PDA

View Full Version : unscientific poll re: boken ****

Ike
4/15/2006, 03:12 AM
First I'll start with the questions, and then explain why I'm curious as to the answers.

1) Suppose you have some piece of equipment around the house (say a vacuum cleaner, a consumer electronics device, a microwave, a computer, even a car, anything really. Something that you commonly use, and may or may not be expensive. Also, suppose that the item in question is no longer under warranty) that craps out on you. In which order do the following thoughts go through your mind, if at all.
a) Time to start hunting for a new one
b) Find out how much it will cost to get it fixed vs. how much a new one will cost
c) Take it apart/fix it yourself.
d) Find something else around the house that will get the same job done for a while until you have the money/time/energy to go get a new one?

2) At what percentage of the price of a new item would you consider having the old one fixed by somebody else, if at all?

3) If your answer to question 1 had C in the formula at all, at what degree of complexity does this not become an option. For instance, I'll take apart damn near any piece of electronics, and even most parts of my car, and easily be able to repair the most common failures, but if something like a fridge, or the AC goes out, I'm calling the repairman because I know the problem is most likely a compressor and I'm not about to muck around with those.

4) If you opt to repair something yourself and cannot quickly locate the problem, do you continue to take the item apart, knowing that you are most likely going to have to buy a new one anyway?

Anyway, I was curious about what most people here would answer to these questions because today I had not one, but two of the things we regularly use around the house decide that they just didnt want to work much anymore. The first was the AC unit. Today it finally got warm enough to turn it on, and of course we did, and nothing came out. The repairman said it had 'frozen up', which I thought was odd for it being a 75 degree day, but he said it was common actually. The second was my PS2. It got a case of the infamous DRE disease. So without even thinking, I popped it open, voiding the already exipired warranty, and within 30 minutes I was back to playing Gran Turismo 4.

All of this made me wonder a little bit about what the average hillbilly tolerance is for putting up with stuff when it breaks, and how the average hillbilly handles it.

My answers are:
1) c,d,b,a
2) less than 20%, and decreasing with recurrence of problems
3)as mentioned before, fridges, ACs, anything that might have dangerous materials with which I am unfamiliar. And Hard disks.
4) absolutely. spare parts!

VeeJay
4/15/2006, 03:32 AM
I believe the lack of responses here indicates that people who have been imbibing in spirits are reluctant to post on such a thread.

Ike
4/15/2006, 03:33 AM
or that nobody is up and I posted this at 3 am.

VeeJay
4/15/2006, 03:45 AM
OK - I'll take you up on it.

If it's something I think I can fix, I'll tackle it myself. At the very worst, I'll bollicks it up so bad it's gotta be replaced anyway.

If it's something that I feel like I've gotten my money's worth, I'll ditch it and get a brand new one. Like my lawn mower. They guy who sold us our house in '99 included a lawn mower. That thing must have been 20 years old. It was beat all to hell, but got the job done. Considering it was free, I figured I got my money's worth out of it. It was smoking so bad and the thing was dragging and cutting uneven - the self-propel mechanism crapped out. No way am I pushing that fugger around for an hour and a half.

PhxSooner
4/15/2006, 03:45 AM
My husband is an electrical engineer, so he will generally take a stab at things involving switches, DVD/VCR/video game stuff, etc. He avoids major appliances and most plumbing. We'll generally get stuff repaired, but once our major appliances hit the nine-year mark all bets are off, since the repair cost probably outweighs the worth.

When we've had ac/heater problems, the repair guys show him what they did, and he understands it, but would never try it himself.

boomersooner28
4/15/2006, 09:09 AM
I, am a lazy ***. I, can't fix anything....I break things. I am the guy you see with the door standing wide open holding broken object, and tossing it as far out into the yard/street as humanly possible. I like me. :D

BajaOklahoma
4/15/2006, 09:24 AM
There are repair books out there for some major appliances, such as washers, dryers, frigs and freezers. They can help you diagnose the problem also.
Mr. Baja will do some of the minor things on major appliances - and any dryer or washer repair. He will not touch the AC, the furnance, the microwave or the freon containing parts of frig/freezers. He can and has rebuilt lawn mowers. Our son can rebuild gas or diesel engines in vehicles.

Look at the age of the broken ****, the cost of fixing, likelyhood of something else breaking on it, cost of new, how much new & improved feature options mean to you, inconvenience to you if the **** breaks again.

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 10:27 AM
C on Plumbing, electrical, mechanical most electronics.

