PDA

View Full Version : departure rumors

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2006, 11:27 AM
will the rumors of griffin leaving cease now that we have a new coach? any others that had thoughts of going, any rumors on that?

just curious what the buzz is....

i think its interesting Capel had griffin playing in that 2 on 2 yesterday

Sooner in Tampa
4/13/2006, 11:36 AM
will the rumors of griffin leaving cease now that we have a new coach? any others that had thoughts of going, any rumors on that?

just curious what the buzz is....

i think its interesting Capel had griffin playing in that 2 on 2 yesterdayFrom everything that I have read...most, if not all, of the players are kind of excited to have a young coach.

The Oklahoman had an article where Capel talked to the 5 who have signed LOI's and all 5 said they are still coming.

Stanley1
4/13/2006, 11:38 AM
Hmm.....I never heard the rumor of Griffin leaving. I think he just about has to stay now. Right now, he is the starter at PF, and I can't imagine him not being excited about playing for a young guy like Capel.

okienole3
4/13/2006, 11:43 AM
Griffin= Capel's Ryan Minor

Boomer.....
4/13/2006, 11:43 AM
Not to mention Capel recruited him out of high school.

crawfish
4/13/2006, 11:47 AM
It will be an amazing accomplishment if all the players and signees stay on board.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/13/2006, 12:00 PM
I had never heard any rumor of Griffin leaving. I would think if any of the returning players would be leaving at this point it might be Chris Walker but I highly doubt Capel is going to run anyone off.

Griffin is probably going to have all the minutes he can take next year and has a chance to stand out so I doubt he is looking to leave.

I think probably all the players on campus now will be staying. The question is will all the recruits qualify?

ouflak
4/13/2006, 12:48 PM
I know this is a bit out of of left field, but I wonder if Kelvin Sampson isn't making a few phone calls (heh) to these players and convincing them to stay. He sure does seem to very much support coach Capel being here.

the_ouskull
4/13/2006, 01:41 PM
I know that Taylor was hanging out Saturday afternoon with a bunch of other players who are planning on staying around... Take that for what you will.

the_ouskull

stoopified
4/18/2006, 04:37 PM
The sky is not falling,repeat the sky is not falling.

SoonerShark
4/18/2006, 09:17 PM
It will be an amazing accomplishment if all the players and signees stay on board.

It would be nice to keep all of our players. Hasn't happened around here for a while.

OUGreg723
4/18/2006, 09:58 PM
These guys would be morons to leave OU right now. Nothing but bright things are ahead. Capel hasnt even coached yet and people feel more confident about our future. I was wrong about Kelvin and change is a good thing. Its gonna pay off next year and in years to come. I have a hard time believing this rumor.

Big Red Ron
4/18/2006, 11:21 PM
These guys would be morons to leave OU right now. Nothing but bright things are ahead. Capel hasnt even coached yet and people feel more confident about our future. I was wrong about Kelvin and change is a good thing. Its gonna pay off next year and in years to come. I have a hard time believing this rumor.he/they were going to leave if kelvin stayed.

badger
4/18/2006, 11:38 PM
When the players sat together at the Capel announcement, Griffin and the first guy off the bench (can't think of his name) were sitting in the second row by themselves.

Do they feel excluded from the team, or is that the way seating was?

SleestakSooner
4/19/2006, 12:35 AM
Conspiracy thoerist or pragmatic?... you make the call.

I believe Joe got assurances from players before he acted and unless Coach Capel or one of the players does something ignorant to change that, all the players should be staying the duration. Griffin will be much loved if he stays home and plays his heart out.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/19/2006, 07:13 AM
When the players sat together at the Capel announcement, Griffin and the first guy off the bench (can't think of his name) were sitting in the second row by themselves.

Do they feel excluded from the team, or is that the way seating was?

I was there too. He was sitting with Austin Johnson. I think they just didn't have enough room in the first row, so they went behind. I don't think there was anything to read into here.

okienole3
4/19/2006, 08:06 AM
There was another guy sitting with them, but I don't know who it is. Does anyone know?

http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics27/400/IR/IRAMNBPAVLCQDUF.20060411212547.jpg

Ruuuuuufus
4/19/2006, 10:06 AM
Reynolds has reportedly asked for a release from his LOI :(

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=535969

Boomer.....
4/19/2006, 10:07 AM
That's a bad deal.

Harry Beanbag
4/19/2006, 10:19 AM
Wow, that sucks. Kiss any chance of Arthur coming goodbye as well. James is also probably up in the air now. :mad: :mad: :mad:

jk the sooner fan
4/19/2006, 10:41 AM
well crap

crawfish
4/19/2006, 10:54 AM
:(

He's the one I LEAST want to lose.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/19/2006, 10:58 AM

He's the one I LEAST want to lose.

Ditto. I think he would be the most talented player on the team, next year. We become a 6th or 7th place team on paper without him, worse than that if James doesn't come.

Rhino
4/19/2006, 10:58 AM
If OU lets him out of his LOI, I won't watch or attend another OU men's basketball game nor contribute any money to the program ever again.

If the kid doesn't want to be a man and stick to his commitment, fine. But he isn't getting out of it for free.

okienole3
4/19/2006, 10:59 AM
Wow that sucks. We need to get an update from Greg.

What if he signs with Kelvin at Indiana, then transfers here or somewhere else two years later.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/19/2006, 11:03 AM
If the kid doesn't want to be a man and stick to his commitment, fine. But he isn't getting out of it for free.

I'll reserve that judgement until we hear what the NCAA has to say this weekend. If it is just a slap on the wrist then I agree. Under no circumstance would I sanction allowing him to go to another Big 12 school or Indiana though. If we get other penalties and things were misrepresented to Reynolds then I think he should be allowed to go, despite how much it succs

Rhino
4/19/2006, 02:46 PM
OU gave him the release.

I'm not very happy right now with OU.

Harry Beanbag
4/19/2006, 02:48 PM
James will be next...:mad:

toast
4/19/2006, 03:03 PM
Craptastic...but as I tell my son, you sign with a school not a coach. Hopefully, Scottie will still come to OU.

Mjcpr
4/19/2006, 03:03 PM
Who would want them to come here against their will?

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 03:04 PM
Guys, I'm sorry. I dont really know what to say. He's been acting weird latley. Hasnt been talking much. I Know he thinks he is doing whats best for him, but I honestly think he is being a moron. He's acting like a big baby ever since we lost the state chamionship and Kelvin left. What is even worse is that he lied by making several statements to me and the media that he was staying. The guy is my friend, but I am very suprised with him.

