PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoman: New coach hits the floor

NickZeppelin
4/13/2006, 10:19 AM
New coach hits the floor

By Justin Harper
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Tuesday, after a whirlwind day of being trotted around campus, shaking hands with dignitaries, being introduced as the new Oklahoma basketball coach, gabbing through countless interviews and finally enjoying a late-night Italian dinner at Benvinuti’s, Jeff Capel was ready for bed.

Wednesday, after some much-needed shut-eye, Capel was ready for something else - some hoop.
Sure, the 31-year-old had some business to take care of first. He made some calls Wednesday morning. He went over and saw his office for the first time, met the secretary, got his official university employee I.D. badge made. Then he had a little sit down with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione.

But by 4 p.m., it was time to ball. So, the former four-year starter at Duke laced up a pair of size 14 white and crimson Nikes.

“Had to borrow these,” he said of the basketball shoes. “These are mine (pointing to some jogging shoes). I felt like playing a little today.”
The new Sooner coach, who headed up the Virginia Commonwealth program for the past four seasons, teamed up with the son of the old Sooner coach for some two-on-two. Capel and Kellen Sampson - who, coincidentally, had to take off around 5 p.m. to drive Kelvin Sampson to the airport for a flight to Indiana - hooked up against Sooners David Godbold and Taylor Griffin.

“We split,” said Capel of the pair of games. “Godbold thought there was a controversial call in that last game ... the one they lost.”
Sweat-drenched and looking as much like a current player as anyone in the gym, Capel assessed his showing: “I’m terrible right now,” he said “I haven’t played in a while.”

Terrible by Duke standards maybe. The coach buried treys with ease and even threw down a dunk.

Capel will head back to Richmond, Va., today to take care of some business and attend an event Saturday night. But he’ll be back in Norman on Monday for his first official day on the job.

“I’ll be here for a while when I get back,” Capel said. “That’s when I’ll sit down and do individual meetings with each (current Sooner player). Just try to get to know them, do a little more stuff on the floor with them.”
Capel has yet to watch any film on the returning Sooners, but he’s not totally unaware of what’s in the cupboard.

“I plan to take some (film) back to Richmond with me and try to get more familiar than I already am,” he said. “I watched OU on TV some last year.”
Enough to remember former Sooners Terrell Everett and Taj Gray for sure, but Capel didn’t hesitate when asked if he’d heard of a fellow named Michael Neal.

“He’s the guy I’m most familiar with,” he grinned. “Watching him hit all those threes.”
Capel will get a chance to see Neal do a lot more of that in the near future. And, judging by Wednesday’s action, it won’t only be from the bench.

http://newsok.com/article/1814384/?template=sports/ou

JohnnyMack
4/13/2006, 10:31 AM
I thought this thread was gonna be about :eddie:.

Octavian
4/13/2006, 10:57 AM
Sounds like Capel has the potential to be a beast on the recruiting trail

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/13/2006, 11:15 AM

That's old coach hits the bottle and then the floor.

Crimsontothecore
4/13/2006, 12:14 PM
That's funny I don't care who you are.

the_ouskull
4/13/2006, 01:44 PM
...and believe me. When a coach can still get out there and lace 'em up, the players respect the Hell out of that. In addition, you can REALLY help players with their individual games when you can tell them (and show them) first-hand, what is and isn't working for them.

the_ouskull

soonerguild
4/13/2006, 01:58 PM
the more i read the more excited i get. I think this guy is gonna be a good one.

OUGreg723
4/13/2006, 04:35 PM
HAHA! I LOVE COACH C!

StoopTroup
4/13/2006, 04:55 PM
the more i read the more excited i get. I think this guy is gonna be a good one.

It's gonna be freakiin' awesome!

Crimsontothecore
4/13/2006, 05:37 PM
Yep, you never saw 'ol "broke back" Kelvin slamming down a dunk or draining a three!

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 05:43 PM
...and believe me. When a coach can still get out there and lace 'em up, the players respect the Hell out of that. In addition, you can REALLY help players with their individual games when you can tell them (and show them) first-hand, what is and isn't working for them.

the_ouskull
I've seen your loyalty to Kelvin takes, but I haven't seen your opinion of Capel other than this comment.

Are you behind him in the sense that he's the OU coach and autimatically gets support, or do you really dig him? I like that he mixed it up with the guys.