PDA

View Full Version : Screw Kelvin Sampson

The Ensuing Kickoff
4/13/2006, 08:37 PM
The JUCO comment pushes me over the edge. I now officially am on record as not liking him.:twinkies:

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 08:48 PM
I'll make a note of that.

OUGreg723
4/13/2006, 09:02 PM
I'm with you there. That JUCO comment was uncalled for. Maybe it was him who couldnt recruit. And when he finally lands some great players he bails on em'.

I'm soooo over Kelvin. Coach Capel any day of the week.:D

oumartin
4/13/2006, 09:03 PM
guess i missed something. what was said

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 09:05 PM
It's cool when Stoops staff brought over recruits, but NOBODY should take one of ours.

Seem like Kelvin brought Nate Erdman with him when he came also. I bet we hated that.

OUGreg723
4/13/2006, 09:05 PM
Here you go Martin--

From William Brasky:

KS on his thoughts of recruiting JUCO players to IU:
"I don't think you have to at Indiana."

What does he do? His first signee is a JUCO guy he was recruiting to possibly come to OU: Mike White, 6'6" Power Forward from a JUCO in Texas.

oumartin
4/13/2006, 09:10 PM
yeah, my bad, I went back and looked and got caught up..
I'm getting more pumped having coach Capel!

OUGreg723
4/13/2006, 09:12 PM
No doubt.

Stanley1
4/13/2006, 09:42 PM
If you guys don't see the truth in his statement, you are blind.

Vegas Sooner
4/14/2006, 11:09 AM
That ****es me off too, and I have always liked KS. I hope we get a blue chip out of Indiana next year. . . and then we can see what he says.

Vegas Sooner
4/14/2006, 11:21 AM
WTF

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/ncaa/04/13/recruiting.rdp/index.html
???.you dont have to do that here?

NormanPride
4/14/2006, 11:31 AM
While I'll agree that his statement was pretty silly... why does this **** us off? I mean, it's not like the kid had committed, right? He was a Sampson recruit, and now Sampson is at IU. Now, if he stole some that had already committed, that would be low, considering he's already leaving us with probation.

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 11:35 AM
He's been at IU for about two weeks. He sees a need for next year, so he gets a juco. What's he suppose to do?

Now if two years from now he's still recruiting jucos, then there's an issue with what he said.

okienole3
4/14/2006, 02:47 PM
The only reason he had to recruit JUCOs here was to fill in for the HS guys that he ran off the team after two years.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/14/2006, 02:54 PM
He's been at IU for about two weeks. He sees a need for next year, so he gets a juco. What's he suppose to do?

Now if two years from now he's still recruiting jucos, then there's an issue with what he said.

Xactly. I didn't hear him promise he would never sign a Juco. If every recruit he signs is a Juco it doesn't bother me.

I'm just waiting for the phone bill....

badger
4/14/2006, 03:10 PM
As I hear more and more of these comments from you all, and as I learn more about his contracts both here and there, I think he left for one reason:

the fan support.

The university bent over backwards to encourage students to come - front sections at midcourt on both sides.

The university started offering incentives for using season tickets (which pretty much means MEN'S BASKETBALL)

Despite this, the only games that were full were the in-conference rivals. Plus, I have a hunch that he has somehow heard about the "Calvin Simpson" thing... and not laughed, but rather, thrown a chair a la Big 12 Championship halftime speech.

It must have taken a toll on him to the point of going to a place with less pay, worse facilities and no star recruiting class that he must have worked his butt off to get (...either convincing them to come here, or convincing donors to write checks... but I'm not sure. Nothing's beyond a guy about to get sanctioned, right?)

And now, the fans up there are shunning him. If you haven't seen it yet, this site is a gem:

firekelvinsampson.com

I feel bad for the guy, but on the other hand, I can't feel bad for somebody about to make $1.1 million this year (and $1.8 mil last season).

So, I guess I'm torn - but, I think it's clear that he left because of the fan support. It's the one thing that is consistent. Kelvin wins 20 games or maybe he wins 25. He draws good JUCO stars... or maybe he'll go for HS recruits. He throws off his suit coat when he gets angry at Big 12 refs... but then sometimes he throws off his tie. He blows "easy wins," or maybe he'll just win by a point. However, one thing is consistent - FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON.

Like I said, check out the site. It's funny.