He's being a premadonna. I just dont get it. Top facilitites. Top conference. Top Talent. Top young coach who everyone already loves. Top Athletic Dept. and director. And he is with his friends here too.

I hope he doesnt have the nerve to influence Damion to leave too. Oh well, hopefully our other recruits are as happy as they say they are, and arent lying to us.

I am pretty embarressed by all of this to be honest. I'm sorry he let us down. I did as much as I could, but I didnt want to force him to come here or talk about it to him that much. It was his decision.

I still think we're gonna be really good with or without him under Capel. This isnt Coach C's fault at all either. This is Oklahoma. We're going to win with or without you. And when we play you, we're gonna beat you. Have fun not being a part of something special at OU.

Again I'm sorry for this. I've gotten you guys hopes up so much. It's a sad day. Hopefully he'll change his mind. I will keep you guys updated if ANYTHING happens.

crawfish
4/19/2006, 03:12 PM
If he doesn't want to be here, then he shouldn't be here. That's all there is to that.

I hope Capel can convince him otherwise. He could start something very special at OU...

I hope the fans will forgive him for being an 18-year-old kid.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/19/2006, 03:23 PM
Guys, I'm sorry. I dont really know what to say. He's been acting weird latley. Hasnt been talking much. I Know he thinks he is doing whats best for him, but I honestly think he is being a moron. He's acting like a big baby ever since we lost the state chamionship and Kelvin left. What is even worse is that he lied by making several statements to me and the media that he was staying. The guy is my friend. But I am very suprised with him.

I hope he doesnt have the nerve to influence Damion to leave to. Oh well, hopefully our other recruits are as happy as they say they are.

I am pretty embarressed by all of this to be honest. I'm sorry he let us down. I did as much as I could, but I didnt want to force him to come here or talk about it to him that much.

Certainly not your fault Greg. He has to be his own man. Hopefully he does meet with Capel and is convinced to stay but I think playing hardball with Scottie is going to serve any good purpose. I don't think he should be able to play for another Big 12 team or Indiana but otherwise I think it is his right. It's a real pity if he goes because I think he will/would be a star at OU.

I do fear that James could be next.

columbuscreek
4/19/2006, 03:38 PM
Baylorfans.com is reporting James is walking from us too. I believe they could end up at Baylor.

Rhino
4/19/2006, 03:41 PM
Who would want them to come here against their will? Who would want them to back out of their commitment without suffering consequences?

By letting him out of his LOI before even stepping onto campus, OU is saying its okay to not honor your LOI.

OU is being completely spineless in this situation.

Mjcpr
4/19/2006, 03:49 PM
I don't think this an uncommon event when a coaching change is involved.

Your other option is to what.........? Say no and make him sit out? That sounds like a great recruiting tool to entice kids to sign with you in the future. Not to mention opposing coaches.

crawfish
4/19/2006, 03:53 PM
I do think putting limits on the release would be ok...restrict them from other Big 12 teams, for instance.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/19/2006, 03:56 PM
Baylorfans.com is reporting James is walking from us too. I believe they could end up at Baylor.

I doubt OU will allow James release to go to a school in the same conference.

It is certainly where I would draw the line.

Rhino
4/19/2006, 04:10 PM
His release better have conference and Sampson restrictions.

Your other option is to what.........? Say no and make him sit out? That sounds like a great recruiting tool to entice kids to sign with you in the future. Not to mention opposing coaches. What would the other coaches say?

"If you choose to go there and sign an LOI, then change your mind almost five months later, they'll hold it against you! They're meeeeeeeaaaaannnn."

oumartin
4/19/2006, 04:20 PM
damn all you that wanted Kelvin gone! Damn you

SoonerBBall
4/19/2006, 04:35 PM
damn all you that wanted Kelvin gone! Damn you

The deliciousness of the irony in this post is nearly overwhelming.

MojoRisen
4/19/2006, 04:36 PM
I think I understand what he is doing- I am sure Kelvin made a lot of promises and Capel will have to honor them....

If I was hired by a boss who said I could have the run of the mill etc- and then a new Manager came in and the guy who hired me quit- I would want to negotiate and make sure I was in the right spot.

Capel can close this deal-

OUstud
4/19/2006, 04:38 PM
He better close it. We could afford to lose Reynolds, but if James went too, we'd be doomed.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 05:01 PM
James won't leave. He doesn't seem like that kinda guy. Reynolds I think is about 90% to OU from things I've read. He just wants to explore other opprotunities now. I think it'll be either OU or Indiana for Scottie.

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 05:11 PM
Reynolds was always 100% excited about OU. Untill Kelvin left. I am so embarressed by this. I'll say it again, he's acting like a baby and a premadonna. I used to think alot more of him.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 05:13 PM
I'm not gonna judge the guy till more comes out. He may just love Kelvin and that's why he came to OU. I can't blame him for that.

okienole3
4/19/2006, 05:18 PM
Reynolds was always 100% excited about OU. Untill Kelvin left. I am so embarressed by this. I'll say it again, he's a baby and a premadonna. I used to think alot more of him.

Way to stick by your friend man. :rolleyes:

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 05:33 PM
Way to stick by your friend man. :rolleyes:

I know what it may sound like, but you guys just havnt been around here for the past few weeks. I wont say another bad word about it. He's still my friend, he just dissapointed me and alot of other people he promised. I am a pretty sad guy right now.

okienole3
4/19/2006, 05:37 PM
I know what it may sound like, but you guys just havnt been around here for the past few weeks. I wont say another bad word about it. He's still my friend, he just dissapointed me and alot of other people he promised. I am a pretty sad guy right now.

What did he promise you, that he would go to your favorite school?

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 05:50 PM
What did he promise you, that he would go to your favorite school?

C'mon okie, I dont mean it that way . Im not talking bad about the guy. He's a great guy. I just think hes making a huge mistake. He had promised all OU fans he was still coming. We had talked about next year almost every day. He loves OU. It just doesnt make much sense to me right now. It just doesnt seem like Scottie to not live up to his word. I hope he changes his mind and comes to OU. Its not like I'm some loser who begs scottie to still come to OU everyday and kisses his feet. I was just really looking forward to next year, and I know he was too.

NormanPride
4/19/2006, 06:03 PM
Do you know if other coaches have been talking to him?

'Cause that's a big no-no.

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2006, 06:10 PM
I doubt OU will allow James release to go to a school in the same conference.

It is certainly where I would draw the line.

We allowed it although the circumstances were very very different.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 06:12 PM
If our coach/players were involved in a murder and it's cover up then I would understand. But this is just a new coach. OU won't allow James or Reynolds to go to another Big 12 school. If they do want to go to another Big 12 school they will have to transfer and sit out 2 years.

william_brasky
4/19/2006, 06:25 PM
Its not like I'm some loser who begs scottie to still come to OU everyday and kisses his feet.

