PDA

View Full Version : N.O. newspaper story: Hornets' OKC experience better than expected

TUSooner
4/14/2006, 09:55 AM
Copied and pasted for your convenience:

Hornets' OKC experience better than expected
'Oklahoma City' jerseys to be worn tonight
Friday, April 14, 2006
By John Reid
Staff writer
OKLAHOMA CITY -- When the decision was made in September that the Hornets would play 35 of their 41 home games in Oklahoma City, backup point guard Speedy Claxton wasn't thrilled with the prospect. He thought it would be the equivalent of playing an 82-game road schedule.

Team officials and the NBA agreed to make the Sooner State the Hornets' temporary home after Hurricane Katrina devastated the New Orleans area Aug. 29 and damaged New Orleans Arena.

Now, with the regular season almost complete, Claxton and his teammates have grown to like their temporary home because of the large crowds that consistently have packed the Ford Center for every game. The Hornets will return next season to play a 35-game schedule at the Ford Center; six games will be played in New Orleans. In 2007-08, they return to New Orleans to play a full 41-game schedule.

Tonight, the Hornets play their final regular-season home game against the Utah Jazz at the Ford Center. For the Hornets, seeded 10th in the Western Conference playoff race, to avoid elimination from postseason contention, they have to win three of their final four games -- including victories over the Jazz, seeded ninth, and Sacramento Kings, who are eighth. The Hornets play the Kings on the road Sunday.

Another sellout crowd is expected tonight, which would be the Hornets' 18th at the Ford Center. After 40 games, the Hornets rank 11th in the league in attendance with an average of 18,143 per game.

"The crowds here have been great, and everything has been much better than I thought it would be," Claxton said.

To thank fans in Oklahoma City for their support, the Hornets will wear specially designed jerseys for tonight's game that will feature "Oklahoma City" on the front and include a "NOLA" patch on their right shoulder to represent New Orleans.
For all home games this season, the team has worn white jerseys with "Hornets" stretched across the front, with an "OKC" patch over the right shoulder.

After the game, the Hornets plan to auction off the jerseys to raise money for its "Hoops for Homes" program in New Orleans.

"This is to say 'thank you' to a town that has welcomed and given us a temporary home in time of our greatest need," Hornets president Paul Mott said Thursday.

The Hornets had sellout crowds for two of the three games played at the Arena in March. They played the Phoenix Suns at LSU's Pete Maravich Assembly Center in Baton Rouge on Dec. 16 and Jan. 13, and they played the Kings at the University of Oklahoma's Lloyd Noble Center in Norman.

The Hornets were the first team to play home games at four sites since the 1974-75 Boston Celtics played games in Providence, R.I., Springfield, Mass., and Hartford Conn., and Boston Garden to reach out to fans in the New England region.

"I just never imagine it would go as good as it's gone," Hornets coach Byron Scott said. "At first I was under the impression, like Speedy, that basically what the NBA has done has put us on the road for 82 games. But in hindsight as you look back, this has been a tremendous home-court advantage. These fans have been unbelievable.

"The 34 games we've played here have definitely been a home-court advantage. I thought it would take us a lot longer to adjust. But we were all here together and only had each other to lean on, and that helped us develop the type of chemistry we have on this basketball team."

The Hornets are 21-13 in Oklahoma City, including victories against the defending champion San Antonio Spurs, Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat.

"This crowd was awesome, probably one of the top-five arenas in the NBA by far," Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James said after Monday's 103-101 victory at the Ford Center.
"If they don't get to the playoffs this year, they should be real excited about next year, because it's a great atmosphere here."

In October, when the Hornets first arrived in Oklahoma City, they took buses daily to training camp so the players wouldn't get lost finding their way to the Sawyer Center practice facility in Bethany, Okla., which is located just outside of Oklahoma City.

When Scott held his first practice at the Ford Center, he scheduled it an hour earlier to give players extra time to find the venue.

But once the games started, the Hornets took a special liking to the fan support.

