PDA

View Full Version : Oregon's Jonathan Stewart

Quack 10
4/12/2006, 06:16 PM
From ESPN Insider:

Oregon's Stewart hopes to fulfill potential in 2006
By Ted Miller
Special to ESPN.com

"Potential energy" equals mass times the acceleration of gravity times height (MxGxH).

Or, for the college football-centric, it equals Oregon sophomore tailback Jonathan Stewart.

Oregon's all-purpose threat Jonathan Stewart scored nine touchdowns last season.Mass? He tips the scales at a ripped 234 pounds, and, by the way, tosses 410 pounds on the bench press and heaves a 385-pound power clean.

Acceleration? He just clocked in at 4.34 in the 40-yard dash during pre-spring practice testing.

Height? You mean other than stratospheric expectations that follow a player ranked as the nation's No. 2 prep prospect in 2004 by ESPN.com and who earned Parade Magazine and USA Today All-American honors?

"Jonathan Stewart is all potential," Oregon coach Mike Bellotti admitted.

Potential? He touched the ball 72 times as a freshman. Nine times he scored touchdowns.

So if he gets 240 touches -- not an unrealistic number in the Ducks' high-powered, spread offense -- it figures he should produce 30 touchdowns, which would have led the nation last season.

The follow-up to this mathematical speculation is: If he's so spectacular, why didn't he get the ball more as a freshman and become the second coming of Oklahoma's sensation from 2004, Adrian Peterson?

The easy answer is Stewart suffered an ankle injury in the second game that bothered him much of the year.

But the more complete explanation is Bellotti insisted even before the season began that Terrence Whitehead was his starter, and the dean of Pac-10 coaches after 11 years in Eugene never wavered for two reasons:

1. Loyalty to his then-senior.
2. A belief that Whitehead's diverse skills and experience were more valuable than Stewart's extraordinary but raw ability.

"Terrence was the most underrated player in conference last year," Bellotti said of Whitehead, who produced more than 4,000 total yards as a three-year starter.

Stewart rushed for 2,301 yards and 32 touchdowns his senior year at Timberline High School in Lacy, Wash., which gave him an astounding accumulation of 7,755 yards and 95 scores for his career. It was considered a major recruiting coup when Bellotti lured him away from home-state schools Washington and Washington State, with the Cougars particularly getting their hearts broken.

“ That game is a huge mark on my calendar. Him being Adrian Peterson, any running back would have an extra push.”
—Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, on a Sept. 16 matchup against Oklahoma
After a year as Whitehead's understudy, Stewart said he's ready for his close-up. While he admitted that the hype and high expectations ahead make him nervous, he also embraces the spotlight as a necessary part of reaching his ultimate goal: NFL stardom.

"I expect it for the next couple of years, but not just for me," he said. "Oregon is going to be on the map nationally, so I'm not looking at it as an individual thing."

Stewart and Oregon can make a national statement Sept. 16 when Oklahoma visits Autzen Stadium. The Ducks are still smarting over their Holiday Bowl flop in December, a 17-14 defeat that included a potential game-winning -- or, at least, game-tying -- drive ending with an interception deep in Sooners territory.

For Stewart, it's not just about revenge, or that Oklahoma figures to arrive ranked in the Top 10. He looks forward to measuring himself against Peterson, who will be a leading Heisman Trophy candidate after an injury-riddled sophomore season.

"That game is a huge mark on my calendar," Stewart said. "Him being Adrian Peterson, any running back would have an extra push."

Stewart, however, won't have to do it alone, even in the running game. Much like when the Ducks featured the talented tandem of Onterrio Smith and Maurice Morris, Stewart will have a capable sidekick, fellow sophomore Jeremiah Johnson, who averaged 6.1 yards per carry a year ago and is also an outstanding receiver.

Stewart doesn't mind sharing the load. He even emphasized that Terrell Jackson, a third sophomore tailback, has skills that should earn him carries.

Whoever carries the ball will run behind a huge offensive line that returns all five starters. That group, a pleasant surprise last year, should be among the best units in the conference in 2006, and a couple of junior college recruits already practicing this spring will provide much-needed depth.

