PDA

View Full Version : Southpark got censored...

OklahomaTuba
4/13/2006, 10:10 PM
Fear works I guess.
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/comedycentral002.jpg

vs

(CNSNews.com) - As Christians around the world prepare for Easter, magazine readers in Germany were confronted this week by full-page advertisements depicting Jesus, wearing a crown of thorns but descended from the cross, enjoying a television program.

"Laughing rather than hanging around," (Lachen statt rumhaengen) reads the tagline of the ad, which has drawn strong protests in Germany, where two-thirds of the population identifies as Christian.

The ad promotes MTV's plan to broadcast a cartoon lampooning the pope and Vatican hierarchy. The series, Popetown, was considered too controversial to be aired in Britain, and it caused an uproar in the one country where it has appeared, New Zealand.

&

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/comedycentral005.jpghttp://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=/ForeignBureaus/archive/200604/INT20060413b.html

FaninAma
4/13/2006, 10:18 PM
Pussies.Hook 'em

OklahomaTuba
4/13/2006, 10:22 PM
South Park' Creators Skewer Own Network

By DAVID BAUDER
The Associated Press
Thursday, April 13, 2006; 6:14 PM

NEW YORK -- Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy _ in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians _ instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/13/AR2006041301002.html

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 10:24 PM
South Park sucks.........I don't care how funny it is.

JohnnyMack
4/13/2006, 10:24 PM
Don't really feel like taking the bait on this one. I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow.

usmc-sooner
4/13/2006, 10:28 PM

why not you'd rather watch 2 gay cowboys instead of Jesus, and you blame Bush for all that's wrong in your life. Jump in any time. :D

OklahomaTuba
4/13/2006, 10:29 PM
Not meant to be bait JM. Just amazed that a network that prides itself on mocking everything and profiting off of free speech is showing little spine and appeasing Muslims now.

I would be surprised if Muslims even make up 1% of their viewership!

usmc-sooner
4/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Not meant to be bait JM. Just amazed that a network that prides itself on mocking everything and profiting off of free speech is showing little spine and appeasing Muslims now.

I would be surprised if Muslims even make up 1% of their viewership!

even less a true Muslim wouldn't watch

Boomer.....
4/14/2006, 08:11 AM
The show is very funny, but they are pushing their luck by calling out Comedy Central.

jeremy885
4/14/2006, 08:20 AM
What is Comedy Central going to do, cancel them?

yermom
4/14/2006, 08:23 AM
did any of you guys actually see it?

1stTimeCaller
4/14/2006, 08:25 AM
I did. both episodes. not their best work to date.

yermom
4/14/2006, 08:27 AM
the shots at Family Guy were pretty funny

i wasn't sure if it was just a joke or not

that and the beginning of the 2nd episode were classic South Park

handcrafted
4/14/2006, 08:36 AM
I find it difficult to care about anything Parker and Stone have to say.

The first few episodes of the show were funny. After that, it got (in order): a) old, b) annoying, c) not funny, and d) offensive on purpose with no redeeming value.

I did try to give the BLU movie a chance, but I turned it off about 2/3 of the way through. The "blame Canada" stuff was pretty choice, though. That's the problem with these "shock value" comedies (which tend to be cartoons for some reason). They start off with a novel idea but it soon wears off and then all the writers can do to keep their ratings up is be more and more offensive and more and more controversial, until that's all that's left, and actual decent story writing goes out the window.

Veritas
4/14/2006, 08:51 AM
I don't get why this country has started to pander to Islam and to Muslims in general. Sure I get equality, I get freedom of religion, and I more than understand the concepts as a core tenet to what this country has become.

However, at some point, you have to go WHAT THE ****! There is a free pass to mock Christianity, Hare Krishna, Buddhism, Scientology. That is 100% acceptable and there seems to be little concern shown about who is or is not "offended." Yet when it comes to Islam, the situation could not be more to the opposite. There is such a coddling concern that we not mock Islam, that we not "offend" Muslims. Yet every other religion is fair game.

Showing a black screen instead of a mocking image of Mohammed or refusing to rebroadcast footage of 911 isn't going to stop Muslims from blowing **** up and killing people. It's what they do, because at it's what Allah commands them to do in the Koran. Don't believe me, read the book like I have. Religion of peace my ***.

And don't hand me the tired counterpoint of "well, Christianity this and Christianity that." I'm not comparing religions or religious texts here.

Burying our heads in the asses of Muslims isn't going to stop Muslim violence. Period, end of story.

"There, I said it." :rolleyes:

handcrafted
4/14/2006, 08:55 AM
I agree with everything Veritas just said.

But I'll also add that there is a coddling concern that we not come anywhere close to offending Jews, either.

1stTimeCaller
4/14/2006, 09:05 AM

But I'll also add that there is a coddling concern that we not come anywhere close to offending Jews, either.

Have you actually seen an episode of SP? They make fun of Jews all the time.