It's all your fault. :texan:

okienole3
4/19/2006, 06:39 PM
C'mon okie, I dont mean it that way . Im not talking bad about the guy. He's a great guy. I just think hes making a huge mistake. He had promised all OU fans he was still coming. We had talked about next year almost every day. He loves OU. It just doesnt make much sense to me right now. It just doesnt seem like Scottie to not live up to his word. I hope he changes his mind and comes to OU. Its not like I'm some loser who begs scottie to still come to OU everyday and kisses his feet. I was just really looking forward to next year, and I know he was too.

I am not bashing you. Are you coming to OU too? I can understand your disappointment. I am just trying to see things through his eyes. You guys are both just kids. Sorry if I came off like I was bashing you.

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 09:23 PM
I am not bashing you. Are you coming to OU too? I can understand your disappointment. I am just trying to see things through his eyes. You guys are both just kids. Sorry if I came off like I was bashing you.

It's straight okie. Yeah Im going to OU next year as well. I am from Pryor, Oklahoma. Moved out here when I was young when my father was in the Marines. I've been a Sooner all my life. I know you didnt mean nothin.

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 09:26 PM
Do you know if other coaches have been talking to him?

'Cause that's a big no-no.

They have been contacting Coach Hall the last four weeks. They have not talked to Scottie. We are still in it as much as anyone. Scottie needed the LOI removed if he wanted to be able to talk to other schools to make sure he's making the right move for himself. Still, it doesnt look good for us.:(

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 09:34 PM
Did I hear right that if Scottie leaves, James is leaving, too???

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 09:36 PM
Did I hear right that if Scottie leaves, James is leaving, too???

Not necessarily. OU could still get Scottie if he realizes OU is the best place for him. Hopefully Damion and Co are talking to Scottie alot. James has said from the beginning of the coaching vacancy that he is coming to OU no matter what. I dont know though...It could get interesting.

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 09:39 PM
If Scottie decommits........

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 09:40 PM
WE

WILL

BE

SCREWED!!

jccouger
4/19/2006, 09:42 PM
****ING BULL****.

I was so excited about this recruiting class, and now its all just melting away...

The Consumate Showman
4/19/2006, 09:49 PM
What the hell will we do for recruits if this class falls apart on us? I guess we'll have to try and go the JUCO route for replacements?? This SUCKS!

OUGreg723
4/19/2006, 10:10 PM
It sucks majorly. Lets hope Coach C. can keep it together.

NickZeppelin
4/19/2006, 10:13 PM
I wish Coach Sampson never woulda left. We wouldn't have any of this talk right now.

william_brasky
4/19/2006, 11:17 PM
I wish Coach Sampson never woulda left. We wouldn't have any of this talk right now.

I agree. We wouldn't be having any of this talk right now. When he would be transferring in a year or two after KS tutelage we would though.

Let's hope he honors his LOI and wants to be a Sooner.

Soonerwake
4/19/2006, 11:20 PM
I know it has already been said, but I will say it again. I don't understand why a school is basically "forced" to release these kids from their letter of intent when a coach leaves on his own.

First, the student-athlete signed a letter of intent to play for the University of Oklahoma. I haven't seen one, but I would imagine that there is no language that indicates that he or she is signing to play for a specific coach.

Second, Sampson left on his own accord. He was not fired. Once he resigned his position, OU had to fill his position. It is not the fault of the university that KS left.

Third, OU stopped recruiting point guards, or whatever, once the student-athlete signs a letter of intent.

I agree that Reynolds or James, or whoever, was signing with the intention of playing for Kelvin and probably feels somewhat letdown that he is now gone. But, it is not the fault of OU that he is not there. They gave their promise to play for OU and OU shaped their recruiting, etc. based on that promise. It will be difficult to find replacements for them at this late date.

It should be understood that while it will suck for Reynolds, or whoever wants out, to sit out a year, it will also suck for the OU basketball team (loss of games), administration (lost revenue due to the loss of games), and the fans as well. It pretty much sucks all around.

My suggestion to these kids is simple. Suck it up and play for OU as promised. Give the new guy a shot. You might just like it.

william_brasky
4/19/2006, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that kids getting out of LOIs due to a coaching change don't have to sit out a year.

Soonerwake
4/19/2006, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that kids getting out of LOIs due to a coaching change don't have to sit out a year.

That's the problem. Why should the school let them out? OU did not fire the coach and should not have to suffer for his departure. I guess I just don't get it. :confused:

william_brasky
4/20/2006, 12:18 AM
I don't get it either.

The kid said he was on board last week. Then today he wants out of the LOI.

I just wonder if other schools have been contacting him. That is not legal.

Newbomb Turk
4/20/2006, 06:49 AM
That's the problem. Why should the school let them out? OU did not fire the coach and should not have to suffer for his departure. I guess I just don't get it. :confused:

If you force the kid to play for a coach he doesn't like, the chances of him being happy at OU are slim. It's a tough situation for OU.

and no - he wouldn't have to sit out next year if he's let out of his LOI.

TrueSooner
4/20/2006, 07:58 AM
Recruit seeking release
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
4/20/2006

Coach Jeff Capel will try to convince Scottie Reynolds to honor his letter of intent.
NORMAN -- Jeff Capel faces his most critical day as the new Oklahoma basketball coach Thursday, when he travels to Herndon (Va.) High School to try to convince McDonald's All-American Scottie Reynolds to honor the letter of intent he signed with OU last November.

The Reynolds family informed Capel and athletic director Joe Castiglione on Tuesday that Reynolds would seek a release from the letter, a favor OU must grant in order for Reynolds to re-open his recruitment and to enroll in a second college of choice next fall without losing eligibility.

Capel and Reynolds family members withheld further comment pending the meeting, while Castiglione, according to Herndon coach Gary Hall, "was pretty surprised by it, and needed a little time to digest it before getting back to Scottie's father."

Though it's likely Reynolds would get the release, the Sooners want to give Capel the chance to resolve the situation before it reaches that point.

The meeting begins the process of re-recruiting Reynolds, the 6-foot-1 point guard who topped OU's nationally heralded five-member recruiting class of last November.

"I told coach Capel (Tuesday)

that coach (Kelvin) Sampson was like Scottie's first girlfriend," Hall said of the former Sooner coach who worked for years to develop the relationship. "Now he feels like a jilted lover. He doesn't feel like he can trust anyone."

Not Sampson, who Hall said Reynolds has refused to talk to since the former OU coach left for Indiana on March 29, nor Capel, who Reynolds has only spoken with over the phone since the new coach took over on April 11.

