PDA

View Full Version : My son is gonna be an accountant.

crawfish
4/13/2006, 09:20 PM
No school tomorrow, so he decided to make a schedule of what he and his brother would do tonight. In ten minute increments, from 5:00 to midnight.

*sigh*

ChickSoonerFan
4/13/2006, 09:28 PM
Hey...accountants are hawt.

:D

sooneron
4/13/2006, 09:29 PM
Was it excel spreadsheet? Cuz then you're doomed.

olevetonahill
4/13/2006, 09:33 PM
No school tomorrow, so he decided to make a schedule of what he and his brother would do tonight. In ten minute increments, from 5:00 to midnight.

*sigh*
you got a little stanley growing :eek:
Course he could be a lil Oldanslo or a young Homey :D we can always hope :cool:

Stanley1
4/13/2006, 09:35 PM

*sigh*

Thats what I call "raisin' em right".

Nicely done.

BeetDigger
4/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Hey...accountants are hawt.

If by hawt you mean nerds, then I agree. :D

MamaMia
4/13/2006, 10:45 PM

*sigh*I think Thats really cool. I had an accountant boyfriend one time. He thought I was a little wild. :P

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 10:47 PM
I think Thats really cool. I had an accountant boyfriend one time. He thought I was a little wild. :P
got crazy on the spread sheet did he?:eek:

GottaHavePride
4/13/2006, 10:50 PM

*sigh*

Sounds like you need to send him to a vocational guidance counsellor. Maybe talk him into being a lion tamer.

crawfish
4/14/2006, 12:32 AM
Sounds like you need to send him to a vocational guidance counsellor. Maybe talk him into being a lion tamer.

Lions have long noses and eat ants, don't they?

SicEmBaylor
4/14/2006, 12:35 AM
I'm more of an Access man. I love makin' me some databases.

Taxman71
4/14/2006, 06:39 AM
He can start studying my old Becker CPA review manuals if he wants. It may hurt his lovelife though.

Sooner in Tampa
4/14/2006, 06:52 AM
He can start studying my old Becker CPA review manuals if he wants. It may hurt his lovelife though.Accountants have love lives???:eek:

Who knew ?:confused:

Beef
4/14/2006, 08:22 AM
Accountants RULE!!!!!!!!

sanantoniosooner
4/14/2006, 08:23 AM
beancounters:rolleyes:

yermom
4/14/2006, 08:25 AM
at least he's not a wh0rn...

or is he?

Beef
4/14/2006, 08:25 AM
We're everywhere....and we're hawt.

Jack Bauer wouldn't have a chance against an accountant.

Stanley1
4/14/2006, 08:41 AM
We're everywhere....and we're hawt.

Jack Bauer wouldn't have a chance against an accountant.

Beef speaks the truth people.

Hamhock
4/14/2006, 08:41 AM
accountants>chuck norris

Stanley1
4/14/2006, 08:44 AM
See, we're everywhere people. And Czar hasn't even chimed in yet, and we know how big a pimp he is.

OUDoc
4/14/2006, 08:46 AM

*sigh*
Sorry to hear that. It's a shame he couldn't just be gay or something instead. ;)

Howzit
4/14/2006, 08:48 AM
Sorry to hear that. It's a shame he couldn't just be gay or something instead. ;)

Stanley has shown those are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Sooner in Tampa
4/14/2006, 08:59 AM
Revenge of the Nerds>>>>>accountants

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2006, 09:59 AM
Without accountants, you wouldn't get paid. Just sayin'.

IB4OU2
4/14/2006, 10:06 AM
Does he find that his young friend's eyes glaze over when he discusses his interests?

1stTimeCaller
4/14/2006, 10:20 AM

I have never understood this comment

GottaHavePride
4/14/2006, 11:04 AM
Lions have long noses and eat ants, don't they?

I've got my own hat!

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2006, 02:33 PM
I have never understood this comment

Shall I type slowly so you can follow? ;)
It is an accountant who writes out your paycheck and makes sure that there is actually money in the back to cover it. And most of them have to sign or co-sign the checks.
Duh!