NormanPride
4/14/2006, 03:36 PM
As I hear more and more of these comments from you all, and as I learn more about his contracts both here and there, I think he left for one reason:

the fan support.

The university bent over backwards to encourage students to come - front sections at midcourt on both sides.

The university started offering incentives for using season tickets (which pretty much means MEN'S BASKETBALL)

Despite this, the only games that were full were the in-conference rivals. Plus, I have a hunch that he has somehow heard about the "Calvin Simpson" thing... and not laughed, but rather, thrown a chair a la Big 12 Championship halftime speech.

It must have taken a toll on him to the point of going to a place with less pay, worse facilities and no star recruiting class that he must have worked his butt off to get (...either convincing them to come here, or convincing donors to write checks... but I'm not sure. Nothing's beyond a guy about to get sanctioned, right?)

And now, the fans up there are shunning him. If you haven't seen it yet, this site is a gem:

firekelvinsampson.com

I feel bad for the guy, but on the other hand, I can't feel bad for somebody about to make $1.1 million this year (and $1.8 mil last season).

So, I guess I'm torn - but, I think it's clear that he left because of the fan support. It's the one thing that is consistent. Kelvin wins 20 games or maybe he wins 25. He draws good JUCO stars... or maybe he'll go for HS recruits. He throws off his suit coat when he gets angry at Big 12 refs... but then sometimes he throws off his tie. He blows "easy wins," or maybe he'll just win by a point. However, one thing is consistent - FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON.

Like I said, check out the site. It's funny.

With these guilt trips, you're going to be a good mother. :(

Really, I think it has more to do with him just wanting to move on. He had a frustrating year with bad seniors, probation, bad media attention, and the restless fans as always.

As for the "The fans only show for conference rivals" we both saw how many showed for the KState game, and that game was supposed to stink.

In the end, there's only one guy who really knows why he left.

Vegas Sooner
4/14/2006, 03:58 PM
...........who cares hes gone--I was ****ed, but if he doesnt want to be part of Oklahoma--so be it. He has moved on, and so has the university.

OUstud
4/14/2006, 04:07 PM
All I know is that excitement for OU basketball seems to be higher now than anytime outside of the Final Four under Calvin.

spaceman
4/14/2006, 04:52 PM
He realized it was time to move on. The Sampson era had run its course. He lost control of his players and he lost many of the fans. It seemed like from a recruiting standpoint, he was always in a crisis mode. Walker is a good example. You can't build a successful long term program relying on juco players. They won't put up with that kind of recruiting nonsense at Indiana. He's going to find out what real expectations are at IU. The media won't give him the softball treatment and they won't be his good buddy like the clowns in OKC. They actually have legitimate sports journalism up in that part of the world.

We are fortunate to get a young guy like Capel. I'm looking forward to JC taking us to the next level beyond first round losses in the tourny. Thank goodness the Sampson era is over. Thank you Indiana for taking him off of our hands. Let the Capel era begin.

stoopified
4/14/2006, 11:54 PM
He realized it was time to move on. The Sampson era had run its course. He lost control of his players and he lost many of the fans. It seemed like from a recruiting standpoint, he was always in a crisis mode. Walker is a good example. You can't build a successful long term program relying on juco players. They won't put up with that kind of recruiting nonsense at Indiana. He's going to find out what real expectations are at IU. The media won't give him the softball treatment and they won't be his good buddy like the clowns in OKC. They actually have legitimate sports journalism up in that part of the world.

We are fortunate to get a young guy like Capel. I'm looking forward to JC taking us to the next level beyond first round losses in the tourny. Thank goodness the Sampson era is over. Thank you Indiana for taking him off of our hands. Let the Capel era begin.Got a little blind faith going on have we?:) While I hope that Capel can take us beyond the Tubbs-Sampson level there is no tangible evidence he will.As for more excitement around the program right now,well we ARE in a NEW ERA with a coach who is undefeated at OU.The true measure is during and after next season.I am pretty sure he won't be undefeated and there may well be crys for his head.I hope not because I always want my Sooners to be the BEST regardless of who the coach is.BOOMER SOONER BABY.

GDC
4/15/2006, 02:12 PM
Sampson pleased by Capel hire
By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
4/14/2006

The former Sooner coach says the choice is a 'slam dunk' for Oklahoma.
Fans and media might have been surprised at the University of Oklahoma's hiring of basketball coach Jeff Capel, but Kelvin Sampson was not.

