PDA

View Full Version : State Farm Insurance!

oumartin
4/13/2006, 03:10 PM
Okay, got me some hail damage on siding and roof. call up my insurance and they tell me to get the estimates and turn them in. got em and turned them in. get a call back and was told an adjuster would be out next week. fine. but then she proceeds to pretty much read me the riot act about the depreciation of the roof and my deductable and how detailed the adjuster is gonna be on what needs fixed yet they will probably only cover about 1/5 the expense in the end. if that much.. I've had state farm for my cars for 15 years and on this house we just bought. I've had 2 claims on my cars for a windshield and a rear bumper from a wreck. they never let me pick who I want to do the work. I think I've had it with em.

Like a good neighbor my ***.

I've seen other insurance companies out driving around looking over their clients houses and I have to do all the work and then wait for a week to get an adjuster.

Hamhock
4/13/2006, 03:14 PM
they never let me pick who I want to do the work. .

I think this is called "steering" and is against the law.

sooner n houston
4/13/2006, 03:22 PM
Get ready to fight the ********!!! I had roof damage during Rita, it took me 4 months to get SF to pay for my roof etc. They finally did but I had to fight them all the way. They initally offered me $1,800. I finally setted for $10,500.

Do you have replacement coverage on your house? Very important. Read you policy and see. If you have replacement damage, which everyone should, they have to pay replacement cost - no depreciation.

Don't let them pay you to "patch" damage. If you get a contractor to work with you, he can wright letters explaining why patching is not workable. Also if it will make your house look bad don't accept patch work.

My brother is still fighting them over damage to his lake house on Lake Livingston.

Mjcpr
4/13/2006, 03:25 PM
I thought SF had some sort of 'hail clause' that said something to the effect that you're liable for 10% of the repair/replacement cost.

I vaguely remember something about that with my policy.

oumartin
4/13/2006, 03:26 PM
no, its a cash value

Hamhock
4/13/2006, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Allstate now has a separate roof/hail deductible.

Pretty soon, they won't actually cover anything.

oumartin
4/13/2006, 03:27 PM
if I'm out 2500-3000 I will not complain.. the roof is 7,000 to replace and the siding is 700.00.

ousoonerfan
4/13/2006, 03:34 PM
SF is the succ. Back in high school my whole family had SF. Being young and naive, I let a friend drive my car. He hydroplaned and took out the bedroom of a neighbors house. No one was hurt. After the dust settled, SF cancelled me, my mom, brother, sister, ex-stepdad and my friend who also had SF. Some years later, still no accidents from myself, I met and married. Guess what? My wife had SF. Guess what else? Not long after they found out, they dropped her like yesterday's Duke stripper! Whenever I hear that damn jingle, I want to shoot something!! :mad:

oumartin
4/13/2006, 03:41 PM
well, i've spent the last hour checking into new insurance

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2006, 03:48 PM
state farm's name is **** in the katrina affected areas.....

they are in deep doodoo and headed for some nasty bad faith law suits

oumartin
4/13/2006, 03:49 PM
sounds like yet another good reason to find other insurance..

handcrafted
4/13/2006, 03:57 PM
Just stay away from Allstate. They're worse than SF.

I happen to have SF homeowners (I refuse to have my auto policy with them). The house is replacement cost but the roof is cash value because they woudn't insure it replacment because a shingle was discovered to be broken during the pre-mortgage inspection. :mad:

Mjcpr
4/13/2006, 03:58 PM
I happen to have SF homeowners (I refuse to have my auto policy with them).

Do you hate saving money?

handcrafted
4/13/2006, 04:00 PM
Do you hate saving money?

No, I love saving money, which is why I have my auto through Progressive, thereby maintaining my premiums at about $400 per year lower than SF quoted me.

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2006, 04:01 PM

I happen to have SF homeowners (I refuse to have my auto policy with them). The house is replacement cost but the roof is cash value because they woudn't insure it replacment because a shingle was discovered to be broken during the pre-mortgage inspection. :mad:

actually allstate has rehabilitated their image with their handling of the katrina claims........they're paying where the others are not

Mjcpr
No, I love saving money, which is why I have my auto through Progressive, thereby maintaining my premiums at about $400 per year lower than SF quoted me.

