PDA

View Full Version : NCST is back to the drawing board

ouflak
4/12/2006, 06:00 PM
While we were (supposedly) beelining for the kind of coach like a Jeff Capel, the Wolfpack were gunning for yet another big name. Calipari is getting a big raise at Memphis.

Meanwhile our new coach has hopefully met with all of the members of his team by now, atleast talked to them, and hopefully getting things in place for a successful first season.

I'm sure N.C. State will setting their sights on another big name. But I'd rather be us.

oumartin
4/12/2006, 07:08 PM
soonerfans is dying a slow death

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/12/2006, 08:06 PM
NC State thinks its 1983 still. They haven't won any more in the last 20 years than Iowa State.

birddog
4/12/2006, 08:23 PM
does beeling=feeling,reeling,or peeling?

Sooner Among The Pack
4/12/2006, 09:17 PM
Oh god don't remind the Woofers about how pathetic we are. If we end up with John Brady somebody's head is going to roll.

We are gonna throw alot of money at Jay Wright to be turned down again, then we'll do the same with Billy Gillespie, and that won't work.

And we'll end up with Gregg Marshall from Winthrop.

That's my best guess now. :(

Sooner Among The Pack
4/12/2006, 09:19 PM
NC State thinks its 1983 still. They haven't won any more in the last 20 years than Iowa State.

Last visit to the Final Four was 1989 I believe, and we didn't do much under Herb. Reguardless of what happens, I'll go to all basketball games again here in Raleigh next fall (sans Duke and UNC, which I already attended) if we can get some fire and passion going on.

Watching Sendek's Woofpack team was real similar to watching paint dry.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/13/2006, 07:54 AM
Ummm...No. Chris Corchiani and Rodney Monroe reached the round of 16, not the Final Four. I'm pretty sure they haven't been back to the Final Four since winning it all, and no Elite 8s come to mind either.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/13/2006, 08:40 AM
It is still a good job but it is far from an elite job. Unless Dook or UNC have some unforseen difficulties NCST at best will be 3rd fiddle in their own state. They can be an NCAA tourney team most years but if you are a coach like Calipari why bang your held against Coach K and Roy Williams as many as 3 times each year when you can coach at Memphis, dominate CUSA and still make the Final 4?

It is a little like Texas Tech in football except NCST has won a couple titles in the past. Imagine if TT fans expected to compete with OU and Hook 'em and were disgruntled when the team was 9-3 or 8-4.

LSUdeek
4/13/2006, 08:43 AM
Oh god don't remind the Woofers about how pathetic we are. If we end up with John Brady somebody's head is going to roll.

YES! YES! HE'S ALL YOURS!

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/13/2006, 09:20 AM
So I guess you would not agree with LSU raising his salary, as he works to swindle out what he can from the university.

LSUdeek
4/13/2006, 11:09 AM
So I guess you would not agree with LSU raising his salary, as he works to swindle out what he can from the university.

He deserves to be paid 1.5 million at least. However:

1) The fanbase hates him and won't show up for games if he is coach. I don't like him either, but I still support the team.
2) You can't fire a guy who took your team to the Final Four.

How, knowing these two facts, do you pay 800K more in salary to a guy when the PMAC is half full? The best thing for LSU monetarily wise would be if he left for NCSt and Butch Pierre and Treloar become co-HC's at 600K apiece simliar to the Davis/Treloar arrangement at IU in 2002.

ouflak
4/13/2006, 12:41 PM
The best thing for LSU monetarily wise would be if he left for NCSt and Butch Pierre and Treloar become co-HC's at 600K apiece simliar to the Davis/Treloar arrangement at IU in 2002.

That sounds messed up. You think you can get a team back to the final four with dual head coaches? I'm not saying you can't, but it sure does seem kind of whacky.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/13/2006, 12:53 PM
Ummm...No. Chris Corchiani and Rodney Monroe reached the round of 16, not the Final Four. I'm pretty sure they haven't been back to the Final Four since winning it all, and no Elite 8s come to mind either.

Thanks for correcting me. The deepest NC State has been post NC was the Sweet 16 in 1989. The Woofers advanced to the "Great 8" as it was called in 1985 and 1986.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/13/2006, 12:57 PM
It is still a good job but it is far from an elite job. Unless Dook or UNC have some unforseen difficulties NCST at best will be 3rd fiddle in their own state.

Recently, I think it's easy to argue that we are the 4th best team in our state behind Wake Forest.

At this point, I think the Woofpack faithful would settle for a ACC title every now and then, NCAA tourney bids each year, and a 30% win pct. against UNC and Duke. It had become clear that Sendek couldn't provide us with the level of competition we wanted against the big blue monsters to our east.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/13/2006, 01:00 PM
He deserves to be paid 1.5 million at least. However:

1) The fanbase hates him and won't show up for games if he is coach. I don't like him either, but I still support the team.
2) You can't fire a guy who took your team to the Final Four.

I visited some of the LSU forums and saw the utter celebration that would occur if Lee Fowler is stupid enough to hire John Brady. I hope the search committee sees how deeply rich the Baton Rouge area is with talent, and how that factors in to LSU's success, especially this year.

I'm terrified they'll use the Final Four run and the win over Dook as justification to keep him at the top of the list. He's not THAT bad of a coach, but he couldn't recruit in NC because he doesn't have the monopoly on the market.

LSUdeek
4/13/2006, 01:07 PM
That sounds messed up. You think you can get a team back to the final four with dual head coaches? I'm not saying you can't, but it sure does seem kind of whacky.

Butch Pierre is the attaboy recruiting guy and Treloar is the film watching, hardworking x/o's guy. It could be done with the right mix of personalities and this is definitely it.