To some extent, Sampson apparently was involved in OU's search for his successor.

Speaking by telephone from his Indiana University office, Sampson said he and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione maintained a line of communication during the search for a coach.

"I don't know if consult is the right word, but we talked a lot," said Sampson, who last month resigned from OU to become Indiana's new coach. "Please do not give me credit for anything. The only thing that needs to be said about that is Joe and Kelvin are extremely close, and they talked a lot during the process.

"I take some ownership in that hire. The players who are coming back and the recruits who are coming in -- those are my guys, my kids. Now they're Jeff's kids. I want them to have a good coach, and Joe hired a good coach. Don't ever, ever, ever question Joe Castiglione. He's the best."

An attempt to contact Castiglione on Thursday was unsuccessful. Sampson described the Capel hiring as "a slam dunk."

The 31-year-old

Capel, a former Duke guard who spent the past four seasons as the Virginia Commonwealth head coach, was introduced as the new Sooner coach Tuesday.

"I know Jeff well, and I knew of his father when I was growing up in North Carolina," Sampson said. "Jeff's father played against my father's teams in high school. Jeff's father was a heck of a high school basketball player. He played at Pinecrest High School and my father was the coach at Pembroke Senior High. They were in the same league."

During Capel's Tuesday press conference on the OU campus, Sampson was at the Lloyd Noble Center.

He was back in Bloomington, Ind., on Wednesday, and he and Capel had a telephone conversation. Sampson said Capel is planning to meet with him soon in Indiana.

Sampson reiterated that each of his five November signees -- including McDonald's All-American Scottie Reynolds -- will honor their commitments to play for the Sooners.

"They'll all stay and they'll be great for Jeff," Sampson said.

In 12 seasons at OU, Sampson's had a school-record winning percentage of .719 while making 11 NCAA Tournament appearances. His 2002 squad advanced to the Final Four before losing to Indiana in the semifinals.

Sampson's OU predecessor, Billy Tubbs, had during his 14-year Sooner run a .716 winning percentage, nine NCAA appearances and a loss to Kansas in the 1988 NCAA championship game.

"I thought Kelvin did a great job and I hated to see him leave," Tubbs said by telephone on Thursday.

"We developed a really good friendship. He kept Oklahoma basketball going and maybe took it up another level."

Capel's hiring at OU was no more a surprise than Sampson's hiring at Indiana.

Sampson said he has been uplifted by congratulatory phone calls from his former Sooners who now play professional basketball overseas.

Aaron McGhee called from Korea. Ebi Ere called from Belgium and Hollis Price called from Germany.

"My time at Oklahoma was a great ride," Sampson said. "I feel great about the future of the program with Jeff Capel. Billy Tubbs handed a great program to me, and I think we've handed a great program to Jeff Capel."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Haisten 581-8397
[email protected].

jacru
4/15/2006, 10:28 PM
Well, if he wanted more attention, he certainly got it. Screw KS? he may have just srewed himself. Though, I think he'll probably do alright.

Scott D
4/15/2006, 10:37 PM
how could you not edit out the part where Billy Tubbs had good things to say about him. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/15/2006, 10:47 PM
Wow Kelvin Sampson = Shorthorns

Some whorn fans say we are obsessed with the whorns....i think we are obsessed with Kelvin Sampson. Go to an OsU board and see how they talk about OU and that is how we talk about Sampson....we are turning into aggies real quick

birddog
4/15/2006, 11:08 PM
i notice you said "we". interesting. well, i suppose it's the easiest thing to do.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/15/2006, 11:20 PM
Well it seems to be the prevailing sentiment of this board and they are a reflection of me as a Sooner fan. That is why I said we, not that I am in with this riff raff

sanantoniosooner
4/15/2006, 11:23 PM
I'm going to side with Gandolf here and say it's sad to see the crappy attitudes about Kelvin. It's not like we just got "FranchiOWNED". Why don't we focus on the new coach and quit acting like Kelvin is the debil.

birddog
4/15/2006, 11:51 PM
well, i'm not siding one way or another. i'm just saying that i understand some sooner fans are going to take it personally when a coach moves on. i never thought ks would be here til he was 90. i will support the university for as long as i live and wish the coaches well when they move on.

