PDA

View Full Version : what is the point of PC!!! People are upset because Tiger said spas?

usmc-sooner
4/12/2006, 10:41 PM
stupid.

Harry Beanbag
4/12/2006, 10:59 PM
very stupid.

mdklatt
4/12/2006, 11:10 PM
:confused: x 25

This thread is worthless without a link. Or any basic explanation whatsoever.

Octavian
4/12/2006, 11:14 PM
spaz??

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:17 PM
Tiger called Mickelson a spaz? Dork would be more descriptive.

usmc-sooner
4/12/2006, 11:18 PM
Woods said he spazzed out, (fixed) people got offended, showed up as a news worthy item

sorry if I don't live my life on the net need a link, get off the net and watch tv, or read the paper.

check that probably the same crap. like ripley says believe it or not

Octavian
4/12/2006, 11:20 PM
get off the net and watch tv, or read the paper.

dont be a spaz ;)

slickdawg
4/12/2006, 11:21 PM
Hell, ge could have called him a cracker, I don't care. The PC police need to die.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 11:21 PM
He should go back to eating fried chicken and collard greens.....or whatever the **** they eat..........

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:22 PM
Woods said he spazzed out, (fixed) people got offended, showed up as a news worthy item

sorry if I don't live my life on the net need a link, get off the net and watch tv, or read the paper.

check that probably the same crap. like ripley says believe it or not
who spazzed out? Jim Nantz? what was he dancin to the Osmonds again?

mdklatt
4/12/2006, 11:23 PM

Sorry if I don't give a flying **** about golf.

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:24 PM
take it to the NASCAR forum.

bigdsooner
4/12/2006, 11:27 PM
maybe everyone should just stop talkin :confused:

usmc-sooner
4/12/2006, 11:28 PM
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry I can't accept that answer do you have a link? Like you said this worthless without a link or just to quote you,

This thread is worthless without a link. Or any basic explanation whatsoever.

how's those new online games working out? :D

slickdawg
4/12/2006, 11:31 PM
He should go back to eating fried chicken and collard greens.....or whatever the **** they eat..........

Fried Chicken, watermelon, and cornbread.

and that's me you're talking about, dammit! :D

proud gonzo
4/12/2006, 11:57 PM
in tiger's case wouldn't it also be rice and squid or something? :confused:

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:58 PM
and buffalo jerkey.

Jeopardude
4/13/2006, 12:17 AM
OK, I looked this up just to see if anyone was actually offended. Sometimes there's a PC strawman set up (e.g. pundit saying "wouldn't this person be offended since so-and-so said this?" when that person has not said anything about being offended) and it's just the media looking to fill airtime.

HOWEVER, this time it's because the term "spaz" in Britain where it means "disabled person" is a little harsher than here. The American equivalent would be "retard" or "cripple."

But articles I found talked about how it would offend Brits and it's a harsh term. Links were to other articles of other stories commenting on the offensiveness of the term "spaz," but not of anyone actually being offended.

So no, the PC police is not at your door. Whine about something else.

okienole3
4/13/2006, 01:03 AM
OK, I looked this up just to see if anyone was actually offended. Sometimes there's a PC strawman set up (e.g. pundit saying "wouldn't this person be offended since so-and-so said this?" when that person has not said anything about being offended) and it's just the media looking to fill airtime.

HOWEVER, this time it's because the term "spaz" in Britain where it means "disabled person" is a little harsher than here. The American equivalent would be "retard" or "cripple."

But articles I found talked about how it would offend Brits and it's a harsh term. Links were to other articles of other stories commenting on the offensiveness of the term "spaz," but not of anyone actually being offended.

So no, the PC police is not at your door. Whine about something else.

F the British!

olevetonahill
4/13/2006, 02:15 AM
F the British!
and the "spas " french they rode in on !

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 05:26 AM
It's a Fred Funk quote...........I'm not allowed to modify it.

TUSooner
4/13/2006, 07:45 AM
People who get offended easily should be.

crawfish
4/13/2006, 07:54 AM
Offensensitivity.

Hamhock
4/13/2006, 08:00 AM
It's a Fred Funk quote...........I'm not allowed to modify it.

Fuzzy Zoeller?

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 08:22 AM
Fuzzy Zoeller?
DOH!

I wish I had at least said Fuzzy Funk.

colleyvillesooner
4/13/2006, 08:45 AM
Since this is how message boards function, here's the link:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/golf/266538_golfn13.html

Tiger Woods watches his words too carefully to believe he meant to offend. He probably had no idea what he said may have been construed as poor taste. You could argue that few on this side of the Atlantic thought anything of it.

But in the land of outrageous headlines and made-up quotes in the media, what Woods said after his final round at the Masters caused an international incident.

"I putted atrociously today," Woods said after tying for third. "Once I got on the green I was a spaz. This is the most three-putts I've ever had here."

Newspapers in Britain spent two days admonishing Woods for his use of the word "spaz," to describe his putting.

The Daily Telegraph called it "extraordinarily insensitive" and compared his "gaffe" to Fuzzy Zoeller's 1997 comments after Woods won his first Masters. Zoeller said Woods would probably be serving "chicken and collard greens" at the next year's champions dinner.

British Paralympian Tanni Greg Thompson was quoted in several British papers, calling Woods' comments "a bit stupid" and joining representatives from the Disability Rights Commission and the cerebral palsy charity Scope in condemning him.

"I don't think he meant to be that offensive but it is something which nobody in his position should be saying," said Thompson, an 11-time Paralympic gold-medal winner who also acknowledged the word may be considered less offensive in the United States.

According to Webster's New World Dictionary, the word spaz describes "someone regarded with contempt as being clumsy, awkward, stupid, odd, etc."