Dennis Dixon tops the depth chart at quarterback, though he and fellow junior Brady Leaf split time over the final five games of '05 after starter Kellen Clemens broke his leg. Throw in a solid group of receivers, and the Ducks' offense appears capable of matching last year's impressive numbers: 35 points and 439 yards per game.

In other words, with Stewart at the top of the heap, there's a lot of potential energy here for a team expecting to start the year in the top 25.

However, that merely assumes the potential of a body at elevation.

It remains to be seen whether Stewart and the Ducks go "boom" or "splat."

Ted Miller covers the Pac-10 for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

PDXsooner
4/12/2006, 06:50 PM
he should be a great one. unfortunately, he won't have the opportunity to beat the university of oklahoma during his college career.

CatfishSooner
4/12/2006, 07:06 PM
AD

BASSooner
4/12/2006, 08:11 PM
The guy will be REALLY good, perhaps a monster. However, we have a LOT of speed on defense to stop this guy too.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/12/2006, 09:28 PM
you know, i haven't seen one husky fan here

goingoneight
4/12/2006, 09:39 PM
I'm more concerned abOUt that game than Texass. I hope we can contain them on the O, especially if we struggle as well on the OL. Wouldn't that be awesome to have another nail-biter OU victory?

Rhino
4/12/2006, 09:46 PM
Has he been lifting weights?

Jason White's Third Knee
4/12/2006, 09:48 PM
We had our chances to put that game away early and we screwed up. Next year Oregon has the same damned Offense. That's scarey.

I think we should just let AD and Jon Stewart fight.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/12/2006, 10:36 PM
I'm not too worried

soonerguild
4/12/2006, 10:51 PM
What that article forgot to mention was their defense. They can score 42 points on our defense, which they won't im not conveinced they can beat our defense especially now that it seems we have a secondary and the best front seven in football, but if we score 43 we win the game. Im not certain but ive heard that they lost a lot on defense.

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:15 PM
sounds like a stud.

what about Cryin Leaf's little brother?

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 11:17 PM
you know, i haven't seen one husky fan here
You haven't seen what rack Nick gets his clothes off at Sears, have you?

Desert Sapper
4/13/2006, 06:21 AM
This kid is like the second coming of AD. He's big, he's fast, and he's strong. I honestly expected to see him play more in the Holiday Bowl, especially after all the hype he got as a senior in HS. The Oregon game could be a real test, especially for OUr D. I just hope OUr O-Line is ready to rock by then, or it could be a long ride home from Autzen. As long as we can flatten the two early cream-puffs at home and go into Eugene with a full head of steam, we should be okay. Although, Michigan's demise a few years ago is still fresh in my memory. As long as Stoops and the gang don't take the Ducks (silly Walt Disney character mascot though they may have) for granted, this won't happen:

http://i.timeinc.net/subs2/images/si/sistore/products/2003/0929_mid.jpg

SoonerJedi
4/17/2006, 07:46 PM
I'm more concerned abOUt that game than Texass. I hope we can contain them on the O, especially if we struggle as well on the OL. Wouldn't that be awesome to have another nail-biter OU victory?

Our defense destroyed Oregon last year. Their offense was over-rated.

Instant
4/17/2006, 09:10 PM
They did have more passing yards and more receiving yards.

and they were driving for the winning td until their back up qb threw a stupid int.

They also held us to 3 points until the 3rd qtr.

I wouldn't call it 'destroyed'

shavedmarmoset
4/17/2006, 09:20 PM

and they were driving for the winning td until their back up qb threw a stupid int.

Keep in mind we should've had an extra touchdown by that time. Peterson's fumble on the 1 is something that I doubt will ever happen again while he is here.

If we had the momentum of that TD still going strong, it would not have been as close.

goingoneight
4/17/2006, 09:22 PM
No offense, but we made bad reads, missed several tackles (as all of BV's recent defenses have done so), and watching the over view, you could see several EASY interception oppurtunities. Why in the hell did OU run a blitz on that last play anyway? UO was burning us play-by-play all the way up the field by just tossing the rock over the DL. Read it up, dude... OU only won because Clint Ingram missed a call for a blitz. I agree it was awesome we outstaged a BCS candidate in OUr off-year, but a few more inches higher on that last pass and the whole board would be talking about how bad OUr defense was.