Baja, microwaves are easy. But then I was a radar thech in the Air Force.

yermom
4/15/2006, 10:31 AM
sometimes it doesn't even have to be broken for this process to start ;)

my TiVo and computer are good examples

if i had the tools and easy access to parts i'd probably fix more stuff myself

i am thinking off the top of my head that once i hit the 30%-35% range i start thinking i might as well buy a new one.

StoopTroup
4/15/2006, 10:58 AM
If the microwave is on the fritz...

I'll just go have a beer and tell the Wife to make me a Sammich.

olevetonahill
4/15/2006, 02:24 PM
If I cant fix it . Ill f--- it up so bad aint no one gonna be able to fix it :)

Flagstaffsooner
4/15/2006, 02:27 PM
If I cant fix it . Ill f--- it up so bad aint no one gonna be able to fix it :)If you'd try doing it sober...;)

olevetonahill
4/15/2006, 02:34 PM
If you'd try doing it sober...;)
there is that ;)

Vaevictis
4/15/2006, 02:41 PM
EDIT: Removed rediculously long quote I didn't mean to include.

1. Depends on what it is. If the object is a computer-type device, I'll usually crack it open and take a look. Anything that is "modern electronics" and costs less than $400 generally goes in the garbage bin if I can't fix it; if I can't fix it, it usually means that the cost to replace is essentially the same as the cost to repair (hooray for highly integrated electronics!). Any simple mechanical device, I'll take a look at. Complex mechanical (HVAC of any kind, vehicles) devices always get farmed out to someone for at least an esimate, unless the task is trivial (replacing headlights, fluids, etc). I almost never have spares around the house. I'm young, so I haven't had a lot of time to accumulate "extras".
2. Depends on the object, and it depends on what is getting fixed exactly. On some object, once a certain part goes, it's going to be a problem forever. Might as well just replace the whole thing at that point, unless fixing it is trivial and inexpensive. OTOH, some things are freak failures, and should never have happened to you in the first place, much less twice in one lifetime. Might as well spend quite a bit to fix that.
3. Actually, I just estimate how long it will take me versus how long it will take for a pro. I put a certain dollar value on my leisure time (~$35/hr right now, for every hour beyond the first), and if it costs more for me to fix it, I'll let the pro do it.
4. Normally, I'm so ****ed off by this point, that I don't want to look at the scraggling thing, so no, I just slap it back together again, and when I'm calmed down, I decide what I'm going to do.

Watch out for the DRE stuff, in my experience, once that happens, you need to expect that the PS2 will get so annoying that it's worth buying a new one just to stop dealing with it. My PS2 got to a point -- about 7 months after the first DRE -- where I had to adjust it manually EVERY TIME I wanted to switch between certain games (GTA3:SA and God of War, for example). If I have to spend 20 minutes fiddling with the innards every time I want to play a different game, it's time to get a new machine.

Ike
4/15/2006, 07:49 PM
Watch out for the DRE stuff, in my experience, once that happens, you need to expect that the PS2 will get so annoying that it's worth buying a new one just to stop dealing with it. My PS2 got to a point -- about 7 months after the first DRE -- where I had to adjust it manually EVERY TIME I wanted to switch between certain games (GTA3:SA and God of War, for example). If I have to spend 20 minutes fiddling with the innards every time I want to play a different game, it's time to get a new machine.

actually, this is very much like what was happening.

heres what I did:
popped it open, and removed the housing for the disc player.
cleaned off the laser with a dry q-tip. It was recommended to use a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol, but I didn't have any lying around the house. So I plugged it back in and tried several games. no problems at all.

I was prepared to make adjustments to the laser height and laser voltages. these turned out to be unnessecary.

so we'll see how long it takes for the problem to re-appear.

MamaMia
4/15/2006, 10:54 PM
1) B

2) 60%

3) N/A

4) N/A

My husband and I arent very good at repairing household appliances. I did fix a heating pad recently. I unscrewed the miniature screw and saw that the spring was dislodged. Anything more complicated than that and I simply give it to someone who is good at repairing things and just buy a new one.

Last August, after the TV repair shop here in town told me that they were unfixable, I gave away a Panasonic TV and a VCR. Both had been struck by lightening, eventhough I had Walmart surge protectors attached to them. I figured the person I gave them to may at least be able to use the parts since they're good at fixing things. I was happy to learn that he was able to buy a couple of inexpensive parts at the Radio Shack and fix them both in a matter of less that an hour or two. His daughter was able to take them to college with her. :)