Sooner24
4/16/2006, 08:46 AM
Kelvin did some really good things while he was here and for that I thank him. Good luck at IU Kelvin.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/17/2006, 07:57 AM
Wow Kelvin Sampson = Shorthorns

Some whorn fans say we are obsessed with the whorns....i think we are obsessed with Kelvin Sampson. Go to an OsU board and see how they talk about OU and that is how we talk about Sampson....we are turning into aggies real quick

How about how obsessed Kelvin is with us? How many interviews is going to give to the Oklahoma media? It's been 3 weeks. I'll start ignoring him when he starts ignoring us.

Sooner24
4/17/2006, 12:13 PM
How about how obsessed Kelvin is with us? How many interviews is going to give to the Oklahoma media? It's been 3 weeks. I'll start ignoring him when he starts ignoring us.

Why shouldn't he grant interviews with the Oklahoma media? Should Capel not give any interviews to the Virgina media? Maybe it's the Oklahoma media that that hasn't started ignoring him and not the other way around.

Sooner in Tampa
4/17/2006, 12:34 PM
We need to get over this whole Kelvin thing...Coaches move on...it is part of the deal. I was ****ed that he made such a catty little bitch remark too, but **** him---he is no longer part of the family, he belongs to IU now.

It is time to support Coach Capel and focus on that!!!!

yermom
4/17/2006, 12:44 PM
what kinda stuff do you expect him to say there?

Well, Indiana is no Oklahoma, but I'll do what i can to try and win here...

seems like the timing might have been right for him to go anyway. for OU and him.

anyway, next season ought to be fun, who knows what to expect?

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/17/2006, 12:59 PM
Why shouldn't he grant interviews with the Oklahoma media? Should Capel not give any interviews to the Virgina media? Maybe it's the Oklahoma media that that hasn't started ignoring him and not the other way around.

If in 2 weeks Capel is talking about the VCU program with Richmond media, yes, I think that it inappropriate. As for the Oklahoma media seeking him out, that's a decent theory given the crush they still have on the man.

Sooner24
4/17/2006, 05:23 PM
I am betting the media is contacting KS and not the other way around.

SoonerBBall
4/18/2006, 11:05 AM
After spending 7 years as a student and fan at OU I have finally figured out one of our fans' biggest problems. We are so obsessed with sports that we look for the negative in everything. We always see ESPN bagging on us, we always see people (coaches, players, etc) leaving as an affront to the school we love, and we take every single stupid, random off-comment so personally that we get blinded with rage and can't think rationally about what is actually happening. In short, we are both the best and worst kind of fan.

I'm using "we" just like Gandalf in this post. I am part of the fanbase, but I hate being lumped in with the people who let their thin skin and temper determine their fandom.

The Consumate Showman
4/18/2006, 03:09 PM
About attendance...can you blame fans for not wanting to drive to Norman on $2.50 per gallon gas and watch them play some cream puff or MVC conf team? I'll admit it...I'm not going to travel up there and watch them play Samford or Belmont.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/18/2006, 03:29 PM
and it is that attitude why Kelvin is better off going to Indiana and one of the reasons we will Probably never EVER be a consistent National Title contender at OU.

SleestakSooner
4/18/2006, 04:08 PM
It's my belief that local television broadcasts of the Sooner basketball games have made it a much easier decision to stay at home or go watch the game at a local bar to see them play.

Blackouts due to non-sellout games don't help since the tickets have usually all been sold, it's just that a lot of folks won't actually attend the games they purchased the tickets for.

Blame the way the university uses these for incentives to get better football seats. Blame technology that allows most any game to be broadcast inexpensively. Blame yourselves for not caring enough about the team to actually attend. Blame Top Dog for pulling on his own ears too often or blame the idiot who decided the dancing baby from Ally McBeal was a good promotional tool!

sanantoniosooner
4/18/2006, 04:51 PM
It's my belief that local television broadcasts of the Sooner basketball games have made it a much easier decision to stay at home or go watch the game at a local bar to see them play.

Blackouts due to non-sellout games don't help since the tickets have usually all been sold, it's just that a lot of folks won't actually attend the games they purchased the tickets for.

Blame the way the university uses these for incentives to get better football seats. Blame technology that allows most any game to be broadcast inexpensively. Blame yourselves for not caring enough about the team to actually attend. Blame Top Dog for pulling on his own ears too often or blame the idiot who decided the dancing baby from Ally McBeal was a good promotional tool!
Marshal, Will and Holly are getting away while you're busy posting.

OUstud
4/18/2006, 05:31 PM
When did we use the dancing baby?