PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else grow up hating Duke?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2006, 12:31 AM
It weirds me out having a former Dukie coaching our team because quite frankly i hated their guts....Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Thomas Hill, Chris Collins, Bobby Hurley, Danny Ferry, Trajon Langdon.....and yes i hated Jeff Chapel too...I m not sure why but I know I really despised him...

I remember being very happy when Arkansas beat them because..
1. I hated Duke
2. I love fat basketball players-Oliver Miller

SOONER44EVER
4/14/2006, 12:44 AM
I pretty much hate any team that wins all the time except OU. I don't hate Duke nearly as much as I did a few years ago.

OUGreg723
4/14/2006, 01:06 AM
I love Coach K, but I hate spoiled, rich white kids only private schools (duke, ND, etc). So I never root for Duke. I dont despise them like some other schools though.

bigdsooner
4/14/2006, 01:17 AM
F**K dook...i like coach k and coach capel. anything else from dook blows

TopDawg
4/14/2006, 01:21 AM
I've always liked Duke.

OUGreg723
4/14/2006, 02:07 AM
The dookies I like are Coach K, Coach C, and Grant Hill.

sooner518
4/14/2006, 07:20 AM
ive always liked them. I never understood the hatred for them. their basketball program is what everyone else wishes they had at their school.

oumartin
4/14/2006, 07:38 AM
Never pulled for them cept when they wiped the floor with texas.

I will however say I am glad we landed Coach Capel!

jk the sooner fan
4/14/2006, 08:27 AM
i always liked them......clean program, the players were never thuggish, they were just good

sanantoniosooner
4/14/2006, 08:30 AM
Coach K is the closest thing to Wooden my generation has seen. Most who hate them would switch places with them in a moment. (STRICTLY BASKETBALL- they suck horribly at football and should be pitied.)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/14/2006, 08:39 AM
I'm not so much bothered by Duke as I am about Duke fans and the media like Vitale and Digger who essentially fellate Dook every time they are on TV. I'd like to see Duke go 10-20 one year just to see how crazy the Cameron Crazies really are.

scotplum
4/14/2006, 09:37 AM
Ever since Laettner stepped on the Kentucky guy and wasn't given a technical, I've hated Duke. Laettner shouldn't have even been in at the end of that game to hit that miracle shot. That being said, my dislike for Duke is mainly irrational so I can get over it pretty easily. I'll still root for them to have an early exit from the NCAA tourney every year.

usmc-sooner
4/14/2006, 10:43 AM
I couldn't stand Laettner but never had a problem with Duke although I usually root for the underdog in the tournament so I root against Duke a lot, if that makes any sense.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/14/2006, 10:47 AM
While I do think the Dook Lacrosse team was probably not guily in the rape accusation I do think that they are guilty of being Lacrosse players so there's another strike against them.

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 10:55 AM
LOL I carry a big stick... with a dream catcher on the end of it!

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2006, 12:16 PM
LOL I carry a big stick... with a dream catcher on the end of it!

LOL...Hilarious

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/14/2006, 02:15 PM
i don't like them for the simple reason of their 3 year "basketball" degree. it has generated an insanely unfair recruiting advantage for them. hey, your boy only has to stay 3 years at duke and he can graduate with a degree and go to the pros.

NormanPride
4/14/2006, 03:40 PM
i don't like them for the simple reason of their 3 year "basketball" degree. it has generated an insanely unfair recruiting advantage for them. hey, your boy only has to stay 3 years at duke and he can graduate with a degree and go to the pros.

Saywhat? Care to explain? Why can't we do this? :D

Scott D
4/14/2006, 05:56 PM
I respect the hell out of Coach K. But I've hated the Dukies ever since Bobby Hurley was a senior at St. Anthony's High School in NJ. Ironically I didn't ever hate Seton Hall where the guy who was actually responsible for my season ending shoulder injury attended. Namely because I blame Hurley for it :mad:

bigdsooner
4/14/2006, 08:29 PM
i hate them for the same reasons all the losers hates OU football...their success. it really ****ed me off after the kentucky game and seeing thomas hill (?) cryin like a lil bitch after the game. how the hell can they be so good for so long. i really like coach k though, best college b-ball coach ive ever seen

stoopified
4/15/2006, 01:49 AM
Not me.UCLA yes,UNC yes,KU yes,Indiana yes but Duke no.

OUstud
4/15/2006, 12:17 PM
Can we technically call Capel "Coach Ca/K"?

GDC
4/15/2006, 01:52 PM
I hate them, but I once snuck into Cameron and shot hoops until security ran me out. I then went down to the Dean Dome and looked around.

SleestakSooner
4/15/2006, 01:56 PM
Saw the Greatful Dead in the Dean Dome once even though I can't stand the Tar Heels I had a good time. ;)

I have always respected Duke Bball and thought highly of their program, but this season it got old what with hearing every ESPN announcer and broadcaster saying JJ every two minutes and being reminded of Sheldon (the one that got away) Williams with each game they broadcast.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/15/2006, 03:56 PM
with our history with top high school players lately,sheldon would have transferred after his freshman year anyway

sooner518
4/15/2006, 04:46 PM
I was in Raleigh for business earlier this year and made it out to Duke, coincidentally the same night that the Duke women were playing #1 Tennessee. I walked around and was able to walk inside Cameron Indoor with 5 minutes still left in the game.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/North%20Carolina/IMG_0280.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/North%20Carolina/IMG_0281.jpg
Man I wish we had an arena like that. Small, old-school, cramped and loud as hell.

Krzyzewskiville is pretty crazy too. This was in January, with over 2 months until the Duke-UNC game and there were 60-70 tents out there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/North%20Carolina/IMG_0291.jpg

Very cool campus. If I were a top recruit, I don't know how you could turn Duke and Coach K down.

But I wouldn't want their football stadium, that's for sure. ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/North%20Carolina/IMG_0288.jpg

AllAboutThe'O'
4/16/2006, 03:38 PM
It weirds me out having a former Dukie coaching our team because quite frankly i hated their guts....Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Thomas Hill, Chris Collins, Bobby Hurley, Danny Ferry, Trajon Langdon.....and yes i hated Jeff Chapel too...I m not sure why but I know I really despised him...

I remember being very happy when Arkansas beat them because..
1. I hated Duke
2. I love fat basketball players-Oliver Miller
Oliver Miller didn't play on that '94 Arkansas team that beat Duke for the national title. He played on the '90 Razorback team that went to the Final Four and lost to Duke, who in turn got devoured by the UNLV juggernaut. I was a Razorback fan growing up and I went to school there, so I know these things.
Anyway, even though they beat Arkansas in the '90 Final Four, I didn't start hating Duke until '92 (in fact, I LOVED it when they beat UNLV in the '91 Final Four). As another poster stated, the Duke loving for me "jumped the shark" when Christian Laettner stomped on the chest of the Kentucky player then proceeded to drive a stake through the heart of the Kentucky team with his last-second shot. I hated Duke so much after that even I was pulling for the Fab Five to beat them in the '92 finals. In the '93 NCAAs, I was cheering hard for Jason Kidd and California when they knocked off the Blue Devils.
Jeff Capel may forever be a Dookie, but in his line of work it's all about who signs his paychecks. The University of Oklahoma signs his paychecks so I pledge my full support towards Jeff Capel.