"I remember our first preseason game seemed like a regular-season game because they were loud and just cheering with a lot of energy and excitement," forward P.J. Brown said. "Just from that game, I knew this was going to be a nice experience."

Forward Rasual Butler made the quickest adjustment to living in Oklahoma City. He has an aunt who lives in the area.

"It was never really like playing a road game here, because you feel comfortable with the fans," Butler said. "We're professional athletes, and no matter what the environment is, you are paid to do a job.

" Knowing that this was a college-type town and they've always supported OSU (Oklahoma State) and OU, they were pretty much thirsty for a professional franchise of some nature. With us coming here, I thought we would get that type of support, but I didn't think they would be this loud."

slickdawg
4/14/2006, 09:59 AM
I hope they don't return to NOLA. OKC loves 'em, NOLA never gave them this
level of support, and NOLA needs to focus on getting its **** together.

OklahomaTuba
4/14/2006, 10:04 AM
They would be stupid to return to NOLA. The State has embraced that team at this point, as I am seeing Hornet stuff here in Tulsa and hear about people going to the games at work.

soonerbrat
4/14/2006, 10:05 AM
I think they'll stay.
I hope they'll stay.

they say if the hornets go back to NOLA, OKC will get another team..but i'm attached to the hornets...i don't know if i could cheer for another team :(

Beef
4/14/2006, 10:07 AM
The Supersonics might be in OKC's future. Or just be used as a bargaining tool to get a new arena in Seattle.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2407965

slickdawg
4/14/2006, 10:07 AM
They need to stay in OKC!

NOLA never really embraced them, nothing like OKC has.

The Saints are NOLA's team, and they are back and secured. Focus on
rebuilding and recovery, watch the Saints, and move on.

picasso
4/14/2006, 10:36 AM
sorry folks but there's a story in the Tulsa World this morning where Stern says they'll be going back to New Orleans.

proud gonzo
4/14/2006, 10:37 AM
I never got the chance to go to one of their games

OUDoc
4/14/2006, 10:45 AM
sorry folks but there's a story in the Tulsa World this morning where Stern says they'll be going back to New Orleans.
I read that, I'm wondering if it's just talk. I know one person associated with the program who just bought a house here last week, anticipating a long stay in OKC. We'll see.

GottaHavePride
4/14/2006, 10:47 AM

And they'll keep saying that right up to the point that a bunch of people from OKC and Tulsa buy the team and move it here...

JohnnyMack
4/14/2006, 10:48 AM
I don't see why they don't move to Tulsa. Tulsa has hills after all.

TUSooner
4/14/2006, 10:50 AM
As one who never went to a Hornets game in NO or OKC - and probably never will - I hope they stay in OKC. For New Orleans, getting them back seems to be merely an issue of pride. The reality is that there are not enough die-hard fans in NO to support the team like OKC can - at least not yet, and maybe not for several years.

picasso
4/14/2006, 10:51 AM
Stern says Hornets to leave OKC
By The Associated Press
4/14/2006

Commissioner also says Seattle is not interested in keeping the NBA in its city.
NEW YORK -- David Stern said Thursday that the Oklahoma City / New Orleans Hornets will return to New Orleans, even if investors from Oklahoma buy a minority share of the team from George Shinn. Stern said he didn't know how the Hornets would get out of their lease with the city.

"I have no idea," he said, "because we're not planning to break it."

The Hornets, who have played a majority of their 2005-06 games in Oklahoma City due to Hurricane Katrina-related damage in New Orleans, are 38-40 this season with four games remaining. The Hornets play Utah at 7 p.m. Friday in their regular-season home finale at the Ford Center.

The Hornets will play most of their home games next season in Oklahoma City, with plans to return to New Orleans full-time for the 2007-08 campaign.

The NBA commissioner also touched on the Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle SuperSonics during a conference call.