Mr. Baja = accountant
Baja1 = accountant
Baja's dad = bank examiner = accountant
Baja's granddad = accountant
Baja's s-i-l = accountant

OUDoc
4/14/2006, 02:36 PM
It is an accountant who writes out your paycheck and makes sure that there is actually money in the back to cover it. And most of them have to sign or co-sign the checks.
Duh!

My partner keeps the books and I sign my own paycheck. Accountant-free! :D

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2006, 02:38 PM

I know a lot of the docs in OKC and very few of them would/could do it correctly.

Hamhock
4/14/2006, 02:40 PM
I had about 80 doc clients at one time. 100% thought they could do it correctly. The amount that actually could was closer to 0%.

does your partner sign the tax return?

OUDoc
4/14/2006, 02:51 PM
I had about 80 doc clients at one time. 100% thought they could do it correctly. The amount that actually could was closer to 0%.

does your partner sign the tax return?
Nah. An accountant does the legal stuff, we just write our own paychecks.

crawfish
4/14/2006, 02:54 PM
Flat Tax + the barter system.

Then we could wholesale get rid of accountants. :)

Taxman71
4/14/2006, 03:19 PM

That is what I like to refer to as a future tax controversy client. Nothing better than fighting the IRS and OTC about unpaid payroll taxes because one partner did em and the other one had signature authority.

NormanPride
4/14/2006, 03:22 PM
Modern day accountants depend on me, the computer consultant, to make sure their beloved excel spreadsheets work properly. Without me, it's back to big-*** ledgers and green visors, beyonces!

Vaevictis
4/14/2006, 03:38 PM

That's what accountants want you to believe. It keeps them solvent.

Vaevictis
4/14/2006, 03:41 PM
Flat Tax + the barter system.

Then we could wholesale get rid of accountants. :)

Nah, you can't. You'd still have corporate accountancy. You need to have internal controls and you also need someone to prep documents for the SEC (and prep documents for the people who prep documents for the SEC).

According to my understanding, the vast majority of accountants don't ever deal with taxes.

GottaHavePride
4/14/2006, 03:50 PM
According to my understanding, the vast majority of accountants don't ever deal with taxes.
But they DO have to deal with Herbert Kornfeld over in Accounts Reeceevabo'.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2006, 03:54 PM
Ooooohhhhhh! I see a tax audit in Doc's future.

A good accountant will save you much more than the cost of his/her salary. Keeping correct paper trails/documentation, preventing stupid mistakes such as over draft fees and bounced checks, minimizing taxes (legally)..... saving legal fees and penalties by doing it right the first time.

Maybe I should go into advertising?

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2006, 03:57 PM

Hmmm, wonder why my husband had to take a tax accounting class at OU...
It depends on the type of job the accountant has, how big the business is and so on. My husband has always been involved in it with his companies.

Vaevictis
4/14/2006, 04:09 PM
Hmmm, wonder why my husband had to take a tax accounting class at OU...

Heh, I know a accountants that wonder the same thing (and not in a facetious manner like you are doing ;) ). And a lot of mechanical, chemical and industrial engineers who wonder why they had to take electrical science even though 99% of them will never assemble a circuit in their lives. And English majors who wonder why they had to take math classes.

The fact that a class is in a curriculum does not imply that a professional in that field will ever use the stuff in that class, it only implies that the educators think that someone should be exposed to it. :)

Taxman71
4/14/2006, 04:54 PM
This is the main distinction between the education one receives at a University as opposed to a Vo-Tech. I think the term is "well rounded".

Besides, Vo-Techs don't have sorority pledges running around in short-shorts.

Vaevictis
4/14/2006, 05:12 PM
This is the main distinction between the education one receives at a University as opposed to a Vo-Tech. I think the term is "well rounded".

Hey, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying that the fact that somebody's husband took a class in tax accounting in his accounting curriculum should not be interpreted to mean that most accounting jobs involve tax accounting. :)

(In any case, does anyone know the figures? I vaguely recall reading in my parents' AICPA magazine-type thing that most accounting types don't do tax accounting, but that was years ago, so my memory could be fuzzy or the info out ot date)

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2006, 05:32 PM
Ouch! That hurt.

