PDA

View Full Version : South or no?

apusooner
4/12/2006, 05:44 PM
How many people consider Oklahoma as part of the south? I've been wondering this for a while. I moved from OK to CA about 2 years ago, and people tell me I have a southern accent.(duh) Then they proceed to say that OK is not the south, but the midwest. (wtf?) How do you have a southern accent and be from the midwest? I say it's part of the south. What's everyone else think? not that I am complaining, chicks dig the way I talk and everything, I just wondered if others considered OK part of the south.

Ike
4/12/2006, 05:52 PM
I never give it much thought. I've seen it called part of the south, the midwest, and the southwest all at the same time.

But being near chicago now, I don't think there is a person here would call me a midwesterner. These people are just nutty.

I don't know which region I'd put it in, but it definitely would not be the midwest.

royalfan5
4/12/2006, 05:57 PM
As a Midwestern, I don't consider Oklahoma Midwest at all. You all have a different set of influences working on you, than the Midwest does. Maybe Oklahoma, Arkansas, Southern Missouri and Texas can be their own Quasi-Region?

Fugue
4/12/2006, 06:00 PM
As a Midwestern, I don't consider Oklahoma Midwest at all. You all have a different set of influences working on you, than the Midwest does. Maybe Oklahoma, Arkansas, Southern Missouri and Texas can be their own Quasi-Region?

Wow, have you "had it up to here" with those states, Bill? :D

royalfan5
4/12/2006, 06:18 PM
Wow, have you "had it up to here" with those states, Bill? :D
No, they just seemed more similar to Oklahoma cultural wise than Nebraska, Iowa, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. Kansas is somewhat spilt.

Fugue
4/12/2006, 06:26 PM
No, they just seemed more similar to Oklahoma cultural wise than Nebraska, Iowa, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. Kansas is somewhat spilt.

dagnabbit, :eddie: musta slammed into it.

yermom
4/12/2006, 06:47 PM
we are the bastard state

StoopTroup
4/12/2006, 07:00 PM
We are the Center of the Universe.

Okla-homey
4/12/2006, 07:09 PM
Homey's Bulletproof, Incontrovertible, Scientific and Completely Authoritarian Test of Southern State-ness:

1. Presence of a Confederate Soldiers Home? - check (it was in Ardmore)
2. Southern Baptist's the largest Protestant denomination w/in the state? - check
3. Presence of a Southern Baptist university w/in the state? - check
4. Do the natives eat catfish? - check
5. Do the natives generally prefer frying to all other forms of food prep? - check
6. Is devotion and reverence for HS and college football akin to religion? - check
7. Did the state (or its territorial predecessor) send troops for Confederate service? - check
8. Do the natives of the state generally respect and admire military service? - check
9. Did the natives vote Democrat in presidential elections until Carter and straight Repub in every presidential election since then? - check
10. Do the natives' paw-paw's and maw-maw's pronounce "okra" as "oak'-ree?" - check

As you can see, Oklahoma is 10/10 on the Southern State Test. Therefore, Oklahoma is most definitely a Southern state.

You're welcome.

AlbqSooner
4/12/2006, 07:31 PM
Dang Homey, I can't believe you of all people missed mentioning the last Confederate General to surrender being from what is now Oklahoma.

reevie
4/12/2006, 07:43 PM
we are the bastard state

That sums it up fairly well. Here's my opinion and a quick history lesson...

We're a Southern State but we have identity issues. Hence your question. We don't know who we are, where we fit in and the rest of the country doesn't know either.

We were settled by Southerners, starting with the Cherokees, Choctaws, Creek, Seminoles, and Chickasaws. They came from the South (Carolinas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama). They each signed alliance treaties with the Confederate government in the War Between the States and sent a representative (Elias C. Boudinot) to the Confederate House. (I'm assuming we all know who Stand Waite was) They went through reconstruction after the war and even lost territory due to their support of the South.

When the territory was opened up for outside settlement, look at the migration patterns. Eastern and Southern Oklahoma was populated by people coming from/through Arkansas and Texas. Northern and Western Oklahoma was populated by people coming out of/through Kansas. Historically, the larger populated areas have been in the South and East, therefore dominating our "culture". It also explains our political landscape. North and West being traditionally Republican and Southern and Eastern being traditionally Democrat. It may not seem like it now, but we are a Democratic State and our voting patterns are very similar with other Southern States. We can count Republicans elected to the governor's office on one hand. 1964-Bellmon 1968-Bartlett 1986-Bellmon 1994-Keating 1998-Keating. That's all, only 20% of our Statehood history. And it is a direct result of the people who moved here, Southern Democrats.