Stern has said the Sonics' lease with the city is the worst in the NBA, and he went to Seattle in February to ask Washington state lawmakers for tax money to renovate Key Arena. Sonics owner Howard Schultz, the chairman of Starbucks Corp., has threatened

to move or sell the team if state lawmakers don't approve a sales-tax package to pay for a new or renovated arena. But state lawmakers last month said there would be no deal this year.

"I would say that the city is making it pretty clear of what they want us to do, and we'll accommodate them," Stern said.

Asked what that meant, Stern responded: "What I mean is they're not interested in having the NBA there. . . . I think that the existing ownership has said they don't want to own a team that's not in Seattle, so I know what they're in the process of doing. So we'll . . . see how this play ends."

Also, Stern said he would "never say never" to getting involved again in the situation in Portland. The NBA recently pulled out of the process of trying to help find one buyer for both the Trail Blazers and the Rose Garden.

Jimminy Crimson
4/14/2006, 10:54 AM
http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/images/sports/a14horn01.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/hornets/mason_060414.jpg

Yeah, buddy!

TUSooner
4/14/2006, 11:06 AM
http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/images/sports/a14horn01.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/hornets/mason_060414.jpg

Yeah, buddy!
That looks good.

soonerbrat
4/14/2006, 11:37 AM
i don't want the stupid sonics

Jimminy Crimson
4/14/2006, 11:45 AM
i don't want the stupid sonics

Ship 'em to New Orleans! :D

soonerbrat
4/14/2006, 11:49 AM
GOOD IDEA!

you're such a genius.

boomersooner28
4/14/2006, 01:15 PM
It sucks, but they will be going back to NO. The good news is that OKC IS going to get a team, and probably by the time that the hornets leave town.....the thing that sucks is that it will probably be a team with a lot less talent. (Sonics)

BigRedJed
4/14/2006, 01:25 PM
It sucks, but they will be going back to NO...
I disagree.

Boarder
4/14/2006, 01:40 PM
I disagree with your disagreement. I just don't think they can send out the PR hit that relocating the team would send.

No matter how "no-brainer" it seems that they should stay.

yermom
4/14/2006, 01:42 PM
I disagree.

it doesn't suck?

Jimminy Crimson
4/14/2006, 01:55 PM
I disagree with your disagreement. I just don't think they can send out the PR hit that relocating the team would send.

I'm sure all 10 New Orleans fans will get over it. :)

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/14/2006, 01:57 PM
Is that the first time and Aggie has been on this board and good stuff was said about him??

Stoop Dawg
4/14/2006, 02:30 PM
Rick and Brad were talking about how no one would by season tickets next year because of the announcement that the Hornets were going back to NO. I don't get it. Didn't we always know they were going back? Was there ever any real indication from anyone that had any say in the matter that there was even slight consideration of staying in OKC? I know there was a huge amount of wishful thinking by OKC fans, but that's hardly any reason to be all upset.

Boarder
4/14/2006, 03:15 PM
Rick and Brad were talking about how no one would by season tickets next year because of the announcement that the Hornets were going back to NO. I don't get it. Didn't we always know they were going back? Was there ever any real indication from anyone that had any say in the matter that there was even slight consideration of staying in OKC? I know there was a huge amount of wishful thinking by OKC fans, but that's hardly any reason to be all upset.
From what I've heard, they're selling tons of season tickets and most people are trying to upgrade.

I'd love them to stay, but I really don't think they'll be gone. At least year after next.

85Sooner
4/14/2006, 03:16 PM
Can't wait til they go back to NO and only about 5K people show up.

Dio
4/14/2006, 03:33 PM
I'm working under the assumption that they'll go back to NOLA after next season, so I better see them play as much as possible while they're here. The original plan was just for them to be here this year, so next year and anything else we might get is (white) gravy. Of course, I'd be more than happy if they stayed here permanently, especially after listening to the ******tards on HR.com.

BigRedJed
4/14/2006, 05:13 PM

Find me at the yogurt stand and I'll tell you a few things that will blow your mind.

BigRedJed
4/14/2006, 05:18 PM
In other words: I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. And, BTW, it can and will be orchestrated in such a way that there is a minimal PR hit for everyone concerned.

