PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday question

Penguin
4/14/2006, 03:17 PM
OK, we know that Good Friday is the day Jesus died. Then, three days later, he rose from the dead and killed Hitler.

So here's the thing. Good Friday to Easter Sunday is only 2 days. Shouldn't we have a Good Thursday?

SoonerInKCMO
4/14/2006, 03:17 PM
Heathen.

TexasLidig8r
4/14/2006, 03:18 PM
Killing an infidel is NOT murder.. but a path to heaven.

Fugue
4/14/2006, 03:19 PM
died Fri. 1st
in hell Sat 2nd
Rose Sun. 3rd

I'm guessing. :confused:

Dio
4/14/2006, 03:21 PM
(This post is made under the huge assumption your question was on the level, this being the SO and all)

Jesus said "On the third day..." not "Three days later..." So if Friday is day one, Sunday is the third day.

Hamhock
4/14/2006, 03:22 PM
died Fri. 1st
in hell Sat 2nd
Rose Sun. 3rd

"Today you will be with me in paradise" :confused:

Penguin
4/14/2006, 03:25 PM
died Fri. 1st
in hell Sat 2nd
Rose Sun. 3rd

So the Saturday betwixt Good Friday and Easter is called Go To Hell Saturday?

I always wondered what that day was called.

Penguin
4/14/2006, 03:26 PM
(This post is made under the huge assumption your question was on the level, this being the SO and all)

Jesus said "On the third day..." not "Three days later..." So if Friday is day one, Sunday is the third day.

Far be it from me to argue with my Lord and Savior, but that ain't 72 hours.

Fugue
4/14/2006, 03:27 PM
"Today you will be with me in paradise" :confused:

He dropped criminal off in Heaven before going south to take care of Hook 'em i mean the debil?

Fugue
4/14/2006, 03:28 PM
Far be it from me to argue with my Lord and Savior, but that ain't 72 hours.

doesn't it just have to be 49?

Hamhock
4/14/2006, 03:28 PM
He dropped criminal off in Heaven before going south to take care of Hook 'em i mean the debil?

You learn something every day?

StoopTroup
4/14/2006, 03:29 PM
Father, Son, Holy Spirit...

Figure it out. :D

handcrafted
4/14/2006, 03:34 PM
In Hebrew reckoning, any part of a day counts as a whole day. He was crucified early on Friday morning, buried that afternoon before the Sabbath started at sundown, in the grave from then until Sunday morning. Dio's right, it's "the third day", not "72 hours later".

And whether Jesus spent Saturday in hades (the land of the dead) or not, as well as what he might have been doing there, is a matter of some controversy. :)

For clarification, Hades is the land of the dead, Hell is the Lake of Fire which is only operational after Judgment Day.

BeetDigger
4/14/2006, 03:34 PM
Killing an infidel is NOT murder.. but a path to heaven.

So say the muslims.

Hamhock
4/14/2006, 03:37 PM
And whether Jesus spent Saturday in hades (the land of the dead) or not, as well as what he might have been doing there, is a matter of some controversy. :)

Agreed, but unlike some teachers claim, Jesus did not complete the work of atonement during the three day period. That was done on the cross.

Penguin
4/14/2006, 03:43 PM
So what was he doing on Saturday? Hanging out with Xenu?

Hamhock
4/14/2006, 03:43 PM

How did you know?

Vaevictis
4/14/2006, 03:45 PM
For clarification, Hades is the land of the dead, Hell is the Lake of Fire which is only operational after Judgment Day.

I always thought Hades was a Greek/Roman pagan thing.

Howzit
4/14/2006, 03:48 PM
OK, we know that Good Friday is the day Jesus died. Then, three days later, he rose from the dead and killed Hitler.

So here's the thing. Good Friday to Easter Sunday is only 2 days. Shouldn't we have a Good Thursday?

It's an underpublicized New Testament miracle. God slipped an extra day between Friday and Sunday.

handcrafted
4/14/2006, 03:50 PM
I always thought Hades was a Greek/Roman pagan thing.

OT Judaism always had the concept. The Hellenistic Jews adopted the name from the Greeks. And the Jewish belief in the afterlife has gone through many changes. Some don't believe in any afterlife at all, some believe that everyone who dies goes to the same place to await the final resurrection, and some believe evil people go to Hades and good people go to be with the Lord and hang with the prophets (Moses, Abraham, Elijah, those guys).

colleyvillesooner
4/14/2006, 03:51 PM
Somehow, I think this is responsible for all our 11:00 a.m. kickoffs.

ChickSoonerFan
4/14/2006, 04:04 PM

I think He was looking for some keys. Really. Some very important keys.

Penguin
4/14/2006, 04:11 PM
I think I found my answer to what Jesus was doing on Saturday. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell)

sooneron
4/14/2006, 04:16 PM
Somehow, I think this is responsible for all our 11:00 a.m. kickoffs.
YMSSRA...

sooneron
4/14/2006, 04:18 PM
This just in, Wikipedia has friggin EVERYTHING!

Actually, I have a question, b/c I forgot and have lost my way. What is the deal with red meat?

Boomerbrad
4/14/2006, 04:36 PM
Since the earliest days of the Catholic Church, on every Friday throughout the year, Catholics are required to do some kind of penance. Most Catholics do not eat meat on Friday as a penance. As far as research says, no Pope introduced this practice, but it gradually became a practice.

Abstaining from something helps us refocus on what is important and it cuts out the things that might have seemed important. By abstaining, we have better ability to concentrate on God.

During the Season of Lent, however, the Catholic Church asks Catholics to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Catholics also should carry on the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays through Lent.

One belief of why meat was chosen is because most people feel that giving up meat (beef and chicken) is an inconvenience. The Church asks us to inconvenience ourselves sometimes to serve as a reminder that they should always have God as a top priorty and pleasures as a lesser priorty.

Another belief is that in many poorer countries, beef is a specialty. For us to give it up, helps us to remember about people who are less fortunate than we are.