Our roots are Southern. Why we don't think of ourselves as Southerns? I have no idea. But I for one get annoyed every year when I see Sooners playing for the North in the Blue/Gray or North/South games.

reevie
4/12/2006, 07:45 PM
9. Did the natives vote Democrat in presidential elections until Carter and straight Repub in every presidential election since then? - check

The Repubican presidential candidate has carried Oklahoma in every election since 1968.

MamaMia
4/12/2006, 08:14 PM
I consider it the south since there is only one state between us and the ocean.

GDC
4/12/2006, 08:16 PM
I-40 is our Mason-Dixon line.

proud gonzo
4/12/2006, 08:17 PM
it's southern but not deep south. kansas is midwest. oklahoma is not. there's DEFINITELY a difference

TUSooner
4/12/2006, 08:35 PM
Homey's Bulletproof, Incontrovertible, Scientific and Completely Authoritarian Test of Southern State-ness:

1. Presence of a Confederate Soldiers Home? - check (it was in Ardmore)
2. Southern Baptist's the largest Protestant denomination w/in the state? - check
3. Presence of a Southern Baptist university w/in the state? - check
4. Do the natives eat catfish? - check
5. Do the natives generally prefer frying to all other forms of food prep? - check
6. Is devotion and reverence for HS and college football akin to religion? - check
7. Did the state (or its territorial predecessor) send troops for Confederate service? - check
8. Do the natives of the state generally respect and admire military service? - check
10. Do the natives' paw-paw's and maw-maw's pronounce "okra" as "oak'-ree?" - check

As you can see, Oklahoma is 10/10 on the Southern State Test. Therefore, Oklahoma is most definitely a Southern state.

You're welcome.
Nicely constructed; but just barely wrong. Real cowboys and real Indians means NOT the South. (And I've never heard anybody in Oklahoma or Louisiana or Mississippi or Florida or Alabama say "oak-ree" either.) :P I've been around the South, and Oklahoma is not it, and we should be dang proud of that fact. Oklahoma is too West to be South. I'm w/ Stoop Troup: Oklahoma is the center of the universe.

Okla-homey
4/12/2006, 08:41 PM
Nicely constructed; but just barely wrong. Real cowboys and real Indians means NOT the South. (And I've never heard anybody in Oklahoma or Louisiana or Mississippi or Florida or Alabama say "oak-ree" either.) :P I've been around the South, and Oklahoma is not it, and we should be dang proud of that fact. Oklahoma is too West to be South. I'm w/ Stoop Troup: Oklahoma is the center of the universe.

If Kentucky is the South, than so are we by gawd.;)

TUSooner
4/12/2006, 08:44 PM
If Kentucky is the South, than so are we by gawd.;)
But we don't even TALK like them weeerdos!

Okla-homey
4/12/2006, 08:46 PM
But we don't even TALK like them weeerdos!

Have you ever been to Durant or Madill?

TUSooner
4/12/2006, 09:08 PM
Well.... I STILL say the cowboys, Indians and WHEAT make us non-South And we don't have kudzu either.

JohnnyMack
4/12/2006, 09:15 PM
I think we're 75% south and 25% southwest.

OUDoc
4/12/2006, 09:18 PM
My opinion, we weren't even a state during the Civil War, therefore we can't be considered "The South".

IB4OU2
4/12/2006, 09:22 PM
Wer'e Rebs dammit! We don't eat grits but our grannies dipped Pat Garret and saved the glasses.....and I hanker for a mess of fried squirrel.

mdklatt
4/12/2006, 11:15 PM
Oklahoma is not quite southern, it's not quite midwestern, and it's not quite southwestern. It's officially None of the Above.

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:18 PM
Arkie is south all the way.

us? not so much.

slickdawg
4/12/2006, 11:19 PM
I think Oklahoma is "southern", but it ain't dixie.

just sayin'

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:26 PM
I think Oklahoma is "southern", but it ain't dixie.

just sayin'
nope. we're considered the plains here. not southern. not west or southwest either.

where I live I call 'em lake folk.

usmc-sooner
4/12/2006, 11:32 PM
most people I know consider us part of the South

traveling around the globe after people talk to me they consider me from the South.

slickdawg
4/12/2006, 11:34 PM
It's not like Kneebraska or Iowa, nor Arizona & New Mexico.

It's much more like the south, to me.

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:36 PM
I'll conduct a pole.

if over half the board knows who Bocephus is then you can call us south.

slickdawg
4/12/2006, 11:36 PM
I'll conduct a pole.