"Coach Capel told Scottie he wants people at Oklahoma that really wanted to be a part of the program," Hall said. "Well, Scottie isn't 100 percent sure about that right now."

Attempts to contact Reynolds were unsuccessful. But he told the Baltimore Examiner, "I need to be 100 percent sure, and in order for that to happen, I need to explore other options."

"Let's be honest," Hall said. "Players choose a university not because of the great buildings on campus, or that one school's academic department is better than another's. It's because of the coaching staff, and Scottie has no idea about this one."

Capel's mission will be to sell Reynolds on both his brand of basketball and, more importantly, his personality.

"Scottie's a kid that can't play for just anyone. He thrives on relationships," Hall said. "He's had two coaches in his lifetime, basically. He needs to know his coach is going to love him."

Capel had hoped to convince Reynolds during a face-to-face meeting last weekend while back in Richmond, Va. But Reynolds, coming off spring break, was out of town attending an AAU tournament.

Capel's phone conversations led him to believe Reynolds was solid in his commitment to OU.

Some suspect other programs used the time between Sampson's departure and Capel's arrival to try to convince Reynolds to re-open his recruitment, illegal by NCAA rules since Reynolds had already signed his letter of intent.

"No, there's been none of that stuff," said Hall, who added Reynolds hasn't even compiled a revised list of schools he might be interested in. "It's more that he wants to give coach Capel the opportunity, but he also wants to make sure he has options if they don't hit it off. What if it's not a good fit? It's a scary thing."

Scary for both sides. Reynolds has been the nucleus of OU's recruiting class since November, a fact Capel recognized the day he was introduced.

"Scottie has done a great job of communicating (with the other four signees)," Capel said the day he was announced OU coach. "He's been the leader, it seems like, with everything."

Now that leader is in limbo.

"It's not an indictment on the decision to hire Capel, it's not a negative," Hall said. "It's just the realization that this is a different Oklahoma than the one Scottie signed with.

"This is what we told (Castiglione) from the very beginning: We'll find out who the coach is and give that coach the opportunity to build a relationship with Scottie.

"Thursday will be our first introduction to him."

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

OUDoc
4/20/2006, 08:12 AM
First, the student-athlete signed a letter of intent to play for the University of Oklahoma. I haven't seen one, but I would imagine that there is no language that indicates that he or she is signing to play for a specific coach.

There's specific wording in the LOI that states you are signing with the school, not a coach. A new coach doesn't change the LOI. It's very specific on that.

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 08:16 AM
Regardless of what it says, in most instances, athletes sign with a school because of the coaching staff that recruits them.

OUDoc
4/20/2006, 08:16 AM
http://www.national-letter.org/guidelines/nli_text.php

#19 (at the bottom)

OUDoc
4/20/2006, 08:17 AM
Regardless of what it says, in most instances, athletes sign with a school because of the coaching staff that recruits them.
I agree. I was just pointing out that the LOI addresses coaching changes and isn't very sympathetic to that.

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 08:57 AM
Today looks like a make or break day for Capel and Oklahoma basketball, at least for the forseeable future. Good luck Coach.

soonervegas
4/20/2006, 10:11 AM
I think the make or break "days" was OU fans not supporting a guy that went to the tourney 11 out of 12 years, with a sweet 16, elite 8, final four appearance, 3 big 12 titles, and 1 regular season title.

Now we are saddled with a 31 yr old coach who gets to go up against Knight, Barnes, Gillespie, Huggins, Self, and Anderson every night and recruits that don't want to be here.

Let's all be good fans and take our medicine. Oh that's right...the people that bitched the most about Kelvin weren't even really that good of basketball fans and probably never set foot in the LNC. Carry on..

suncoastsooner7
4/20/2006, 10:15 AM

Have fun sitting out two years. I can assure you if we did release them there are stipulations against other Big 12 schools (2 years sitting out) and Indiana (one year sitting out). No way they end up at Baylor.

PrideTrombone
4/20/2006, 10:26 AM
I think the make or break "days" was OU fans not supporting a guy that went to the tourney 11 out of 12 years, with a sweet 16, elite 8, final four appearance, 3 big 12 titles, and 1 regular season title.

Now we are saddled with a 31 yr old coach who gets to go up against Knight, Barnes, Gillespie, Huggins, Self, and Anderson every night and recruits that don't want to be here.

If we'd have actually run him off sooner we could've hired Anderson. ;)

suncoastsooner7
4/20/2006, 10:29 AM
If we'd have actually run him off sooner we could've hired Anderson. ;)

Why Anderson will go the JUCO route just like you all cried about Kelvin doing. Why don't you look at how many of Anderson's players came from Okaloosa Walton College, Chipola, Gulf Coast Community and Pensacola JC (PJC).

The Consumate Showman
4/20/2006, 10:34 AM
Maybe we need one of our boosters to take out an ad in the newspaper where Scottie lives and assure him that the state of Oklahoma is doing nothing more than sitting on pins and needles waiting for him to come to OU. Much like the UT fan did in Palestine, Tx. with a certain OU recruit a couple years ago.....

PrideTrombone
4/20/2006, 10:37 AM
Why Anderson will go the JUCO route just like you all cried about Kelvin doing. Why don't you look at how many of Anderson's players came from Okaloosa Walton College, Chipola, Gulf Coast Community and Pensacola JC (PJC).

I didn't care about the JUCO thing. You must have me confused with someone else who'd thought that Kelvin hit his ceiling.

lawbu
4/20/2006, 11:32 AM
I'm almost positive a school cannot put any restrictions on an LOI release. I do believe they can put restrictions on releases for transfers.

jk the sooner fan
4/20/2006, 11:41 AM
I'm almost positive a school cannot put any restrictions on an LOI release. I do believe they can put restrictions on releases for transfers.

gdc, are you certain of that?

colleyvillesooner
4/20/2006, 11:47 AM
string puller

MojoRisen
4/20/2006, 11:52 AM
Why hasn't Capel even talked to Scottie Yet- I hear he has been talking to the coach... ??

A point guard for a coach of a point guard is a no brianer to me- Scottie stands to learn a lot more from Capel than Kelvin...

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/20/2006, 12:24 PM
Why hasn't Capel even talked to Scottie Yet- I hear he has been talking to the coach... ??

A point guard for a coach of a point guard is a no brianer to me- Scottie stands to learn a lot more from Capel than Kelvin...

Capel had hoped to convince Reynolds during a face-to-face meeting last weekend while back in Richmond, Va. But Reynolds, coming off spring break, was out of town attending an AAU tournament.

