PDA

View Full Version : Sugar in ice tea

royalfan5
4/13/2006, 01:30 PM
Is Oklahoma one the places that puts sugar in tea for no good reason?

4/13/2006, 01:32 PM
Good Lord, NO!!

This is the norm in Texas, and it bothers me to no end. I like tea the way God made it. Keep your commie sugar to yourself.

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 01:32 PM

Oh hell no.

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 01:34 PM
There IS a good reason to put sugar in tea.

Is sucks less if you do.

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2006, 01:35 PM
You people don't like sweet tea?

proud gonzo
4/13/2006, 01:35 PM
you mean sweet tea?

1stTimeCaller
4/13/2006, 01:40 PM
thinking about another thread, if OK was really a Southern state you would have to ask for unsweetened tea. In the South it is assumed that you want sweet tea.

Okla-homey
4/13/2006, 01:41 PM
My SC bride is a sweet tea afficionado. Done right, the sugar is added while the brew is still hot. The sugar is stirred in and dissolves quickly. Then, she adds cold water to fill the pitcher.

To me, it looks like about a cup of white sugar to a two quart pitcher.

I must admit, this method results in a tasty beverage.

sooneron
4/13/2006, 01:43 PM
There is something to say about either form. Good sweet tea can RMFO, while un can be very satisfying.

Okla-homey
4/13/2006, 01:43 PM
thinking about another thread, if OK was really a Southern state you would have to ask for unsweetened tea. In the South it is assumed that you want sweet tea.

That is a good point. The western sweet tea line of demarcation is somewhere in east TX.

Pricetag
4/13/2006, 01:47 PM
Many of the restaurants around here are asking if you want sweet or regular when you order iced tea now. That has just come about in the last couple of years, though. Before that, about the only one I can think of that had it was Delta Cafe.

TopDaugIn2000
4/13/2006, 01:49 PM
ick, I hate sweet tea!!!!!!!

UNsweet please.

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 01:49 PM
Bill Millers has excellent sweet tea.

Too bad their BBQ sucks.

BoogercountySooner
4/13/2006, 01:51 PM
I like both!

JohnnyMack
4/13/2006, 01:56 PM
Sweet tea is teh succ

ChickSoonerFan
My SC bride is a sweet tea afficionado. Done right, the sugar is added while the brew is still hot. The sugar is stirred in and dissolves quickly. Then, she adds cold water to fill the pitcher.

Perfection.

Mjcpr
Bill Millers has excellent sweet tea.

Too bad their BBQ sucks.

For the best sweet tea, please visit McAlister's Deli.

YWIA

White House Boy
4/13/2006, 01:59 PM
Good Lord, how can anyone's palate tolerate unsweetened tea?

Okla-homey's bride has the correct way to make bonafide southern sweet tea. If you wait to put the sugar in it after you've put in the additional water and the ice... you're screwed.

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 02:01 PM

YWIA
I'm not a tea fan, but if I have to drink it, I prefer sweetened.

If I have to sweeten it myself, I use the pink packets. Just because they desolve easy.

BeetDigger
4/13/2006, 02:02 PM
I hate sweet tea. But if I want to flirt with the waitress, I just tell her to dip her pinky in it, that should sweeten it up plenty.

GDC
4/13/2006, 02:04 PM
Splenda

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 02:04 PM
I hate sweet tea. But if I want to flirt with the waitress, I just tell her to dip her pinky in it, that should sweeten it up plenty.
THAT'S FLIRTING.

What you asked me to do because you wanted your melon to be salty IS NOT FLIRTING.

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 02:17 PM

yankee! :mad:

tea is 'posed to be sweet.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/13/2006, 02:32 PM
Sweet tea is nasty. It tastes like sugar flavored metal.

I prefer mine unsweetened with lemon. Neighbors makes some good teas with fruit flavor infused into the leaves though.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/13/2006, 02:34 PM
BTW, I used to work with a woman who had perfected iced tea/lemonade. It was sweetened tea with so many lemon slices in the big silver thingie.

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 02:35 PM

I prefer mine unsweetened with lemon. Neighbors makes some good teas with fruit flavor infused into the leaves though.

