PDA

View Full Version : I can hear the smack talking now...

OUstudent4life
4/13/2006, 01:26 PM
...and I forsee a whole new crop of "OSU = THE University of Oklahoma" bumper stickers.

Dubya is their commencement speaker this year.

http://newsok.com/article/1815109/?template=home/main

As an aside, that bumper sticker, and the "OSU = Oklahoma's top rated medical school" billboard drive me up the wall, since they're both completely false.

sooneron
4/13/2006, 01:28 PM
I didn't know they had a Medical Center (for Humans).

OUstudent4life
4/13/2006, 01:31 PM
They don't.

They have an Osteopathic school.

NOT a medical school.

The more I think about this, it might be a good thing. Bush's public speaking ability is on the level of the intelligence of most cowboy grads :D.

crawfish
4/13/2006, 01:35 PM
It must be getting more and more difficult to find a crowd that makes him look smart.

:D

duckbutter
4/13/2006, 01:36 PM
wow, maybe we can get hillary to out do them. j/k

proud gonzo
4/13/2006, 01:37 PM
oh jesus. And ours is Katie Couric.

4/13/2006, 01:38 PM
If we just get Stoops to speak, we'll have out-done them.

the_ouskull
It's gonna be pretty sad when Bush is making up words... as per usual... during his speech, and the Aggies AREN'T looking them up because they all already speak Dumb.

the_ouskull

Sooner_Bob

Howard Stern wasn't available.

Osce0la
4/13/2006, 01:40 PM
It's gonna be pretty sad when Bush is making up words... as per usual... during his speech, and the Aggies AREN'T looking them up because they all already speak Dumb.

the_ouskull
What are you talking about? I heard Bush scored a 7 on the Wonderlic...

JohnnyMack
4/13/2006, 01:41 PM
If we just get a potted plant to speak, we'll have out-done them.

Fixed.

bri
4/13/2006, 01:42 PM
The worst part is gonna be the fact that they say the speech will only last 30 minutes, but seven hours later they'll still be there....

OUstudent4life
4/13/2006, 01:42 PM

Will it be Katie Couric, loveable morning news show anchor?

Or Katherine Couric, hard-hitting evening news reporter?

<sigh> I wonder who the commencement speaker will be when I finish...

Okla-homey
4/13/2006, 01:46 PM
...and I forsee a whole new crop of "OSU = THE University of Oklahoma" bumper stickers.

Dubya is their commencement speaker this year.

http://newsok.com/article/1815109/?template=home/main

As an aside, that bumper sticker, and the "OSU = Oklahoma's top rated medical school" billboard drive me up the wall, since they're both completely false.

I'm sure T.Boone called him and told him to get over to Booneville and he said "yes Mr. Pickens."

BTW, Stoolwater better be ready for an epic freakazoid protester turn-out.

BeetDigger
4/13/2006, 02:08 PM
I can hear it now "It is a great honor to give this commencement address. And I would like to thank the President of the University for the gift of an official OSU sheep."

Osce0la
4/13/2006, 02:09 PM
I can hear it now "It is a great honor to give this commencement address. And I would like to thank the President of the University for the gift of a violated OSU sheep."
:eek:

TopDaugIn2000
4/13/2006, 02:10 PM
BTW, Stoolwater better be ready for an epic freakazoid protester turn-out.

IN!

OU4LIFE
4/13/2006, 02:12 PM
They don't.

NOT a medical school.

The more I think about this, it might be a good thing. Bush's public speaking ability is on the level of the intelligence of most cowboy grads :D.

Not that Osteopaths are any less of a Doctor. I prefer D.O.'s over M.D.'s personally.

OUstudent4life
4/13/2006, 02:33 PM
Granted. I know several DO's that are great clinicians.

The inferiority complex about demanding to be called a medical school is what drives me batty. The best DO's usually are those that did a residency with a medical school.

NOW STOP THREADJACKING! :D

Oh, wait, I already did that. :O

SicEmBaylor
4/13/2006, 02:35 PM
They don't.

NOT a medical school.

Osteopaths are doctors. My dad graduated from OSU Medical.

soonerscuba
4/13/2006, 05:12 PM
Heh, any takers on if the words Ohio State University are mentioned in the speech?

