PDA

View Full Version : High Praise

Jay C. Upchurch
4/11/2006, 11:11 PM
I was told by a reliable source close to the OU basketball program that during the search for a new men's basketball coach, several officials at Duke were quizzed about Jeff Capel, including Coach Krzyzewski.

OU was told if Coach K was to leave his post as head basketball coach at Duke tomorrow, the top two candidates to replace him would be Johnny Dawkins and OU's own Jeff Capel.

That is how much respect Capel has earned from his alma mater and the folks who have seen him mature into a Division-I coach.

Octavian
4/11/2006, 11:14 PM
well thats good news...

unless your reliable source is the same guy who parks cars at the LNC that told me we were gonna get Calipari.

don't trust that guy...

Jay C. Upchurch
4/11/2006, 11:33 PM
They have valet parking at the LNC? I didn't know.

I promise, that guy isn't my source.

RADsooner
4/11/2006, 11:58 PM
yeah they have valet at LNC-- only prob is-- I couldnt find the guy who parked my car........... and ya know now that I think about it-- my car either............

soonersin07
4/12/2006, 12:18 AM
not to slight your source, but i've got an inside source that says brey and dawkins, among maybe a couple others, would be offered (and if duke pursues someone, they won't be turned down) before capel, but my inside source is common sense.

picasso
4/12/2006, 12:36 AM
but my inside source is common sense.
you hope.

soonerbub
4/12/2006, 01:36 AM
We are gonna be good to go. Even the Kelvin lovers can admit his style is to muddle up the game. We will run with every opportunity and play defense with intensity once again (we did NOT do that this year).

Capel will take advantage of :eddie: gate and get players he wants in Oklahoma. Between Kansas and Mississippi there is enough juco talent to be near the top every year.

My o/u for wins: 25.5

BOOMER

OKC-SLC
4/12/2006, 02:51 AM
not to slight your source, but i've got an inside source that says brey and dawkins, among maybe a couple others, would be offered (and if duke pursues someone, they won't be turned down) before capel, but my inside source is common sense.
wow. just wow.

Desert Sapper
4/12/2006, 05:38 AM
"Jeff is an outstanding young coach. He's proven that at Virginia Commonwealth and I am confident that he will do a terrific job at Oklahoma, as well. He and his wife are an amazing couple who will represent the University of Oklahoma with dignity and class. Jeff is one of the best communicators I've known and he will continue the quality tradition of basketball there by building a program suited for long-term success."
- Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski

That sounds pretty good.

"Jeff Capel is a rising star in the coaching world. He's mature beyond his years and grew up around the game. He knows how to teach the game, but he also knows how players want to play it. Jeff brings integrity and knowledge to the process and has a very bright future at Oklahoma. I think the world of him. He's young chronologically, but not upstairs."
- ESPN anlayst Jay Bilas

"What a great hire for OU. Jeff Capel is quite simply a natural. He has been around the game his whole life and has certainly proven himself as one of the special young coaches in the business. He's the kind of guy you want your son to play for. I'm excited for him and his new challenge at Oklahoma."
- Notre Dame head coach and former Duke assistant coach Mike Brey

“Jeff Capel is a rising star in the coaching profession. He gained valuable experience playing at Duke under Mike Krzyzewski, as well as coaching at the World University Games and at Virginia Commonwealth. He will do a good job for the Sooners. Joe Castiglione is a PTPer among athletic directors and he has done his homework to find a replacement for Kelvin Sampson.”
– ESPN analyst Dick Vitale

All courtesy of Soonersports.com. I don't know if I'm ready to say he's the Stoops hire of B-ball, but he comes in with lots of praise for the job he did at VCU and his knowledge of the game. I just want OU basketball to be exciting again. Maybe this is the guy to make that happen.

mOUse
4/12/2006, 07:07 AM
So, you're saying, in a couple of years, when coach K retires, that we will loose our head coach to Duke!

That's just rude of them!

GDC
4/12/2006, 08:13 AM
So, you're saying, in a couple of years, when coach K retires, that we will loose our head coach to Duke!

I said that yesterday.

Octavian
4/12/2006, 08:39 AM

I'd think Coach K would stay at Duke for another decade at least. He's in his late 50s and has a lifetime contract.

picasso
4/12/2006, 09:01 AM

that would be better than firing him.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/12/2006, 09:16 AM
I don't read much into the praise heaped on the guy from the Dookies. They'll always go to bat for one of their own. Dicky V too, who thinks he went to Duke.

Now that we have a Dookie coaching us, does this mean the guys at ESPN will have a seriously overrated opinion of us?

Crimsontothecore
4/12/2006, 09:21 AM
While it's nice to see the opinions of other coaches, My faith is in Joe C. No way would he hire someone unless he was convinced the guy would succeed. I'm glad we hired a coach without the marquee name. I know many of you wanted to see a Calipari type hire, but seriously, I don't want some coach coming in here who thinks he's bigger than the program. What impressed me about Capel is that he seemed genuinely honored to be named the OU basketball coach.