Let me guess, you call it the Civil War, too? :texan:

You talkin about your neighbors, or the Neighbors family of coffee fame?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/13/2006, 02:36 PM
Let me guess, you call it the Civil War, too? :texan:

You talkin about your neighbors, or the Neighbors family of coffee fame?The Neighbors Family. AKA Java Dave's

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 02:36 PM
BTW, I used to work with a woman who had perfected iced tea/lemonade. It was sweetened tea with so many lemon slices in the big silver thingie.

Sweet Tea + Lemonade = Arnold Palmer

Give it a try. Kind of like a non-alcoholic Black & Tan or Half & Half.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/13/2006, 02:37 PM
Sweet Tea + Lemonade = Arnold Palmer

Give it a try. Kind of like a non-alcoholic Black & Tan or Half & Half.Starbuck's has it, but just like everything else, they charge about $5 for 16 oz.

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 02:37 PM
usually in restaurants it's TOO sweet for my taste. if i'm in the mood for sweet tea i ask for half and half.

usually i prefer unsweetened though

Hamhock
4/13/2006, 02:40 PM
communism > unsweet tea

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 02:42 PM
if i'm in the mood for sweet tea i ask for half and half.

What does a dairy product have anything to do with iced tea?

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 02:43 PM
What does a dairy product have anything to do with iced tea?

half sweet tea and half unsweet tea.

i don't need that much sugar. i'm pretty sweet already

Sooner in Tampa
4/13/2006, 03:01 PM
Allrightty then...you damn yankees...tea is suppose to be sweet...PERIOD!!!! It was also made to be drank while you are eatin some bonesuckin good BBQ.

TopDaugIn2000
4/13/2006, 03:01 PM
sugar in your tea, salt on your watermelon, pepper on your cantelope.....you people are SICKOS!

Mjcpr
4/13/2006, 03:02 PM
sugar in your tea, salt on your watermelon, pepper on your cantelope.....you people are SICKOS!
I do all three PLUS salt on cantaloupe.

TopDaugIn2000
4/13/2006, 03:03 PM
I do all three PLUS salt on cantaloupe.

then you deserved a good baneing. :P

Sooner in Tampa
4/13/2006, 03:03 PM
OH...and if you didn't want grits, why the hell did you order breakfast.

PhxSooner
4/13/2006, 03:07 PM
My dad's family lives in SW Louisiana. Every meal my grandma would have to make different tea for my parents because my mom wouldn't let us have sweet tea (done the right way). I used to sneak some without my mom seeing. Good stuff. I think out here "sweet tea" means Sweet-in-Low on the side. Uh uh.

StoopTroup
4/13/2006, 03:08 PM
http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/ac/02/ec_1.JPG

4/13/2006, 03:16 PM
I would gladly rape and kill any one of you for a baja chalupa.

GDC
4/13/2006, 03:31 PM
Sun tea or brewed?

Sooner in Tampa
4/13/2006, 03:34 PM
I prefer brewed, but sun tea is acceptable.

JohnnyMack
4/13/2006, 03:42 PM
I would gladly rape and kill any one of you for a baja chalupa.

I nominate 1tc.

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2006, 03:56 PM

YWIA

Truer words have never been spoken . . . a gallon of McAlister's sweet tea is worth every penny.

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2006, 04:00 PM

unless the canteloupe is real sweet you gotsta have a little salt on it :)

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 04:02 PM

That would be correct, sir.

tulsaoilerfan
4/13/2006, 04:03 PM
Gotta have it straight, with lemon; sugar kills it for me.

C&CDean
4/13/2006, 04:05 PM
I ain't a tea snob. I'll drink it sweet, unsweet, lemon, whatever. However, that nasty **** you buy in a can with the sweet/lemon flavor should be outlawed.

And sun tea (properly prepared) blows brewed tea away. It has to be 100 degrees + for proper sun tea though. 110 degrees makes perfect sun tea.

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 04:07 PM
I concur, the can stuff is total ****.

Sooner in Tampa
4/13/2006, 04:08 PM
That would be correct, sir.He is a lucky man!!!

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 04:09 PM
He is a lucky man!!!

That's how I was taught to make tea, and will teach my daughter to
make tea, as God intended it.

Sooner in Tampa
4/13/2006, 04:11 PM
That's how I was taught to make tea, and will teach my daughter to
make tea, as God intended it.Yes sir...I have 4 daughters and their momma is teaching them this same method.