StoopTroup
4/13/2006, 05:17 PM
Osteopaths are doctors. My dad graduated from OSU Medical.
Most of them are better Doctors IMO...

GottaHavePride
4/13/2006, 05:26 PM
Heh, any takers on if the words Ohio State University are mentioned in the speech?

Heh.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/13/2006, 05:57 PM
aggy fared better for commencement speakers than OU, and you lefties among us know it. From the university who gave Anita Hill to the world, we now announce our invitation to Katie Couric to speak. Ya think she'll talk about her domestic, or foreign policy? or cutting edge advancements in plastic surgery. Whatever her subject,I'm sure she will be inspiring, great patriot that she is.

bri
4/13/2006, 06:10 PM
Can someone tell me what that guy just said? I left my decoder ring in the No-Spin Zone...

4/13/2006, 06:13 PM
Can someone tell me what that guy just said? I left my decoder ring in the No-Spin Zone...I thought it was pretty clearly stated. What are your specific questions?;)

bri
4/13/2006, 06:41 PM
Well, for starters, what does "patriotism" have to do with Katie Couric being a crappy morning show personality? I didn't recieve a copy of the talking points, so I'm out of the loop.

Stoop Dawg
4/13/2006, 06:42 PM
Can someone tell me what that guy just said? I left my decoder ring in the No-Spin Zone...

Yeah, here it is, right next to your sense of reality.

bri
4/13/2006, 06:43 PM
Ah, how I missed the thoughtful discourse of the South Oval.

For the past 9 months, I had to make due with just ramming my head against a wall...

Stoop Dawg
4/13/2006, 06:47 PM
If by "thoughtful discourse" you mean "tiresome lyric threads" then I agree.

bri
4/13/2006, 06:48 PM
Oh, SNAP! You sure got me there!

Man, I can't compete. I'm totally outmatched here.

Oh, wait, no I'm not.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/13/2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah bri! Fighting makes you look much smarter!

You've been gone way too long...

bri
4/13/2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but I had been doing SO good! I went almost ten whole months without hating America...

4/13/2006, 07:09 PM
Well, for starters, what does "patriotism" have to do with Katie Couric being a crappy morning show personality? I didn't recieve a copy of the talking points, so I'm out of the loop.She's just another boring tiresome lefty. OU is playing PC to the hilt.

JohnnyMack
4/13/2006, 07:11 PM
aggy fared better for commencement speakers than OU, and you lefties among us know it. From the university who gave Anita Hill to the world, we now announce our invitation to Katie Couric to speak. Ya think she'll talk about her domestic, or foreign policy? or cutting edge advancements in plastic surgery. Whatever her subject,I'm sure she will be inspiring, great patriot that she is.

W is one of the worst extemporaneous speakers evar. At least with a prepared speech he won't sound like such a *********.

Okla-homey
4/13/2006, 07:13 PM
I'll tell you something else. I've been involved with a few of these presidential visit/commencement address shindigs.

When the pokey parents, grandparents, baby daddies and baby mamas all find out the rules, restrictions, limited tickets, and worst of all the fact the proud families of 'bout to grajitate polkies will have to pass through magnetometers, have their arses in their seats three hours before the thing starts and will have to manage to get within miles of the joint amid the sea of media and loopy protesters....They'll wanna shoot the bastage that invited the Prez.

Think about it. Mr Poke Senior :stunned: wants all the fam to see him, especially now that the Prez is coming too. But wait, only two seats allowed per graduating senior. The rest of his adoring family and friends get to watch on a big diamond-vision screen set up in some cow pasture. At least that's the way it went down at Auburn. Can't have too big a crowd you know. Might get oughtta control.

Of course, they're all Yay Us! now. Just wait til the Secret Service advance team rolls in and lays down the law. I've seen grown university administrators break down in tears. seriously.

I say, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of aggsters.

SicEmBaylor
4/13/2006, 07:17 PM
OSh*tU has had some decent speakers in the past for commencement or as part of a University lecture series. I went to see Margaret Thatcher when she spoke up there a few years ago and it was a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

sooneron
4/13/2006, 07:50 PM
Thatch spoke at OU for commencement back in the day.

sooneron
4/13/2006, 07:53 PM
If the neo cons on this board can't glom onto something besides Couric being "anti- American lefty" then I have given them too much credit.