I know that you are talking about more than just SP but they hammer everyone except now they can't show pictures of Mohammed.

I think SP is one of the best written shows on TV. Sure it is offensive but the stories, IMO, are well thought out and deal with real issues in American society. Then again, I'm legally retarted.

JohnnyMack
4/14/2006, 09:09 AM
why not you'd rather watch 2 gay cowboys instead of Jesus, and you blame Bush for all that's wrong in your life. Jump in any time. :D

Neither Jesus nor gay cowboys appeal to me.

I don't blame W for all that's wrong in my life.

I was tired last night, now that I have the dark hot goodness in a mug on my desk you're doomed!

:D

JohnnyMack
4/14/2006, 09:10 AM
Then again, I'm legally retarted.

True dat.

1stTimeCaller
4/14/2006, 09:10 AM
Neither Jesus nor gay cowboys appeal to me.

I don't blame W for all that's wrong in my life.

I was tired last night, now that I have the dark hot goodness in a mug on my desk you're doomed!

:D

Are you saying that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

colleyvillesooner
4/14/2006, 09:11 AM

psst...uh, yeah, umm, we're not really using the word "jews" anymore. It's jewish american. ;)

JohnnyMack
Are you saying that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

Yo! Bartender! Jo-Bu needs a refill!

FaninAma

It is truly hilarious to watch you dance everytime a conservative poster on this board yanks your strings.....and I am truly disappointed that you haven't rushed in to enlighten us all on this topic. :cool:

colleyvillesooner
4/14/2006, 09:13 AM
It is truly hilarious to watch you dance everytime a conservative poster on this board yanks your strings.....and I am truly disappointed that you haven't rushed in to enlighten us all on this topic. :cool:

Pretty sure it takes two to dance. :)

JohnnyMack
4/14/2006, 09:13 AM

I can only spread the Gospel of JohnnyMack so fast. Patience man.

yermom
4/14/2006, 09:14 AM
i think they made Muslims look silly enough to **** them off without showing Muhammad

i think the way they showed the Bush/Jesus ****fest was more of a shot at them illustrating that while that might **** off some people, it's not going to cause riots in the streets of America and most people would laugh it off as stupid

FaninAma
4/14/2006, 09:17 AM
I can only spread the Gospel of JohnnyMack so fast. Patience man.
So should we call you Allah or are you just his prophet?

I'm down with the free speech jazz and everything. What I'm not down with is hypocrisy and Comedy Central just lost any claim of not being hypocrits.

IMO, the more the pundits and press alter their treatment of Islam from other religions the more the average joe recognizes that it is truly a ****ed up religion.

BeetDigger
4/14/2006, 09:19 AM
Apparently, free speech applies to everything but Muslim/Islam in this country. I guess if you act violent and irrational, you scare people enough to become immune from any comment that is less than positive.

JohnnyMack
4/14/2006, 09:22 AM
So should we call you Allah or are you just his prophet?

I'm down with the free speech jazz and everything. What I'm not down with is hypocrisy and Comedy Central just lost any claim of not being hypocrits.

IMO, the more the pundits and press alter their treatment of Islam from other religions the more the average joe recognizes that it is truly a ****ed up religion.

I consider myself more like Odin. More of an old school angry God.

And I agree with your post.

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2006, 09:25 AM
Heh (http://spstudio.linda.hosting-friends.de/spstudio4.html)

IronSooner
4/14/2006, 09:35 AM
I thought it was funny that they didn't show mohammad. I figured that was just some extension of the joke, not a last-minute censorship thing.

The end was the best though...to me (not getting up in arms about it) it just demonstrated how westerners are that much more easygoing and understanding about it. I didn't think of it as offensive, I just thought it was kinda stupid. That's it. I'm not gonna go burn a couch or anything.

The only reasons I can see for us pandering to the muslims are 1. to show that the iraq/afghanistan(remember that?) wars weren't against muslims, and 2. to get them to stop blowing themselves up quite so much. Fat chance of 2, but 1 might possibly still be up for debate.

FaninAma
4/14/2006, 09:38 AM

Well thank you, but I think you fit the mold of Loki(the joker) better. :D

Rhino
4/14/2006, 10:20 AM
the shots at Family Guy were pretty funny

i wasn't sure if it was just a joke or not

that and the beginning of the 2nd episode were classic South Park I read an interview with Parker & Stone a while back and they were asked about Family Guy and they talked about how much they hated it.

So, it wasn't a joke.

yermom
4/14/2006, 10:28 AM
I read an interview with Parker & Stone a while back and they were asked about Family Guy and they talked about how much they hated it.

So, it wasn't a joke.

i meant the part about Comedy Central censoring them... i kinda figured they really didn't like Family Guy

i got the feeling that Cartman's story of people thinking he should like Family Guy was really based on Trey

GottaHavePride
4/14/2006, 11:08 AM

Remember, you still have to subcontract all your thundering through Thor. Genius businessman, that Thor.