Damn...this should have been in the simple pleasures thread :O

TopDaugIn2000
4/13/2006, 04:12 PM
that's how my mom used to make it, but I never liked tea during that time. Finally figured out it was cause of the sugar. Started drinking the hell outta unsweetened tea once I figured that out.

pb4ou
4/13/2006, 04:18 PM

Liquid metal??? :eek:

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 04:32 PM
yankee! :mad:

Yankees don't even drink iced tea.

Three things to never order if you're north of Oklahoma: Tex-Mex, iced tea, and chicken fried steak.

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 04:34 PM
I ordered sweet iced tea in Minneapolis once. Won't make that mistake again.

"you're from the south, aren't you"

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 04:34 PM
I prefer brewed, but sun tea is acceptable.

If it's done right, sun tea >> brewed tea.

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 04:35 PM
Yankees don't even drink iced tea.

Three things to never order if you're north of Oklahoma: Tex-Mex, iced tea, and chicken fried steak.

I would like to add chili to that list.

have you ever had cincinatti chili? :barf:

C&CDean
4/13/2006, 04:40 PM

I did a presentation last year in Cincinnati, and they gave me a gift basket with a couple cans of that Cincinnati chili. One bite. Can you say Alpo? Supa nasty.

I was in Alexandria Virginia earlier this week. In Old Town, they've got an "Austin Grill" and a "Hardtimes Cafe." One is supposed to be Mexican, the other is supposed to have "world-famous chili." They both make canned Hormel and Beanie Weenies taste like gourmet.

And I tried one of those Chipotle burritos yesterday. Beef, hot sauce, etc. The American judge gives it a solid 6. The tacos were better. Would I be a pig if I ate 4 tacos and a burrito there?

Howzit
4/13/2006, 04:46 PM

Skyline?

My running partner is from Cincinnati and he and his wife went on and on and on about Skyline chili. When I finally tasted it - blech. I tink they put cinnamon in it, and it's really greasy.

StoopTroup
4/13/2006, 04:51 PM
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_sep2003/LunchSpecial.jpg

C&CDean
4/13/2006, 04:52 PM
Skyline?

My running partner is from Cincinnati and he and his wife went on and on and on about Skyline chili. When I finally tasted it - blech. I tink they put cinnamon in it, and it's really greasy.

That's it. I've still got a can if you want it. I've eaten some nasty **** in my day in the hunting camp, but Skyline chili trumps all. Seriously, I've eaten canned dogfood before and it is better than Skyline chili.

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 04:57 PM
I ain't a tea snob. I'll drink it sweet, unsweet, lemon, whatever. However, that nasty **** you buy in a can with the sweet/lemon flavor should be outlawed.

And sun tea (properly prepared) blows brewed tea away. It has to be 100 degrees + for proper sun tea though. 110 degrees makes perfect sun tea.

that sounds snobby to me.

dissin' the canned tea

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 05:00 PM
that sounds snobby to me.

dissin' the canned tea

Not snobby, just common sense.

GottaHavePride
4/13/2006, 05:00 PM
And I tried one of those Chipotle burritos yesterday. Beef, hot sauce, etc. The American judge gives it a solid 6. The tacos were better. Would I be a pig if I ate 4 tacos and a burrito there?

Exactly. Chipotle isn't the best food ever, but it's a damn sight better than most chain fast-food places. And you get a LOT.

Oh, and sweet tea RMFO.

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 05:03 PM
I did a presentation last year in Cincinnati, and they gave me a gift basket with a couple cans of that Cincinnati chili. One bite. Can you say Alpo? Supa nasty.

I was in Alexandria Virginia earlier this week. In Old Town, they've got an "Austin Grill" and a "Hardtimes Cafe." One is supposed to be Mexican, the other is supposed to have "world-famous chili." They both make canned Hormel and Beanie Weenies taste like gourmet.

Skyline?

yup. skyline. looks like dog diarrhea. I got some in a gift basket one year. It wasn't for me, it was for the people that lived there before me, but when i called the company, i couldn't return it, they told me to keep it. I was thinking..the person who sent this stuff must really hate the guy that lived here before...

1stTimeCaller
4/13/2006, 05:04 PM
I nominate 1tc.

you can't rape the willin'.

wait, what are we talking about?