Okla-homey
4/13/2006, 08:01 PM
If the neo cons on this board can't glom onto something besides Couric being "anti- American lefty" then I have given them too much credit.

She's too perky. How's that?

sooneron
4/13/2006, 08:09 PM
She's too perky. How's that?
Much better.

But I really don't consider you a neo con as evidenced by your Presidential statement in the other Couric thread. As in, not really drinking the kool aid.

4/13/2006, 08:20 PM
Much better.

But I really don't consider you a neo con as evidenced by your Presidential statement in the other Couric thread. As in, not really drinking the kool aid.What is your definition of "neo-con"? Also, what are the kool aid ideas you speak of?

4/13/2006, 08:22 PM
If the neo cons on this board can't glom onto something besides Couric being "anti- American lefty" then I have given them too much credit.I find that quite a good enough reason not to be enamored with her as the commencement speaker at my alma mater, since it is an American university.

sooneron
4/13/2006, 08:23 PM
What is your definition of "neo-con"? Also, what are the kool aid ideas you speak of?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservative

People following/believing everything that comes out of the administration.

sooneron
4/13/2006, 08:24 PM
I find that quite a good enough reason not to be enamored with her as the commencement speaker at my alma mater, since it is an American university.
Yeah, OK, please point to an Anti American comment by her.

PhxSooner
4/13/2006, 08:29 PM
My uncle is an OSU prof (I know, black sheep of the family) and was there when Bush Senior spoke as president. They went through security in graduation gowns, out of them, poked, prodded, and in their seats for hours, like Homey said. He enjoyed it, but it was a hassle.

When Bush Sr. spoke at my brother's graduation, we just watched him come in from a helicopter. I don't remember any major security, but that was in '97.

Okla-homey
4/13/2006, 08:39 PM
My uncle is an OSU prof (I know, black sheep of the family) and was there when Bush Senior spoke as president. They went through security in graduation gowns, out of them, poked, prodded, and in their seats for hours, like Homey said. He enjoyed it, but it was a hassle.

When Bush Sr. spoke at my brother's graduation, we just watched him come in from a helicopter. I don't remember any major security, but that was in '97.

Yep, and just wait till they experience the post-911 2006 version.:eek:

sooneron
4/13/2006, 08:49 PM
Yep, and just wait till they experience the post-911 2006 version.:eek:
With a sitting president!:texan:

picasso
4/13/2006, 11:45 PM
Bush 41 spoke there back in the 90's. someone at oSuville must be tight with 'em.

4/14/2006, 12:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservative

People following/believing everything that comes out of the administration.Interesting info in the link. I think few lay people who are conservatives of any nuance know what is meant by neo-con. Probably even fewer libz know what the term means(just guessing, of course).

4/14/2006, 12:24 AM
Yeah, OK, please point to an Anti American comment by her.Virtually EVERY republican or conservative I've ever seen her interview, she is short with, often rude, and never gives the benefit of any doubt to; the opposite is true of the leftists she interviews. It's disgraceful we are having her speak at OU commencement.

SicEmBaylor
4/14/2006, 12:28 AM
The short answer is the neo-conservative movement is roughly based on the ideas of Strauss and originally made up of disenchanted communists (especially Trotskyites)who moved to the right after being fairly radical during the 1960's.

The movement has expanded of course and generally the term (either rightly or wrongly depending on your point of view)is now used to describe one who advocates using an aggressive foreign policy (either diplomatically or militarily) in order to support and force democracy onto tyranical regimes abroad.

Traditionally neo-conservatives have been less concerned with keeping government small at home and are willing to sacrafice small government principles for the sake of an aggressive foreign policy. The "Big-Government Conservative" movement has folded itself into the neo-conservative movement.

Stoop Dawg
4/14/2006, 01:19 PM

To me, it's not that Couric is "bad", per se. It's that the freaking President of the United States is quite obviously "better". I don't think that's too hard to grasp for anyone of even average intelligence.