OU's main defensive problem since late 2003 is tackling. Until OUr coaches realize that and correct it, we'll flip a coin to win games and likely continue to be beaten in BCS games. Like the Sports Animal said recently, the "art" of tackling has evolved into a hit-or-miss "blow-them-up" technique where guys are more concerned with trying to take out the opponent than just simply bringing them down. Key word, "down." 1st down to 3rd or 4th down. If guys would stop shoulder checking and wrap up, bring down (which is must simpler and less straining BTW), eventually offenses will wear and break. Example is 2000 FSU/OU game. OU didn't necessarily hit hard everytime, they just covered well and did what it takes to stop FSU, rather than beat them up. Another example is the UT/USC, USC had an extremely high powered offense that eventually slowed to a stop in the fourth quarter, allowing VY-O to own them.

Not trying to argue, just some food for thought. OUr secondary seemed to finally be able to cover well in the Red/White game, and as long as they tackle correctly, offenses won't just cut around a diving fool.

shavedmarmoset
4/17/2006, 09:31 PM
Not trying to argue, just some food for thought. OUr secondary seemed to finally be able to cover well in the Red/White game, and as long as they tackle correctly, offenses won't just cut around a diving fool.

Yeah our secondary has gotten a lot better and we're also producing turnovers at a much better rate than the last couple years, at least that's the impression I get from spring.

picasso
4/17/2006, 09:38 PM

we did a more than good job of shutting them down in the second half. aside from a questionable interference call on the fake field goal.

olevetonahill
4/17/2006, 10:35 PM
Dint WE win ? thot so ;) Nuff said
will happen again this season :P

The Consumate Showman
4/18/2006, 08:17 AM
If I remember correctly, the likes of Ah You, Thib, Bird, and our LB's were getting a LOT of penetration on thier so-called "great" OL. One thing that is going to make OU great this year is that we will have the best rotations at DE evar at OU. With Ah You, Thib, Bird, J Williams, Alan Davis, and Dotson at DE and Pendleton, Bennett, Granger, McCoy, Coleman, Cordero, and Blackard...OUr front line will be a run-stuffing machine. If we allow a 100 yd. rusher, Venables should have those guys doing gasers until they puke up their innards. LB's are EXTREMELY stout with Rufuus, Zach, Ryan, DeMarrio, Curtis, and Lamont and our DB should be top notch with Reggie, DJ, Nic, Keenan, Darien, Jason Carter, hopefully Brian Jackson, and Baker roaming around back there.

AFLAC's not going to score at will on OU. Hell, they couldn't score more than 2 TD's on us in the Holiday Bowl and we were, in my estimation, not near as good as we'll be this year. AFLAC will be good...they may even win the PAC-10, but they won't beat us. AD is too good and he's 100% healthy this year. Remember in the Holiday Bowl that we used him ineffectivley in the first half (he only had 8 yds), but in the second half, he came out with something like 80-85? Expect bigger totals than that in the first half of many of his games this year...OUr OL will be just fine. I think there is one thing missing from a lot of these discussions about who is good and what they're doing to get better..........

SCHMITTY!!! Like him or hate him, you have to admit that he does sem to get our guys, for the most part, ready for big game action. Granted we had a down year last year, but look where we've been with him since Stoops arrival....3 NC games, 1 Rose Bowl, 1 Cotton, 1 Holiday, and 1 Independence with a 4-3 record(should be 5-2...damn cajuns!). Pretty good for a university that was on the downward spiral. Our guys will be ready to line up and smack those guys around come Spet. 16...

The Consumate Showman
4/18/2006, 10:34 AM
Also, AFLAC looses Ngata this year and I think their good CB, too. I'm more worried about going to Stoolwater. They have ruined a couple of our bids for a NC...Granted we have played them much better the past two years, but it's always trouble going into the Toilet Bowl because God knows their season will be over when we play them and it'll be the last game of the year for them. The only thing that assauges my wories is that AD has OWNED them!

TheUnnamedSooner
4/18/2006, 10:59 AM

heh