PDA

View Full Version : Global-warming alarmists intimidate dissenting scientists into silence.

sooner n houston
4/12/2006, 08:24 AM
BY RICHARD LINDZEN
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

There have been repeated claims that this past year's hurricane activity was another sign of human-induced climate change. Everything from the heat wave in Paris to heavy snows in Buffalo has been blamed on people burning gasoline to fuel their cars, and coal and natural gas to heat, cool and electrify their homes. Yet how can a barely discernible, one-degree increase in the recorded global mean temperature since the late 19th century possibly gain public acceptance as the source of recent weather catastrophes? And how can it translate into unlikely claims about future catastrophes?

The answer has much to do with misunderstanding the science of climate, plus a willingness to debase climate science into a triangle of alarmism. Ambiguous scientific statements about climate are hyped by those with a vested interest in alarm, thus raising the political stakes for policy makers who provide funds for more science research to feed more alarm to increase the political stakes. After all, who puts money into science--whether for AIDS, or space, or climate--where there is nothing really alarming? Indeed, the success of climate alarmism can be counted in the increased federal spending on climate research from a few hundred million dollars pre-1990 to $1.7 billion today. It can also be seen in heightened spending on solar, wind, hydrogen, ethanol and clean coal technologies, as well as on other energy-investment decisions.

But there is a more sinister side to this feeding frenzy. Scientists who dissent from the alarmism have seen their grant funds disappear, their work derided, and themselves libeled as industry stooges, scientific hacks or worse. Consequently, lies about climate change gain credence even when they fly in the face of the science that supposedly is their basis.

All of which starkly contrasts to the silence of the scientific community when anti-alarmists were in the crosshairs of then-Sen. Al Gore. In 1992, he ran two congressional hearings during which he tried to bully dissenting scientists, including myself, into changing our views and supporting his climate alarmism. Nor did the scientific community complain when Mr. Gore, as vice president, tried to enlist Ted Koppel in a witch hunt to discredit anti-alarmist scientists--a request that Mr. Koppel deemed publicly inappropriate. And they were mum when subsequent articles and books by Ross Gelbspan libelously labeled scientists who differed with Mr. Gore as stooges of the fossil-fuel industry.

Sadly, this is only the tip of a non-melting iceberg. In Europe, Henk Tennekes was dismissed as research director of the Royal Dutch Meteorological Society after questioning the scientific underpinnings of global warming. Aksel Winn-Nielsen, former director of the U.N.'s World Meteorological Organization, was tarred by Bert Bolin, first head of the IPCC, as a tool of the coal industry for questioning climate alarmism. Respected Italian professors Alfonso Sutera and Antonio Speranza disappeared from the debate in 1991, apparently losing climate-research funding for raising questions.

And then there are the peculiar standards in place in scientific journals for articles submitted by those who raise questions about accepted climate wisdom. At Science and Nature, such papers are commonly refused without review as being without interest. However, even when such papers are published, standards shift. When I, with some colleagues at NASA, attempted to determine how clouds behave under varying temperatures, we discovered what we called an "Iris Effect," wherein upper-level cirrus clouds contracted with increased temperature, providing a very strong negative climate feedback sufficient to greatly reduce the response to increasing CO2. Normally, criticism of papers appears in the form of letters to the journal to which the original authors can respond immediately. However, in this case (and others) a flurry of hastily prepared papers appeared, claiming errors in our study, with our responses delayed months and longer. The delay permitted our paper to be commonly referred to as "discredited." Indeed, there is a strange reluctance to actually find out how climate really behaves. In 2003, when the draft of the U.S. National Climate Plan urged a high priority for improving our knowledge of climate sensitivity, the National Research Council instead urged support to look at the impacts of the warming--not whether it would actually happen.

Alarm rather than genuine scientific curiosity, it appears, is essential to maintaining funding. And only the most senior scientists today can stand up against this alarmist gale, and defy the iron triangle of climate scientists, advocates and policymakers.
M. Lindzen is Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220

GDC
4/12/2006, 10:57 AM
pithy bump

NormanPride
4/12/2006, 11:05 AM
In other news: Enraged mdklatt Terrorizes Souther Texas City

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/12/2006, 11:05 AM
I'm curious about your thoughts on this one, mdklatt.

mdklatt
4/12/2006, 11:14 AM
BY RICHARD LINDZEN
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

You left out a few paragraphs; I don't know if it was intentional or not. This is notable:

To understand the misconceptions perpetuated about climate science and the climate of intimidation, one needs to grasp some of the complex underlying scientific issues. First, let's start where there is agreement. The public, press and policy makers have been repeatedly told that three claims have widespread scientific support: Global temperature has risen about a degree since the late 19th century; levels of CO2 in the atmosphere have increased by about 30% over the same period; and CO2 should contribute to future warming. These claims are true. However, what the public fails to grasp is that the claims neither constitute support for alarm nor establish man's responsibility for the small amount of warming that has occurred.

Let's talk about this "Iris Effect":

When I, with some colleagues at NASA, attempted to determine how clouds behave under varying temperatures, we discovered what we called an "Iris Effect," wherein upper-level cirrus clouds contracted with increased temperature, providing a very strong negative climate feedback sufficient to greatly reduce the response to increasing CO2.

"[N]egative feedback" (i.e. cooling). Hmm. Cirrus clouds reflect a lot of sunlight directly back into space, and thus more clouds = more cooling. However, Lindzen is claiming that the opposite is true--that fewer cirrus clouds mean more cooling. The mechanism for this is that less cloud cover allows the earth to radiate more infrared radiation back into space (this is why clear nights are cooler than cloudy nights). So, which is better at keeping the temperatures down--blocking incoming solar radiation or allowing more infrared radiation back into space?

