PDA

View Full Version : Just saw an '06 CFB preview...

Octavian
4/15/2006, 11:29 AM
...on ESPN. Joe Schad said:

1. OU will play the SEC champ in the BCS NCG...

2. AD comes in slightly above Brady Quinn as the Heisman frontrunner...

Pretty high praise for this young squad. It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff can manage the expectations for a team lead by a Soph qb (who Schad just said could be "one of the best in the country")....and manage a schedule which features the three toughest opponents away from Norman.

In any event, whether you think that OU will actually get back to the big dance this year or not...who would've thought we'd be in the mix 6 months ago in mid-October? Much less the frontrunner in preseason conversations?

a little over 4 months to go...

Soonerus
4/15/2006, 11:38 AM
I did...

Octavian
4/15/2006, 11:41 AM
what? You are Joe Schad? ;)

Scott D
4/15/2006, 11:45 AM
no, he's Nate Hybl's best friend ;)

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 12:16 PM
I did... Yo mama told you!;)
http://www.tarses.com/gypsy.jpg

Soonerus
4/15/2006, 02:12 PM
no, he's Nate Hybl's best friend ;)

I let it go, I get mature, I move on, I even back-handedly give the guy (very) slight props once or twice...but some of my good friends on this board remind me forever...Oh well, it is better to be remembered for something than to be forgotten all-together.....

Scott D
4/15/2006, 10:30 PM
I let it go, I get mature, I move on, I even back-handedly give the guy (very) slight props once or twice...but some of my good friends on this board remind me forever...Oh well, it is better to be remembered for something than to be forgotten all-together.....

Hey, being infamous has to be good for something ;)

FormerSoonerProf
4/16/2006, 06:58 PM
If the OL does NOT open holes for AD or if they do not protect Bomar, we are done for.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/16/2006, 07:33 PM
If the OL does NOT open holes for AD or if they do not protect Bomar, we are done for.

nick?

emoinwinter
4/16/2006, 07:46 PM
If you go to ESPN, go to the college football section, and then listen to the Podcast under "ESPNU COLLEGE FOOTBALL INSIDER" they talk about OU. Sounds like basically the same thing was said on ESPN. You don't have to actually use iTunes to listen to it too. You can just listen to it online.

westcoast_sooner
4/16/2006, 08:21 PM
Too many questions and it's WAY too early. Let's see how fall practice goes.

I mentioned in my posts after the Red/White game that I thought that the guys looked sloppy, and after re-watching the game, I think they looked better than I originally gave them credit for.

But there are still significant questions to be answered. Will the OL be able to protect RB and open holes for AD? Will PT look as good at WR as he did in the Spring Game? Will the D be as tough as everyone expects?

And what are all these capital letters all about? :)

I like our chances of doing well this year, but the team has to perform on the field. The Sooners have a tough schedule, going to Eugene to play UO, and playing the last 4 of 5 on the road. If they run this gauntlet, then they may deserve to do what the 2000 team did, play for the MNC.

But that's a long way off. Let's see how Fall practice goes first.

GottaHavePride
4/16/2006, 10:51 PM
Hey, being infamous has to be good for something ;)

Yeah! Because that's more than famous.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/17/2006, 08:35 AM
Okay,

while optimistic over next fall's chances, I am not drinking the kool-aid and thinking OU will will out and play the BCS NC game, etc...I drank the kool-aid when we lost to USC, not doing it again...

Here's hoping to an excellent season!

Soonerman08
4/17/2006, 05:30 PM
Okay,

while optimistic over next fall's chances, I am not drinking the kool-aid and thinking OU will will out and play the BCS NC game, etc...I drank the kool-aid when we lost to USC, not doing it again...

Here's hoping to an excellent season!

I for one am remaining optimistic. I am more defensive minded myself, rather than offense. We don't have to be the best offense in the nation to win a national title, defense wins national championships. I would say that this is our best shot as far as national title defensive caliber talent. I am not going out and saying that our defense is national title caliber, (obviously we won't know this until the season) just that we are on the right track and have enough talent to get us one. Our secondary looks very promising, and as far as the other areas of the defense we need to be concerned with is the one question mark at Defensive Tackle where Dvoracek stood. As far as O-Line goes, I believe we are better off there than most people want to believe. With Cooper returning at center, and Messner, Robinson, and others coming in over the summer I am sure things will progress nicely.

KyleUT
4/17/2006, 08:48 PM
...Not going to comment on the OU portion of that...but I'd lay good odds against the SEC champ making it to Tempe.

MojoRisen
4/17/2006, 08:53 PM
Who would you start on the oline and who would be 2nd string with a chance to play..

Walker , Moore, Robinson, Braxton, Quin , Cooper, Messner , Baresi , Roark, Bailey, Schadt , White, Simmons, Beeler.

Other Freshman....

Here is my guess: I think our 2 deep is pretty damn good come Oregon...

Braxton Tackle
Mesner Tackle
Quin Guard
Robinson Guard
Cooper Center

Walker Tackle
Moore Guard/Tackle
Simmons Guard
Baresi Tackle
Roark Center

Beeler
Schadt
White
Bailey

soonerguild
4/17/2006, 08:54 PM
...Not going to comment on the OU portion of that...but I'd lay good odds against the SEC champ making it to Tempe.

I don't think anyone is gonna make it thru the sec without a tarnish, I could be wrong but it seems to likely that this conference will beat itself up.

goingoneight
4/17/2006, 08:56 PM

They gonna watch us play or what?

CatfishSooner
4/17/2006, 10:27 PM
We are gonna win it all next year....and the next 2...

Crimson Kid
4/17/2006, 11:34 PM
Im not counting my chickens, we got alot of hurdels ahead of us to worry about first.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/18/2006, 12:18 AM

What if we score more points than the other team?

You know what really bugs me? Why in hell do they call him AD? Shouldn't it be AP? His last name is Peterson, right?

shavedmarmoset
4/18/2006, 01:45 AM
You know what really bugs me? Why in hell do they call him AD? Shouldn't it be AP? His last name is Peterson, right?

Hey...yeah what's up with that?