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 05:05 PM
Not snobby, just common sense.

i know..i hate that crap too. and i won't drink tea from fast food restaurants if it is that fountain stuff. it HAS to be brewed.

StoopTroup
4/13/2006, 05:05 PM
Some people like it in the can.

Who knew?

pb4ou
4/13/2006, 05:16 PM
not me

OU Adonis
4/13/2006, 05:34 PM
Unsweetened tea sucks

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 05:42 PM
I had a Cincinnati Cheese Coney at the Brick last week. Not bad, especially with some of their brown mustard.

Weirdest thing about Cincinnati is putting chili on spaghetti. VOM-MIT! :confused:

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 05:44 PM
Weirdest thing about Cincinnati is putting chili on spaghetti. VOM-MIT! :confused:

Chili on spaghetti is AWESOME. That's the way Big Boy did it back in the day.

Does Big Boy still exist anywhere?

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 05:44 PM

YWIA

Raisin' Cane's sweet tea totally pwns McAlister's.

I don't think they sell it by the gallon, though. :(

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2006, 05:55 PM
Raisin' Cane's sweet tea totally pwns McAlister's.

I don't think they sell it by the gallon, though. :(

It must be very, very good if it does . . .

I remember I was in Ames, Iowa about 12 or 13 years ago and asked for tea. They brought me freakin' hot tea . . . I had no idea I needed to actually say iced tea.

Freakin' pig farmers.

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 05:58 PM
It must be very, very good if it does . . .

If McAlister's was a 10, Cane's would be a 15!

It's seriously good stuff.

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 06:01 PM
I remember I was in Ames, Iowa about 12 or 13 years ago and asked for tea. They brought me freakin' hot tea . . . I had no idea I needed to actually say iced tea.

Ahem.

And if you do manage to get iced tea, it comes in a small glass with no free refills.

OUHOMER
4/13/2006, 06:58 PM
no sugar in coffee, no sugar in my tea....if the good lord wanted sugar in it , he would have cross breed it with sugarcane...

slickdawg
4/13/2006, 06:59 PM

You gotta be lovin' some Raising Cane's !

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 08:43 PM
no sugar in coffee, no sugar in my tea....if the good lord wanted sugar in it , he would have cross breed it with sugarcane...
If he wanted us to drink coffee he wouldn't let Juan Valdez' burrow urinate all over the beans.

MamaMia
4/13/2006, 08:50 PM
I like sweet, unsweetened, spiced, hot and cold, depending on my mood. You can order Sweet tea from the Grandys drive up window. :)

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 08:52 PM
depending on my mood
understood with all women.............

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2006, 09:00 PM
Ahem.

And if you do manage to get iced tea, it comes in a small glass with no free refills.

Oh I ended up getting it . . . I just had to ask for it correctly. :D

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2006, 09:01 PM

I've gotta have a little sugar in my coffee. :O

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2006, 09:01 PM

Where can I get some?

jdsooner
4/13/2006, 09:02 PM
Sweet Tea RULES!

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 09:03 PM
Where can I get some?
I googled the place myself.

link (http://www.google.com/webhp)

Al Gore
4/13/2006, 09:17 PM
Tell them Dean...."Sweet Tea is for Wussies".....

Oldnslo
4/13/2006, 09:39 PM
Want some whisky in your water?
Sugar in your tea?
What's all these crazy questions you're asking me?

Jimminy Crimson
4/13/2006, 11:48 PM
Where can I get some?

Their only Oklahoma location so far is in Norman at 12th and Alameda.

You should see them opening up in Edmond and OKC sometime soon. It is a chain based out of Baton Rouge. The extent of their menu is chicken fingers, fries, and sweet tea. (garlic toast and cole slaw come with the meal, too)

bigdsooner
4/14/2006, 01:01 AM
unsweetened is tolerable, sweet tea is some damn good drink.

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2006, 01:17 AM
Their only Oklahoma location so far is in Norman at 12th and Alameda.

You should see them opening up in Edmond and OKC sometime soon. It is a chain based out of Baton Rouge. The extent of their menu is chicken fingers, fries, and sweet tea. (garlic toast and cole slaw come with the meal, too)

Cool. Thanks.

Jimminy Crimson
4/14/2006, 01:38 AM
Cool. Thanks.

Actually, I could see Stilly getting one as well b/c the chain caters to the college crowd - open until 3am every night, if I remember right.