Taxman71
4/15/2006, 09:01 AM
I hear ya. I do not use, and god-help-me never will use,the majority of law school classes I took. You just have to be exposed to all areas and be better prepared for the bar exam.

My problem with accounting degrees is that they don't even come close to preparing you for the CPA exam. Of course, not every accounting major will take the CPA while virtually every law student takes the bar exam.

BajaOklahoma
4/15/2006, 09:43 AM
I honestly can't think of any of my nursing school classes that taught me something that I don't use almost everyday. We only had 4 classes a semester - long classes with labs.
Health-Illness - that would be a duh
Community - infection control, available resources
Law - documentation
Research - dovetails with Community, we had one or the other each semester
OB-GYN - pregnant staff
Labs & practicums - another duh
And all of my previous nursing experience has been used working in the schools. Even my Oncology/Hematology background has come in handy as we've had a couple of kids ungoing chemo or having completed chemo. I knew what residual effects would be from chemo, how nervous the parents would be with each illness, etc.

And I had a 2 day exam to pass just to get my licence to practice. We were well-prepared.

Stanley1
4/15/2006, 09:52 AM
My problem with accounting degrees is that they don't even come close to preparing you for the CPA exam. Of course, not every accounting major will take the CPA while virtually every law student takes the bar exam.

I think this is becoming more and more untrue. Working for one of the Big 4, I'm exposed to people with accounting degrees from alot of different schools. Some of which, now, have classes designed specifically to get the kids to pass the exam.

Wasn't the case with my schooling at TU, but I've heard alot of schools are doing better at this now.

Mjcpr
4/15/2006, 09:56 AM
I was an Accounting major.

Chew on that for a while. :D

Stanley1
4/15/2006, 10:12 AM
I was an Accounting major.

Chew on that for a while. :D

Accounting is funny like that. It has a way of weeding out the "lesser talent", so to speak.

1stTimeCaller
4/15/2006, 11:14 AM
Duh!

Mr. Baja = accountant
Baja1 = accountant
Baja's dad = bank examiner = accountant
Baja's granddad = accountant
Baja's s-i-l = accountant

An accountant does not write out my paycheck. An accountant does not sign my paycheck. I'm not an accountant and yet I pay people all of the time. I don't have anything against accountants but to say that we wouldn't get paid without accountants isn't exactly true.

Taxman71
4/15/2006, 12:41 PM
Accounting is funny like that. It has a way of weeding out the "lesser talent", so to speak.

My accounting professors referred to those as "marketing" majors.

Vaevictis
4/15/2006, 12:50 PM
Heh, yeah, business schools seem to have a lot of, "If you can't hack it there, you CAN hack it here!" majors... marketing, business admin, MIS... :)

(which is not to say that everyone in those majors was unable to hack it somewhere else, but rather, those majors seem to be picked a lot by people who couldn't hack it somewhere else.)

IB4OU2
4/17/2006, 07:45 AM
Does he find that his young friend's eyes glaze over when he discusses his interests?

My eyes are glazing over from just reading this thread.......;)

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2006, 07:48 AM
My accounting professors referred to those as "marketing" majors.
Don't marketing majors refer to accountants as 'beancounters'/'nerds"?

Are you saying it's just jealousy?

Taxman71
4/17/2006, 03:25 PM
Of course. Accountants quit being nerds when they were freed by Lewis Skolnick and Gilbert Lowell of the Tri-Lamb house.

Stanley1
4/17/2006, 03:35 PM
Of course. Accountants quit being nerds when they were freed by Lewis Skolnick and Gilbert Lowell of the Tri-Lamb house.

Exactly. I've never worn a pocket-protector, and I actually have some social skills.

yermom
4/17/2006, 03:35 PM
i don't think they ceased to be nerds though

crawfish
4/17/2006, 03:36 PM
This thread hasn't eased my nerves at all. FYI. :mad:

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2006, 03:37 PM
i don't think they ceased to be nerds though

DING! Winner!