The Guardian quoted a spokesman for Scope (previously known as the Spastics Society, which changed its name after being lobbied by disability groups): "Tiger Woods has demonstrated, as George Bernard Shaw said, that 'England and America are two countries divided by a common language.' Although in the U.S. the term 'spaz' may not be as offensive as it is in the U.K., many disabled people here will have taken exception to likening his poor golf stroke to that of 'a spaz.' "

Stanley1
4/13/2006, 08:50 AM
As long as he called himself a spaz, which he did, I don't have a problem with it. Also, Tiger, I agree with you.

Harry Beanbag
4/13/2006, 08:53 AM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/golf/story/0,,1751801,00.html

Tiger Woods has expressed his regret for saying he putted like "a spaz" during the final round of the US Masters. Paralympian Dame Tanni Grey Thompson had joined representatives from the Disability Rights Commission and cerebral palsy charity Scope in condemning the American.

Woods, who lost his title at Augusta to Phil Mickelson, had said: "I putted atrociously today. Once I got on the greens I was a spaz." However tonight, his spokesman Mark Steinberg said: "Tiger meant nothing derogatory to any person or persons and apologises for any offence caused."

They are freaking out more about it in Britain, but I have heard that American newpapers have edited out the word "spaz" from his comments, although I don't care enough to look for any evidence of that.

It just seems like if we can watch television and hear "god damnit" and "*******", we should be able handle an innocuous word like "spaz".

BeetDigger
4/13/2006, 08:54 AM
I thought spaz was just a teenage slang word meaning "to act goofy". Tell the British they can suck Tiger's bangor.

SCOUT
4/13/2006, 08:59 AM
I thought spaz was just a teenage slang word meaning "to act goofy". Tell the British they can suck Tiger's bangor.

I thought it was a classic character from the movie Meatballs.

JohnnyMack
4/13/2006, 09:00 AM
Let's see, still the world's best golfer? Check.

Still schlonging my incredibly hot Swedish wife? Check.

Still worth about a billion dollars? Check.

Still not giving a wet fart what anyone in the UK thinks? Check.

picasso
4/13/2006, 09:25 AM
Norm's a member of the Spastic Society.

handcrafted
4/13/2006, 09:30 AM
As bad as the media is here about overblowing and flogging to death nothing stories, the British tabloids are worse.

sanantoniosooner
4/13/2006, 09:33 AM
The NBC affiliate down here has a uses a monkey named spaz to make pics during football season.

picasso
4/13/2006, 09:37 AM
As bad as the media is here about overblowing and flogging to death nothing stories, the British tabloids are worse.
they should do an expose on flouride and deodorant.

Veritas
4/13/2006, 09:37 AM
The people who are spazzing out about this are a bunch of retards.

duh duh duh

soonerjoker
4/13/2006, 09:38 AM
maybe i missed it above, spaz is short for spastic.

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 09:41 AM
I'd like to see how some of you reacted if your daughter's British principal said he was going to come over and knock her up himself if she didn't start getting to school on time....

C&CDean
4/13/2006, 09:41 AM
Every time I hit a hook into the trees or hit a 4 foot putt 20 feet past the hole I go "damn Dean, you're playing like a ****in' epileptic." Guess me and Tiger got something in common.

picasso
4/13/2006, 09:43 AM
I'd like to see how some of you reacted if your daughter's British principle said he was going to come over and knock her up himself if she didn't start getting to school on time....
what is the British principle anyway? pronouncing been bean?

Harry Beanbag
I'd like to see how some of you reacted if your daughter's British principle said he was going to come over and knock her up himself if she didn't start getting to school on time....

huh?

C&CDean

Well, as long as he's not puffing on a fag, or carrying weed in the boot, or has a flat tire in the bonnet, I couldn't give a care.

Veritas
4/13/2006, 09:44 AM
I'd be really freaked out that a principle had taken material and human form. ;)

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 09:50 AM
I thought spaz was just a teenage slang word meaning "to act goofy".

Not in Britain, apparently.

picasso
4/13/2006, 09:56 AM
anyone know another British principle?

wee willy wonka? pharmacists? unpack that skyrocket?

1stTimeCaller
4/13/2006, 09:57 AM
I'd like to see how some of you reacted if your daughter's British principal said he was going to come over and knock her up himself if she didn't start getting to school on time....

worst. analogy. evar.

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 09:58 AM
Didn't the term "spaz" come from the movie Meatballs?

seems to me it was.

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 10:03 AM
worst. analogy. evar.

How so?

1stTimeCaller
4/13/2006, 10:04 AM
Here we have an American in America using American slang.

In your story you have a British person in America using British slang.

mdklatt
4/13/2006, 10:06 AM
Here we have an American in America using American slang.

In your story you have a British person in America using British slang.

Oh, I thought this happened in Britain.

1stTimeCaller
4/13/2006, 10:08 AM
But in the land of outrageous headlines and made-up quotes in the media, what Woods said after his final round at the Masters caused an international incident.

post #26, second paragraph. posted by CVS. Unless the Masters isn't played at Augusta anymore ;)

that and I like to mess with you.

soonerbrat
4/13/2006, 10:10 AM
i think the gay people of america should protest the use of the word "fag" as "cigarette" in britain. who wants to be called a cigarette?

GrapevineSooner
4/13/2006, 11:41 AM
Reminds me of an exericise I had in Psychology class where we talked about how certain hand signals like a thumbs up or an a-ok signal (index finger touching thumb to make an 'O') here were obscene gestures in certain parts of Europe.

Bottom line is he didn't mean it is a derogatory term. So stop getting your panties in a bunch you Brits.