PDA

View Full Version : Best announcing teams-all sports

royalfan5
4/14/2006, 06:06 PM
Pretty much all of Nebraska's are bad, especially our football pbp. However, I would like to nominate the Royals team of Denny Matthews and Ryan Lefervbe, they deserve a much better team to call. However, there sarcasm works well with all the losing.

Salt City Sooner
4/14/2006, 06:28 PM
I always liked Matthews & Fred White from back in the day for KC. As for my Yanks, I don't really care for Michael Kay, but I do like Jim Kaat, Kenny Singleton, & Bobby Murcer. Paul O'Neill ain't half bad either in the few times he gets to fill in.

Football- My favorite paring had to be from a few years back when Nessler & Danielson were together.

Basketball- Franklin & Sundvold, hands down. WHY did the idiots at ESPN break them up???

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2006, 08:17 PM
Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan
Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse the Body

soonerjoker
4/15/2006, 09:38 AM
Scully & (the late) Jerry Doggett

Morgan & Berman

Scott D
4/15/2006, 11:34 AM
MLB - Jon Miller & insert useless analyst here.
NHL - Mike Emrick & insert useless analyst here, followed by Jim Hughson & Greg Millen
NFL - back in the day Summerall and Madden (before they got super old)
NBA - Radio - Johnny Most, TV - Chick Hearn

GrapevineSooner
4/15/2006, 07:09 PM
MLB - Vin Scully, all by himself
NHL - *Homer Alert* Ralph Strangis and Darryl 'Razor' Reaugh
NFL - What Scott D said
NBA - What Scott D said, or anybody but Bob Ortegal as the analyst

AllAboutThe'O'
4/16/2006, 03:52 PM
Pretty much all of Nebraska's are bad, especially our football pbp. However, I would like to nominate the Royals team of Denny Matthews and Ryan Lefervbe, they deserve a much better team to call. However, there sarcasm works well with all the losing.
Thanks for joining the avatar revolution, rf5.:D
Here's some of my favorites:
MLB - Mark Holtz and Eric Nadel (Rangers). I grew up listening to those two and I would put those two up against any other MLB radio announcing tandem. Even before Holtzie died, things weren't quite the same when he moved to the TV booth. And Grapevine's right, Vin Scully as a one-man booth is absolute greatness.

NFL - Pat Summerall and John Madden. More from their CBS days than at FOX. I was too young to remember but old-timers swear that Summerall was better when Tom Brookshier was his analyst because they were close friends. I also liked the Dick Enberg-Merlin Olsen team on NBC.

NBA - Dick Stockton and Tom Heinsohn on the old CBS broadcasts. Not much of an NBA fan these days, but usually around this time of year you could count on two things: Playoff basketball at Boston Garden and Stockton and Heinsohn doing the game. I would put Marv Albert going solo up there, too.

College football - Call me old-school, but was there nothing better than hearing Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles do the big game each Saturday on ABC?

College basketball - Verne Lundquist and Bill Raftery on CBS is the best tandem today, hands down. Back in the day, listening to Al McGuire was a must. Also, the 1980s Dick Vitale was much better than the Dick Vitale of today.

Wrestling - Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan doing Prime Time Wrestling every Monday night on the USA Network.

soonerjoker
4/18/2006, 10:31 AM
i meant miller & morgan, not berman.

my bad !!!

i liked enberg & olsen.

mrowl
4/18/2006, 10:48 AM
MLB - Holtz

NHL - Ralph Strangis and Razor Reaugh (again, another homer alert)

NFL - what grapevine and scottd said

College Football - Nessler and who-ever...

King Crimson
4/18/2006, 01:51 PM
Jim Rose and whoever the other guy are truly awful doing NU football. and such unbelievable homers its insane. they will describe 3/4 of NU's players at one time or another during a b-cast as "one of the best [player position]'s in the nation."

and the ubiquitous: "a huge hole off tackle.....[screaming] AND A 2 YARD GAIN FOR THE HUSKERS!!!!!!!".

i used to like Dave Campbell doing Rockies baseball....now he's on ESPN's Sunday night radio. Scully is the best though.

i like Len Elmore and Gus Johnson for hoops. agree about Sunvold.

royalfan5
4/21/2006, 09:26 PM
Jim Rose and whoever the other guy are truly awful doing NU football. and such unbelievable homers its insane. they will describe 3/4 of NU's players at one time or another during a b-cast as "one of the best [player position]'s in the nation."

and the ubiquitous: "a huge hole off tackle.....[screaming] AND A 2 YARD GAIN FOR THE HUSKERS!!!!!!!".

i used to like Dave Campbell doing Rockies baseball....now he's on ESPN's Sunday night radio. Scully is the best though.

i like Len Elmore and Gus Johnson for hoops. agree about Sunvold.
You don't have to listen to Jim Rose every week. Also you forgot to mention Rose just making up yardage as in he's to the 25 the 30 the 35 and tackled at the 18 for a loss of 2. Plus he often calls the ball a chalupa, and contiunally references the players High School mascots.