PDA

View Full Version : so, does Joe C. like being called Joe by coaches?

oumartin
4/13/2006, 07:15 PM
Coach Capel referred to him as Joe. Guess they are pretty tight

Newbomb Turk
4/13/2006, 07:25 PM
Coach Capel referred to him as Joe. Guess they are pretty tight

Who knows.
But you can call me Newbomb. No need for Mr. Turk or anything like that.

oumartin
4/13/2006, 07:30 PM
But you can call me Chump. No need for Mr. Turk or anything like that.

Okay Chump!

Newbomb Turk
4/13/2006, 07:40 PM
I really hate you sometimes. :eddie:

Oh - and call State Farm and have another adjuster come out.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/13/2006, 09:18 PM
Who knows.
In that case, you can either call me 'Sir' or 'Your Royal Majesty.'

Jimminy Crimson
4/14/2006, 12:00 AM
I'm guessing during the interviews Capel was referring to him as Mr. Castiglione and at some point, Joe said "you can just call me Joe".

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2006, 12:24 AM
joe c is just a regular type guy it seems to be that would rather people call him joe..i only talked to him once, during the utep fooseball game a few years ago that was rained out for about an hour or so....we were standing by a concession stand and he just came up and started talking like we ve known each other forever...seemed cool enough for me

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/14/2006, 08:30 AM
Who knows.

I've found that since I got this avatar that people are more comfortable calling me Corn Frog instead of Rock Hard.

ousoonerfan
4/14/2006, 08:32 AM
Maybe some people have a hard time pronouncing his last name. Even Boren had some trouble introducing him at the press conference.

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 08:41 AM
Why does this matter?

oumartin
4/14/2006, 08:42 AM
until you have more posts you shouldn't ask!

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 10:03 AM
Ummm... so you have to have nearly 10k posts to make lame ones?

oumartin
4/14/2006, 10:06 AM
yep

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 10:50 AM
Jeff Capel Jr., is a great coach with a damned good reputation on the east coast. He was doing a great job coaching ODU when I was there, bringing them to the NCAAs more than once. That was back when his son was a point guard for Duke.

My point here is Jeff has lived with and worked with AD's and coaches for several years now... he may be only 31 but I believe he has earned the right to look at Castiglione as a peer and refer to him by first name in public.

At the very least his intentions and reputation should not be subject to smearing just because you have a s**t ton of posts on this board. And as a matter of fact neither should mine.

oumartin
4/14/2006, 10:56 AM
you need to look around the board some more and learn how people are before you start popping off. It wasn't a slam on Jeff.

jk the sooner fan
4/14/2006, 11:00 AM
joe is his name....

i've never heard any other Sooner coach refer to him as anything but "joe"

why would capel be any different?

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 11:04 AM
You need to quit telling me what I need to do... mmmk?

As Jack Mildren likes to tell Jimbo Traber, "Just because you say it loud doesn't make it right."

oumartin
4/14/2006, 11:05 AM
i give up

birddog
4/14/2006, 11:17 AM
no, come on helander, try harder. i want to say i like your resolve.
i don't know how i made it the first couple of weeks on here. i was slammin' big timers too. maybe they just like bbq.

oumartin
4/14/2006, 11:22 AM
listen dweeb. you aint to good to get a taste either bud! ;)

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 11:28 AM
i don't know how i made it the first couple of weeks on here. i was slammin' big timers too.

yeah - but martin ain't no big timer.

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 11:30 AM
Why does this matter?

In defense of martin (which I hate to do, trust me :D) there are a lot of things that don't matter much that get posted here.

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 11:35 AM
I just wish he'd step out of the S'ville meth lab, remove his *** hat and treat his fellow Sooner fans with some respect. I know I am the FNG here but this one don't half step like a damned Whorns fan.

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 11:36 AM
I don't think that last comment is a way to get respect.

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 11:37 AM
Comments on this Posthttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifyep You have -6974 Reputation points.

I mean seriously... what a joke.

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 11:40 AM
Don't worry - Nick had negative reputation at one time too. There's still hope.

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 11:44 AM
SUCCS Oh great! I am now comparable to Nick... anyone got that missing hang man's noose from Oak Tree?

oumartin
4/14/2006, 11:48 AM
look, very seldom do I say anything serious on this board unless I'm calling for someones job..