It'll be south then. :D

usmc-sooner
4/12/2006, 11:39 PM
I'll conduct a pole.

not only do I know who he is, I know his daddy gave him that nickname from a wooden dummy from the grand ole opry

walkoffsooner
4/12/2006, 11:45 PM
Put me down for south then.

IronSooner
4/13/2006, 12:03 AM
OK is the Southern Plains. So is KS. NE, SD, ND = Northern Plains.

YWIA

Chuck Bao
4/13/2006, 12:09 AM
This may be the ultimate heresy on this board, but I've always thought that East Oklahoma is more like East Texas and West Oklahoma is more like West Texas. Sort of a hillbillies versus rednecks sort of thing.

In my opinion, the dividing line is pretty much Ardmore and I-35.

Now, why ain't I surprised that Homey selected the two towns a little further east of Ardmore to make his point?

PhxSooner
4/13/2006, 12:12 AM
My husband is from Durant and I'm from Tulsa. We sound like people from two entirely different worlds. He had a pretty bad accent that he lost the longer he was at OU. Oddly enough, I'm the only one in the family who says "ya'll".

picasso
4/13/2006, 12:14 AM
My husband is from Durant and I'm from Tulsa. We sound like people from two entirely different worlds. He had a pretty bad accent that he lost the longer he was at OU. Oddly enough, I'm the only one in the family who says "ya'll".
oh man there's varying degrees. Broken Bow and Talahina folk have a hold on one serious twanger.

PhxSooner
4/13/2006, 12:21 AM
oh man there's varying degrees. Broken Bow and Talahina folk have a hold on one serious twanger.
The accents are even worse in the towns of "suburban" Durant.

My husband entertains the yankee transplants at work with Hank Hill and Boomhauer impersonations.

apusooner
4/13/2006, 12:57 AM
My husband entertains the yankee transplants at work with Hank Hill and Boomhauer impersonations.
I've actually been asked if I have done voiceovers on that show.

olevetonahill
4/13/2006, 02:34 AM
Say what ya want ! I aint no dayum Yankee :eek: I like grits and Okra and red beans an Taters with some corn bread ,
Now scuse me while I go Poke salad huntin !;)

Okla-homey
4/13/2006, 05:40 AM
I'll conduct a pole.

Hank woulda done it thataway.

OUDoc
4/13/2006, 08:04 AM
I like Mid-South-West.

GDC
4/13/2006, 08:05 AM
Southeast Oklahoma is Dixie, the rest not so much. I-40 is the boundary, I notice it in Sallisaw, for instance.

4/13/2006, 08:09 AM
Midwest, all the way. Look for that Holy Book under your belt.

OU Adonis
4/13/2006, 08:22 AM

Thats DewRANT

4/13/2006, 08:30 AM
Right now, I'd gladly slaughter and devour any one of you for a good plate of fried okra and onions.

royalfan5
4/13/2006, 08:40 AM
Midwest, all the way. Look for that Holy Book under your belt.
Y'all are the wrong kind of protestants to be Midwesterner's. If Oklahoma was a Midwestern state you would need a bunch of Catholic and Lutherans, and have get rid of all the Southern Baptist's. It's a much different approach to religon up here, especially from some of the Lutheran groups. Also you need lots and lots of row crops to be Midwest.

sooner n houston
4/13/2006, 08:40 AM
I've got a real hanker'n for some beans, onions, cornbread and fried taters! Man I'm hungry!

soonerjoker
4/13/2006, 09:32 AM
born in Okmulgee & i think Oklahoma is whatever you want it to be.

picasso
4/13/2006, 09:45 AM
Right now, I'd gladly slaughter and devour any one of you for a good plate of fried okra and onions.
go easy on the okra.

I overloaded one friday night back in '04. had to make 7 stops on the way to the k-state game the next day.

IronSooner
4/13/2006, 10:06 AM
Y'all are the wrong kind of protestants to be Midwesterner's. If Oklahoma was a Midwestern state you would need a bunch of Catholic and Lutherans, and have get rid of all the Southern Baptist's. It's a much different approach to religon up here, especially from some of the Lutheran groups. Also you need lots and lots of row crops to be Midwest.

True story.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/20/2006, 02:30 AM
oh man there's varying degrees. Broken Bow and Talahina folk have a hold on one serious twanger.You mean Talihina? I concur. The further east you get in the state the worse it gets.

Jerk
4/20/2006, 04:39 AM
I don't care what ya'll say, just don't lump us in with Kansas.

sooneron
4/20/2006, 06:05 AM
I thought the preferred method of cooking in OK would be via flame.