NormanPride
4/14/2006, 01:31 PM
As a person who graduated recently, I'd much rather have a semi-attractive, well-spoken female speak than W spouting off about all his nukular shenanigans. I've always thought those speakers were pretty useless to begin with, really. I'm all for getting the paper, then drinking a ****load afterwards to celebrate.

BigRedJed
4/14/2006, 01:36 PM
Mmm... ...perky.

Octavian
4/14/2006, 02:00 PM
"I'd like tuh thank Presudint Shimdleh for having me." [applause]

...turns, nods, faces crowd again....smirks

"And I'd like tuh thank all of you too for havin' me here at the home of the Oklahoma Cowboys."

:stunned: crowd

Octavian
4/14/2006, 02:02 PM
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3521/presfront8yf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sooneron
4/14/2006, 02:51 PM
Virtually EVERY republican or conservative I've ever seen her interview, she is short with, often rude, and never gives the benefit of any doubt to; the opposite is true of the leftists she interviews. It's disgraceful we are having her speak at OU commencement.
So being a poor journalist with a lean to the left is anit-American?

Uh, OK

4/14/2006, 02:55 PM
So being a poor journalist with a lean to the left is anit-American?

Uh, OKYup.

sooneron
4/14/2006, 03:59 PM
What is it like living in a black and white world? Must be simple.

4/14/2006, 04:00 PM
... like an old anit thing.

picasso
4/14/2006, 04:23 PM
people. when we captured Saddam in that bung hole Couric was on the air asking reporters if we were treating him nicely and being nice to him and stuff.:confused:

sooneron
4/14/2006, 04:25 PM
people. when we captured Saddam in that bung hole Couric was on the air asking reporters if we were treating him nicely and being nice to him and stuff.:confused:
Yeah, that's out of professional greed. She's trying to find a story that isn't there. Not b/c she is anti-American.

picasso
4/14/2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah, that's out of professional greed. She's trying to find a story that isn't there. Not b/c she is anti-American.
could be, sure.

but you have to admit that many and I mean many people in the news media services would love to see us (Bush) fail in the middle east.

that's just pathetic. sorry.

sooneron
4/14/2006, 04:30 PM
The pathetic thing about it, is they feel it would make for better news.

4/14/2006, 05:22 PM
The pathetic thing about it, is they feel it would make for better news.The more pathetic thing is that they seriously WANT US TO FAIL in the war in Iraq. It seems to me the mainstream media values their crusade to bring down Bush, however they can, as more important than journalistic integrity. Maybe that's black and white and not complex enough for you, but it is a sincere opinion.

sooneron
4/14/2006, 05:34 PM
The complexity is that everyone loves a car crash and slows down to take a look. This is what's known as "R-A-T-I-N-G-S". They're all over Bush the same way they were all over Willie and Monica. Basically, they're whores for attention and money. And attention = money.

sooneron
4/14/2006, 05:36 PM
Do Katie's affiliations go to the left? Probably. Mine do to an extent. I think W is something of fool that was shat out of the right womb to the right people. I guess I'm un-American jsut for saying according to your logic.

4/14/2006, 06:06 PM
Do Katie's affiliations go to the left? Probably. Mine do to an extent. I think W is something of fool that was shat out of the right womb to the right people. I guess I'm un-American jsut for saying according to your logic. No, I just think you're wrong. You are, thankfully not another member of the mainstream media. Not that they need you to join their swollen lockstep ranks. According to your logic, Bush is the stupid fool who happened to get elected president because of his parents, and not because he won the election. You guys are just too smart for us black and white folk.

85Sooner
4/14/2006, 06:09 PM
ou= Katie Couric
OSU= Dubya

OSU wins this big time. Unless katies in a micro mini of course.

I bet she hears a few boos. She needs to stay on the coast closer to the safety of her libral buddies.

4/14/2006, 06:19 PM
ou= Katie Couric
OSU= Dubya

OSU wins this big time. Unless katies in a micro mini of course.

I bet she hears a few boos. She needs to stay on the coast closer to the safety of her libral buddies.I am definitely PO'D at her selection. I would like to know who made it, and what the heck they were thinking. It's only slightly better than a militant liberal like Baldwin or Ed Asner. You would think OU would choose someone that has no political undertone, and certainly not a person with obvious leftist leanings, such as Couric.