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 11:53 AM
Comments on this Posthttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhere's some more You have -11474 Reputation points.

I am continuing this inane conversation with you in hopes to hasten your gaining 10K posts, the silver watch and an early retirement from these boards.

oumartin
4/14/2006, 11:55 AM
just so you know. I didn't neg you but once... trust me. but go ahead and rant

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 11:56 AM
anyone got that missing hang man's noose from Oak Tree?

check with Jenni Carlson - she's the beyotch that started that crap.

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 12:02 PM
Once was more than enough, as a life long Norman resident and born sooner I expected better from my compatriots. Perhaps you two are aberations and the others here won't have such thin skins?

I take negative feedback personally unless it is warranted. Yours was not and you are acting like the board bully throwing your negativity around.

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 12:08 PM
Perhaps you two are aberations and the others here won't have such thin skins?

who is the other one?

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 12:09 PM
a coward in the weeds no doubt... hey I bet Coach C could root him out!

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 12:15 PM
heh - martin...the board bully.
:les: MARTIN IS A BULLY!

oumartin
4/14/2006, 12:17 PM
:D

Just ask Chuck Long and Kelvin

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 12:18 PM
ooooh - that's true.

better be careful Sleestak - martin will run you off too. ;)

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 12:19 PM
martin - you havin a party when you hit 10k?

oumartin
4/14/2006, 12:20 PM
nah,
I might retire

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 12:21 PM
ROFL

Too funny

Newbomb Turk
4/14/2006, 12:24 PM
nah,
I might retire

don't retire - I need somebody to neg other than Sleestak.

just kiddin Sleestak - I didn't neg ya like that bully martin did.

Dio
4/14/2006, 12:28 PM
Check your negs now, noob.

oumartin
4/14/2006, 12:30 PM
retire this name anyhow.

hang my jersey from the LNC!

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 12:34 PM
Oooh we can use this rope I borrowed from Jenni Carlson to hang it!

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 12:40 PM
I am just happy to find an active message board for my favorite team! Sorry about the excitedness, but I have been stuck dealing with the ESPN boards for two years.

That was until I clicked on the wrong link and was greeted with something akin to the tubgirl! Disgusting!

My search for safe boards brought me here...

JohnnyMack
4/14/2006, 01:00 PM
nah,
I might retire

Promise?

MikeInNorman
4/14/2006, 02:06 PM
:D

Just ask Chuck Long and Kelvin

True dat. You're two for two. :twinkies:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/14/2006, 02:21 PM
Actually Joe is a the natural progression of his name. When we first came in he was Joe Cougar Castiglione and after a short time he shortened it. He shortened it again to Joe C and now it is Joe. Eventually it should just be JC. Or JC2 to eliminate confusion. ;)

Hope that explains it.

Besides Jeff "effin" Capel can STILL dunk. In my book that means he can call him whatever name he wants.

BajaOklahoma
4/14/2006, 02:25 PM
My search for safe boards brought me here...

Pssst! You're in the wrong place. There is nothing safe about this board. Nothing. :eek:

badger
4/14/2006, 03:11 PM
The media calls him that too. I guess its people that he talks to a lot... and drunk fans.

Heeeeeey jooooooooe.

william_brasky
4/14/2006, 06:03 PM
I'm a little upset that I missed out on this thread? :twinkies:

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 07:14 PM
"Tito, can you get me a tissue?" MJ

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2006, 08:02 PM
jermaine stop teasing

GDC
4/15/2006, 02:11 PM
Hits not slowing Castiglione down
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
4/15/2006

It's been nearly three decades since Joe Castiglione last played football as a walk-on at Maryland. But over the past several months, Oklahoma's athletic director has often felt the need for pads and a helmet.

"I'm in the administrative version of the Oklahoma Drill," Castiglione said Friday in a telephone interview. "But I'm not going to go down. I'm going to keep shucking it off; I've got to keep going."

Developed during the era of legendary Sooner coach Bud Wilkinson, the often-brutal "Oklahoma Drill" remains popular with coaches at every level. It matches a blocker and running back against a single defender in a confined space. The defender must fight off the blocker and tackle the back.