Usually you get a discount on your policies when you have multiple policies with the same carrier.......that's why I asked. Multi-line(?) I think it's called.

jk the sooner fan
i have farmers at the house and USAA with the car

handcrafted
4/13/2006, 04:04 PM
Usually you get a discount on your policies when you have multiple policies with the same carrier.......that's why I asked. Multi-line(?) I think it's called.

You do. Except that SF's multi-line discount quote is still $400 higher.

handcrafted
4/13/2006, 04:05 PM
i have farmers at the house and USAA with the car

My wife had a claim with USAA last year. They were pretty much jerks about the whole thing, though they did end up paying.

Mjcpr
4/13/2006, 04:06 PM
You do. Except that SF's multi-line discount quote is still $400 higher.

Hmmm.....I haven't done it in a while but the last time I shopped insurance, State Farm was always cheaper. I had Farmer's for a while but the agent I had in Tulsa was freakin' moron so I went back to SF.

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 04:06 PM
state farm's name is **** in the katrina affected areas.....

they are in deep doodoo and headed for some nasty bad faith law suits

You speak the truth.

They have Dickie Scruggs aiming for them. He took the tobacco companies
to the wood$hed.

oumartin
4/13/2006, 04:17 PM
I just checked with farmers insurance and my policy would be 2200 a year for the house.. state farm is 1400..

Oh, and get this. I had replacement insurance on the roof and they sent me a letter changing the policy to cash value!...

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 04:18 PM
State farm succs

oumartin
4/13/2006, 04:23 PM
well, I will see what they wanna pay.. I guess you can argue with them on the amount?

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 04:23 PM
You can argue. You may as well debate with a rock.

TUSooner
4/13/2006, 05:11 PM

That's what I've been hearing down here in post-Katrina land. In my case, State Farm was quick and fair. Of course, they were probably glad to be dealing with someone who wasn't totally wiped out.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/13/2006, 05:14 PM
actually allstate has rehabilitated their image with their handling of the katrina claims........they're paying where the others are not

humorously enough, last winter i went through and deep sixed the logic in their siebel application that was causing the hoops. did the same thing at country insurance...

and by last winter, i mean the the year before when i was stuck in frickin' chicago all winter. [brrrrrr]

TUSooner
4/13/2006, 05:18 PM
The bad rep I heard about Allstate was awhile back. And I have heard some gripes about SF, but, like I said, they did OK by me.

I have AS auto, by the way, and they've been pretty good

MamaMia
4/13/2006, 05:23 PM
I have State Farm right here in the same town martin, and I have never had a problem thus far. We have had State Farm for about 15 years now on everything. Is your agent Jack or the other guy?

oumartin
4/13/2006, 06:04 PM
I'll leave that confidential and see how this works out first mom.

i've been with them forever too and this is the first house claim. i'll see how it goes..

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2006, 06:22 PM
i believe allstate got their bad rep from 2 hurricane seasons ago, when those 4 hurricanes hit florida within the span of a month

my cousin was down there working for Pilot CAT, adjusting katrina claims and said allstate was writing checks like the old folks handing out candy on halloween

or something like that

Newbomb Turk
4/13/2006, 07:37 PM
We've had State Farm for about 13 years. Filed our first claim 2 years ago when we had a big hail storm in OKC. Had ZERO problems with them. In fact, another guy came out and checked the work of the first guy and gave us more money.

We had a roofing contractor look at the roof, and he submited a claim to State Farm asking for more money. They gave it to us. We only paid a couple hundred dollars out of pocket. That includes upgrading to better shingles and had a ridge vent installed.

MamaMia
4/13/2006, 10:22 PM
I'll leave that confidential and see how this works out first mom.

i've been with them forever too and this is the first house claim. i'll see how it goes..
Okay. I hope everything will turn out well. :)

I just had my car window broken in and the burglar left nothing. Jack Stout replaced everything, even my OU visor clip and the gourmet peanut butter carob cookies I got by mail order from the Beverly Hills Doggie Goodie Bakery. You couldnt tell they were for dogs. I get a big chuckle when I think of the car bandit taking a bite out of those dog treats. :D