StoopTroup
4/14/2006, 06:24 PM
We can't lose the War in Iraq.

It's been over for awhile now.

SoonerInKCMO
4/14/2006, 08:39 PM
You buncha tardbillies.

OSU is the aggie & mechanical university of the state. OU is the liberal arts university - of course we're gonna get a left-of-center person to speak. :texan:

bri
4/14/2006, 09:56 PM
You would think OU would choose someone that has no political undertone...

Wouldn't the sitting President of the United States of America have a "political undertone"?

Using your very own reasoning, OU made a far better and less offensive choice than aggy.

GottaHavePride
4/14/2006, 10:15 PM
There is absolutely no selection for a commencement speaker that comes without a political undertone. Even Willie Nelson would come with a political undertone, because his speech would probably consist of "remember to pay your taxes!" or something.

4/15/2006, 01:12 AM
Wouldn't the sitting President of the United States of America have a "political undertone"?

Using your very own reasoning, OU made a far better and less offensive choice than aggy.When someone thinks the fiscally liberal POTUS is more offensive than some fully leftist twit member of the drive-by media, then perhaps the balance scale is weighted to the left.
Sorry bri, a POTUS commencement speaker is as good as a university can get, even if you don't like him.

bri
4/15/2006, 06:00 AM
That may be, but it doesn't change what you said. Using your very own reasoning, we should have someone like Couric who isn't overtly political instead of polarizing public figures like McCain or Bush the younger.

colleyvillesooner
4/15/2006, 08:54 AM
I'm coming back in 5 hours for his answer :D

4/15/2006, 11:36 AM
An unpolitical speaker would be best, but if you choose to have a pollitical speaker, why have a silly-a*sed leftist twit? Neutral>political right>political left.

bri
4/15/2006, 12:39 PM
Um, Katie Couric isn't a political speaker. She's a borderline journalist, speaking at a college that is known for (among other things) its J-school. She's only political because you don't agree with her personal views. Until she reads a manifesto on-air or calls for the defeat of America, I think she's safe.

4/15/2006, 01:05 PM
Um, Katie Couric isn't a political speaker. She's a borderline journalist, speaking at a college that is known for (among other things) its J-school. She's only political because you don't agree with her personal views. Until she reads a manifesto on-air or calls for the defeat of America, I think she's safe. I hope she doesn't call for the defeat of America in the commencement speech, but I wouldn't be shocked if she did. If I agreed with her political views, she would still be political. Only difference is, I would be a leftist.

bri
4/15/2006, 01:10 PM
Dude, if we use your crazy logic, EVERYONE is political. Who the f*ck would you have speak at graduations?

Man, it's been a while since I've gone THIS far down the rabbit hole.

Octavian
4/15/2006, 01:14 PM
Dude, if we use your crazy logic, EVERYONE is political. Who the f*ck would you have speak at graduations?

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3695/parrot3wn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

StoopTroup
4/15/2006, 01:18 PM
It's the only College that wanted him.

4/15/2006, 01:20 PM

Man, it's been a while since I've gone THIS far down the rabbit hole.So, you think it's better to have a left-leaning speaker than a right-leaning speaker? What crazy logic? They could have chosen a sports or business leader that is not politically outspoken like Couric is.(Unfortunately, practically everyone in the media and in entertainment are politically active) Maybe the president of Braums or Sonic drive-ins, or some other super-successful Oklahoma business.(I am treating your question as serious)

bri
4/15/2006, 03:12 PM
See, the crux of your indignation is that Couric is left-leaning. Which I can understand, since you are obviously a rightie. And that's cool. But to make such a mountain out of your personal molehill is laughable and tiresome. I think that's the point of the first four pages of this thread. You don't like Katie Couric...hell, I don't like Katie Couric. But I don't think this is even a BLIP on the radar of "things that are wrong with the world", and neither does 99.9% of this board.

SicEmBaylor
4/15/2006, 03:28 PM
"Borderline Journalist" is being a little too kind. She does baking segments, and reports on the new baby monkey in the Kalamazoo Zoo.