Capel's phone conversations led him to believe Reynolds was solid in his commitment to OU.

looks like he has been.

william_brasky
4/20/2006, 04:03 PM
supposedly Capel's having a face-to-face with Scottie today in Virginia.

reel him in Coach.

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 04:06 PM
Word on Rivals is James is solid.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/20/2006, 04:31 PM
Word on Rivals is James is solid.

So am I.

stoopified
4/20/2006, 05:08 PM
Word on Rivals is James is solid.Hey now I have it on good authority from my confidential source DB that it is 80-40that James AND Reynolds will be relesed from their LOI.;)

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 07:25 PM
Hey now I have it on good authority from my confidential source DB that it is 80-40that James AND Reynolds will be relesed from their LOI.;)

Cool, they're both staying then. :)

OUGreg723
4/20/2006, 07:45 PM
Talked alot with Scottie today. OU is still his number 1. He's just making sure with other schools. He likes coach Capel alot, he just doesnt know him that well. I told him we still all love him at Oklahoma and we are concerned about his future. He's still talking with Damion alot and I think we are on better grounds than most of us thought we were yesterday (including my rediculous panic).:rolleyes:

My only concern is that Coach C is a straight shooter. He's gonna tell Scottie we only want players who want to be Sooners. He's not going to BS him in any way. But Coach C is also a players coach at the same time who can relate to young guys real well. I have faith that he can reel him back in.

I'll update you guys on what happend tonight, tommarrow afternoon.

Much Love- Greg

birddog
4/20/2006, 07:53 PM
nice work greg.

william_brasky
4/20/2006, 09:09 PM
thanks greg.

will be looking forward to the report.

sooner518
4/20/2006, 09:59 PM
Greg, how good of a friend are you with Scottie? Like, hang out outside of school friends, or just talk in classes you have together friend, or what? just curious

OUGreg723
4/20/2006, 11:23 PM
We are friends. I hang out with him after school sometimes. He's usually to busy to hang out with anyone. He's a great kid though. Nothing bad about him.

Boomer.....
4/21/2006, 08:07 AM
That is some great inside info. Thanks.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/21/2006, 08:21 AM
Greg,

Thanks

The Consumate Showman
4/21/2006, 09:30 AM
Greg............where are you??? News????

SoonerObsession
4/21/2006, 12:10 PM
Just to make sure you really are friends with him...What's his favorite color? ;)

lawbu
4/21/2006, 01:57 PM
Greg, tell us about Georgetown.

OUGreg723
4/21/2006, 02:41 PM
Ok guys. Sorry to keep you waiting.

The meeting went well last night. Scottie really liked Coach Capel in person and thought he was really cool. He just wants to get to know him better. I am not sure he is so comfortable around him yet. OU is still number 1 for him, but its anybody's race to win right now. He is still in contact with the players on the team too, so thats a good thing. Including Nate Carter who he talked to on the phone last night after meeting with coach.

Last night was a good start for Capel. He couldnt have done anything else. I think Scottie feels bad about letting Oklahoma fans down. I am giving him full support in everything and reminding him we still love him at Oklahoma. I'll keep reminding him of what great people we are what a great school we have, and we would love for him to represent us as a Sooner.

The scarey news is that he may take 4 visits. He thinks LSU, Georgetown, Maryland, and someone else. Maybe UCONN. I dont really know yet. This will be tough for Capel to go up against. I say our chances are 50/50 RIGHT NOW. It could all get better for us with time. I say we should be most concerned about LSU. Georgetown isnt that big of a concern I dont think. Neither is Maryland. I'll let you guys know more when I find other things out from him.

Let's keep a positive attitude because any support he sees from sooner fans may help him get back here. He's just going through some tough decesions in his life. I overeacted and said some harsh things on here that I wish I didnt say about him leaving. His intentions are what is best for him. I'll keep doing what I can.

-Greg

Big Red Ron
4/21/2006, 02:47 PM
Tell him that I'll hook him up with Adrian Peterson's autograph if he comes.

OUGreg723
4/21/2006, 02:48 PM
Tell him that I'll hook him up with Adrian Peterson's autograph if he comes.

LOL. Will do man.:)

Big Red Ron
4/21/2006, 02:49 PM
Just sayin'

jk the sooner fan
4/21/2006, 02:50 PM
tell that young man he has the chance to come here and be a superstar and legend....either he has the moxie to handle it or he doesnt

no pressure of course ..... ;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/21/2006, 03:12 PM
Tell him that the guys in my avatar like to hang out in Storrs, CT. That should get him here.

The Consumate Showman
4/21/2006, 03:31 PM
Well, he has to realize ONE thing in my mind...if he comes to OU, HE WILL START RIGHT AWAY, no doubt, and he would probably be the star of the team along with James and Griffin...having said that, all of these other schools, besides Georgetown (GEORGETOWN?!? Really?!) probably have guys recruited or on squad that can start, maybe, in front of Scottie. If he wants to be the "new man on campus", he can be that right away at OU. Scottie......dude....we love you in Oklahoma and you're not even here yet.....what more do you want????

OUGreg723
4/21/2006, 04:06 PM
Well, he has to realize ONE thing in my mind...if he comes to OU, HE WILL START RIGHT AWAY, no doubt, and he would probably be the star of the team along with James and Griffin...having said that, all of these other schools, besides Georgetown (GEORGETOWN?!? Really?!) probably have guys recruited or on squad that can start, maybe, in front of Scottie. If he wants to be the "new man on campus", he can be that right away at OU. Scottie......dude....we love you in Oklahoma and you're not even here yet.....what more do you want????

Best Post Ever.

Partial Qualifier
4/21/2006, 04:26 PM
Plus: the chicks are friendly here, know what I'm sayin' dog?
Be sure & tell him that ;)

lawbu
4/21/2006, 05:03 PM
Anyone know if DJ and Mayfield are qualified?

stoopified
4/21/2006, 05:22 PM
Cool, they're both staying then. :)Ordinarily I would agree but DB is due,when WAS the last time he was right?Hope his track record continues.:D

sooner518
4/21/2006, 05:46 PM
tell him I'll buy him a beer at the Library if he comes to OU. and it will be delicious

King Crimson
4/21/2006, 10:50 PM
all of these other schools, besides Georgetown (GEORGETOWN?!? Really?!) probably have guys recruited or on squad that can start, maybe, in front of Scottie.

you didn't watch much basketball last year did you?