Both personally and professionally, Castiglione has played the role of the defender. He's had to absorb one hit after another and continue to move forward.

Castiglione's latest battle has been the intense search for a new basketball coach and the criticism he's received since introducing 31-year-old Jeff Capel on Tuesday as the man he selected to replace Kelvin Sampson.

The OU administrator's difficult year started last fall when his mother died from complications suffered in an automobile accident. It continued when Sampson's basketball

program was placed under NCAA investigation and Bob Stoops' football team got off to a 2-3 start.

"Football turned out great," said Castiglione of the Sooners winning six of their last seven, including a victory in the Holiday Bowl. "But at the beginning of the season, I had to disconnect the phone lines because people were ready to call Dr. (Jack) Kevorkian."

Castiglione was joking about those panicked bandwagon fans who wanted to get in touch with the doctor known for assisting patients to commit suicide.

But sports are a life-and-death proposition for some supporters. And Castiglione is often the lightening rod for fan and media criticism when a team struggles or he makes a controversial decision.

That certainly was the case with the hire of Capel. Many expected Castiglione to hire a big-name coach instead of someone who has been a coach for just six seasons, including the last four as the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth.

Three days after Capel's introductory press conference, Castiglione recalled an incident he had with a media member a few minutes after he had introduced Stoops in December 1998.

"I had somebody stabbing his finger in my shoulder and saying, 'What the hell were you thinking, going out and hiring an assistant coach to come in and take over a program that has been on it's last legs for several years?' " Castiglione recalled. "And then everybody else jumped in and said, 'Yeah, what the hell were you thinking?' "

Others questioned why Castiglione hired a defensive-minded coach. Stoops, Florida's defensive coordinator, wasn't the popular choice of those who preferred an offensive genius.

Stoops, of course, won a national championship in his second season at OU. He's gone 75-16 in seven seasons and won three Big 12 championships.

"A lot of those (media) people are the same ones that are now saying, 'I said from Day One that Bob Stoops was the best choice,' " Castiglione said. "They have total selective memory."

Castiglione has no way of knowing if his Capel decision will turn out anywhere near as successful as his selection of Stoops. But he's confident his exhaustive research helped him identify a candidate who has the attributes needed to build on the success the program enjoyed under Sampson and Billy Tubbs.

And Castiglione said he understands those (including yours truly) who said he's taking a huge risk because of Capel's lack of coaching experience.

"I think it's fair to say it's a risky hire. I'd be lying if I said that didn't cross my mind," he said. "But that's not saying it's a bad hire. It's just a little more risky.

"But doesn't every decision we make have risk to it? The more the risk, the higher the reward."

Castiglione acknowledged that he considered coaches whose recognition factor is higher than Capel's. But either they ruled themselves out for various reasons or he decided they weren't a good fit.

Some potential candidates found the challenge of replacing Sampson too daunting. OU went to 11 NCAA Tournaments and a Final Four in Sampson's 12 seasons. Others had contracts with enormous buyouts, and at least one finalist backed out less than 24 hours before his scheduled interview.

In the end, Castiglione said, the job was offered to only one man. And the Sooner AD was emphatic when he said Capel shouldn't be considered a second-tier candidate OU was forced to settle on.

"There has never been, nor will there ever be, an approach on my part where the University of Oklahoma 'settles' on anybody," Castiglione said. "We don't 'settle.' And that would be very, very unfair to the person that we hire.

"If we didn't like somebody in that final pool of candidates, we would have kept going with the search. But we really liked Jeff Capel."

Doubters question Capel's ability to recruit. Castiglione agreed that Capel's four-year stint at VCU wasn't enough of a track record on it's own to form a definite opinion on his recruiting skills.

But Castiglione became convinced of Capel's ability to attract blue-chip talent to OU after endless conversations with people in the business. He was also impressed with Capel's character and his special knack for building relationships.

"It finally got to the point where in my gut I felt like this was the guy," Castiglione said. "I couldn't get him out of my gut. In a way, I almost couldn't get him out of my heart."

Over the past year, Castiglione has survived his personal "Oklahoma Drill" by trusting his gut instincts and going with his heart..