I was never a fan of Dan Rather, but at least the man built a career out of real hard news journalism.

And I personally don't think she's qualified to even spit shine Bob Schiffer's shoes.

If that's the kind of "journalist" that OSU wants to showcase then it only degrades OSU and OSU's Journalism Department.

SoonerInKCMO
4/15/2006, 03:30 PM
If that's the kind of "journalist" that OSU wants to showcase then it only degrades OSU and OSU's Journalism Department.

You have it backwards. OSU gets the POTUS while OU gets Couric.

4/15/2006, 03:32 PM
See, the crux of your indignation is that Couric is left-leaning. Which I can understand, since you are obviously a rightie. And that's cool. But to make such a mountain out of your personal molehill is laughable and tiresome. I think that's the point of the first four pages of this thread. You don't like Katie Couric...hell, I don't like Katie Couric. But I don't think this is even a BLIP on the radar of "things that are wrong with the world", and neither does 99.9% of this board.And I agree with you on the point of this being only a blip on things that are wrong with the world. This thread would probably not been as tiresome for you if you hadn't tried so hard to convince me it is even less important than it is. I think it is indicative of a problem of political naivete(sp.?) AT BEST, on the part of whoever scheduled her. People get into trouble as a result of ignoring or dismissing problems.
I encourage you to start a thread about something you feel is important to discuss.

royalfan5
4/15/2006, 03:32 PM
Honestly how many people pay attention to their commencement speaker? I ingnored my undergrad commencement speaker, granted she was the worst out the four years I was there, we got some philantrohpist after getting Chuck Hagel, Martin Marty, and Francis Fukuyama the prior three years. Really what impact does the commencement speaker really have on people?

4/15/2006, 03:43 PM
Honestly how many people pay attention to their commencement speaker? I ingnored my undergrad commencement speaker, granted she was the worst out the four years I was there, we got some philantrohpist after getting Chuck Hagel, Martin Marty, and Francis Fukuyama the prior three years. Really what impact does the commencement speaker really have on people?It shows a degree of acceptance or indorsement by the university.

bri
4/15/2006, 03:43 PM
Really what impact does the commencement speaker really have on people?

On people? None. On knickers, however, they have a great twisting power...

SicEmBaylor
4/15/2006, 03:44 PM
You have it backwards. OSU gets the POTUS while OU gets Couric.

Ouch.

Then it's a blemish on OSU's Poli Sci dept. rather than the journalism dept. :D

Kidding.

bri
4/15/2006, 03:45 PM
It shows a degree of acceptance or indorsement by the university.

Yes, but for the 50 percent of the country that is moderate or left of center, we don't care. It's all your point of view, and you're trying REALLY hard to pass it as fact. It's NOT patently bad that a "leftist" is speaking at a major public university, much the same that it's not patently bad that a "right-winger" is speaking at another one.

4/15/2006, 04:03 PM
Yes, but for the 50 percent of the country that is moderate or left of center, we don't care. It's all your point of view, and you're trying REALLY hard to pass it as fact. It's NOT patently bad that a "leftist" is speaking at a major public university, much the same that it's not patently bad that a "right-winger" is speaking at another one.It's not so good! Applied leftist idealogy has never produced much success, and certainly very little freedom anywhere. Someday, you guys might come to realize that.

bri
4/15/2006, 04:18 PM
Oh, is this the part where social liberalism in America gets compared to Communism? 'Cause that's aways my favorite part.

4/15/2006, 04:23 PM
Oh, is this the part where social liberalism in America gets compared to Communism? 'Cause that's aways my favorite part.I find these comments to be laughable and tiresome.

bri
4/15/2006, 04:33 PM
I find these comments to be laughable and tiresome.

Oh, wait, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get ahead of you.

Here, you go ahead and call liberals "commies" and I'll act all surprised as if I haven't the same thing from dozens of interchangeable conservatives just like you around here over the last six years...

4/15/2006, 04:41 PM
Oh, wait, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get ahead of you.