G-Town was a very good team (gave Duke it's first loss) and went further in the tournament than we did...and out of a better conference.

they've also won it all, which is something a kid is going to pay attention to when he's being given the hard sell.

william_brasky
4/21/2006, 11:24 PM
I hope they let Dikembe Mutombo speak with him. :twinkies:

stoops the eternal pimp
4/22/2006, 09:44 AM
I hope they let Dikembe Mutombo speak with him. :twinkies:

Are you referring to Dikembe Mutako leflico Muhammed Francheska Luis Rahman Johannson Jaquita Burrito Infuego Mutombo?...I think I didnt give him enough names..

OUstud
4/22/2006, 12:23 PM
tell him I'll buy him a beer at the Library if he comes to OU. and it will be delicious

If you're a donor, then the Oklahoman will crucify us again! :D

OUGreg723
4/22/2006, 02:26 PM
Rumor is that Damion just asked to be released from his LOI. Scottie said he knew Damion was thinking about it, but didnt know for sure. Anyone else heard anything about this?

WTF IS HAPPENING?

NickZeppelin
4/22/2006, 02:44 PM
This keeps getting worse and worse for OU. Hopefully Crocker can come in and be real good. I don't know if we have James and Reynolds anymore.

OUGreg723
4/22/2006, 02:47 PM
This keeps getting worse and worse for OU. Hopefully Crocker can come in and be real good. I don't know if we have James and Reynolds anymore.

I mean they still like OU. We are just on thin Ice. All we can do is hope that Joe C., our current players, and our NEW Coaches play all the right cards.

I'll try my hardest too. I feel obligated as a friend and a Sooner. It's not over yet.

This is just making me verrrryy nervous.

NickZeppelin
4/22/2006, 03:00 PM
I hope you are right.

SoonerShark
4/22/2006, 03:22 PM
I have just changed my mind. Now, I would not let anyone out of their Letter of Intent. One player, MAYBE, but this wholesale exodus means too much.

sooner518
4/22/2006, 03:24 PM
so what happens if we lose all 5? has that ever happenned?

NickZeppelin
4/22/2006, 03:29 PM
Crocker won't go more than likely.

oumartin
4/22/2006, 03:31 PM
so nick, some little woman break yer heart?

MojoRisen
4/22/2006, 03:40 PM
LOI- I would not let anyone out- if they chose Oklahoma becuase of Sampson that is still not the Universities fault that he left- The bottom line is we have a capable coach and those 50K+ a year Scholarships are important.

I simply would not let them out of the LOI- now if we are on probation we don't have a choice. IF they want to sit out 2 years go right ahead.

Newbomb Turk
4/22/2006, 06:18 PM
I have just changed my mind. Now, I would not let anyone out of their Letter of Intent. One player, MAYBE, but this wholesale exodus means too much.

I've also had a change of heart - I wouldn't let them out of the LOI either.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/22/2006, 07:59 PM
Congratulations Calvin Simpson supporters...I guess we can count you guys out at Lloyd Noble again next year ;)

birddog
4/22/2006, 08:39 PM
all these guys leaving is just 2 years earlier than it would have been with sampsonite.

birddog
4/22/2006, 08:46 PM
btw, how long do these players have to decide whether or not they want to screw us?

suncoastsooner7
4/22/2006, 11:26 PM
These guys are as good as gone. Time to start picking up the pieces. Tony Crocker is coming to OU come h*** or high water. He claims to be able to bring his own PG/combo from his HS with him who is a solid DI prospect. Need to find a JUCO big man. It's going to be a long road for sooner bball.

The Consumate Showman
4/23/2006, 01:07 AM
I just don't get it. These kids sign LOI with a said University and when the deadline has come and gone, they can just say, "Ehh. I think I might want to go somewhere else..." To me, that LOI means that your intent is play at that said university, right? I wonder if these guys would be singing the same tunes if Coach Sampson would have been killed in a tragic car wreck???

Scott D
4/23/2006, 01:18 AM
For as much play as you guys are giving this situation, nobody here seems to remember that the road goes more than one direction. There is the one player at Indiana who is looking into transferring to UAB without ever having met Kelvin, simply because he his honoring his commitment to play for Mike Davis because that was who recruited him.

The problem you guys are having is that it seems ridiculous to you that a player would go to a school because of the coach rather than the school itself. Seriously, do you think Duke would get half the players they get now if Coach K decided to move to another school? Do you think any of their recruits would seek to get out of their LOI's to more than likely try to go wherever Coach K ended up?

There have been a ton of situations where recruits have given up on a school that they signed a LOI to play for after the coach has departed (be it firing or moving to a new job). This isn't anything new, and it really shouldn't be that surprizing that 17-18 year old kids need to reassess whether or not they really want to go to a place where the 'lifeline' they made contact with is no longer there.

william_brasky
4/23/2006, 01:33 AM
So, what you're saying is we should get rid of all collegiate basketball coaches? That's crazy dude.

soonerbub
4/23/2006, 05:55 AM
Thank you Scott D. I know I know LOI blah blah blah. These guys are still kids anyway you slice it. It is not their fault that the coach that recruited them thinks the grass is greener somewhere else. Making someone stay somewhere they may not want to be after the coach that recruited them leaves is much worse for your long term recruiting picture than just releasing them. Yeah it's a binding agreement but these kids are 18. Like many have said "we will win with or without you". I personally don't care if we win 10 games next year as long as we have people that want to be Sooners (like Kellen Sampson).

IMO the program could not be in better hands regardless if Reynolds or James are in Norman in August or not--we will be successful in the near future.

SoonerShark
4/23/2006, 06:17 AM
It is pure racism on the part of the recruits. Kids today are hesitant to play for anyone who is not Native American. Additionally, many refuse to deal with those who have had Duke ties since Duke's athletic department's reign of terror is becoming increasingly evident. I would not let my stripper sister anywhere near a Dukie, nowadays.

OUGreg723
4/23/2006, 09:52 AM
It is pure racism on the part of the recruits. Kids today are hesitant to play for anyone who is not Native American. Additionally, many refuse to deal with those who have had Duke ties since Duke's athletic department's reign of terror is becoming increasingly evident. I would not let my stripper sister anywhere near a Dukie, nowadays.

:D

OUGreg723
4/23/2006, 09:54 AM
btw, how long do these players have to decide whether or not they want to screw us?

Scottie has four weeks to make only four visits. He is just confused right now like we all know. Hopefully he and Damion will see that this is all just madness. You can't choose a new school in a month...thats just silly. I have faith that they will see Norman is the right place for them.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/23/2006, 11:36 AM
Scott D made great points. Kids are kids and they make a decision that from a mental and cognitive standpoint most are not capable of yet at that age. The young mind does not have the same pathways as an adult to make a decision and go with it (anatomy-wise). Besides, these kids might feel very comfortable with the adult figure that convinced them to go to a certain program. I don't fault Kelvin and I don't fault the kids, it is what it is.

