PDA

View Full Version : Laptop usage outside of the office

AllAboutThe'O'
4/13/2006, 12:10 AM
So we get (actually my boss got it and passed it down to us) a memo from the higher-ups at my company who noticed that the bill for using our connection service was a tad too high, mainly because some of us were using our laptops to surf the Internet (I'm just as guilty as anyone else charged). So we get the crackdown from the boss that if we want to surf the Net, we have to do it from the office and if we connect from outside the office, it would only be for work purposes. Or suffer the consequences.
We've had new laptops since the first of the year and with the old laptops, we could work from home and surf the Net for free since we had a local toll-free number. But apparently we don't have a local toll-free number with the new laptops, so that has caused a little bit of confusion, not to mention a high bill for the connection service. So if you don't see as many posts from me in the near future, now you know why.
Anyone else have had similar predicaments using laptops out of the office and mixing in business with pleasure?

yermom
4/13/2006, 12:15 AM
dialup? ewww

i have a work laptop, but i connect from home over a cable modem

do you connect from places other than home? who gets a dialup service without a local number? :confused:

sounds like bad planning...

AllAboutThe'O'
4/13/2006, 12:20 AM
dialup? ewww

i have a work laptop, but i connect from home over a cable modem

do you connect from places other than home? who gets a dialup service without a local number? :confused:
Yes, I've sent from hotels and sporting venues. We've been told that we would get a local toll-free number but that has yet to be materialized.

SeattleOUstudent
4/13/2006, 12:27 AM
So we get (actually my boss got it and passed it down to us) a memo from the higher-ups at my company who noticed that the bill for using our connection service was a tad too high, mainly because some of us were using our laptops to surf the Internet (I'm just as guilty as anyone else charged). So we get the crackdown from the boss that if we want to surf the Net, we have to do it from the office and if we connect from outside the office, it would only be for work purposes. Or suffer the consequences.
We've had new laptops since the first of the year and with the old laptops, we could work from home and surf the Net for free since we had a local toll-free number. But apparently we don't have a local toll-free number with the new laptops, so that has caused a little bit of confusion, not to mention a high bill for the connection service. So if you don't see as many posts from me in the near future, now you know why.
Anyone else have had similar predicaments using laptops out of the office and mixing in business with pleasure?

....ahhhh, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane circa 1996! (seriously, dialup??:eek: )