Here's a summary of Lindzen's study:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/Iris/

And here's a rebuttal:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/Iris/iris2.html

Another possible check-and-balance mechanism of global warming is Ramanathan's "Theromostat Hypothesis". This essentially says that sea surface temperatures (SST) are relatively constant because cloud cover acts as a thermostat. As SSTs rise, so does cloud cover, which blocks incoming radiation, which lowers SSTs. Here's a rather long article about the Thermostat Hypothesis:

http://www.discover.com/issues/sep-95/features/undertheinfluenc556/

sooner n houston
4/12/2006, 02:07 PM
Yes, I left part of the article out in hopes more people would read it, knowing those with an intrest would followup and read the linked artile.

What does any of the info you provided have to do with intimidating dissenting scientists into silence?

GDC
4/12/2006, 02:15 PM
Yes, I left part of the article out in hopes more people would read it, knowing those with an intrest would followup and read the linked artile.

What does any of the info you provided have to do with intimidating dissenting scientists into silence?

I got called out this morning for deleting parts of an article not supportive of my thesis.

mdklatt
4/12/2006, 02:38 PM

It's quite possible that Lindzen's hypotheis is crap; no conspiracy theory is needed to explain why his study didn't get published. There might be a conspiracy, but that's not the only explanation.

That being said, there is politics in science. Not libz vs. pubz, but real petty junior high ****: You're not in the right clique and I don't like you so I'm going to give your proposal/article a negative review. I'm not saying that happens all the time, but it does happen. This is why you have to look at everything. You can't just cherrypick one study that says what you want to hear and say "case closed". The preponderance of stuff out there says that warming is happening.

Stoop Dawg
4/12/2006, 02:44 PM
This thread is klatt-nip!

(ba-dump, crash!)

SCOUT
4/12/2006, 02:46 PM
It's quite possible that Lindzen's hypotheis is crap; no conspiracy theory is needed to explain why his study didn't get published. There might be a conspiracy, but that's not the only explanation.

That being said, there is politics in science. Not libz vs. pubz, but real petty junior high ****: You're not in the right clique and I don't like you so I'm going to give your proposal/article a negative review. I'm not saying that happens all the time, but it does happen. This is why you have to look at everything. You can't just cherrypick one study that says what you want to hear and say "case closed". The preponderance of stuff out there says that warming is happening.
I may have misread the article, but I thought he was saying that warming is happening. His concern is that the warming is being played up to alarm people and therefore generate more grants. Any hypothesis that doesn't play up to this alarm is ignored, unfunded, our improperly contradicted.

mdklatt
4/12/2006, 02:50 PM
I may have misread the article, but I thought he was saying that warming is happening. His concern is that the warming is being played up to alarm people and therefore generate more grants. Any hypothesis that doesn't play up to this alarm is ignored, unfunded, our improperly contradicted.

There is at least a little bit of truth to everything he said, but how much of it is sour grapes on his part?

BTW, a climatologist couldn't intimidate anybody. :D

JohnnyMack
4/12/2006, 02:53 PM
I got called out this morning for deleting parts of an article not supportive of my thesis.

How very George W Bush of you.

;)

Ike
4/12/2006, 04:04 PM

the alarm certainly generates more grants, however, it won't do so to the the enrichment of climate scientists. It will instead cause a saturation of the field as, in general, young scientists are pretty well aware of which fields get the money.

Its hard to say if this guy is correct or not about the treatment of hypotheses that go very much against the grain in this field. There are some in every field, and IN GENERAL, those hypotheses, in all fields (whether there is alarm or not) tend to either get quickly contradicted or ignored altogether. not always, but often. Typically the ones that get ignored are not the ones that make wild, testable predictions, but rather the ones that make many assumptions and then predict things that are impossible to detect with current technology. (like say, string theory. oh, sure it gets lots of media attention, but just ask any particle experimenter about it and count the number of times he rolls his eyes...because theres nothing there to test yet.)

To the notion of being 'improperly' contradicted, I would argue that there is no such thing. In science one often sees two sets of papers that completely contradict each other. Thats what theorists do. The 'winner' in these cases are the ones whose theory is best matched to the best available data at the time. Which means that the paper that 'lost' out a decade ago might be revived when some grad student pulls it out and repeats the experiment. Contradiction is an important part of science. Sure, there is a polite way to do it, and an impolite way to do it, but when it gets down to actually determining the way the world works, nobody cares if you are polite or not. They only care about what you have contributed.

Now, this guy may still have a legit bone to pick, but in this case I would argue that it is with the editors of the journals. If his responses to critisizms were improperly delayed, then he has a legit beef. However, judging from the two links given by mdklatt, most likely the 'real' effect that occurs is the one cited in the rebuttal, for one BIG reason. The scientist offering up the rebuttal used a much larger dataset, which usually wins out over small datasets due to the nature of statistical fluctuation. Secondly, he contradicted Lindzens results by applying this data to Lindzens own model, a model he strongly disagrees with. I'm not a climate scientist, but to me, thats about as big a smack down as you can lay on such a hypothesis.

However, if Lindzen suspects Lin of improper analysis, this discourse should be heard in the journals, and in that case, he would have a major beef with the editors.

But to me, right now, it just sounds like teeth-gnashing from someone that was deeply hurt by how quickly his hypothesis was discredited. There are no shortages of scientists with very big egos, and an event like that can be a very big blow to such an ego. Some don't take it very well.

And I reserve the right to change my mind in light of better evidence, ie, more data.

Ike
4/12/2006, 04:08 PM
Oh, and one other thing.

I take major major issue with this notion:

After all, who puts money into science--whether for AIDS, or space, or climate--where there is nothing really alarming?

This isn't true. My own field has nothing really alarming about it, yet it gets quite a lot of funding, and the biggest machines this planet has ever seen.