I hope Coach C can convince the kids to honor the LOI, but from the kids perspective, they just had the rug pulled out and they want to check around. We'll end up with people wanting to go to OU, no matter who it is. I wish the best for everyone in this drama right now...

oumartin
4/23/2006, 12:29 PM
none of this would be happening if Kelvin were still coach. ;)

Newbomb Turk
4/23/2006, 03:47 PM
none of this would be happening if Kelvin were still coach. ;)

so what - at least he and his boring brand of basketball are gone. :D

NickZeppelin
4/23/2006, 03:49 PM
Can't wait till we win 47-46 in our first game against a no name and everyone will just be calling Capel, Kelvin version 2.0.

Newbomb Turk
4/23/2006, 04:00 PM
The way things look with the recruits, I'll be happy with any win next year.

NickZeppelin
4/23/2006, 04:02 PM
Even without Reynolds and James we have more talent here now then we had when Kelvin came in.

okienole3
4/23/2006, 04:07 PM
Even without Reynolds and James we have more talent here now then we had when Kelvin came in.

please learn the difference between then and than.

Newbomb Turk
4/23/2006, 04:14 PM

I thought we had decent talent back than.

King Crimson
4/23/2006, 04:23 PM
yeah, that Minor guy sucked.

suncoastsooner7
4/23/2006, 04:28 PM
yeah, that Minor guy sucked.

Quick name another.

Newbomb Turk
4/23/2006, 04:48 PM
Abercrombie.

okienole3
4/23/2006, 04:49 PM
Quick name another.

Prince Fowler was VERY highly recruited.

That Ernie Abercrombie dude turned out to be ok also.

Oh and John Ontjes was much better than any PG we have on campus right now.

NickZeppelin
4/23/2006, 05:24 PM
Abercrombie.

Here are the guys that averaged over 20 minutes a game that 95 season

Ryan Minor-Jr
Ernie Abercrombie-Jr
John Ontjes-Sr
Dion Barnes-Jr
Calvin Curry-Sr
James Mayden-Sr
Prince Fowler-Fr(ended up transferring)

Right now not counting the recruiting class I think we have atleast just as good. We may not have a scorer like Ryan Minor was though. 3 of those ended up playing on the next team.

Look at our top returners right now.
Michael Neal-Sr
David Godbold-Jr
Nate Carter-Sr
Taylor Griffin-So
Austin Johnson-So
Longar Longar-Jr

Not only are they younger. They are probably more athletic then the group in 95. Especially at the guards. And plus only 2 are probably leaving. I only say probably because you could always have a transfer. Again this isn't counting any recruits Capel could get which could add to that group.

Salt City Sooner
4/23/2006, 06:32 PM
Abercrombie was a Sampson recruit. Kinda hard to count him as something that was here when Kelvin came in.

Jimminy Crimson
4/23/2006, 07:03 PM
I have faith that they will see Norman is the right place for them.

...and if not, I want you to pull a Nancy Kerrigan.

TIA! :texan:

Crimsontothecore
4/23/2006, 07:20 PM
none of this would be happening if Kelvin hadn't cheated and made a mess out of the season. ;)
Fixed.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/23/2006, 07:21 PM
Abercrombie was a Sampson recruit. Kinda hard to count him as something that was here when Kelvin came in.

do you ALWAYS have to be right???? ;)

OUGreg723
4/23/2006, 08:07 PM
...and if not, I want you to pull a Nancy Kerrigan.

TIA! :texan:

LOL.:D :twinkies:

Scott D
4/23/2006, 08:28 PM
Prince Fowler was VERY highly recruited.

That Ernie Abercrombie dude turned out to be ok also.

Oh and John Ontjes was much better than any PG we have on campus right now.

heh ironic that anyone brings up Prince Fowler....speaking of guys who xferred out when their recruiter left ;)

okienole3
4/23/2006, 09:08 PM
heh ironic that anyone brings up Prince Fowler....speaking of guys who xferred out when their recruiter left ;)

yeah, but he gave it a year. also, there was a big difference in style from Billy to Kelvin.

TopDawg
4/23/2006, 09:10 PM
So back to the subject at hand...how many of our guys are considering transferring? Do we have any idea how much they're wavering?

stoopified
4/23/2006, 10:59 PM
Quick name another.John Ontjes,Hootie Wiley,Ernie Abbercrombie(wasthe only Kelvin recruit that year).

Scott D
4/23/2006, 11:14 PM
yeah, but he gave it a year. also, there was a big difference in style from Billy to Kelvin.

yeah but from what I saw in the Huff, losing Fowler really wasn't all that major.

NickZeppelin
4/24/2006, 12:29 AM
John Ontjes,Hootie Wiley,Ernie Abbercrombie(wasthe only Kelvin recruit that year).

Hootie Wiley first played in 96. Wasn't on the 95 roster.

skycat
4/24/2006, 09:07 AM
Rivals quoting Reynolds as saying something like "Have UW call me."

suncoastsooner7
4/24/2006, 09:22 AM
John Ontjes,Hootie Wiley,Ernie Abbercrombie(wasthe only Kelvin recruit that year).

John Ontjes doesn't have more upside that AJ and AJ is also younger than Ontjes was. Ernie Abercrombie, as you pointed out wasn't Billy's doing. Kelvin brought him in with him. Hootie wasn't on the '95 team. Billy also left behind a cancer in Prince Fowler. Ontjeswas a Senior as well. Not much to build on other than Ryan guys.

OUmillenium
4/24/2006, 11:41 AM
John Ontjes doesn't have more upside that AJ and AJ is also younger than Ontjes was. Ernie Abercrombie, as you pointed out wasn't Billy's doing. Kelvin brought him in with him. Hootie wasn't on the '95 team. Billy also left behind a cancer in Prince Fowler. Ontjeswas a Senior as well. Not much to build on other than Ryan guys.

What do you mean by cancer? Just curious, I love insided info...

Thanks

Led Nicholas
4/24/2006, 06:00 PM
Hootie Wiley first played in 96. Wasn't on the 95 roster.

Wow, you are SMART!!!

suncoastsooner7
4/25/2006, 06:59 AM
What do you mean by cancer? Just curious, I love insided info...

Thanks

Inside info, not hardly. Rather common knowledge that Prince didn't want to be here OU after BT left. The AD (believe it was still Donnie Duncan) wouldn't release him to follow Tubbs. Caused a bunch of small trouble that year and w let him go the following offseason to follow Billy.

