PDA

View Full Version : I was worried about us pulling in a big time QB this year...

Desert Sapper
4/12/2006, 05:46 AM
...until I read this article from Rivals. If any year was the year we needed to be 'Year of the QB' as far as recruiting, '07 is that year. Looks like there is a ton of talent out there. I'm hoping we get one of the big dogs.

Link to the Article (http://www.oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=516126)

If the recruiting class of 2007 is going to be known for anything, it's most likely going to be known for the quarterbacks. With so many top prospects, led by California stud Jimmy Clausen (http://www.oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=34379), programs looking for a quarterback should have little trouble landing a good one. And with most signal-callers looking to decide before their senior season starts, it will be an eventful summer for slingers.

The conversation starts with Clausen, the 6-foot-3, 200-pounder from Wetslake Village (Cal.) Oaks Christian who will be the most hyped player under center since Ron Powlus. Clausen has all the tools to be a star in college and an early recruiting battle between Southern Cal and Notre Dame is brewing. He's as advanced as any high school quarterback in recent memory.

But beyond Clausen, there is a ton of talent nationally. The biggest argument this entire year when it comes to rankings could be regarding who's No. 2. There are many candidates.

...Appropriately, the Lone Star State is home to the biggest quarterback prospect out there this year. Texarkana (Tex.) Texas High big man Ryan Mallett (http://www.oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=29816) has drawn early comparisons to Drew Bledsoe and Ben Roethelisberger based on his size (6-foot-6, 230 pounds), ability to hang in the pocket to complete passes and his strong arm. The Longhorns will try to keep Mallett in state but will get a tough battle from many others.

...Masnfield (Tex.) Summit stud John Chiles (http://www.oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=43046) rivals Taylor in athleticism and could play wide receiver at the next level as well. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M have all offered early and Chiles is getting plenty of other looks. Fellow Texas quarterback G.J. Kinne (http://www.oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=36593) is a hot prospect as well with his linebacker mentality under center and a rifle arm. Baylor fans are hoping he follows in his father's footsteps (former linebacker and current assistant coach Gary Joe Kinne) but the rest of the Big 12 as well as some SEC schools might have something to say about it.

It's good that we are in the mix for a bunch of these guys.

GDC
4/12/2006, 08:12 AM
comparison to Powlus=kiss of death

Desert Sapper
4/12/2006, 08:16 AM

I don't think our chances are very high for landing the brother of mediocrity (Tennessee QBs Rick and Casey Clausen). I think our best shot is probably GJ Kinne (he of the fancy web page).

The Consumate Showman
4/12/2006, 12:15 PM
The Clausen kid looks like a SUC guy to me.

Had alink that said Kinne went to SUC not long ago. I wonder how that went? When is Kinne coming to OU, anyone know?

Scott D
4/12/2006, 03:05 PM

at least he wasn't being compared to Marinovich...and being compared to Powlus is only the kiss of death if Beano Cook does the comparing ;)

BASSooner
4/12/2006, 08:09 PM
I sure hope we get Kinne. I think thats who the coaches are aiming for because Mallet is a huge bust.

The Consumate Showman
4/12/2006, 08:41 PM
I sure hope we get Kinne. I think thats who the coaches are aiming for because Mallet is a huge bust.

What's the deal with Mallet? I figure he'll go to Meeeechegan, but is he the real deal? I worry about these highly "hyped" QB's coming in.

BASSooner
4/12/2006, 11:27 PM
Noooooo he is NOT the real deal unless michi can make him something spectacular. I've watched some of his films and I was not impressed at all. He has HUGE size but has NO speed, his passing is the reason why we are not going to offer this kid. All the passes that I saw him throw were just fly passes to the receivers.

Instant
4/14/2006, 09:35 AM

Powlus was a decent qb at ND. He was just cursed by what Beano said.

Powlus broke his collar bone his freshaman year and broke a bone in his upper arm his jr. year.

He set 20 school marks, and still holds Irish records for total offense (7,479 yards), passing yards (7,602), pass completions (558) and pass attempts (969).

Not bad when you figure in that the Irish have had some pretty darn good qb's come out of there like Montana, Theisman etc..

As far as Jimmy C. goes. he is a lock to Notre Dame.

Desert Sapper
4/14/2006, 09:38 AM
As far as Jimmy C. goes. he is a lock to Notre Dame.

I concur. Clausen is a lock for the domers. I think we get Kinne, though (unless he goes to Baylor).

stoopified
4/15/2006, 12:12 AM
With 2 sophs and a true frosh already on campus next year I don't see us getting a big name QB for another year.