Here, you go ahead and call liberals "commies" and I'll act all surprised as if I haven't the same thing from dozens of interchangeable conservatives just like you around here over the last six years...Then you must have it figured out that we're all stupid, 'cause you've got tenure here. We're BUSTED!

bri
4/15/2006, 04:49 PM
No, I'm just saying that equating liberals with communists is not only old and tired, but it's akin to posters equating televangelists and pro-life thugs to suicide bombers and extremist Muslim leaders. Or comparing Bush to Hitler. It's pointless and polarizing; it does nothing but drive the wedge further between the two sides.

If you have a point, a REAL point, please make it. I'm trying to be respectful of where you're coming from and your views; but if all you've got to say is that OU inviting Katie Couric to speak to the Class of 2006 at their commencement ceremony is inviting the destruction of Life As We Know It, or part of some sort of larger-reaching "leftist" plot...well, good night and good luck.

4/15/2006, 05:06 PM
No, I'm just saying that equating liberals with communists is not only old and tired, but it's akin to posters equating televangelists and pro-life thugs to suicide bombers and extremist Muslim leaders. Or comparing Bush to Hitler. It's pointless and polarizing; it does nothing but drive the wedge further between the two sides.

If you have a point, a REAL point, please make it. I'm trying to be respectful of where you're coming from and your views; but if all you've got to say is that OU inviting Katie Couric to speak to the Class of 2006 at their commencement ceremony is inviting the destruction of Life As We Know It, or part of some sort of larger-reaching "leftist" plot...well, good night and good luck.All I was ever saying is that it was a naive, AT BEST decision, and doesn't reflect well on OU. Pro-life thugs are criminals,(I think you're talking about those who kill abortionists), and should be prosecuted. I don't think I even insuinuated OU's policy is to espouse socialism, but that whoever chose Couric was not using good sense. I hope that's all there is to it.
If you think capitalism and socialism are equivalent in their ability to deliver prosperity and overall societal satisfaction to people, then we disagree.

Scott D
4/15/2006, 06:21 PM
I sure hope you've written a ton of letters to President Boren about how appaled you are on this matter, because clearly you are going to burst a blood vessel soon if 'something isn't done'.

4/15/2006, 08:28 PM
I sure hope you've written a ton of letters to President Boren about how appaled you are on this matter, because clearly you are going to burst a blood vessel soon if 'something isn't done'.I don't really 'spect anything to get done. When is commencement? Maybe I'll write a letter to Kouric, telling her she's been cancelled, and to refund the OK state taxpayers money, so OU can put it to better use.

bri
4/15/2006, 08:51 PM
Do taxpayers actually pay commencement speakers? I'd think that the University would pay for it, and while OU IS a "public" college, it's not like Bug Tussle High taking some property tax money and hiring Michael Moore to speak at BTHS's graduation...

4/15/2006, 09:01 PM
Do taxpayers actually pay commencement speakers? I'd think that the University would pay for it, and while OU IS a "public" college, it's not like Bug Tussle High taking some property tax money and hiring Michael Moore to speak at BTHS's graduation...Unless they're selling tickets to hear Kouric speak, she's gettin' tax money from OU, or money paid by students and their parents to OU. Don't know how else her fee would be paid.

bri
4/15/2006, 09:11 PM
Okay...

A) Her name is Katie Couric. If you gonna be THIS ****ed off about something, get all six letters right.

B) Maybe everyone should boycott OU. If we don't give them our money, they can't conspire against democracy both here and abroad. Why don't you lead the way?

Octavian
4/15/2006, 09:45 PM
Okay...

A) Her name is Katie Couric. If you gonna be THIS ****ed off about something, get all six letters right.

B) Maybe everyone should boycott OU. If we don't give them our money, they can't conspire against democracy both here and abroad. Why don't you lead the way?

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2513/rabbithole1rz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Scott D
4/15/2006, 10:19 PM
I don't really 'spect anything to get done. When is commencement? Maybe I'll write a letter to Kouric, telling her she's been cancelled, and to refund the OK state taxpayers money, so OU can put it to better use.

What makes you look silly about this is that your only issue seems to be that the speaker doesn't share your personal political views. That is by far the stupidest argument I've heard in why someone shouldn't be a commencement speaker. It will be made even more silly by virtue if by some odd chance in the world she doesn't put a political slant into anything she says. However, based on a track record I think more than a few people would try to find a way to politicize everything that would come out of her mouth.

