out ridiculously scary. It's a great fit for both Reggie and the Colts.

I think I'd have a heart attack, and this storyline is going to have to stay in my dreams.

snp
4/17/2006, 02:03 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the colts (Chiefs man myself. Glad they signed Q), but it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to get a decent running back now, and then sell the farm next year for AD. I think he would be a greater asset than Bush to an NFL team.

The Colts pass to their RB a lot. Something that AD hasn't shown he can handle, yet.

JohnnyMack
4/17/2006, 09:38 AM
(2) Quality of RB available at #30. After Bush and D. Williams, you are looking at a Laurence Maroney or Brian Calhoun, assuming LenDale White is off the board or is passed on because of health concerns. I'm not a big Calhoun fan, because I think his Wisconsin numbers are misleading. Maroney might be ok, and he certainly has NFL quality attributes (size, breakaway speed, etc.). But there is no doubt that a Maroney would be in a RB-by-committee next year, as he's not ready to step in and contribute snap after snap. Which is what Indy needs....

I like Brian Calhoun. I think Maroney is all-wrong for Indy's offense as he's much more of a N/S runner. I think trading for Bush isn't going to happen (it would be damn cool if it did) but that Calhoun might be an option (that wouldn't cost them the entire draft).

RedstickSooner
4/17/2006, 10:11 AM
(2) ... as he's not ready to step in and contribute snap after snap. Which is what Indy needs.

(4) Bush isn't going to be an every-down back in the NFL, but ...

My friend, you seem conflicted ;)

Sooner Among The Pack
4/17/2006, 11:12 AM
My friend, you seem conflicted ;)

LOL, I guess what I was trying to get at is that Bush would be able to step in and contribute positively to the offense, where Maroney or Calhoun might take some time to fit in.

Bush WON'T be an every down back in the NFL, and by that I mean, he won't CARRY the football every down. We can certainly split him out in the slot, though ;)

LSUdeek
4/17/2006, 11:18 AM
neither maroney nor calhoun are known for their receiving ability.

joe addai will go to the colts at #30 --- he is exactly what they need in a back. 4.39 speed, great blocking, and soft hands.

NormanPride
4/17/2006, 11:32 AM
I was about to post something snide, but I actually like that pick. He needs a bit more strength, but he's got the right style for Indy.

RedstickSooner
4/17/2006, 11:50 AM
Colts fans just have to hope the team doesn't fall into a fallacy:

1) We *need* a good ground game.

2) Reggie Bush is the best athlete to come along in a good, long while at the RB position.

therefore

3) We need Reggie Bush.

Important thing is to get a player that fits your schemes 'n whatnot. A good blocking back like Addai sounds like he'd fit the Colts' bill a lot better than Bush.

Nobody is so fast & ellusive that they can't be run down in the NFL -- which is why Ron Mexico has had to spend so much time improving his passing game. Bush has never been punished much because he didn't play every down in college, and when he *did* play, he kept away from contact a lot.

Taking him #1 overall means you're making him a franchise player. It's one thing to have a delicate franchise player at QB -- after all, offensive philosophy always includes protecting the QB -- but offensive philosophy rarely includes "protect the RB".

Flip side to the durability issue is that his ocassional use means he should be very healthy from a "lifespan of knees" point of view. Every-down backs like AD use up a decent number of their career footsteps at the college level.

RedstickSooner
4/17/2006, 11:52 AM
Oh, and I should add that I obviously don't know Bush will be delicate -- he's just smallish, and his ability to take punishment is an unknown at this point. That's all :)

sooneron
4/17/2006, 11:59 AM
Can the Colts afford him? I don't see Payton giving some cash back so they have Bush.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/17/2006, 02:55 PM
neither maroney nor calhoun are known for their receiving ability.

joe addai will go to the colts at #30 --- he is exactly what they need in a back. 4.39 speed, great blocking, and soft hands.

I seriously doubt the Colts will select Addai unless all the other backs are gone. Most scouting reports I've read has him between RB 5-6. If given a choice between Calhoun and Addai, I think I'd rather see Addai. I honestly can't say I've watched much of him, but from what I've seen, he doesn't seem to be as elusive and certainly won't be as shifty as Edge was. I'm not sure it's a terrific upgrade on Rhodes/Mungro.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/17/2006, 03:04 PM
Colts fans just have to hope the team doesn't fall into a fallacy:

1) We *need* a good ground game.

2) Reggie Bush is the best athlete to come along in a good, long while at the RB position.

therefore

3) We need Reggie Bush.

Important thing is to get a player that fits your schemes 'n whatnot. A good blocking back like Addai sounds like he'd fit the Colts' bill a lot better than Bush.

Addai fits the Colts scheme, but is really going to step in and produce off the bat? As a Colts fan, I don't want us to draft a back that "fits the scheme well" if it means it takes him 2-3 years to adjust to the NFL.

As I said before, we need to win now, and I'm not sure Addai is going to give you anything extra offensively, and like Calhoun, will probably platoon with Rhodes and Mungro anyway. I guess what I'm saying is...unless Indy gets one of the top 4 (Bush, Williams, White, Maroney), then our offense takes a huge hit in 06.

Indy dropped the ball on losing Edge and not securing a more seasoned back in the free agent market, and we are going to have to try and fill a huge hole in the draft. It may end up being the hole is too big to fill unless we trade up. A back like Reggie Bush or DeAngelo Williams will be able to fill that void faster and help provide more balance in the short term.

kelloggOUballa
4/17/2006, 10:15 PM
I'm telling you....Reggie Bush is not going to be a great NFL "running back"......he'll end up being a slot guy that gets some touches or a Dante Hall-type player. He's not worth trading everything for. Heck, I think H-Town is stupid for keeping David Carr.... Vince Young or even Leinart should be No. 1.

LSUdeek
4/29/2006, 09:42 PM
:D :D :D :D

Looks like Colts management feels the same way I did.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/30/2006, 01:41 AM
Ugh. I am going to have to hear some positive things about Addai in training camp to REALLY warm up to this pick.

Apparently Polian looked to trade up, and I think he could have gotten in a position to take Williams, but I guess to Indy it wasn't worth it.

LSUdeek, I REALLY HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT ADDAI. Super Bowl future depends on it.

okienole3
4/30/2006, 09:51 AM
I always thought Rhodes played well when Edge was hurt.

LSUdeek
4/30/2006, 03:53 PM
Ugh. I am going to have to hear some positive things about Addai in training camp to REALLY warm up to this pick.

Apparently Polian looked to trade up, and I think he could have gotten in a position to take Williams, but I guess to Indy it wasn't worth it.

LSUdeek, I REALLY HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT ADDAI. Super Bowl future depends on it.

Watch the 2006 Peach Bowl. It will tell you all you need to know. :D

Sooner Among The Pack
4/30/2006, 04:01 PM
I know he had a terrific Peach Bowl, but what puzzles me is....if he was such a terrific talent, why did Alley Broussard beat him out for starting job? Broussard would have gotten the majority of the carries this season, and I wonder if Addai would have been a 4th-5th round selection instead of a 1st.