Jerk
4/14/2006, 05:21 PM
They would be stupid to return to NOLA. The State has embraced that team at this point, as I am seeing Hornet stuff here in Tulsa and hear about people going to the games at work.

Yeah, I have thought that if they stay here, maybe they should name their team the "Oklahoma Hornets"

BigRedJed
4/14/2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I have thought that if they stay here, maybe they should name their team the "Oklahoma Hornets"
I agree. As soon as the City of Tulsa ponies up in the same way that the City of OKC has financially.

ultimatesooner1
4/14/2006, 06:24 PM
Shinn has bought one house here and is reportedly having another built so hopefully that is a good sign. I didn't watch the NBA and only planned on going to the games to see other teams and have drinks in the club level but I have become a Hornets fan this year. I hope we get to keep them

tulsaoilerfan
4/14/2006, 06:35 PM
I'm not a big NBA fan, but we took the kid and one of his buddies to see the Mavs back in November, and i must say seeing it in person was 20x better than watching it on the tube; i hope they stay so we can do it some more in the future.

RacerX
4/14/2006, 10:54 PM
I agree. As soon as the City of Tulsa ponies up in the same way that the City of OKC has financially.

F Tulsa.

BigRedJed
4/19/2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I was obviously speaking in jest. I'm amazed at the calls by some T-town folks to either split the schedule or to somehow involve them in the deal beyond selling them tickets.

I think it's a great entertainment option for Tulsans, and the more of them that come to games the better. But you know what? A lot of OKC residents go to Mavs, Cowboys, Rangers and Stars games too, and don't demand that "Oklahoma" or "Oklahoma City" be included in those teams' names, or that games be scheduled here.

The fact is, the City of Oklahoma City and the OKC business community put major cash on the line to bring this team here. The citizens of OKC responded by making the team one of the best attended in the league, even with the ****tily-attended Baton Rouge games factored in. What should we get in return? Some promotional value for our city, and by extension and to a lesser degree our state.

Tulsa is going to have a kickass arena soon, considerably nicer architecturally than the Ford Center in fact. But until that city more or less doubles in population and gets something going economically, they need to just count their blessings that an NBA team is only an hour and a half down the turnpike.

That's nothing against T-town, I'm only saying that OKC doesn't owe them (or anyone else) ****. OKC pulled itself up by its own bootstraps over the past decade and a half, and is now reaping the benefits of its own labor.

Other cities should take note.

royalfan5
4/19/2006, 11:28 AM
If you guys get the Hornets, I would hope that you make sure you get them by buying the worst owner in the NBA out. He managed to screw up the hoops hotbed of Charlotte, and thought it was a good idea to move to New Orleans. Stern wants this guy to sell the team badly but he can't make him. George Shinn makes Donald Sterling look like a quality NBA owner.

Mjcpr
4/19/2006, 11:38 AM
I don't recall seeing or hearing any of those demands by any Tulsans that I know.....doesn't mean none have, just that I think it's far from a majority.

I'm glad OKC has the Hornets and I hope they get to keep the Hornets. I'm for whatever is good for Oklahoma and if the Hornets shed a little positive light and a few bucks on the state, then I'm all for it. But I could give a **** what they're named or if they play in Tulsa because I'm not enough of an NBA fan to attend the games wherever they are.

Jimminy Crimson
4/19/2006, 11:41 AM

A local baseball team did that exact thing. Their worst move ever, overshadowed by their move to the nations finest minor league park.

Mjcpr
4/19/2006, 11:42 AM
A local baseball team did that exact thing. Their worst move ever, overshadowed by their move to the nations finest minor league park.

Not to mention the USFL football team.

BigRedJed
4/19/2006, 11:46 AM
I don't recall seeing or hearing any of those demands by any Tulsans that I know...
Yeah, I'm certainly not saying it's been a majority, but there have been a few comments like that from some Tulsans either in the media or on various message boards.