Where was your 'outrage' when John McCain was the commencement speaker? What about the speaker two years ago, or three, or ten, or 30?

sooneron
4/15/2006, 11:00 PM
John McCain is not anti-American. Katie is, b/c she doesn't speak for/like Wm Favor!
Let it be known that Favor is the judge of all things American from here on out. He is the sole judge. If he does not approve, it should not be. I mean ****, what would happen if the libs hadn't stepped it up for civil rights? Oh yeah, I guess that's a bad thing...

"Applied leftist idealogy has never produced much success, and certainly very little freedom anywhere. Someday, you guys might come to realize that."

Freedom anywhere? What about HERE in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA??
In reference to the above... I guess William Favor wants things the way they were in back in the 50's. Yea! ALL conservatism is good and all liberalism is bad.

Scott D
4/15/2006, 11:07 PM
tis a shame that Senator McCarthy is booked in hell that day eh? ;)

colleyvillesooner
4/15/2006, 11:07 PM
Why does OU hate America?

Can I still root for the football team and NOT like Hitler?

sooneron
4/15/2006, 11:08 PM
Is Strom still a live??

sooneron
4/15/2006, 11:08 PM
CVS has taken a strong turn for the jocular and indignant.

Scott D
4/15/2006, 11:11 PM
Is Strom still a live??

I do believe the old chap recently turned a spry young 298 (yes 98 really) years old....eventually I believe the embalming fluid will run out and he'll wither away like he should have 50 years ago.

sooneron
4/15/2006, 11:16 PM
That's good. I hear G Wallace needs a new bridge partner in Hades.

sooneron
4/15/2006, 11:18 PM
The best thing is that two years from now, no one will remember the commencement speaker or give a **** who it was. Except that lucky little room service dude at the Waterford that boinked the yainch that is Katie.

Okla-homey
4/16/2006, 07:50 AM
OTOH, graduating OU students' mee-maws won't have to show up two hours before the ceremon, stand in long lines to go thru magnetometers and have their purses rifled-thru in order to attend commencement in Norman -- unlike up in Stoolwater.

Also unlikely OU will require posting of SS snipers at prominent locations, so that's definately a plus for OU.:D

Scott D
4/16/2006, 11:56 AM
The best thing is that two hours from when it happens, no one will remember the commencement speaker or give a **** who it was. Except that lucky little room service dude at the Waterford that boinked the yainch that is Katie.

fixed it ;)

bri
4/16/2006, 12:31 PM
Dude, that'd be like f*cking the clown from IT. Kudos to any twisted freak who could finish in that situation...:D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/16/2006, 12:50 PM
Ok, I said this in the other thread and I'll say it here, because obviously some people don't get it.

Last year, John McCain spoke at Commencement. The whole time, all he talked about is how we needed to support the President.

So this year, OU picks Katie Couric. Well I've never thought of her as anything other than a morning TV show host who is supportive of GASP! colon cancer screening.

Next year, they will pick Rush Limbaugh or Orrin Hatch. Possibly Bill O'Reilly who can do his address via telephone complete with tawdry phone sex.

SicEmBaylor
4/16/2006, 02:39 PM
Ok, I said this in the other thread and I'll say it here, because obviously some people don't get it.

Last year, John McCain spoke at Commencement. The whole time, all he talked about is how we needed to support the President.

So this year, OU picks Katie Couric. Well I've never thought of her as anything other than a morning TV show host who is supportive of GASP! colon cancer screening.

Next year, they will pick Rush Limbaugh or Orrin Hatch. Possibly Bill O'Reilly who can do his address via telephone complete with tawdry phone sex.

Hahaha Orin Hatch. I do wish he'd retained chairmanship of the judiciary committee. But, I don't think anyone is going to be having Orin Hatch as a commencement speaker outside of Utah. :D

yermom
4/16/2006, 04:01 PM
i think it's a strange choice because i can't imagine she has anything interesting to say other than to have the graduates' parents get their colons checked for polyps or something

bri
4/16/2006, 04:03 PM
Hey, at least it's something useful. All aggy will learn is a fun new word like "strategamify". :D