GDC
4/25/2006, 07:52 AM
New OU coach talks about his new challenges
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
4/25/2006

Capel is quiet about his recruit problems, but pledges elite program.
NORMAN -- Oklahoma basketball coach Jeff Capel spoke publicly for the first time in 12 days Monday evening, after a spirited workout that involved the launching of both 3-pointers and friendly verbal jabs at his new players.

Otherwise, much had changed in that period. And not necessarily for the better.

Scottie Reynolds, Damion James and Jeremy Mayfield, three-fifths of OU's No. 4-rated signing class from last November, have either asked to be released from their letters of intent or are in the process of doing so. Reynolds, the McDonald's All-American point guard who is said to have an effect on what the other signees do, could declare where he'll be taking official visits Tuesday, according to national recruiting services.

It is a burden Capel didn't expect to be carrying April 12. At that time he was under the impression that all five signees were coming to OU, despite Kelvin Sampson's sudden departure for Indiana.

What has happened since then, as Capel sees it, is pretty simple.

"For anyone involved in a coaching change, it's always hard," he said. "It's hard for the coach to tell his team he's leaving. It's hard for the guys that

are still there. It's hard for the guys that have been recruited. It's hard for the new coach coming in. It's a difficult situation for everyone. You're changing. You're getting outside of a comfort zone.

"Any time you have that, you have different feelings and different emotions."

Reynolds, James and Mayfield reopening the recruiting process leaves several chain-reaction issues for Capel, including whether OU would willingly release any of the signees from their letters.

"We haven't decided," Capel said of the decision he must make in consultation with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. "We'll get together and talk and figure out a decision, whatever it is, that's best for everyone involved."

One thing Capel did not acknowledge was any of the recruits' specific situations and, therefore, whether he felt good about keeping any of them.

"I'm not going to comment on any of that," he said. "My philosophy has always been, in life, what's supposed to happen will happen. Whatever happens will be the best thing for us, for our program going forward."

Capel, who says he has met with all five signees, spent the better part of last Thursday in Reynolds' hometown of Herndon, Va.

"It was cool. It was good to see him, good to meet his family," he said. "We'll see. . . . We'll see."

That would suffice for any indecision among the signees, and for Capel's plans for any of the five scholarships he might lose with any changes of heart.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," he said.

All he knew was Sunday meant the end of the current recruiting period, and that thanks to OU's self-imposed sanctions for recruiting violations, he had to be extra careful with his evaluation time.

Every other topic in connection to the signees would have to remain speculative. For instance, rumors that other schools used the interim between Sampson's departure and Capel's arrival to illegally tamper with the signees.

"Nothing surprises me in this profession," Capel said. "I don't know what happened. I don't know if anything happened. Everyone hears things."

There's also a theory that Reynolds and James could end up playing together at a different school, perhaps LSU. According to Rival.com, the Tigers got a verbal commitment from national top-20 recruit Darrell Arthur on Monday.

There was a time when Reynolds and James were trying to entice Arthur to come to OU. Without addressing Arthur's situation specifically, Capel did offer some insight into his experience as a national-caliber prospect coming out of high school 13 years ago.

"I wanted to go to Duke. Independent of anyone else, I wanted to wear that jersey with pride," he said. "Those are the kinds of guys we're going to recruit here at OU. We want guys here that have pride in wearing that jersey. That jersey means something. . . .

"We want guys that really want to be here at OU. That's how we're going to keep this program at an elite level. Those are guys that we're going to get here, and those are guys we're going to win with."

Whether that means with Reynolds, James and Mayfield is anyone's guess, including Capel's.

"Any time you have a change like this this late in the year, it's tough. But we're going to survive it," he said. "We're going to survive it and we're going to come out a better program because of it. I'm a big believer you learn a lot through adversity. You learn a lot from everything. Everything's a chance to learn and get better.

"This program was given to me in very good shape, and I intend to keep it in very good shape and improve it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capel says hiring staff comes after recruiting
NORMAN — No new word on a new staff for Oklahoma basketball coach Jeff Capel.

“I’ve got to take care of other things. I’m trying to get to know (OU’s current players and recruits),” Capel said Monday. “I’m trying to do that first. I’ll probably start to concentrate on (a new staff) more once this recruiting period is over with, which is the 30th. Sunday is the last day we can be out.

“Once that’s over with, I’ll start shifting my attention to (the staff).”

The only definite addition to the staff is Capel’s former Virginia Commonwealth assistant Mark Cline. Capel has said he plans to visit with Bob Hoffman, the only assistant from Kelvin Sampson’s staff who stayed at OU when Sampson took the Indiana job.

Capel did confirm that strength and conditioning coach Darby Rich will remain at OU..

OUGreg723
4/25/2006, 07:30 PM
SCOTTIE UPDATE

Michigan's coaching staff was in Coach Hall's office talking to Scottie and Coach Hall for several hours today.....More info on this to come....

stoopified
4/28/2006, 03:16 PM
Hootie Wiley first played in 96. Wasn't on the 95 roster.Correction check your source,Hootie was a Tubbs recruit (prop 48)

NickZeppelin
4/28/2006, 03:21 PM
Correction check your source,Hootie was a Tubbs recruit .

I've looked it up. Hootie was at OU from 96-98

http://soonerstats.com/bb/players/details.cfm?PlayerID=422

Kelvin's first year was 95.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/28/2006, 03:43 PM
Hootie was a Tubbs recruit (prop 48)

I believe he covered that ;)

NickZeppelin
4/28/2006, 03:45 PM
I was still only covering that 95 roster even if he was a Tubbs recruit he didn't play in 95.

NickZeppelin
4/28/2006, 03:56 PM
There was nothing about Hootie being a Tubbs/Sampson guy. Someone said that Hootie was on the 95 roster. Well he wasn't. He didn't play at all that year and isn't listed on any roster I can find. I have a 95 program and then on SoonerStats.com neither lists Evan Wiley. He may very well been a Tubbs guy. I never said he wasn't. But he definatly didn't play in 1995.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/28/2006, 03:59 PM
Correction check your source,Hootie was a Tubbs recruit (prop 48)

I've looked it up. Hootie was at OU from 96-98

http://soonerstats.com/bb/players/de...m?PlayerID=422 (http://soonerstats.com/bb/players/details.cfm?PlayerID=422)

Kelvin's first year was 95.

By replying to the first post with the second post...it would imply you are saying he wasn't a Tubbs recruit

NickZeppelin
4/28/2006, 04:17 PM
I didn't follow recruiting closely 11 years ago so I don't remember Hootie being recruited. At that time I really didn't care about players unless they came to OU. I remember him playing first in Kelvin's 2nd year so I always assumed he was a Kelvin recruit. But I never really said that in this thread.