PDA

View Full Version : So I'm fliipping through the guide on DirecTV . . .

Phil
4/15/2006, 02:12 PM
and I hit the BYU channel, which the guide says is showing college football. So I look to see the details and, horrors, it's the 1994 Copper Bowl!! Since I am taking a break from doing taxes, I figure I'll get a little more torture, so I tune there, only to see some retrospective on the life of some old lady. I don't know if it's a long commercial-type thing, or what, but I'm not seeing any Copper Bowl. Still - bastards!

jacru
4/15/2006, 02:34 PM
what lengths won't we go to for football in the off season?
we are to be pitied.:(

GDC
4/15/2006, 03:05 PM
Weird, I was at that game and was reminded of it yesterday because for some reason there is a trophy commemorating it in the Switzer Center. At the time, I really believed the program had bottomed out, and things could only get better from there.:(

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 05:16 PM
and I hit the BYU channelHMFIC, you can only access that when you have at least three Aggie Brides.:hmfic:

King Crimson
4/15/2006, 05:53 PM
i'd rather eat a cinder block than watch the 94 Copper Bowl.

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 07:02 PM
and I hit the BYU channel, which the guide says is showing college football. So I look to see the details and, horrors, it's the 1994 Copper Bowl!! Since I am taking a break from doing taxes, I figure I'll get a little more torture, so I tune there, only to see some retrospective on the life of some old lady. I don't know if it's a long commercial-type thing, or what, but I'm not seeing any Copper Bowl. Still - bastards!

Was her last name Hinckley?

My Father-in-law is a huge BYU fan and still says the King is evil for his statements about the pathetic schedule BYU faced to get there ring in the 80's.
It's funny he thinks anyone who wins championships is evil unless it's "his" team.

Poor Mormons... Oh wait... I'm Mormon. :eek:

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 07:05 PM
YMSSRA

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 07:08 PM
Was her last name Hinckley?

Is that the Hilsdale/Colorado City bunch?

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 07:13 PM
Is that the Hilsdale/Colorado City bunch?
No, that'd be Warren Jeffs.

Marjory Hinckley is our Church President's Late wife. The BYU channel sometimes shows specials on her life as well as President Hinckleys.

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 07:16 PM
Oops, sorry.

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 07:17 PM
Oops, sorry.
No prob. Saw Biglove the other night. My wife and I are going to start watching more. Thought it was funny.

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 07:17 PM
Didn't a sewage treatment plant get named after the King over that BYU remark?

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 07:20 PM
Didn't a sewage treatment plant get named after the King over that BYU remark?
Here in Utah? Maybe, but I'm really not sure. I'll look it up.

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 07:24 PM
Here in Utah? Maybe, but I'm really not sure. I'll look it up.Yup, in SLC I think.

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 07:27 PM
Turns out you were right (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2000/bowls/news/2000/12/05/orangebowl_flashback/)

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 07:35 PM
I'm always right.:D :O ;)

Nice linky, thanks.

BajaOklahoma
4/15/2006, 07:55 PM
I remember when they named it for Switzer. I think he got the last laugh though - his name on a piece of public property in Utah forever. They will never forget him.

I have a b-i-l who still hasn't gotten over the scores we ran up on his school. It's Vandy, for gosh sake, how do you not score lots of points?

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 07:58 PM
I remember when they named it for Switzer. I think he got the last laugh though - his name on a piece of public property in Utah forever. They will never forget him.
I like that. I'm going to go for a drive and find this wonderful land mark. I'll take some pics and post if there's a sign.

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 08:00 PM
And we have a stadium named after a Oklahoma native and Sooner player in asstin, but I am not really proud of that.

olevetonahill
4/15/2006, 08:15 PM
And we have a stadium named after a Oklahoma native and Sooner player in asstin, but I am not really proud of that.
:D

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 08:22 PM
And we have a stadium named after a Oklahoma native and Sooner player in asstin, but I am not really proud of that.Come to think of it, you gotta hand it to the whorns. They named their sewer after the piece of crap that floats in one.:texan: Hook 'em

olevetonahill
4/15/2006, 08:28 PM
Come to think of it, you gotta hand it to the whorns. They named their sewer after the piece of crap that floats in one.:texan: Hook 'em
thats BAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDD
I love it lol

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 08:37 PM
Olevet, you and I should be ashamed. Our HMFIC started a thread about BYU and we have jacked into another whorn-hating thread. TGINT

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 08:40 PM
Oooohhh that chaps my hide. I didn't realize that was the only game in the series vs BYU. (http://soonerstats.com/fb/series/details.cfm?OppID=115)

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 08:47 PM
Oooohhh that chaps my hide. I didn't realize that was the only game in the series vs BYU. (http://soonerstats.com/fb/series/details.cfm?OppID=115)That was the '90's. Thats like judging the history of mankind on the dark ages.

OKC-SLC
4/15/2006, 09:55 PM
Hubler, I think the switzer sewage thing is about a mile away from my house. About to run an errand; I'll check. Pictures if I'm right.

BajaOklahoma
4/15/2006, 10:04 PM

Shoot, I am doing my best to edumakate all them little whorns about their famous coach. I love the fact that one of the greatest whorns ever is actually a Sooner. It just kills the adults. :D

soonerhubs
4/15/2006, 11:36 PM
Hubler, I think the switzer sewage thing is about a mile away from my house. About to run an errand; I'll check. Pictures if I'm right.
Nice. Let me know. We'll hold a party there or something. :)

PhxSooner
4/16/2006, 12:53 AM
I was at that game with future in-law family. I have never been so bored and embarrassed at the same time. According to my brother who was in the Pride, the highlight for them was a chunk of the band getting food poisoning the day before the game.

Anyone want a Copper Bowl pin?:O :D

OKC-SLC
4/16/2006, 09:08 AM
Well, it wasn't where I thought it was, but I know I've seen it somewhere in town but I didn't know the story. I'm gonna look into it.

BajaOklahoma
4/16/2006, 09:42 AM

You guys need to take your families, in full OU gear, over there and get your picture made by the sign.
Get three big prints made and send them to the Athletic office. You guys sign one copy for Barry to keep and ask him to sign the others. Be sure to enclose a return mailer with postage attached.
I'll bet he will get a kick of out of this - and how cool is that?

OKC-SLC
4/16/2006, 10:08 AM
You guys need to take your families, in full OU gear, over there and get your picture made by the sign.
Get three big prints made and send them to the Athletic office. You guys sign one copy for Barry to keep and ask him to sign the others. Be sure to enclose a return mailer with postage attached.
I'll bet he will get a kick of out of this - and how cool is that?
We might need to blow the pictures up just to get all Hubler's kids in the picture.

I keed, I keed--Hubler, do you and Mrs. Hubler have any kids, by the way?

soonerhubs
4/16/2006, 03:37 PM
We might need to blow the pictures up just to get all Hubler's kids in the picture.

I keed, I keed--Hubler, do you and Mrs. Hubler have any kids, by the way?
Heh. My wives as well? Nope no kids. But we do have a little have a couple dogs. Should we plan this in couple weeks? Peem me and we'll iron out the details. That sounds like a great idea.

OKC-SLC
4/16/2006, 04:01 PM
Heh. My wives as well? Nope no kids. But we do have a little have a couple dogs. Should we plan this in couple weeks? Peem me and we'll iron out the details. That sounds like a great idea.
Heh, wives. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Damn.

I'm gonna call the city and find out where this is. On a tough month right now in STRICU at LDS, so not home much. I'll get with you when I find out where it is.

soonerhubs
4/16/2006, 04:22 PM
No sweat. Mid May should be better for me anyways.