LSUdeek
4/13/2006, 01:09 PM
I visited some of the LSU forums and saw the utter celebration that would occur if Lee Fowler is stupid enough to hire John Brady. I hope the search committee sees how deeply rich the Baton Rouge area is with talent, and how that factors in to LSU's success, especially this year.

I'm terrified they'll use the Final Four run and the win over Dook as justification to keep him at the top of the list. He's not THAT bad of a coach, but he couldn't recruit in NC because he doesn't have the monopoly on the market.

How many players from Duke's starting 5 last year are from NC?

Redick - Va
DSHelden - Tulsa, OK
Mcroberts - Indiana
Paulus - Syracuse,NY
Dockery - ???

Looks like recruiting NC every year is not exactly meaningful for Duke's success. Contrast that with LSU's list:

Starting 5
Tyrus - Baton Rouge ]
Baby - Baton Rouge ]
Temple - Baton Rouge ] --- AAU teammates
TMitchell - Denham Springs, LA ]
DMitchell - St. Martinville, LA

Sooner Among The Pack
4/13/2006, 01:18 PM

Redick - Va
DSHelden - Tulsa, OK
Mcroberts - Indiana
Paulus - Syracuse,NY
Dockery - ???

Looks like recruiting NC every year is not exactly meaningful for Duke's success. Contrast that with LSU's list:

Starting 5
Tyrus - Baton Rouge ]
Baby - Baton Rouge ]

Dockery is from Chicago, IL, and Coach K recruting him is actually a good story.

Duke doesn't have to recruit in-state as much because they are able to get players from pretty much anywhere they want. In fact, you rarely hear of a recruiting battle between NC State and Duke for that reason.

NC State and North Carolina, however, do butt heads occassionally on recruits, but not as often for the same reason. NC State knows we are way behind the curve here. NC State has to compete with Wake Forest, Maryland, Virginia, etc. for the "second" string recruits locally.

It's hard to gauge the strength of recruiting from Brady and his staff when you basically have a complete monopoly on the talent pool in Louisiana.

All this aside, given the Final Four appearance, would the LSU fan base really celebrate if Brady left?

MikeInNorman
4/13/2006, 01:53 PM
Besides that, NCState is Aggy, which in all Aggy contexts means they have a sh!tload of farmers for alums, in turn meaning they better not be recruitin' too many carpetbaggers when good ol' tobacco road boys are plentiful.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/13/2006, 01:56 PM
Besides that, NCState is Aggy, which in all Aggy contexts means they have a sh!tload of farmers for alums, in turn meaning they better not be recruitin' too many carpetbaggers when good ol' tobacco road boys are plentiful.

ROFL! spek!

We flew John Calipari in on our "pig plane", owned by Wendell Murphy, our biggest booster and, in true aggy form, pig farmer.

Going from OU (non-aggy) to NC State (aggy)...I know what it feels like to be picked on by more sophisticated rich preppy schools.

LSUdeek
4/13/2006, 02:10 PM
It's hard to gauge the strength of recruiting from Brady and his staff when you basically have a complete monopoly on the talent pool in Louisiana.

I wouldn't say that. The best backcourt players *NOT FROM BATON ROUGE* over the past few years such as DJ Augustin (UT), Demond Carter (Baylor), Jarrius Jackson (TTU) and Chris Duhon (Duke) went elsewhere. JB's recent success has come from the frontcourt recruits in the Baton Rouge area only (Brandon Bass, Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas).

All this aside, given the Final Four appearance, would the LSU fan base really celebrate if Brady left?

A good number of us would.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/13/2006, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't say that. The best backcourt players *NOT FROM BATON ROUGE* over the past few years such as DJ Augustin (UT), Demond Carter (Baylor), Jarrius Jackson (TTU) and Chris Duhon (Duke) went elsewhere. JB's recent success has come from the frontcourt recruits in the Baton Rouge area only (Brandon Bass, Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas).

Ya, I guess the first things that pop into my mind are players like Big Baby and Thomas, who are Baton Rouge kids.

A good number of us would.

To save me some time reading tigerdroppings.com, what are some of the key reasons why?

LSUdeek
4/13/2006, 02:23 PM
To save me some time reading tigerdroppings.com, what are some of the key reasons why?

He's like a Kelvin Sampson clone which I've stated on here before. He coaches defense and rebounding, and the offense is basically -stand-around-and-throw-it-into-the-post, which leads to 20 and 10 seasons and a first round exit... AS LONG AS you've got good post players and one shooter.

He's run off about 20 players and had several malcontents causing trouble in the past. Last year there was a confrontation on the bus returning from Houston where three players stood up and said "I hate you coach!"

This recent success is predicated on getting an absolute off-the-map steal in Tyrus Thomas who nobody even knew about... and many LSU fans bashed giving him a scholarship at first. Dude is going to be a top 5 pick in this years draft and basically went unrecruited. He's caused all sorts of havoc on defense, people don't even want to come into the lane against LSU. He breaks down zones because we can throw the ball up to the top of the backboard and he can catch it behind the zone and stuff it. We ran that like 6 times against Texas. It makes our glaring outside shooting problems look unimportant.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/13/2006, 10:05 PM

Redick - Va
DSHelden - Tulsa, OK
Mcroberts - Indiana
Paulus - Syracuse,NY
Dockery - ???

Starting 5
Tyrus - Baton Rouge ]
Baby - Baton Rouge ]
Shelden Williams is from Forest Park by way of Midwest City High School.
And you really can't count Duke as a true North Carolina school because it isn't. There's a reason why they've acquired the nickname "The University of New Jersey-Durham Campus."

william_brasky
4/13/2006, 10:54 PM

Pelphrey